The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    JK_Livin wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    good luck to the Explorers tonight. Hope they can pull this one out and at least get to friday. Friday will be really tough without Zack to give them another big body.

Hard to cheer for the Carolina ACC contingent so hope Temple can knock off NC State. the Roy Williams vs. Kansas angle is already annoying so if Nova can beat UNC the goods news is i won't have to listen to that. If Nova beats UNC though I might be worried because I think Kansas is ripe to go out early. I don't think they are a very strong #1 seed at all.

tourny thoughts:
    go big on the Big Ten and Mountain West
    go light on the Big East other than Louisville and the Pac 12
    wish St. Louis wasn't a #4 seed and have to play a #1 in the Sweet 16
    Iowa State and Minnesota for 1st round upsets.
    Butler over Marquette on the weekend if Butler gets by Bucknell
    Michigan pounds VCU on the weekend if Michigan survives South Dakota State

I know it's easy to be a Monday morning QB. I'm surprised by this as well. The Mountain West is the joke of the tournament so far.

My big upset will be CSU over Louisville. At least that Mountain West team won. :lol:

yea Mountain West with New Mexico and UNLV came up really small. They looked like completely different teams than last week. dead on with the average (can't score) Big East and the 2 1st round (thursday-friday still 1st round despite what CBS tries to tell us) upsets though.

Jay got way more out of this team than what could be expected. played hard all year. Should be the best team in the New Big East next year.

really good wins for Temple and Lasalle. LaSalle got a real chance to go with Sweet 16 although Ole Miss should dominate them inside. Temple hard draw with Indiana. Not sure the Owls can score enough against IU.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,759
    Jay got way more out of this team than what could be expected. played hard all year. Should be the best team in the New Big East next year.

Nova should be good next year in the New Big East, but i think Georgetown returns ther whole team. But, will Otto Porter return next year?
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    Wow. Just wow. Good fuckin' Burger Garland.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    out of all the philly teams to still be alive, who'da thunk LaSalle? :o:clap:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,759
    out of all the philly teams to still be alive, who'da thunk LaSalle? :o:clap:

Who'da thunk it, is right. WOW!

And, LaSalle has a great shot at getting to the Elite-8.

Frickin' Temple should've won.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    If you told me that La Salle was going to be the last A-10 and Big 5 team, I probably would've said you're crazy. But Fuck yeah. It's hard to believe this is the same team that finished up the season. Galloway has been the constant and in each game someone else has stepped up. The " Southwest Philly Floater" has been born. I was wondering why they didn't try to get it to Henderson at the end game. It took a few watches to realize he wasn't even on the court. My biggest fear was that he would have the ball in his hands with a chance to win. We got lucky on the no foul on Henderson near the end but it was a bad call that gave them the ball.

We're even little under the radar with "Dunk City" FGCU rolling.

Henderson doubled barreled the crowd walking off the court because someone said something about his sister being a whore and something about cocaine.

Props to the TU and Nova fans. I got to see the end of the Nova game but wasn't able to see the TU game yesterday because of youth soccer.

St. Louis had to be the biggest surprise of all the A-10 teams going down.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    If you told me that La Salle was going to be the last A-10 and Big 5 team, I probably would've said you're crazy. But Fuck yeah. It's hard to believe this is the same team that finished up the season. Galloway has been the constant and in each game someone else has stepped up. The " Southwest Philly Floater" has been born. I was wondering why they didn't try to get it to Henderson at the end game. It took a few watches to realize he wasn't even on the court. My biggest fear was that he would have the ball in his hands with a chance to win. We got lucky on the no foul on Henderson near the end but it was a bad call that gave them the ball.

We're even little under the radar with "Dunk City" FGCU rolling.

Henderson doubled barreled the crowd walking off the court because someone said something about his sister being a whore and something about cocaine.

Props to the TU and Nova fans. I got to see the end of the Nova game but wasn't able to see the TU game yesterday because of youth soccer.

St. Louis had to be the biggest surprise of all the A-10 teams going down.

awesome win jk_livin. And a legitimate shot to get to Elite 8. wow. Haven't seen anyone be able to stay in front of Garland all year. he takes some wild shots at times but he can get where he wants to go. The game winner was just a great finish. Over the big guy who had blocked the attempt just a few minutes before. Mills came up with 2 HUGE 3 pointers when it looked like it was getting away from LaSalle a bit. guards and shooters are the way for mid-majors to compete with the big boys. they haven't figured out how to guard LaSalle.

Temple - tough loss. Should have won the game but just couldn't get anyone to make a shot other than Wyatt and Lee. Thought Temple played the better game. and down 1 under 30 seconds you cannot under any circumstances give up a 3 there. You have to give yourself a chance to at last tie.

Hated the timeout with about 50 seconds left. Just no reason to call timeout there. all game temple had someone dribble out top and Wyatt come and get the ball from them. This time Dunph calls timeout and gives Indiana a chance to double team Wyatt on the inbounds resulting in throwing the ball in the backcourt to their power foward with 9 seconds on the shot clock. Awful timeout. Coaches just can't help themselves in the end game and often times call unnecessary timeouts.

on the same topic of coaching i can't understand Ole Miss letting LaSalle just dribble out the time and give them one shot to win. To me you have to force the action. I never want the other team to get the last shot to win in a tie game if i can help it. I'd rather pressure the ball and force them to shoot early. Even if they make it you at least give yourself more time to tie or take the lead. Especially in a game where you couldn't stop the other team.

interesting fact. Dr. G. now has as many career NCAA Tournament wins as Dunph. :o
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,311
    I hated that timeout too but Dunphy did a great job getting this team into the tourney and in position to win. I take back what I said after the Duquesne game. It's not the coach's fault when you shoot 3 for 24 3 pointers. GODDAMMIT

Congrats Lasalle. Even most Philadelphians don't even know SW Philly exists. :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    I just saw that 3 TU players didn't make a shot. Wow.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,953
    goodburger.jpg

:thumbup:
    goodburger.jpg

:thumbup:

:lol::lol::lol:
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    Holy shit, it's gameday. Let's go Explorers. The past week has been a fun and unexpected ride. I don't think the game plan changes with Zack back. Stick with the 4 guards and use him to spell Wright.

Fight Fight Fight
    Fight on Explorers
    Fight on to victory
    Give 'em L
    Give 'em A
    Give 'em S, A, L, L, E
    and fight on to Victory!!

We fight hard
    We fight well
    When we fight
    We fight like L
    A
    S
    A
    L
    L
    E
    Here we go Explorers, here we go.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Holy shit, it's gameday. Let's go Explorers. The past week has been a fun and unexpected ride. I don't think the game plan changes with Zack back. Stick with the 4 guards and use him to spell Wright.

Fight Fight Fight
    Fight on Explorers
    Fight on to victory
    Give 'em L
    Give 'em A
    Give 'em S, A, L, L, E
    and fight on to Victory!!

We fight hard
    We fight well
    When we fight
    We fight like L
    A
    S
    A
    L
    L
    E
    Here we go Explorers, here we go.

good luck tonight. interesting game. LaSalle's guards vs. Wichita's inside game and defense. If the Explorers shoot their normal from 3 I think they win the game as Wichita is not a great 3-pt shooting team (despite making 7 straight against the Zags). Zack being back helps just to have another body in case Wright gets in foul trouble.
    Great, when I get home from work I still have 5-1/2 hours to wait. Ugh!!!
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    Well it was a great run. Too bad the shots weren't falling last night. Hopefully this run will help us get some size on the recruiting trail. Now I feel like I wasted 2 hours scouting Ohio St and Arizona for the next round. :lol::lol:
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Well it was a great run. Too bad the shots weren't falling last night. Hopefully this run will help us get some size on the recruiting trail. Now I feel like I wasted 2 hours scouting Ohio St and Arizona for the next round. :lol::lol:

tough night. worst part of it is that the game was pretty much over about 6 minutes in. Wichita State was really good though. I think they have a shot against Ohio State.

Great run though, especially after such a long time between appearances. winning a game in the NCAAs is great but getting to the Sweet 16 is just awesome. the extra 4 days of coverage you can't beat.

fucking Big East. 2 teams who were mostly slightly above average all year (and both dogged it against Nova allowing them to get into the tourny) played their asses off last night to get to final 8. and before Juggler rips me you can't honestly tell me Syracuse played as hard against Nova (or the other 3 or 4 times i saw them play this year...39 pts against gtown for example) as they did last night. they were swarming IU last night, and IU cowered up like little girls. is there a bigger pus-- in college basketball than Zeller?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    cutz wrote:

Nova should be good next year in the New Big East, but i think Georgetown returns ther whole team. But, will Otto Porter return next year?

otto is going to the nba. but they have tons of young talent. smith rivera is only a freshman i believe.

i thoroughly enjoyed nova's season. seems they have righted the ship. losing mouph and missing out on that gavin schilling recruit will mean they will be pretty thin on big guys next season. jay's gonna have to get crafty with his guards again.

already looking forward to next fall. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

tough night. worst part of it is that the game was pretty much over about 6 minutes in. Wichita State was really good though. I think they have a shot against Ohio State.

Great run though, especially after such a long time between appearances. winning a game in the NCAAs is great but getting to the Sweet 16 is just awesome. the extra 4 days of coverage you can't beat.

fucking Big East. 2 teams who were mostly slightly above average all year (and both dogged it against Nova allowing them to get into the tourny) played their asses off last night to get to final 8. and before Juggler rips me you can't honestly tell me Syracuse played as hard against Nova (or the other 3 or 4 times i saw them play this year...39 pts against gtown for example) as they did last night. they were swarming IU last night, and IU cowered up like little girls. is there a bigger pus-- in college basketball than Zeller?

i don't see how anyone can call that louisville squad "slightly above average". their d is fucking ferocious and it's nonstop all game long. that is a solid team. cuse did look like they dogged it for a stretch this year but they poured it on down the stretch. and your comment stinks of sour grapes. :lol: there were no dominant teams in any league this year. i loved how wide open it was.

and while it's no consolation, still kinda cool that nova beat 2 of the 4 final four teams. ;)
    www.myspace.com
    i don't see how anyonecan call that louisville squad "slightly above average". their d is fucking ferocious and it's nonstop all game long. that is a solid team. cuse did look like they dogged it for a stretch this year but they poured it on down the stretch. and your comment stinks of sour grapes. :lol: there were no dominant teams in any league this year. i loved how wide open it was.

and while it's no consolation, still kinda cool that nova beat 2 of the 4 final four teams. ;)

I didn't call l'ville average. that post was made in reference to Marquette-cuse final 8 game. never thought Marquette was anything more than good this year. Syracuse has taken their game to a much hire level in this tourney.

does Rutgers only hire nutjobs and idiots for their men's bball program? kevin bannon had guys running naked wind sprints, fred hill was terrible, and now mike rice. what a clusterf--- that program is. word is that Martelli's son who is on the staff may also have shoved a player a practice. bad situation.
    pjhawks wrote:
    i don't see how anyonecan call that louisville squad "slightly above average". their d is fucking ferocious and it's nonstop all game long. that is a solid team. cuse did look like they dogged it for a stretch this year but they poured it on down the stretch. and your comment stinks of sour grapes. :lol: there were no dominant teams in any league this year. i loved how wide open it was.

I didn't call l'ville average. that post was made in reference to Marquette-cuse final 8 game. never thought Marquette was anything more than good this year. Syracuse has taken their game to a much hire level in this tourney.

does Rutgers only hire nutjobs and idiots for their men's bball program? kevin bannon had guys running naked wind sprints, fred hill was terrible, and now mike rice. what a clusterf--- that program is. word is that Martelli's son who is on the staff may also have shoved a player a practice. bad situation.

i thought you liked mike rice? i've always thought he was a giant douche. this just confirms it. the big 10 can have him. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:

i thought you liked mike rice? i've always thought he was a giant douche. this just confirms it. the big 10 can have him. :lol:

when we has an assistant for the Hawks i did like his intensity on the sidelines. I had heard stories of him being insanely intense in pickup games around campus and had a filthy mouth but the video clearly shows he has gone way over the line in practice. i don't mind intensity and yelling (heck lots of coaches do that and i think you have to do that with college players) but throwing balls at players, shoving them in anger, and calling them out with ethnic slurs is uncalled for sure. him and the ad should be fired today.
    So LaSalle is getting a 6-5 wing transfer from Georgia Southern and Chennault is leaving Nova.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    So LaSalle is getting a 6-5 wing transfer from Georgia Southern and Chennault is leaving Nova.

Chennault blows. they already have a transfer from Rice sitting out (dylan ennis) and with Arch looking at 35 minutes a night Chennault would have seen no time. he's not good enough for that level, or even the A10 in my opinion anyways.

expect a few of the Rutgers guys to transfer too. Hear Eli Carter might end up with one of the Hurleys at either Rhode Island or Buffalo. Unfortunately since the Hawks are bringing back Martelli we have no chance of getting any of those guys from Rutgers. Could use Carter or Myles Mack, both of whom we recruited.
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

Chennault blows. they already have a transfer from Rice sitting out (dylan ennis) and with Arch looking at 35 minutes a night Chennault would have seen no time. he's not good enough for that level, or even the A10 in my opinion anyways.
    d.

he could play in the a10. he's going down to d2 or something so he doesn't have to sit out year. he just wants to play.

his brother was killed last summer which, i think, stunted his learning curve early on. but as the season wore on, he improved quite a bit. ennis should be better though. he sees the writing on the wall. seems like a good kid. wish him well.
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

d.

he could play in the a10. he's going down to d2 or something so he doesn't have to sit out year. he just wants to play.

his brother was killed last summer which, i think, stunted his learning curve early on. but as the season wore on, he improved quite a bit. ennis should be better though. he sees the writing on the wall. seems like a good kid. wish him well.

well he wouldn't have started for my Hawks who finished 10th in the league so at best a bench player in the A10 for any decent team. actually think he got too much time for Nova. guy can't shoot a lick. Philly U. looks to be his destination
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

d.

well he wouldn't have started for my Hawks who finished 10th in the league so at best a bench player in the A10 for any decent team. actually think he got too much time for Nova. guy can't shoot a lick. Philly U. looks to be his destination

he handled the ball well which let arch play off the ball. they needed that. he's not a great shooter by any stretch of the imagination. but he was a lot better by march than when they beat st joes. hopefully they can use his scholarship for front court depth somehow.
    www.myspace.com
    looks like nova locked up some front court depth. former lm power forward darryl reynolds will be taking his talents a few blocks down lancaster avenue this fall.

kid should get decent minutes too. big, athletic body. good stuff.
    www.myspace.com
    I like this signing for LaSalle, someone athletic on the front line.

http://cityofbasketballlove.com/2013/04 ... ashington/
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    Another transfer from Auburn this time. I like 6-5 guards. Not sure of his eligibility but I'd assume he'd be sitting out this year.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecru ... rice-73313

He was a top 50 coming out of HS a year ago for what that's worth. We Need some more size though.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Another transfer from Auburn this time. I like 6-5 guards. Not sure of his eligibility but I'd assume he'd be sitting out this year.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecru ... rice-73313

LaSalle becoming Transfer U. how many scholarships do they get?

how did it feel seeing Gary Neal in the NBA Finals? If he was a Hawk guy would not have been too proud of that.

Nova officially becomes a mid-major on July 1st. Welcome to our side Juggler :D