THE WALKING DEAD...and all things zombie

Comments

• unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Okay, so this week I finished watching all of Season 1, and then last night watched this season's premier On Demand.

I liked the episode overall. I didn't think it dragged on.

What really, really blew me away was the last scene, especially toward the end when Carl is approaching the deer with such a transcendent, hopeful expression, and the deer is so beautiful looking back at him. And the close-up expressions from Rick and Shane. And you can hear the deer's ears flicking back and forth. I was completely transfixed, and then HOLYCRAP! What a jolt.

Wow. That was incredible.

I really do wish that they wouldn't show previews, though. What I love about this show is how I have no idea what's around the corner.

I watched "The Talking Dead" too, and while it was enjoyable, it did kind of take away some of the fantasy. For example, I didn't care to see that instead of a zombie, they were cutting into a cardboard box. I like to preserve the scene in my imagination, I don't want to know how they filmed it.

As for smelling the survivors under the car, I wondered about that too, then remembered back to a tracking class I took with one of my dogs. The trainer talked a lot about dogs who air scent, and dogs who ground scent. The air scenters will raise their noses and scan the horizon. The ground scenters have their noses down at all times. (That's why some of the best scenthounds have those long, floppy ears _ they fold down and cup the scents around their snouts.)

Maybe zombies are air scenters, so they miss the low-to-the-ground smells.

I just reread this post. It's astonishing to me that I've given these issues this much thought.

Man, this show is fucking awesome!!!
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    What really, really blew me away was the last scene, especially toward the end when Carl is approaching the deer with such a transcendent, hopeful expression, and the deer is so beautiful looking back at him. And the close-up expressions from Rick and Shane. And you can hear the deer's ears flicking back and forth. I was completely transfixed, and then HOLYCRAP! What a jolt.

That scene had a different effect on me. The way you experienced it is the way I'm sure they were hoping we would, but I was less focused on the sweet moment between the gang and the deer (which was a nice moment, and good to see Shane chill out for a minute), and was really just bracing myself for something bad to happen. I just knew something was about to happen. Mainly because when the scene started I was aware of how much time was left and knew it was the end, and I had a feeling it wasn't going to end on a happy note with them having a sweet moment with Mother Nature. Although it's possible and I could have been wrong, I just had a hunch it wouldn't. So I was sitting there bracing myself, either for a walker to run out and attack the deer, or for the deer to bare it's teeth to reveal it was some fucked up zombie deer, or something.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    That scene had a different effect on me. The way you experienced it is the way I'm sure they were hoping we would, but I was less focused on the sweet moment between the gang and the deer (which was a nice moment, and good to see Shane chill out for a minute), and was really just bracing myself for something bad to happen.
    I just knew something was about to happen.

See, this is exactly why you will survive the zombie apocalypse and I won't.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
    That scene had a different effect on me. The way you experienced it is the way I'm sure they were hoping we would, but I was less focused on the sweet moment between the gang and the deer (which was a nice moment, and good to see Shane chill out for a minute), and was really just bracing myself for something bad to happen.
    I just knew something was about to happen.

See, this is exactly why you will survive the zombie apocalypse and I won't.

Probably not. I'll probably be that dude that doesn't have the stomach to put down one of my friends or loved ones after they turn (even though I always hate those people in the movies) and get bitten. If not I'd probably off myself after a week of having to eat canned goods.
  • mensanemensane Posts: 912
    That scene had a different effect on me. The way you experienced it is the way I'm sure they were hoping we would, but I was less focused on the sweet moment between the gang and the deer (which was a nice moment, and good to see Shane chill out for a minute), and was really just bracing myself for something bad to happen. I just knew something was about to happen. Mainly because when the scene started I was aware of how much time was left and knew it was the end, and I had a feeling it wasn't going to end on a happy note with them having a sweet moment with Mother Nature. Although it's possible and I could have been wrong, I just had a hunch it wouldn't. So I was sitting there bracing myself, either for a walker to run out and attack the deer, or for the deer to bare it's teeth to reveal it was some fucked up zombie deer, or something.

I totally expected a zombie to run up and start eating the deer.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Okay, so this week I finished watching all of Season 1, and then last night watched this season's premier On Demand.

I liked the episode overall. I didn't think it dragged on.

I really do wish that they wouldn't show previews, though. What I love about this show is how I have no idea what's around the corner.

I watched "The Talking Dead" too, and while it was enjoyable, it did kind of take away some of the fantasy. For example, I didn't care to see that instead of a zombie, they were cutting into a cardboard box. I like to preserve the scene in my imagination, I don't want to know how they filmed it.

As for smelling the survivors under the car, I wondered about that too, then remembered back to a tracking class I took with one of my dogs. The trainer talked a lot about dogs who air scent, and dogs who ground scent. The air scenters will raise their noses and scan the horizon. The ground scenters have their noses down at all times. (That's why some of the best scenthounds have those long, floppy ears _ they fold down and cup the scents around their snouts.)

Maybe zombies are air scenters, so they miss the low-to-the-ground smells.

I just reread this post. It's astonishing to me that I've given these issues this much thought.

Man, this show is fucking awesome!!!

wow you have come a long way :mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    FLIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD is on AMC????

never even heard of this.....zombies on an airplane....i'am skeptical
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    Sunday's Season 2 premiere of AMC's The Walking Dead shattered basic cable ratings records.
    The 90-minute episode drew 7.3 million total viewers, becoming the strongest telecast for any drama in basic cable history among two key demos.

:thumbup:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :lol:
    Oh my God, I just realized something.

Sweet Pea is a Treeing Walker Coonhound. (Swear to God, that's a real breed.)

I'm going to be sleeping with one eye open.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276

i take you watched it? i caught a about 3 minutes worth...where the guy in the white suit gets his leg fucked up and then shoots up the woman....

it looked pretty bad.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Anyone know how long after an episode airs does it take for it to be made available on itunes for download?

I don't have cable, but kind of want to watch this tonight. :?
  • FLIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD is on AMC????

this movie is horrible
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
    81 wrote:

i take you watched it? i caught a about 3 minutes worth...where the guy in the white suit gets his leg fucked up and then shoots up the woman....

it looked pretty bad.

oh my horrible.....leave the zombies to romero

this movie is horrible

beyond horrible...their isn't a word for what it was...

i guess that's why i never knew it existed :lol:
    moving right along.....EPISODE 2 TONIGHT !!!!!! :):):):):):)

makes sunday nights somewhat easier to deal with
  • i was bored, i watched it this morning, followed it with diary of the dead :roll:

than i watched over an hour of survival of the dead :x

im not getting this day back, am i?
    i was bored, i watched it this morning, followed it with diary of the dead :roll:

than i watched over an hour of survival of the dead :x

im not getting this day back, am i?

nope...get ready for 9pm 8-)
  • i know, im psyched
  • ot: but does anyone know why amc WONT be playing halloween two this coming week? they skip right over that one, they go from one to three, 4, 5, h2o. im gonna assume its some rights issue?
  • Just watched the first season and the first episode of this season.. excellent thus far. Was not expecting the ending to last weeks.. Rick is now gonna be under some intense heat if he already wasnt.

Another thought: Maybe when he asked for a sign from God, that was it. Maybe he didn't want a child dying at the hands of some worse horrific event... just a thought.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • mensane wrote:

I totally expected a zombie to run up and start eating the deer.

me too.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    ot: but does anyone know why amc WONT be playing halloween two this coming week? they skip right over that one, they go from one to three, 4, 5, h2o. im gonna assume its some rights issue?

I don't know, they showed it last year because I remember watching the first 3. Maybe they lost their DVD of it :lol: But I seriously don't know, if there is an issue they didn't have it last year.

By the way, who else loves Halloween 3? It has such a bad rap, but I think it's good for what it is. Just some bizarre horror movie.
    brutal episode :x
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    They sure are being rough on the kids this season. 1 gets chased off by zombies and is still missing, one gets his ass shot off. So far the only thing that's happened to an adult is T-Dog cut his arm and got an infection.
    it's been light on the typical zombie chasing people,but i like the human aspect of the show and what everyone is dealing with besides the obvious...
    I didn't like Shane and the Fat Man's plan to get to the medical trailer. Instead of throwing a few flares about 20 feet away from the trailer, why not set off a bigger diversion further away from the trailer, and get them all further away?
    it's been light on the typical zombie chasing people,but i like the human aspect of the show and what everyone is dealing with besides the obvious...

i want zombies.....it's turning into prison break with every little thing drawn out. :x
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I'm liking season 2. Good stuff so far.

81, they are going to need to focus on the living. It's about survival, not the zombies. The zombies will get old. They are just another opstical in this post-apocolptic world, but I'm sure there will be plenty of more time for zombie killing.
    Gob wrote:
    I'm liking season 2. Good stuff so far.

81, they are going to need to focus on the living. It's about survival, not the zombies. The zombies will get old. They are just another opstical in this post-apocolptic world, but I'm sure there will be plenty of more time for zombie killing.

zombie battles never get old. one dead zombie tonight is not near enough. it's time to throw down.

if the entire cast was killed off over the course of a month...i'd be cool with that...just have em run into new poeple every few episodes....

it's zomibes....walking dead....not drawn out drama. i didn't sign up for a drama show, i want an action/adventure show. pick up the pace
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg