Options

THE WALKING DEAD...and all things zombie

Comments

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,558
    Lost

See, therein lies the difference, I enjoyed the ride with Lost. They always threw a twist and turn that kept me guessing and looking forward to next week. I don't get that from Walking Dead...haven't in a while. I'm invested as a viewer to see an eventual resolution, but the story has flattened out.

PBM

My guess is about keeping it around longer and capitalize on the success. LOST set an end date even though ABC probably wanted it to be around longer.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Lost

See, therein lies the difference, I enjoyed the ride with Lost. They always threw a twist and turn that kept me guessing and looking forward to next week. I don't get that from Walking Dead...haven't in a while. I'm invested as a viewer to see an eventual resolution, but the story has flattened out.

PBM

I, on the other hand, continued to watch Lost past season 2 because I kept hoping...and hoping....and hoping....that they'd answer some.....ANY...of the questions posed in the series. All it turned into was flashbacks of life before they became castaways. Even The Others turned out to be nothing. I was relieved when that show was done. It was horribly written and yes, they had an end date, but that's all they had. They had no story, and they openly admitted the writers didn't know what to do from week to week. It was a train wreck.

And then they started with the time travel bullshit. Ugh. Don't get me started.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Lost

PBM

I think the writing is just plain lazy. The zombies killing scenes aren't suspenseful at all anymore. Did anyone really think Hershal was going to get bit? Glen was going to die? Hell no. They aren't going to kill a main character in the middle of a season. That's the difference between this show and shows like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones. Completely predictable and lazy.

They better finish strong or I might be done until it hits Netflix
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154

I, on the other hand, continued to watch Lost past season 2 because I kept hoping...and hoping....and hoping....that they'd answer some.....ANY...of the questions posed in the series. All it turned into was flashbacks of life before they became castaways. Even The Others turned out to be nothing. I was relieved when that show was done. It was horribly written and yes, they had an end date, but that's all they had. They had no story, and they openly admitted the writers didn't know what to do from week to week. It was a train wreck.

You didn't really know (officially) how it would end until the last few episodes...it was a nice ride...especially with all the back-stories. Actually, I think WD would be well-served with some back-stories at this point. We know a little bit about the characters, but most of it is from the post-apocalyptic world.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    cubBEE_girlcubBEE_girl Waiting for next year... Posts: 3,365
    stickfig13 wrote:
    Lost

PBM

I think the writing is just plain lazy. The zombies killing scenes aren't suspenseful at all anymore. Did anyone really think Hershal was going to get bit? Glen was going to die? Hell no. They aren't going to kill a main character in the middle of a season. That's the difference between this show and shows like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones. Completely predictable and lazy.

They better finish strong or I might be done until it hits Netflix

They did kill off Lori and T-Dog in the middle of the season last year.

i love the packers.
    I lost a bet...
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    You didn't really know (officially) how it would end until the last few episodes...it was a nice ride...especially with all the back-stories. Actually, I think WD would be well-served with some back-stories at this point. We know a little bit about the characters, but most of it is from the post-apocalyptic world.

PBM

backstories via flashback could work very well. especially during the very very early days of the breakout. i still really want to know what is going on on a more global level. it would be a large bridge from now until that plot but i hope they get there and explore that one day.
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    rival. wrote:

PBM

backstories via flashback could work very well. especially during the very very early days of the breakout. i still really want to know what is going on on a more global level. it would be a large bridge from now until that plot but i hope they get there and explore that one day.

Yeah, I think some good backstories could pick this season up a little bit.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Lost

PBM

I partially agree with you. I thought most of the flashbacks started getting boring and even repetitive during the second and third seasons. They did fix this by introducing the flash forwards though. I really enjoyed the ride though, but like you, I kept hoping everything would come together in the end, but many things didn't. I only really started to lose hope in the show during its last season even though it had many flaws throughout its run like you mention above. I thought the last season was pretty bad. Still though, I know they had more episodes to work with per season but look at how far that show had progressed by its 4th season compared to TWD. In many ways, TWD is almost the same show as in season 2. They are hiding in a place, there is someone that wants to take matters into their own hands that ends up leaving the cast, they go on runs for supplies and get attacked by zombies every couple of episodes.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options

PBM

we'll have to agree to disagree. it wasn't a nice ride at all. I'd come in the day after the show and one of the VP's at my work would always jokingly ask me "so how was Lost last night?" (as he had quit after season 4 or 5), and he'd laugh at my rant of the frustration of nothing happening on the show the night before.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:
    In many ways, TWD is almost the same show as in season 2. They are hiding in a place, there is someone that wants to take matters into their own hands that ends up leaving the cast, they go on runs for supplies and get attacked by zombies every couple of episodes.

If there is one thing in this show that I'm getting a bit tired of, it's the now-constant zombie attacks. I find that mindless violence to be a bit boring (I like it in small doses, but not the way it's being done right now). But I think they are doing that to facilitate them leaving the prison. it's no longer the safe haven it was.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:
    In many ways, TWD is almost the same show as in season 2. They are hiding in a place, there is someone that wants to take matters into their own hands that ends up leaving the cast, they go on runs for supplies and get attacked by zombies every couple of episodes.

If there is one thing in this show that I'm getting a bit tired of, it's the now-constant zombie attacks. I find that mindless violence to be a bit boring (I like it in small doses, but not the way it's being done right now). But I think they are doing that to facilitate them leaving the prison. it's no longer the safe haven it was.

Was it ever?
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    stickfig13 wrote:

Was it ever?

for about 8 months while Rick was the happy farmer, yes.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    stickfig13 wrote:

Was it ever?

for about 8 months while Rick was the happy farmer, yes.

We didn't see that. Must have been even more boring.... :D
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,558
    so I was listening to Geek Tume on Howard 101. And John Bernthal said that the actor who played Dale asked to be killed off after Frank Darabont was fired. But I guess most of you knew.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:
    so I was listening to Geek Tume on Howard 101. And John Bernthal said that the actor who played Dale asked to be killed off after Frank Darabont was fired. But I guess most of you knew.

wow, I didn't know that.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    igotid88 wrote:

I loved that character in the show
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,279
    Goverenor returns tonight! :corn:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

And wastes an entire episode...
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,992

looks like 2 episodes.... :D Although more action next week.

funny no updates on the people at the prison.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I'm not a fan of the guv story line. last night was well done but ho hum for me
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    after watching the ep, I was fully expecting to come to this thread and read 3 pages of "I'm done with this show!". I thought the ep was well done, but I'm always wary of a full show devoted to one character. But the lead up episode to any finale (mid-season or not) is always a set up and somewhat inactive. Although those zombie kills in the pit were awesome.

very odd ending to talking dead, with Chris Hardwick talking about his dad passing away.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776

:shock:

i thought it was actually one of the strongest episodes of the season so far. loved seeing the governor as a broken defeated man, slowly getting reeled back to reality, doing good deeds, showing he still has good in him, shedding his past while still being so damn unpredictable. when he found that second gun in the bathtub, i thought he may have used it to kill that family and use those apartments as his temporary dwelling. the entire episode he had me wondering what his next move would be.

loved his character development last night. hell, take him and that new group and use that as your spin off that the writers are working on.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,887
    rival. wrote:
    i thought it was actually one of the strongest episodes of the season so far. loved seeing the governor as a broken defeated man, slowly getting reeled back to reality, doing good deeds, showing he still has good in him, shedding his past while still being so damn unpredictable. when he found that second gun in the bathtub, i thought he may have used it to kill that family and use those apartments as his temporary dwelling. the entire episode he had me wondering what his next move would be.

loved his character development last night. hell, take him and that new group and use that as your spin off that the writers are working on.

Same, they did a good job making him kind of sympathetic. And I kept waiting form him to snap on the survivors, so rt of how he did when he smashed guys face in with the oxygen tank.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    I gotta say, I really enjoyed last night Episode. I hated the Governor during the last Season, but not only has this episode make me like him, but it made me realize how much I'm starting to hate all the characters at the prison..... :lol:
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    thefixer9 wrote:
    I gotta say, I really enjoyed last night Episode. I hated the Governor during the last Season, but not only has this episode make me like him, but it made me realize how much I'm starting to hate all the characters at the prison..... :lol:

the writers did an excellent job of making him a sympathetic character. how in the hell did they manage that, making the audience root for a mass murderer of innocent people?

just reinforces my faith in this show.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Now the question is...will the Gov return to prior form?

Or has his character transformed into something else? Maybe even a decent guy?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438

the writers did an excellent job of making him a sympathetic character. how in the hell did they manage that, making the audience root for a mass murderer of innocent people?

just reinforces my faith in this show.

Totally - I never would have thought I could have any sympathy for the guy. My last post regarding the governor involved my desire to see him eaten alive by zombies, so this makes it interesting again.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,265
    I really enjoyed last nights episode.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    I asked for a flashback and got a flashback. :lol:

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,789
    I thought it was extremely boring. I just don't care that much about the governor to be interested in a whole episode devoted to him. And unfortunately, it looks like more of the same next week.