Options

THE WALKING DEAD...and all things zombie

Comments

• Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    That was a fairly populated camp (the scene before showed at least 20)...you mean to tell me no one saw those two on top of the camper hitting golf balls, the subsequent struggle and death. Did the whole camp scatter?

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    That was a fairly populated camp (the scene before showed at least 20)...you mean to tell me no one saw those two on top of the camper hitting golf balls, the subsequent struggle and death. Did the whole camp scatter?

PBM

This show is just sloppy now....Stuff like that and the predictability of the Governor's moves. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see this half of the season end like last. Without a major battle. Slick editing for the preview will get people to watch.
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419

PBM

I gathered that the pit/golf course/RV were in a different location. But I was wondering if they drove the RV there to play golf. Or if the RV stayed there. And if so, why? But then again, if the pit was for protection - to catch walkers in the area - it would have had to been close to the camp. Otherwise why would they have the pit? I dont' think they were having arena fighting like at Woodbury. And Martinez was putting up quite a fuss when he was fed to the walkers. Sound like that carries a long way especially with no highway traffic, tv's, stereos, buildings, etc. Makes no sense at all.

Also, the roof of The Governor's RV leaking. WTF? No rain - just sunny skies and it is dripping. And he gets out the duct tape! That part was funny. And also, did that camp just have an extra RV sitting there waiting for a tenant?

And killing Pete and planting him right at the foot of the dock? Nobody goes down there? I'm sure that is a tempting spot for the kids in the camp.

Lots of problems with this epi, but it was exciting to watch. And oh yeah, how did Tara and whats-her-name hook up so quickly? I guess that was truly love at first sight.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,265
    Maybe I missed it as I had a few drinks prior to it coming on.
    The "other" camp that they stumbled upon in the woods. They decided not to attack/loot it at first, then came back not too long later and everyone was killed and all the stuff was taken.
    Are you to telling me that an all out assult on a neighboring camp wasn't heard/noticed by the Gov's new group? Pretty sure you'd hear gunfire from MILES away! :?

I also thought it was kinda dumb that nobody was around when Gov whacked Martinez, then dragged him over to the zombie pit...and how quickly hillbilly got over Gov's killing of his brother so quickly. :fp:

So, at this point I guess we can assume the tank will be rolling in to the prison next week.... :|
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    M
    Are you to telling me that an all out assult on a neighboring camp wasn't heard/noticed by the Gov's new group? Pretty sure you'd hear gunfire from MILES away! :?

Yeah, good call...I thought that was suspect watching the show last night too.

This is turning into American Psycho...did all this stuff really happen or is it in the Governor's head.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options

PBM

I gathered that the pit/golf course/RV were in a different location. But I was wondering if they drove the RV there to play golf. Or if the RV stayed there. And if so, why? But then again, if the pit was for protection - to catch walkers in the area - it would have had to been close to the camp. Otherwise why would they have the pit? I dont' think they were having arena fighting like at Woodbury. And Martinez was putting up quite a fuss when he was fed to the walkers. Sound like that carries a long way especially with no highway traffic, tv's, stereos, buildings, etc. Makes no sense at all.

Also, the roof of The Governor's RV leaking. WTF? No rain - just sunny skies and it is dripping. And he gets out the duct tape! That part was funny. And also, did that camp just have an extra RV sitting there waiting for a tenant?

And killing Pete and planting him right at the foot of the dock? Nobody goes down there? I'm sure that is a tempting spot for the kids in the camp.

Lots of problems with this epi, but it was exciting to watch. And oh yeah, how did Tara and whats-her-name hook up so quickly? I guess that was truly love at first sight.

Oh wow! I didn't even put together that it hadn't been raining. Good call.
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    Maybe I missed it as I had a few drinks prior to it coming on.
    The "other" camp that they stumbled upon in the woods. They decided not to attack/loot it at first, then came back not too long later and everyone was killed and all the stuff was taken.

I also thought it was kinda dumb that nobody was around when Gov whacked Martinez, then dragged him over to the zombie pit...and how quickly hillbilly got over Gov's killing of his brother so quickly. :fp:

So, at this point I guess we can assume the tank will be rolling in to the prison next week.... :|

I was totally confused by the other camp being attacked. My first thought was that the Governor did it and had hidden the supplies for his escape with Lily, Megan, and Tara. But I guess not. And yes, gunfire would have been heard. And if no gunfire, but knives or something then there surely would have been screaming even if there were a lot of stealthy attackers. It would have made a lot more sense to write that scene so that Governor and crew came back at a later date - to either attack or make friends - and found them dead. It's like they were trying to put too much info in one episode. And I have to say I was confused by the headless bodies and the cabin until I read on a message board that the guy on the front porch who killed himself had killed the rapist & other guy, put their heads in the cabin where his Zombie wife and kid were. But the Z who attacked, was that wife or kid? I couldn't tell.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    So I guess we now know...
    Zombies don't need air to survive. Apparently that little part of their brain that fires up after they die (season 1 at the CDC) also produces oxygen which allows for normal cellular respiration and metabolizm. :fp: :fp:
    The CDC explaination was bad enough when it happened in season 1. This "zombie alive at the bottom of the lake" is just ridiculous. A little too far with that one Walking Dead writers! :fp:

Makes the "island getaway" in a ZA much less safe! :lol: :fp:
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    Zombies don't need air to survive. Apparently that little part of their brain that fires up after they die (season 1 at the CDC) also produces oxygen which allows for normal cellular respiration and metabolizm. :fp: :fp:
    The CDC explaination was bad enough when it happened in season 1. This "zombie alive at the bottom of the lake" is just ridiculous. A little too far with that one Walking Dead writers! :fp:

We are talking about zombies that get holes shot through them and still survive. I'm not sure now is the time for them to explain how they can survive under water. I think the real question is how long had passed before he was able to dump the body in the lake. Didn't he go talk to his brother before he dumped the body? That was an awful long time before he turned.
  • Options

I was totally confused by the other camp being attacked. My first thought was that the Governor did it and had hidden the supplies for his escape with Lily, Megan, and Tara. But I guess not. And yes, gunfire would have been heard. And if no gunfire, but knives or something then there surely would have been screaming even if there were a lot of stealthy attackers. It would have made a lot more sense to write that scene so that Governor and crew came back at a later date - to either attack or make friends - and found them dead. It's like they were trying to put too much info in one episode. And I have to say I was confused by the headless bodies and the cabin until I read on a message board that the guy on the front porch who killed himself had killed the rapist & other guy, put their heads in the cabin where his Zombie wife and kid were. But the Z who attacked, was that wife or kid? I couldn't tell.

Would have made far more sense if they heard the gunfire, went to investigate and THEN noticed they were slaughtered and their stuff taken.
    So the group goes back and sees everyone dead, and all the stuff gone. Uhhh...ok...let's just play along here for a second.
    Not ONE of those guys thought "Gee...this neighboring camp...the camp right next to ours just got slaughtered. Perhaps we should be worried they'll do the same to us?" Nope! They just got mad that they were too late to do it themselves. :fp: :fp:
    Wouldn't your first thought be "Holy fuck, let's get back to camp and protect everyone or perhaps move our camp as our neighbors were all slaughtered!" ? :fp:
  • Options
    stickfig13 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

We are talking about zombies that get holes shot through them and still survive. I'm not sure now is the time for them to explain how they can survive under water. I think the real question is how long had passed before he was able to dump the body in the lake. Didn't he go talk to his brother before he dumped the body? That was an awful long time before he turned.
    :lol::lol: I know, I guess for me that was a bit too much seeing that.
    That's a good point. I believe there was some time from the time he was killed to the time he was dumped in there.
    I can see it now...
    Little kid: "Hey Tommy, let's go swimming in the lake"
    Tommy: "Good idea!"
    Tommy jumps in... *splash*...AHHHHHHHHHH! Get's pulled under by lake zombie! :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    stickfig13 wrote:
    I think the real question is how long had passed before he was able to dump the body in the lake. Didn't he go talk to his brother before he dumped the body? That was an awful long time before he turned.

Another fine observation.

PBM

• Options
    mca47 wrote:

Remember the Z in the well in one of the prior seasons? The group tried to pull him out by the waist and because he had been in the water so long he just fell apart. But he had survived at the bottom of the well. I read World War Z and the Z's in that book survived under water. Islands were not safe - nor were boats if you had anchor lines down. The Z's walked on the bottom. In World War Z the only respite was up north in the winter when they froze. But they thawed out in the spring.
  • Options
    stickfig13 wrote:
    I think the real question is how long had passed before he was able to dump the body in the lake. Didn't he go talk to his brother before he dumped the body? That was an awful long time before he turned.

PBM

I thought they all came back after different times, some is right away others can take a few hours. And weren't the heads in the tanks last year still 'alive'? So not really out there that a whole zombie could live underwater.
  • Options
    stickfig13 wrote:

PBM

I thought they all came back after different times, some is right away others can take a few hours. And weren't the heads in the tanks last year still 'alive'? So not really out there that a whole zombie could live underwater.

no, he didn't wait to dump the body. the second time we saw him on the dock was after Zombie Pete was anchored under water. He dumped the body right away.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Hugh Freaking DillonHugh Freaking Dillon Posts: 14,010
    edited November 2013
    too many people are looking for reality in a show about ZOMBIES. "how does a zombie survive in water?"-seriously, you're debating whether the FLESH EATING UNDEAD can survive drowning? come on, people. that reminds me of an argument of which comic book hero would win in a fight.

suspension of belief is required in a fictional show, and sometimes things have to happen in order for dramatic effect, and there's not enough time to make it completely 100% make sense, or assumptions have to be made so they don't have to waste time spelling every little detail out for the viewer.

there's holes and mistakes in FEATURE FILMS all the time. this is a weekly show. much harder with stricter timelines to edit and put it together.

-it doesn't have to be raining to have a leaky ceiling. you just need a collection of water over time.
    -the duct tape thing was showing that he was inept at fixing a simple problem
    -the zombies with the signs were him looking at himself (rapist, murderer, liar, etc)
    -we don't know how far from the rest of the group governor and martinez were when he killed him. But I'm guessing a group as green as them wouldn't have slept very close to a pit full of zombies
    Post edited by Hugh Freaking Dillon on
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    and the other camp being killed without governor and co hearing anything. maybe it was a group of highly trained special ops. who the fuck knows. or maybe governor and co had actually headed a few miles away before heading back that way. what I'm saying is, these are silly questions that are inconsequential to the plot.

basically, dissection of a show is done by people that are already annoyed with it and are looking for reasons to stop watching it. like I used to do with Lost.

now, if all of a sudden a real life non-zombie Merle showed up again, then you'd have something to bitch about! :lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,279
    not too bad of an episod just think it was a lead up to the mid-season finale which looks great!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    and the other camp being killed without governor and co hearing anything. maybe it was a group of highly trained special ops. who the fuck knows. or maybe governor and co had actually headed a few miles away before heading back that way. what I'm saying is, these are silly questions that are inconsequential to the plot.

basically, dissection of a show is done by people that are already annoyed with it and are looking for reasons to stop watching it. like I used to do with Lost.

now, if all of a sudden a real life non-zombie Merle showed up again, then you'd have something to bitch about! :lol:
    I'm going to pick apart the things that don't make sense. That said, despite the "holes" I still find it entertaining.
  • Options

Ahh...Karma rearing its ugly head.

You are a die-hard Walking Dead apologist. :lol:

PBM

• Options

PBM

no I'm not. I have been disappointed with a few things with the show. I just don't see the point in dissecting each scene for logistics that don't matter. I also just think, not being a zombie-genre guy, that I don't expect the same things from it that others do, that's all. I think it's easier for me to not to be so harsh on it.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options

PBM

no I'm not. I have been disappointed with a few things with the show. I just don't see the point in dissecting each scene for logistics that don't matter. I also just think, not being a zombie-genre guy, that I don't expect the same things from it that others do, that's all. I think it's easier for me to not to be so harsh on it.

I think most if us are critiquing the human plot lines. Not zombies. The human plot lines are just poorly written. Lots of holes.

And come on...

You're the biggest fanboy in the thread. Just own it :)
  • Options
    stickfig13 wrote:
    I think most if us are critiquing the human plot lines. Not zombies. The human plot lines are just poorly written. Lots of holes.

And come on...

fanboy. right. I was the first to say that I didn't like the last two episodes, (not because of the content, but concept), as I don't like when ANY show abandons it's main characters to tell the back story of another. For two whole episodes out of 8 or whatever it is? that's just dumb. If the show had more episodes before the break, that would be more justifiable, but a quarter of the show? no thanks.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    stickfig13 wrote:

And come on...

fanboy. right. I was the first to say that I didn't like the last two episodes, (not because of the content, but concept), as I don't like when ANY show abandons it's main characters to tell the back story of another. For two whole episodes out of 8 or whatever it is? that's just dumb. If the show had more episodes before the break, that would be more justifiable, but a quarter of the show? no thanks.

I'm just messing with you. I enjoy your optimism about the show. I hope it comes full circle
  • Options
    My beef isnt with the zombies, whether they can swim or whatever. It is just the poor writing. If the show is all about character development that's fine, but tell a good story and don't waste time.

For example, we had the Governor the last two weeks. We already know who the Governor is cause of last season, so they begin to tell the story of what happened to the Governor after the battle and how it changed him. But as we saw it didn't change him. Same as always. If you watched the end of the episode where the Governor is outside the prison and the end of last week's episode with him outside the prison again you would have missed nothing in between those points. Basically the last two weeks were character development of how the Governor is a power hungry homicidal maniac, which I think everyone already knew that about him. A huge waste of time, instead of moving the story forward they just decide to go in a circle.

If we saw the Governor in charge with a new group of people I bet nearly everyone would have assumed something like what happened, happened. It should have went without saying. Instead waste 2 weeks of telling nothing new. Can someone give the show writers a copy of Huckleberry Finn? They really have no clue what they are doing.
  • Options
    From my show-prep website this morning:

Walking Dead co-star Norman Reedus is in the running for the lead role of the latest remake of The Crow.

PBM

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,789
    My beef isnt with the zombies, whether they can swim or whatever. It is just the poor writing. If the show is all about character development that's fine, but tell a good story and don't waste time.

For example, we had the Governor the last two weeks. We already know who the Governor is cause of last season, so they begin to tell the story of what happened to the Governor after the battle and how it changed him. But as we saw it didn't change him. Same as always. If you watched the end of the episode where the Governor is outside the prison and the end of last week's episode with him outside the prison again you would have missed nothing in between those points. Basically the last two weeks were character development of how the Governor is a power hungry homicidal maniac, which I think everyone already knew that about him. A huge waste of time, instead of moving the story forward they just decide to go in a circle.

If we saw the Governor in charge with a new group of people I bet nearly everyone would have assumed something like what happened, happened. It should have went without saying. Instead waste 2 weeks of telling nothing new. Can someone give the show writers a copy of Huckleberry Finn? They really have no clue what they are doing.

Yep. The last 2 episodes felt like a complete waste.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    M

I think what made it more disappointing is how it did go full circle. With the first of the 2 episodes I started to wonder if he was redeeming himself, maybe even feeling remorse for his past actions; and maybe he did, but was so corrupted a soul that when then opportunity presented itself, he reverted to the evil character. The actor plays him well though - that kind of sideways look he gives people is pretty creepy. I do hope Michonne survives though.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    JaneNY wrote:
    The actor plays him well though

Liam Neeson is the Governor's doppelganger.

PBM

• Options
    while I agree that 2 full episodes without the main cast is odd and felt a bit much, those of you saying it was a complete waste seem to be forgetting the preview of next week; he's got a whole new group about to attack the prison with him. he's not alone. he's got a new group.

had we not been introduced to this group and learned the background and how Governor became their leader, everyone would be bitching and moaning about "who the fuck are these people with the governor? there should have been some introduction into the show before we got to this point!".

I think they could have gone back and forth from New Woodbury to the prison though. I didn't like that much time devoted to one character.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014