The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,759
    pjhawks wrote:
    cutz wrote:
    I HOPE Lasalle can get in.

Nova & Temple SHOULD be in.

What are the chances that any of those teams get to play in Philly? First 2 rounds(yes i still call it the first 2 rounds> :lol: ) are played at The Center.

about 25%. they will have to be matched up with probably duke or georgetown in the 2nd round (agree still call thursday-friday the 1st round and weekend 2nd round) since most likely those will the top seeds to play in philly since most of the other top 2 seeds will be from the midwest or the west. although if nova gets to play there again it's a joke. already twice they got to play on their home court in the ncaa's (oh wait it wasn't considered a home game since they only played 3 games there those years :roll: )

i think all 3 get in. lasalle will be in the play-in game. nova about a 10, temple around 11-12.

Yea, i didn't think that any of the local teams would play in Philly, but i was hopeing they would for selfish reasons. I have tickets for the games in Philly and would've like to see one of the Big 5 teams.

Oh well, i got Duke & G-Town(I'm a Big East Fan. REAL Big East teams> :lol: ). Also like the two 7-10 games( Crieghton-Cincy & SDSU-Oklahoma). But, i think Temple & Nova play on the same day(Friday) so i won't be able to see them on TV. I HOPE one can win ther FIRST round game.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    where do you live cutz?

well nova gets a higher seed than expected and their reward? unc :lol: tough matchup. tarheels are real good from 3 pt range and defending that is nova's achilles heel. unc only has 2 wins against top 50 rpi teams though...

hopefully jay has them ready to play. maybe the bad lville loss and the announcers yesterday anticipating a unc/kansas 3rd matchup will be used as extra motivation.

if nova can get the line regularly (FEED JVP!), hit their open shots, and defend and scrap like they normally do, they got a shot. 4 pt dogs as of yesterday.

the season is already a big success. a win on friday is gravy. GO CATS!
    www.myspace.com
    also--congrats to lasalle. i know it's a play-in game, but damn.....20 years--welcome back! they should beat boise st.
    www.myspace.com
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Well, I have to say that it feels great for LaSalle making it. Congrats to the Temple and Villanova. It's Philly versus the state of NC in your games. :lol: I don't know much about Boise St. but I heard they have a smaller lineup that likes to run which is good for LaSalle especially if Zack is still out. Hopefully I'll have to take a half day Friday for a rematch of the 1988 tournament when Mitch Richmond's K-state(4 seed) beat L-Train's(13 seed) team 66-53.

I also have to admit that I got a little teary eyed when I saw the kids from LaSalle celebrate.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    if lasalle wins....friday is shaping up to be an epic day for college basketball around here.

temple vs nc state at 1:40

lasalle vs....i forget who they would play but it's at 3:30 i think

nova vs unc @ 7:20

pray for my liver.
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Well, I have to say that it feels great for LaSalle making it. Congrats to the Temple and Villanova. It's Philly versus the state of NC in your games. :lol: I don't know much about Boise St. but I heard they have a smaller lineup that likes to run which is good for LaSalle especially if Zack is still out. Hopefully I'll have to take a half day Friday for a rematch of the 1988 tournament when Mitch Richmond's K-state(4 seed) beat L-Train's(13 seed) team 66-53.

I also have to admit that I got a little teary eyed when I saw the kids from LaSalle celebrate.

once temple came up as a 9 seed i was pretty confident you were getting in based on how well they seemed to think of the A10. i was really happy for you guys when your name came up. i even gave a little 'all right'. good to see the little guy get in, especially after a 22 year drought.

agree with Juggler friday should be pretty damn good around here, especially if LaSalle can beat Boise. both temple and nova should be really good games. can see both of those games going either way. and i think lasalle would have a chance to beat K-state on friday (a 4 always loses) if they can get by Boise.

for the 1st time i can ever remember the field is out and i still am not sure who to pick to win it all. usually by february i have an idea on who i like but this year i still think there are about 6 or 7 teams to consider but even some of those i could see losing in the 1st weekend. this tourny could be wild this year.
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

once temple came up as a 9 seed i was pretty confident you were getting in based on how well they seemed to think of the A10. i was really happy for you guys when your name came up. i even gave a little 'all right'. good to see the little guy get in, especially after a 22 year drought.

agree with Juggler friday should be pretty damn good around here, especially if LaSalle can beat Boise. both temple and nova should be really good games. can see both of those games going either way. and i think lasalle would have a chance to beat K-state on friday (a 4 always loses) if they can get by Boise.

for the 1st time i can ever remember the field is out and i still am not sure who to pick to win it all. usually by february i have an idea on who i like but this year i still think there are about 6 or 7 teams to consider but even some of those i could see losing in the 1st weekend. this tourny could be wild this year.

You can always fill out 6-7 brackets. :lol:
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:

with respect to the juggler, that's fraud behavior. you get one bracket. if you pick more than one your picks have no credibility because you are just hedging your bets. :nono:
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

with respect to the juggler, that's fraud behavior. you get one bracket. if you pick more than one your picks have no credibility because you are just hedging your bets. :nono:

i hedge a little, i guess.

i do a small pool that the wife's family participates in, like 5 bucks.
    then we have a big one at work
    a block pool at work.
    and i do a draft with 4 buddies--this is the most fun. think we're doing that tonight. we just pick every school in the tourney, get a point for each win in the first round, 2 points for the second round, etc etc etc...

you think that's fraudulent?
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

a block pool at work.
    and i do a draft with 4 buddies--this is the most fun. think we're doing that tonight. we just pick every school in the tourney, get a point for each win in the first round, 2 points for the second round, etc etc etc...

Tournament block pools are the best.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,311
    Hoping for success for all the Big 5 teams including St Joes vs St Johns.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

a block pool at work.

no i have no problem with doing multiple pools in that manner per se (block pools and the draft type you lis above are somewhat out of control on who you get as your champion)...i was referring more to you pick 4 different pools with 4 different champions of the 4 teams you like best. like you hear someone say, well in one pool i have Louisville winning it, in another I have Kansas, and a 3rd I have Indiana. if you do that then that's fraudulent to me.
    i never had a problem with people filling out multiple pools...but i can see how that would have a fraudulent stench to it...might have to open this up for discussion actually :think:
    www.myspace.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    i can only really see Temple winning their first round match-up. :?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    where do you live cutz?

well nova gets a higher seed than expected and their reward? unc :lol: tough matchup. tarheels are real good from 3 pt range and defending that is nova's achilles heel. unc only has 2 wins against top 50 rpi teams though...

hopefully jay has them ready to play. maybe the bad lville loss and the announcers yesterday anticipating a unc/kansas 3rd matchup will be used as extra motivation.

if nova can get the line regularly (FEED JVP!), hit their open shots, and defend and scrap like they normally do, they got a shot. 4 pt dogs as of yesterday.
    the season is already a big success. a win on friday is gravy. GO CATS!

Live in South Jersey.

Yes, UNC will be a tough one for Nova. UNC has 10 loses but i think 5 came against Duke & Miami. Nova HAS to defend that 3 a hell of lot better then they have all season. Feeding JVP is a great idea too. Also, Nova needs to take care of the ball.

Really looking forward to this Tourney as its WIDE open. And if the season is any indication ther SHOULD be alot of SURPRISES!
    also--congrats to lasalle. i know it's a play-in game, but damn.....20 years--welcome back! they should beat boise st.

I haven't seen Boise St. play but i know they played at Michigan St., and gave them a good game. I think they beat New Mexico or UNLV away too. Just hope that playing that A-10 schedule has LaSalle prepared. And did LaSalle play AT Dayton this year? If so, playing a game ther already MAY help?
    cutz wrote:

I haven't seen Boise St. play but i know they played at Michigan St., and gave them a good game. I think they beat New Mexico or UNLV away too. Just hope that playing that A-10 schedule has LaSalle prepared. And did LaSalle play AT Dayton this year? If so, playing a game ther already MAY help?

They played Dayton at LaSalle.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    cutz wrote:

Boise St DOES NOT play on a blue court. WTF
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    LaSalle is currently on the court practicing. Tomorrow is the 150th Anniversary of LaSalle, 59th Anniversary of the 1954 Championship and also the same date they were last in the tournament.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    LaSalle is currently on the court practicing. Tomorrow is the 150th Anniversary of LaSalle, 59th Anniversary of the 1954 Championship and also the same date they were last in the tournament.

stars...set to align....
    www.myspace.com
    good luck to the Explorers tonight. Hope they can pull this one out and at least get to friday. Friday will be really tough without Zack to give them another big body.

Hard to cheer for the Carolina ACC contingent so hope Temple can knock off NC State. the Roy Williams vs. Kansas angle is already annoying so if Nova can beat UNC the goods news is i won't have to listen to that. If Nova beats UNC though I might be worried because I think Kansas is ripe to go out early. I don't think they are a very strong #1 seed at all.

tourny thoughts:
    go big on the Big Ten and Mountain West
    go light on the Big East other than Louisville and the Pac 12
    wish St. Louis wasn't a #4 seed and have to play a #1 in the Sweet 16
    Iowa State and Minnesota for 1st round upsets.
    Butler over Marquette on the weekend if Butler gets by Bucknell
    Michigan pounds VCU on the weekend if Michigan survives South Dakota State
    Well, you can't shoot much better than LaSalle did last night. Hopefully it continues into tomorrow. Go Explorers!
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Well, you can't shoot much better than LaSalle did last night. Hopefully it continues into tomorrow. Go Explorers!

...especially in the 2nd half. congrats man!

tomorrow is going to be nuts.
    www.myspace.com
    23 years between tourney wins. Even Dunphy didn't take that long. :lol:

Seriously congrats. It was fun to watch and I hope you guys beat Kansas St. 8-)

It should be a wild day tomorrow. Temple into LaSalle, sponge up with dinner before Nova.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Get rid of Gottleib. There's hasn't been a call, play or coaching decision where he doesn't know better today.
    pjhawks wrote:
    good luck to the Explorers tonight. Hope they can pull this one out and at least get to friday. Friday will be really tough without Zack to give them another big body.

Hard to cheer for the Carolina ACC contingent so hope Temple can knock off NC State. the Roy Williams vs. Kansas angle is already annoying so if Nova can beat UNC the goods news is i won't have to listen to that. If Nova beats UNC though I might be worried because I think Kansas is ripe to go out early. I don't think they are a very strong #1 seed at all.

tourny thoughts:
    go big on the Big Ten and Mountain West
    go light on the Big East other than Louisville and the Pac 12
    wish St. Louis wasn't a #4 seed and have to play a #1 in the Sweet 16
    Iowa State and Minnesota for 1st round upsets.
    Butler over Marquette on the weekend if Butler gets by Bucknell
    Michigan pounds VCU on the weekend if Michigan survives South Dakota State

I know it's easy to be a Monday morning QB. I'm surprised by this as well. The Mountain West is the joke of the tournament so far.

My big upset will be CSU over Louisville. At least that Mountain West team won. :lol:
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    vcu/akron looked like the harlem globetrotters vs the washington generals. as soon as rachel nichols (pleasant addition to cbs--always felt she was knowledgeable...just fix that fucking nose!) told me akron was besieged with the flu, i loaded up on vcu right at the last minute. :thumbup:

wow--that vcu squad can play. wouldn't be surprised to see them playing next week.

big day today!
    www.myspace.com
    vcu/akron looked like the harlem globetrotters vs the washington generals. as soon as rachel nichols (pleasant addition to cbs--always felt she was knowledgeable...just fix that fucking nose!) told me akron was besieged with the flu, i loaded up on vcu right at the last minute. :thumbup:

wow--that vcu squad can play. wouldn't be surprised to see them playing next week.

big day today!

VCU probably caught the flu from Akron and will get crushed by Michigan.

How bout that A-10 - 6-0! What a great conference! :lol:

I think Temple played a game today too...

So at some point the Temple game is on at the bar and we see Lasalle is winning by 15 or so, and somebody on the other side of the bar says "Is Tom Gola playing?"