The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    JK_Livin said:

Just like Jay Wright should, I'm going to throw the tape of that Nova game last night. It was the 1st chance I've had to see them play this year. Wragge, are you kidding me?

that Wragge dude had 7 threes against the Hawks in Hagan earlier in the year. some of those last night were unbelievably deep. pretty shocking to see this Nova team down by 40 at one point.
    Hawks win at Dayton last night puts them in position to make a run at this thing. Next three games are all home games. Umass, VCU and St. Louis. win 2 out of 3 out of those and could find themselves looking squarely on the bubble. I think Hawks win Saturday night against Umass and have no shot against St. Louis so the biggest game could be VCU next Wednesday night. Looking forward to 3 good home games though.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    No comment from the LaSalle crowd. Coaching has been sub par.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    the good doctor not getting it done this year?

i'm headed down on saturday for the dismemberment of the temple owl. got about 10 of us and we'll be at the draught horse around 1. this will not be pretty.

go. cats.
    www.myspace.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    anyone go to the Nova/Temple game?

Also nice win for St. Joe's against UMass. I think their still on the bubble though :-S
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    edited February 2014

Also nice win for St. Joe's against UMass. I think their still on the bubble though :-S

yeah i think i was there. many beers and shots were consumed so my memory is a little fuzzy

EDIT--hey it looks like a few top 10 teams lost yesterday so nova should be about 6 in the new rankings tomorrow. not that it means anything at this point but still pretty cool to be that high.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710

yeah i think i was there. many beers and shots were consumed so my memory is a little fuzzy

EDIT--hey it looks like a few top 10 teams lost yesterday so nova should be about 6 in the new rankings tomorrow. not that it means anything at this point but still pretty cool to be that high.
    always like seeing duke lose
    www.myspace.com

still on the wrong side of the bubble. RPI in the 50s after the Umass win. that was the 1st good win. good news is only temple is a bad loss for the Hawks so far. Next two games are St. Louis and VCU both at home and A10 has 8 other teams in top 100 of the RPI so plenty of chances for good wins. 15 wins at the moment and probably have to get to 22 after the A10 Tourny to get a bid. still hope and still a frustrating team to watch.
    edited February 2014
    bell. james, bell.
    www.myspace.com
    ochefu is the key to this team making a very deep run next month. usually when the 3's are not dropping, nova struggles. but this guy, last night, really picked them up with his play inside. he's turned into a very good passer for a big man. him and pinkston have a decent high/low game going on right now. if this version of ochefu was playing earlier in the season, they may have held on to beat syracuse.

creighton rematch next sunday. can't wait
    www.myspace.com
    so the Hawks 8 days played out just as I said it would. Beat Umass, no shot against St. Louis and the VCU game would determine whether contenders or not. 2 big wins and now right there at the bubble with RPI in the 40s now. Week off until LaSalle next Saturday morning. yes morning, 11 am at LaSalle.

I wonder how Nova fans are really feeling. why im sure they are thrilled to have such a great record and a lock probably 2 seed it has to be a bit boring with such a diminished schedule compared to previous years. I mean has Nova had one good home game? the only really good team they played at home was up 40 on them at one point. I know they did what they had to do with the league but has to be a bit of a letdown.

anyone have power problems from the Ice Storm? crazy that some people are still out and might be out until Tuesday. Honestly with only 700k that went out and taking a week to get them all back up frightens me a bit to think how long a much bigger ice storm and larger amounts of people being without power how long it would take to get everyone back up. kind of scary to think about.
    edited February 2014
    destroying teams on a nightly basis, on fox sports 1, and having a shot at a 2 seed is no let down...just maybe not as exciting as closer games would be.

nova's SOS is actually higher than it was last year. last year they were 22, currently they are ranted 13th. that's what playing and beating kansas and iowa does for you, i guess. hopefully they can play syracuse on a yearly basis. but it's not like the aac is any better of a conference. they would be crushing those teams about as easily....the bonus would be beating temple twice. haha.

so far, conference realignment could not have worked out any better for the cats. got a very good recruiting class on board too, so that didn't suffer like some anticipated.
    www.myspace.com

destroying teams on a nightly basis, on fox sports 1, and having a shot at a 2 seed is no let down...just maybe not as exciting as closer games would be.

nova's SOS is actually higher than it was last year. last year they were 22, currently they are ranted 13th. that's what playing and beating kansas and iowa does for you, i guess. hopefully they can play syracuse on a yearly basis. but it's not like the aac is any better of a conference. they would be crushing those teams about as easily....the bonus would be beating temple twice. haha.

so far, conference realignment could not have worked out any better for the cats. got a very good recruiting class on board too, so that didn't suffer like some anticipated.

nova made the best of a bad situation they had little control over but conference realignment destroyed one of the two best college hoops leagues of all time so I wouldn't say it worked out well for them. I think any season ticket holder at Nova has to be disappointed in a home slate where the two best teams you have played at home to this point are Creighton and LaSalle. Far leap down from Syracuse, Louisville and UConn wouldn't you say?
    LaSalle almost won!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    pjhawks said:

nova made the best of a bad situation they had little control over but conference realignment destroyed one of the two best college hoops leagues of all time so I wouldn't say it worked out well for them. I think any season ticket holder at Nova has to be disappointed in a home slate where the two best teams you have played at home to this point are Creighton and LaSalle. Far leap down from Syracuse, Louisville and UConn wouldn't you say?
    The Wells Fargo games this year were a joke.

pjhawks said:

you are stating the obvious. keeping the old big east together would have been the ideal scenario. but with how things went down nova ended up in a much better situation than i could have imagined. as long as they keep their out of conference schedule strong (at least until the league expands in a few years) they will be fine.

and we talked about this before, but i don't think the conference is that bad. it's just a shame that marquette, gtown, and butler are going through down years at the same time...if those three were having their typical kind of season, the big east would be looking at 6 or 7 teams, out of 10, with a shot at the tourney.

whatever....nova is stream rolling through their schedule with one of wright's best ever teams and i am loving every second of it. this team is awesome.
    www.myspace.com

pjhawks said:

what do you mean? there has only been one so far.

the others will be st johns, marquette, and gtown. marquette and gtown are always there anyway...the johnnies have been playing better as of late too. they beat creighton yesterday.
    www.myspace.com

pjhawks said:

the others will be st johns, marquette, and gtown. marquette and gtown are always there anyway...the johnnies have been playing better as of late too. they beat creighton yesterday.
    I don't know, I always have at least a little interest in some of those games. Didn't realize only one had been played but when I looked at the schedule a while back and nothing was at all appealing. One good team on that lineup though.

pjhawks said:

you are stating the obvious. keeping the old big east together would have been the ideal scenario. but with how things went down nova ended up in a much better situation than i could have imagined. as long as they keep their out of conference schedule strong (at least until the league expands in a few years) they will be fine.

and we talked about this before, but i don't think the conference is that bad. it's just a shame that marquette, gtown, and butler are going through down years at the same time...if those three were having their typical kind of season, the big east would be looking at 6 or 7 teams, out of 10, with a shot at the tourney.

whatever....nova is stream rolling through their schedule with one of wright's best ever teams and i am loving every second of it. this team is awesome.
    as stated I did say they made the best of a bad situation.

I'm pretty sure Syracuse comes in next year for them returning this years game.

they are really good. I think I said back in December I could see them ending up something like 27-3 in the regular season. definitely looking like a solid 2 seed.

pjhawks said:

I don't know, I always have at least a little interest in some of those games. Didn't realize only one had been played but when I looked at the schedule a while back and nothing was at all appealing. One good team on that lineup though.

well cliff, we have your school to blame for that don't we? haha

gtown and marquette are usually great games to see though. down years so far for those squads. plus gtown is really banged up.
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

as stated I did say they made the best of a bad situation.

I'm pretty sure Syracuse comes in next year for them returning this years game.

they are really good. I think I said back in December I could see them ending up something like 27-3 in the regular season. definitely looking like a solid 2 seed.
    lunardi has had them in syracuse's bracket for a while now. that would be awesome. 2nd week match ups could be pitt and the cuse. old school.
    www.myspace.com
    and the East Regional is at MSG this year. Think 1st round Buffalo and Charlotte or somewhere in NC. so if they get into the East with Cuse it will be like the old Big East Tourney somewhat.
    JK_Livin said:

LaSalle almost won!

going tomorrow Jk_livin? as of now i have tickets but if it fucking snows again I'm probably not heading down. hawks gotta keep winning to get on right side of the bubble. their RPI is mid 40s as of now.
    I can't. Too much to do this weekend. I'm not expecting a good result on my end even though they've had some tough loses lately.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin said:

I can't. Too much to do this weekend. I'm not expecting a good result on my end even though they've had some tough loses lately.

i can't get a feel for this game. all i remember is LaSalle's guards abusing the Hawks last year so not sure how we defend them this year. i imagine it's going to be a tight one though.
    edited February 2014
    We have no one and i mean no one that can cover Halil. The ball should be in his hands on every possession. Our bigs are decent but lack quickness.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin said:

We have no one and i mean no one that can cover Halil. The ball should be in his hands on every possession. Our bigs are decent but lack quickness.

he has played like a 1st team all league guy this year. he's been great. Roberts has sucked lately so he is due for a big game.
    good win for the Hawks. basically controlled the game. LaSalle just not the same team as last year. I thought LaSalle's defense was pretty terrible. Hawks could have gotten anything they wanted.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    nova not looking to good against Creighton again
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA