The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Another transfer from Auburn this time. I like 6-5 guards. Not sure of his eligibility but I'd assume he'd be sitting out this year.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecru ... rice-73313

LaSalle becoming Transfer U. how many scholarships do they get?

how did it feel seeing Gary Neal in the NBA Finals? If he was a Hawk guy would not have been too proud of that.

Nova officially becomes a mid-major on July 1st. Welcome to our side Juggler :D

Don't get me wrong, I didn't think Neal would be that successful in the NBA, but you could tell he had the shooting range and size to have a chance. I didn't bother me, good for him. He had to go through a lot to get to where he is now. The charges were drop against him and LaSalle's hands were tied because the coaches knew something may have happened and didn't report it. Those were some dark days at LaSalle.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

what mid major conference has guys like gus johnson and bill raferty calling their games? i've seen a10 games called by the likes of tom mccarthy and scott graham. :lol: ONIONS!

i like the new commish. the fox deal is great. and nova just landed mikal bridges for 2014. future is bright on lancaster avenue, my friend. you must be confusing the big east with the american conference...or whatever the one temple's in is calling themselves :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

what mid major conference has guys like gus johnson and bill raferty calling their games? i've seen a10 games called by the likes of tom mccarthy and scott graham. :lol: ONIONS!

i like the new commish. the fox deal is great. and nova just landed mikal bridges for 2014. future is bright on lancaster avenue, my friend. you must be confusing the big east with the american conference...or whatever the one temple's in is calling themselves :lol:

let me remind you that mid-major is defined as not having BCS Football teams in said conference so....yup mid-major it is.

love gus Johnson but currently doing soccer...even gus Johnson doesn't make soccer exciting.
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

let me remind you that mid-major is defined as not having BCS Football teams in said conference so....yup mid-major it is.

love gus Johnson but currently doing soccer...even gus Johnson doesn't make soccer exciting.

the term mid major was coined decades before the bcs started. it referred to any conference outside of the top 6 conferences, which included the big east who did not have a major football conference until the early nineties. ackerman will do everything she can to keep this conference at the big boy's table even without football. screw the bcs anyway. :mrgreen:

whatever you want to call it, it's better than the left over american athletic conference. going back to the big east's basketball centric routes. i like it.

marathon of games on the new fox sports channel on new years eve to start things off with nova at buter as the marquee game at 7:30. hope it becomes a new tradition. cant wait.
    www.myspace.com

the term mid major was coined decades before the bcs started. it referred to any conference outside of the top 6 conferences, which included the big east who did not have a major football conference until the early nineties. ackerman will do everything she can to keep this conference at the big boy's table even without football. screw the bcs anyway. :mrgreen:

whatever you want to call it, it's better than the left over american athletic conference. going back to the big east's basketball centric routes. i like it.

marathon of games on the new fox sports channel on new years eve to start things off with nova at buter as the marquee game at 7:30. hope it becomes a new tradition. cant wait.

Vs. AAC , as of now before some of those leave, it's very close at the top with Louisville, Uconn, Memphis and Temple. the mid and lower level of the AAC sucks though.

Nova is a huge key to the long term success of this league. the league needs a consistent top 10-15 program. Georgetown just can't seem to have ncca tourny success. I think Xavier is going to be great in this league long term. Nova-Xavier should end up being a pretty good rivalry (one reason being is the X fans are as obnoxious as nova fans).

did not see that about New Year's Eve. that should be cool.
    pjhawks wrote:

Vs. AAC , as of now before some of those leave, it's very close at the top with Louisville, Uconn, Memphis and Temple. the mid and lower level of the AAC sucks though.

Nova is a huge key to the long term success of this league. the league needs a consistent top 10-15 program. Georgetown just can't seem to have ncca tourny success. I think Xavier is going to be great in this league long term. Nova-Xavier should end up being a pretty good rivalry (one reason being is the X fans are as obnoxious as nova fans).

did not see that about New Year's Eve. that should be cool.

gtown was in the final four 5 or 6 years ago but, yeah, haven't made it past the first weekend since. still always a top 20-25 team though. they will be good next year even with losing otto. lot of young talent on that team.
    www.myspace.com
    A-10 Strong!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer

umm yea so much for that ;)
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,759
    pjhawks wrote:

Yea, who is Butler gonna hire?
    cutz wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

it's not like they were awful before stevens got there. quite the contrary:
    http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... r-program/

definitely hurts the new conference a bit because he was a big name and a great coach. but they've had quality coaches and a quality program before he got there and they still have a talented roster.

i can't wait for college b ball to start up again.
    www.myspace.com
    cutz wrote:

definitely hurts the new conference a bit because he was a big name and a great coach. but they've had quality coaches and a quality program before he got there and they still have a talented roster.

If all the players decide to stay. They are free to transfer now, aren't they?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    cutz wrote:

If all the players decide to stay. They are free to transfer now, aren't they?

good point. not sure how that works.
    www.myspace.com
    ^^^^^^Not sure, but i still think the players have to ask for a release & the School has to sign off on it before they can transfer.^^^^^^^^^^^^
    cutz wrote:
    ^^^^^^Not sure, but i still think the players have to ask for a release & the School has to sign off on it before they can transfer.^^^^^^^^^^^^

yo man...do you have a take on this mikal bridges kid? local product...
    www.myspace.com
    cutz wrote:

Sorry, but i don't.

I think the camp at Philly U. is next week. Maybe he'll be ther? I have a scouting friend of mine who will be ther. I may go over one day, but not sure i can make it. If not, i could ask my friend about him(though he probably already knows about him).
    cutz wrote:
    cutz wrote:

Sorry, but i don't.

I think the camp at Philly U. is next week. Maybe he'll be ther? I have a scouting friend of mine who will be ther. I may go over one day, but not sure i can make it. If not, i could ask my friend about him(though he probably already knows about him).

damn dude. i thought you knew about all these local kids. :lol:

no idea if he will be there. if your friend goes or if you hear anything, a little report would be appreciated. no big deal. looks like a pretty nice recruit for the cats though. can't wait to see him in a couple years.
    www.myspace.com
    cutz wrote:
    [quote="The Juggler"

Sorry, but i don't.

damn dude. i thought you knew about all these local kids. :lol:

no idea if he will be there. if your friend goes or if you hear anything, a little report would be appreciated. no big deal. looks like a pretty nice recruit for the cats though. can't wait to see him in a couple years.

Yea man, i've been slacking> :lol: >I wasn't able to get out like i wanted to this past winter. I usually don't get out much in the Summer(better things to do then sit in a Gym all day/night). I may go out 2-3 events in the Summer.

If i go to Philly U. this week, and Bridges is ther i'll tell you what i think about him. If not, i'll ask my friend.
    7 votes!!!
    Here we go Explorers!
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    7 votes!!!
    Here we go Explorers!

nova and temple got some votes too ;)
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Just bought courtside seats for the towson/temple game on 11/14. Looking forward to seeing the Tigers in the tourney this year
    JK_Livin wrote:
    7 votes!!!
    Here we go Explorers!

nova and temple got some votes too ;)

Sorry, I must've overlooked that. :D
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    Looks like everyone is in action this weekend.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Looks like everyone is in action this weekend.

going to be a strange year with all the conference changes. no Temple in the A10, no Syracuse and Pitt in the Big East.

I have no gut feeling on this Hawks team. they can go either way. so much depends on Chris Wilson at point guard. concerns me that the Hawks really have only one shooter and guard depth off the bench is a guy coming off 3 knee injuries in Kyle Molock. he had originally committed to Purdue in his junior year before getting hurt. still very solid inside with Roberts and Kanocevic though. Martelli signed through 2016 but if things go bad this year could be it. natives are very restless on Hawk Hill.

A10 without Xavier is going to be interesting. St. Louis and VCU look to be the top teams. Lasalle should be in the next tier I think. Interesting how much they will miss Galloway.

I think Nova is underrated in the new Big East. I think they were picked 4th but I see them finishing around 2nd.

Temple - new tough conference for them but that is another team that I have no feel for as they lost so much. Dunphy usually gets guys to step up though so I doubt they struggle too much.

Penn should be better but I think Harvard still has a lot back.
    LaSalle is not very good right now. The offense is awful. I guess I didn't realize how much Galloway bailed them out. Dr. G needs to switch up the offensive scheme. Duren is too passive right now and no one can hit a shot.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    LaSalle is not very good right now. The offense is awful. I guess I didn't realize how much Galloway bailed them out. Dr. G needs to switch up the offensive scheme. Duren is too passive right now and no one can hit a shot.

saw the 2nd half last night. Duren looked tired. I think that was their 3rd game in 3 days? he didn't seem to have any life out there. and I think they said Jerrell Wright was sick so he didn't play at all.

Big 5 games are going to be really interesting this year. I don't think anyone is that far ahead of anyone else at this point. Right now I'd have to say Nova is at the top but I think it's fairly close. Even Penn is improved this year.

Hawks play in a tourney starting thanksgiving night and open with LSU on ESPN2. not a big fan of playing on Thanksgiving night. if they beat LSU should get Memphis on Friday. not sure who is in other side of bracket. after this tourney next 3 are at Temple, Nova and Drexel and home.
    Villanova.png

all they do...is beat top 5 teams :thumbup: :thumbup:

easily the most excited i've been about a win in november. that was a lot of fun last night. intense game. nova's defense is nasty. smaller, but deeper than last year's team. sorta like jay's teams 6, 7 years ago.

2nd full game of kansas' i've seen so far. wiggns shows flashes, but really gets lost out there. think he had 4 or 5 turnovers too. embieed has the makings of a beast down the line though.
    www.myspace.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    Villanova.png

easily the most excited i've been about a win in november. that was a lot of fun last night. intense game. nova's defense is nasty. smaller, but deeper than last year's team. sorta like jay's teams 6, 7 years ago.

2nd full game of kansas' i've seen so far. wiggns shows flashes, but really gets lost out there. think he had 4 or 5 turnovers too. embieed has the makings of a beast down the line though.

:clap:

saw the highlights on ESPN this morning. awesome!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Villanova.png

great fucking shot by Arch. hand in face and buried it. Once again Jay has his team playing harder than others. They just wanted that game more. He's got about 6 quality guards this year and Pinkston a tough matchup at the 4. Said before the season I thought they were underrated and nothing I saw last night disputes that. If they beat Iowa to win the tourney they should be ranked coming into Hagan next Saturday night.

is Wiggins way overhyped? 1st time I saw him so I will hold off until I see more but wasn't all the impressed last night. Obviously he has skills but if you are as hyped as he is you shouldn't disappear for stretches in a college game as much as he did. Right now I think Jabari Parker is way better. Parker is going to be an absolute stud at the next level. he has it all.
    i think parker is better right now too. love his size and ball handling. though i heard he didn't have a good game last night either. didn't see that game.

wiggins has to develop an outside shot. i think he is too used to being able to just glide to the rim with ease. and it seems true what everyone is saying about his lack of a killer instinct so far. i don't know. the kid's just 18 and everyone matures at a different pace. wouldn't be surprised if he starts slow but turns into the player everyone expected by the end of the year.
    www.myspace.com
    special team brewing on the main line right now...love the depth. senior leadership coming from bell. young bucks contributing right away. arch and pinkston are the heart. hilliard is the steady rock. ennis is the jolt of energy they needed. need ochefu to fix whatever his issue is and they gotta trim the turnovers down but damn, it appears jay really righted this ship. couple years ago people were writing him and this team off. he just needed some time to rebuild.

this tourney championship has got to help with recruiting too. i know they're in the mix for a couple top recruits right now. things are looking up once again. go cats.
    www.myspace.com