Options

THE WALKING DEAD...and all things zombie

Comments

• Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    I just don't care that much about the governor to be interested in a whole episode devoted to him.

I appreciate what they were trying to do with the episode...I get it.

Sadly, much like you, I am not invested in the character. Actually, there are several characters that I just don't care about.

It's bad when you root for protagonists to die from a zombie attacks.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    I just don't care that much about the governor to be interested in a whole episode devoted to him.

Sadly, much like you, I am not invested in the character. Actually, there are several characters that I just don't care about.

PBM

I thought the concept was neat, redemption of the Governor, but a whole episode was too much. And watching the series in a marathon session this episode is very jarring. It is a whole flashback episode, probably took place during the 6 months between seasons 3 and 4? So you go from present day to a 40 minute flashback, it starts to feel like the story is present day. Another fine example of bad writing from this show in my opinion.

And can the show be anymore predictable? Lets make the viewers sympathize with the character and then kill them, you know like Merle, Axel, Milton. Am I forgetting any?
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532

PBM

I thought the concept was neat, redemption of the Governor, but a whole episode was too much. And watching the series in a marathon session this episode is very jarring. It is a whole flashback episode, probably took place during the 6 months between seasons 3 and 4? So you go from present day to a 40 minute flashback, it starts to feel like the story is present day. Another fine example of bad writing from this show in my opinion.

And can the show be anymore predictable? Lets make the viewers sympathize with the character and then kill them, you know like Merle, Axel, Milton. Am I forgetting any?

Exactly. Did anyone not predict the outcome of last night's episode? Governor shows up like a knight in shining armor, the old man dies, the young child replaces his daughter and they hit the road. Shocking!

They are setting up a showdown/meeting between the prison and the governor again.

This show has become what Dexter was at the end. Shallow story lines. Predictable twists.

I want this show to be good so bad! It's just falling off a cliff IMO.
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,279
    I enjoyed the Goverener epdode. Although I'm not sure how I feel about his new attitude yet. I kinda like the old goverener but the new one seems like he could go back to the old days at a snap of a finger.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Frank Darabont breaks his silence about his departure from Walking Dead.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options

PBM

“If the woman you loved with all your heart left you for the Pilates instructor and just sent you an invitation to the wedding, would you go?”

Great quote! Sounds like he isn't happy with the show either.
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    stickfig13 wrote:

PBM

“If the woman you loved with all your heart left you for the Pilates instructor and just sent you an invitation to the wedding, would you go?”

How many showrunners have been fired/resigned again? 3 right? I wonder what the show would have been like had Darabont stayed. I also think the show went down after they fired the season 3 showrunner. I thought the first half of season 3 was extremely strong and the last half after it was announced he was fired not so much. I feel that that execs meddled with the last half of season 3 and wanted to go in a direction he wasn't happy with and that's why he decided to leave. I think he pretty much said as much. The show has been weaker because of it.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:
    stickfig13 wrote:

PBM

How many showrunners have been fired/resigned again? 3 right? I wonder what the show would have been like had Darabont stayed. I also think the show went down after they fired the season 3 showrunner. I thought the first half of season 3 was extremely strong and the last half after it was announced he was fired not so much. I feel that that execs meddled with the last half of season 3 and wanted to go in a direction he wasn't happy with and that's why he decided to leave. I think he pretty much said as much. The show has been weaker because of it.

Not sure why they would mess with the creative talent of the show after such a strong first two seasons
  • Options
    stickfig13 wrote:
    Not sure why they would mess with the creative talent of the show after such a strong first two seasons

I don't even know what a show runner is. I hadn't heard the term until this series.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Not just on these forums but i've started to notice that the idea that the show has lost is magic is growing. Two of my favorite shows did this X-Files and Dexter, unlike those shows they peaked around their 4th season. Seems Walking Dead has already hit that stage of the fans saying "the show was so much better back during season x." Makes me wonder how much life this show has left when it is already being compared to previous seasons so heavily rather than excitement of the where it can go from here.

Maybe Romero was right with his critique of the showing being a soap opera. Like those daytime dramas they don't seem to have a end point in sight and just continue to tell a story. This is what Walking Dead is starting to feel like.

With X-Files you always had the 'Truth,' sooner or later the answer would be found, even if unsure of what the answer was. Dexter was always a matter of when he he stopped killing, which everyone thought would be him getting caught or killed.

Walking Dead has nothing, at first it was the cure, then the governor, and again the governor. But really the show has come down to a bunch of people surviving. That is why the show is getting old quick it is just a soap opera with zombies. Who did what to whom, that's what the show is turing into. Oh my god I can't believe he cheated on her, and they almost got killed by zombies when they snuck away.

This show needs focus, what are the characters goals? Stay alive, is that it? That is pretty much a given with every character in any story, ever. They have no war to win, the show isnt over when the Governor is defeated, no white whale to catch, no love to find and fall for, or lands to conquer. Just stay alive for another episode. The season started off strong, same as last but by the midpoint it peters out. This might be my last season for the show unless there is a reason to care about the characters other than, gee golly i hope they dont die cause they have so much more not to do.
  • Options
    Not just on these forums but i've started to notice that the idea that the show has lost is magic is growing. Two of my favorite shows did this X-Files and Dexter, unlike those shows they peaked around their 4th season. Seems Walking Dead has already hit that stage of the fans saying "the show was so much better back during season x." Makes me wonder how much life this show has left when it is already being compared to previous seasons so heavily rather than excitement of the where it can go from here.

Maybe Romero was right with his critique of the showing being a soap opera. Like those daytime dramas they don't seem to have a end point in sight and just continue to tell a story. This is what Walking Dead is starting to feel like.

With X-Files you always had the 'Truth,' sooner or later the answer would be found, even if unsure of what the answer was. Dexter was always a matter of when he he stopped killing, which everyone thought would be him getting caught or killed.

Walking Dead has nothing, at first it was the cure, then the governor, and again the governor. But really the show has come down to a bunch of people surviving. That is why the show is getting old quick it is just a soap opera with zombies. Who did what to whom, that's what the show is turing into. Oh my god I can't believe he cheated on her, and they almost got killed by zombies when they snuck away.

This show needs focus, what are the characters goals? Stay alive, is that it? That is pretty much a given with every character in any story, ever. They have no war to win, the show isnt over when the Governor is defeated, no white whale to catch, no love to find and fall for, or lands to conquer. Just stay alive for another episode. The season started off strong, same as last but by the midpoint it peters out. This might be my last season for the show unless there is a reason to care about the characters other than, gee golly i hope they dont die cause they have so much more not to do.

I like it for all the reasons you don't, it seems. I'm glad it's not following a formulaic approach like every other shitty tv show in existence. I don't know what's going to happen from week to week; one week-nothing (AKA character development), the next week-T Bone gets eaten. One week-several people die from a flu, the next week-the Guvnah is back. Was it more exciting in season one and two? Yep. Every drama on tv should be. That's just how it goes. I didn't get tired of X Files until Duchovny left and Terminator 2 took over. That was lame. Didn't watch Dexter.

I kind of like that we don't even know what the end goal is. With X Files, it was the ultimate truth. With Lost, it was, well, 375 different questions, the main one being "will they get off the island". Etc. Is it a cure? Is it finding a balance and just living life as things are? I think once they finally are able to settle down and get some shit sorted out, their goal will be to find the source of that radio transmission they heard in the car and see if there's anyone out there that knows anything. Kind of like that Will Smith movie. I Am Legend.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    hammahamma Posts: 88
    I don't get how Darabont can act like he created the Walking Dead. The Walking Dead is Robert Kirkman's baby. Frank helped get the show made and did a good job on season 1, but the reality is that the show is at its best when it keeps to the source material or plays off it. I'm a fan of the show and like what they are doing with this season. Last season they burnt through a lot of the prison internal conflict & external woodbury conflict without the payoff that's in the books. Mazarra ruined Andrea and nearly ruined Tyrese & Michonne, who are all iconic characters in the books. I think the've done a good job re calibrating this season , the flu was a great story line that makes sense in that type of environment they are living in. The characters are each getting a chance to shine so when things go to shit, it will hit that much harder. That being said, some major characters need to get killed off. If you haven't read the books, pick up the compendiums. The books are great
  • Options
    Walking Dead has nothing, at first it was the cure, then the governor, and again the governor. But really the show has come down to a bunch of people surviving.

Your criticism is spot on.

They have made the conflict of surviving uninteresting. There is little end-game here.

This show has become "Zombie Big Brother" where I simply eavesdrop on a group living day to day.

PBM

• Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    some of the criticism is warranted, and some of it isn't. i think it's obvious they are setting the storyline up to have the group leave the prison and hit the road again. THAT will be a good test for the writers and can make or break the show. maybe they are a little too comfortable leaning back on the prison/governor plotline, maybe they aren't. but it will be interesting to see what plots develop once they are on the road scavenging again.

for me personally, i haven't followed any TV show like i follow the walking dead in a long, long time. i just don't watch much TV to begin with, so i feel like i have already invested too much time to just stop following. so needless to say i will watch until the bitter end.

i know they signed on for a fifth season, did they sign up for anything more than that? i think i heard they signed up through seven seasons. but i could be mistaken...
  • Options
    rival. wrote:
    some of the criticism is warranted, and some of it isn't. i think it's obvious they are setting the storyline up to have the group leave the prison and hit the road again. T

This has been happening for almost two complete seasons. I think we can all agree that them on the move was the prime of this show. You never knew what they would encounter week to week. You would think the writers would love a scenario like that. They can take the show in any direction possible.

The whole flu thing is possibly the most maddening plot line. Them getting upset that they offed the infected was just plain silly. Having moral issues with killing people after they turned was ridiculous. Those people have killed their way to survive for 3 + seasons now. They are just now coming to terms with the kill or be killed mentality?

I'm hoping for some major movement in the next couple episodes. Maybe setting up a finale surprise of some sort.
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    I kept thinking they would spend the first 1/2 with the governor then switch to Carol or the prison. I get what they did, but the whole hour?? Uuuggghhhh. And I don't care what GOOD things the Governor does now, there is no taking back his actions.....killing his own people like that and the military guys he slaughtered. No way. I will never be sympathetic to him. In that regard the hour show made me dislike him even more.
    I'm sure it will get all entwined pretty quick so we can get the spin off rolling and get back to the prison. Need to see Daryls reaction to Carols banishment :fp:
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,279
    tonight!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Rick and the rest of the prison crew must be on vacation.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    who dies next episode?

oh....and.....lesbians!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    That was the quickest lesbian hookup in tv history.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    who dies next episode?

oh....and.....lesbians!

Looks like Mashone might get shot and whomever she was talking with--can't really see her going this soon, though, she's a very tough, strong person.
    I would think at some point the Governor's bad karma will come back so strong that he can't run from it anymore.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    So half way through the first half of this season and we are right back to where we were at the end of last season..... :?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    So half way through the first half of this season and we are right back to where we were at the end of last season..... :?

yeah, but I get the feeling this will be the climax of it. I bet Governor dies, maybe by his own hand after his "new daughter" gets killed. I bet Hershel and/or Glenn bites it. Rumor has it Daryl might be leaving the show due to movie offers, so he might bite it.

I think whomever was responsible for slaughtering that other group to take their supplies comes in and storms the prison and possibly Rick and "Brian" have to join forces. Who knows. I think next week is going to be killer.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

that's exactly what a co worker just said to me 5 minutes ago. :lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    intodeep wrote:

yeah, i try and defend this show, but fuck...

if i have to hear "we're not leaving, the prison is ours, we spilt blood" again, i am going to lose it.

the governor won't be satisfied with just shooting michonne, he wants to capture her and torture her. expect that to be a long, drawn out saga, and not a quick aim and pull the trigger situation. and how did the governor rally his new camp to attack the prison with no motive other than it being a safe place to be? those people seem like good people and just attacking isn't a logical decision for them to make. at least with woodbury, those people had a reason to attack after rick's group stormed woodbury and the governor was able to fabricate the whole "terrorist" story :fp:

i don't know. if daryl is getting movie offers, kill him off. his character is getting a little stale in my eyes and he isn't even that good of an actor. the best and most talented actor without a doubt is david morrissey, and i'd be shocked if he makes it out of this season alive.

ah well. next week looks good though and then we will be left with a huge cliffhanger until february :lol:
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210

:lol:
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    silver39silver39 Columbus, Ohio Posts: 1,346

:lol:

We thought so too! lol!

So I agree we are right back to where we were last season....I think he will talk those people into taking down the prision says its a much better place but then like someone said above his "daughter" is going to get killed. I doubt they kill the gov at this point.
    Where did you read that Darryl might be leaving? That would not be good LOL!!!
    "I'll ride the wave,Where it takes me, I'll hold the pain, Release me"
    "I'm not about to give thanks or appologize"
    "Caught a bolt of lighting, cursed the day he let it go"
  • Options
    silver39 wrote:
    Where did you read that Darryl might be leaving? That would not be good LOL!!!

the same guy at work who made the lesbian joke said it's a rumour that he is leaving to do movies. But that's all it is. Rumours.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Another showdown with the governor to end the season! Bleh...

Literally nothing has happened the entire season on this show