The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    pjhawks wrote:
    here is a cool list. smallest schools ever to be ranked #1 in the AP Poll. check out #2 and #3

http://extramustard.si.com/2013/03/04/t ... ap-top-25/
    That's a cool list and I'm shocked at how small some of those big programs are.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    JK_Livin wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    here is a cool list. smallest schools ever to be ranked #1 in the AP Poll. check out #2 and #3

why wouldn't villanova be on there? i think they have 10,000 or so students.
    www.myspace.com
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we're dancing

:wave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4d7Wp9kKjA

this is the kind of team nobody wants to play come tourney time....

GO. CATS.
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    JK_Livin wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

why wouldn't villanova be on there? i think they have 10,000 or so students.

because they've never been #1 in the AP Poll. they don't do a poll after the tourny.
    Nice wins for all last night. I'll be a big TU fan come Sunday if LaSalle can pull the upset of SLU on Saturday. LaSalle has a chance to win the A10 outright.

Thanks to UNC for possibly knocking MD off the bubble.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    jerry palm's up to date brackets have lasalle playing kentucky in a play in game...nova as an 11 seed playing vcu...and temple as an 11 seed playing michigan state:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology
    www.myspace.com
    jerry palm's up to date brackets have lasalle playing kentucky in a play in game...nova as an 11 seed playing vcu...and temple as an 11 seed playing michigan state:

Fuck him and his play in game.

I like this one better.
    http://www.bustingthebracket.com/2013/0 ... kdown.html
    Tom O.
    -The Writer

lasalle should be a seed or two higher than that. they are playing for 1st place in the A10 on saturday although i think a loss can drop them to 4th or possibly 5th depending on what temple and butler do.

and those would be bad matchups for temple and nova. you don't want any part of playing michigan state.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we're dancing

:wave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4d7Wp9kKjA

this is the kind of team nobody wants to play come tourney time....

GO. CATS.

yeah that cemented them in the tourny. Thinking Temple and Lasalle will also make it. Love this time of year. :D
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,311
    Owls can punch their ticket with a win over VCU tomorrow. Should be a fun one. They're doing the white-out thing, which always looks like a Klan rally to me but I guess if it gets the crowd riled...

VCU is undefeated when they get at least 15 turnovers and winless when they don't. Owls turn it over 11 times a game. Should be a fun one.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    so nova gets the 7 seed at the garden. they play st johns at 7 on wednesday night.

they're pretty much in regardless of the outcome. be nice to see them win a game or two....the 2nd game would be louisville. i'd imagine they'd improve their ncaa seeding pretty nicely if they beat them again.
    www.myspace.com
    so nova gets the 7 seed at the garden. they play st johns at 7 on wednesday night.

they're pretty much in regardless of the outcome. be nice to see them win a game or two....the 2nd game would be louisville. i'd imagine they'd improve their ncaa seeding pretty nicely if they beat them again.

I Believe That... We are Dancing.

I get the feeling those late conf tourneys barely count in the committee room.

VCU got some havoc of their own today. Owls went from down 16 to up 17 and held on from there.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Worst case scenario for LaSalle this weekend, getting blown out and TU winning. Now we have to play Butler in the 2nd round.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Worst case scenario for LaSalle this weekend, getting blown out and TU winning. Now we have to play Butler in the 2nd round.

and a whole bunch of other bubble teams won games. not a good weekend for the explorers. I think you are going to have to win that game against Butler to get a bid. if lose that going to one of the last 4 in or last 4 out.

the only people who can stop khalif wyatt are the AC police department (not that an arrest leads to any consequences at temple). how the fuck did temple lose to duquesne at home a few weeks ago???

I Believe That... We are Dancing.

I get the feeling those late conf tourneys barely count in the committee room.

VCU got some havoc of their own today. Owls went from down 16 to up 17 and held on from there.

i caught the last 10 minutes or so...big win

i think the conf tourney games do make a difference, especially to bubble teams. lunardi has nova being one of the 4 teams ahead of his last 4 play in game teams. a loss to an inferior opponent could move them back to play in status. that's not where i'd like to see them. i know vcu made a final four from there, but it's just not ideal.
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

and a whole bunch of other bubble teams won games. not a good weekend for the explorers. I think you are going to have to win that game against Butler to get a bid. if lose that going to one of the last 4 in or last 4 out.

the only people who can stop khalif wyatt are the AC police department (not that an arrest leads to any consequences at temple). how the fuck did temple lose to duquesne at home a few weeks ago???

Oh get over the hooker thing already.

Owls have been quite the perplexing team. I think Hollis-Jefferson was playing hurt for a while.

pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

Oh get over the hooker thing already.

Owls have been quite the perplexing team. I think Hollis-Jefferson was playing hurt for a while.

nah what fun what that be? besides i'm giving Khalif a compliment, guy has been unstoppable in the A10. got to think he wins player of the year.

2-3 weeks ago i would have said no chance Temple could win the A10 tourny but got to think they have as good as shot as anyone. St. Louis will be tough but the #1 seed seems to never win this tourny.

A10 tourny should wild though. lots of good teams. the quarterfinals should be as good as they have ever been.
    http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1908 ... iclePage=0

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things!
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    no more bubble. nova's definitely in. :wave:

now to improve seeding...
    www.myspace.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    no more bubble. nova's definitely in. :wave:

now to improve seeding...

:thumbup: They play Notre Dame next, right?

Hoping Temple and LaSalle have a good tourny as well
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Nice W for Joes but I don't know how that guy missed that shot. Maybe they'll finish off VCU this time.

Will today be the dawn of a new era or a continuation of the black hole LaSalle's been in? Missing Zack is big just because of the space he takes up. I didn't get to see much of the 1st match up v. Butler and I haven't seen Butler play at all this year other than a small part of that game. Here we go Explorers!!!

I need to see video of the ending of the Joes game.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    Holy crap on the Joes ending.

Awful officiating in the Richmond game. The initial personal foul should've never been a T.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:

Awful officiating in the Richmond game. The initial personal foul should've never been a T.
    martelli and this team is killing me. we put no on the inbounder and let him throw the ball unguarded. cj aiken is standing at mid court with no one around. apparantly in the post game press conference X inferred the pass off the backboard was intentional...i don't know but it worked like a charm.

seemed like a heck of a session for the A10 yesterday. Umass-GW was a great game late last night.

big day for the big 5 in the A10 today. Huge one for you jk_livin. Hope you guys get it. want to see you make the tourny.

hawks-vcu at 6:30 and temple-umass at 9:00. if hawks can beat the press i think they got a shot but i imagine we will come up short again. be cool to get all 3 in the semi's tomorrow though.

shame all of these teams are leaving the A10 in the next year or two. this league was great this year...and at least we didn't have to put up with the ridicoulsly bad uniforms like the Big East. I couldn't even watch ND last night their's were so obnoxious. those uni's are NOT made for HD Television :evil:
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

martelli and this team is killing me. we put no on the inbounder and let him throw the ball unguarded. cj aiken is standing at mid court with no one around. apparantly in the post game press conference X inferred the pass off the backboard was intentional...i don't know but it worked like a charm.

seemed like a heck of a session for the A10 yesterday. Umass-GW was a great game late last night.

big day for the big 5 in the A10 today. Huge one for you jk_livin. Hope you guys get it. want to see you make the tourny.

hawks-vcu at 6:30 and temple-umass at 9:00. if hawks can beat the press i think they got a shot but i imagine we will come up short again. be cool to get all 3 in the semi's tomorrow though.

shame all of these teams are leaving the A10 in the next year or two. this league was great this year...and at least we didn't have to put up with the ridicoulsly bad uniforms like the Big East. I couldn't even watch ND last night their's were so obnoxious. those uni's are NOT made for HD Television :evil:

Yes, good luck to all the Big 5 today. Those uni's are awful. They make the Oregon uni's look pale in comparison. I like some of the Oregon uni's.

Unless I'm being forgetful, didn't St. Joes learn anything from the Duke v. UK game by not guarding the inbounder? :D
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    as bad as nd'd unis were, cincinatti's were worse----pink and black. WHAT? :x

good luck to you guys. looking forward to sunday.
    www.myspace.com
    kentucky losing will help your squad jk. i bet lasalle gets in with a play-in game...

Temple [23-9 (11-5), RPI: 36, SOS: 58] Temple lost to UMass in the A-10 tourney Friday night. That means we can't put Temple up on the lock line. But we can also look at Temple's profile and recognize that, save some surprise from the NCAA, the Owls are probably around a No. 11 seed at worst right now. Indeed, this result did more for the Minutemen than the Owls.

La Salle [21-9 (11-5), RPI: 38, SOS: 86] As of Friday evening, the Explorers are in a weird position. They haven't done anything drastic -- suffered a bad loss or notched a marquee win -- to their profile in months. They've lost understandable games (at Temple, at Saint Louis, to Butler in the A-10 tournament Friday) and have beaten pretty much everyone they should have beaten. And yet, thanks to a lack of truly elite wins, especially outside the league, and thanks to a Nov. 18 loss to Central Connecticut State that continues to haunt them to this day, the Explorers have ended their pre-Dance season hanging in the bubble balance.
    www.myspace.com
    kentucky losing will help your squad jk. i bet lasalle gets in with a play-in game...

Temple [23-9 (11-5), RPI: 36, SOS: 58] Temple lost to UMass in the A-10 tourney Friday night. That means we can't put Temple up on the lock line. But we can also look at Temple's profile and recognize that, save some surprise from the NCAA, the Owls are probably around a No. 11 seed at worst right now. Indeed, this result did more for the Minutemen than the Owls.

La Salle [21-9 (11-5), RPI: 38, SOS: 86] As of Friday evening, the Explorers are in a weird position. They haven't done anything drastic -- suffered a bad loss or notched a marquee win -- to their profile in months. They've lost understandable games (at Temple, at Saint Louis, to Butler in the A-10 tournament Friday) and have beaten pretty much everyone they should have beaten. And yet, thanks to a lack of truly elite wins, especially outside the league, and thanks to a Nov. 18 loss to Central Connecticut State that continues to haunt them to this day, the Explorers have ended their pre-Dance season hanging in the bubble balance.

well friday wasn't good for the philly A10 teams.

kentucky is done. virginia is done. LaSalle still in decent shape but need Memphis to win C-USA, Umass to not win the A10 and Florida to win the SEC. i think the Explorers are literally going to the last team in or the 1st team out. i hope they make it
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,759
    I HOPE Lasalle can get in.

Nova & Temple SHOULD be in.

What are the chances that any of those teams get to play in Philly? First 2 rounds(yes i still call it the first 2 rounds> :lol: ) are played at The Center.
    cutz wrote:
    I HOPE Lasalle can get in.

Nova & Temple SHOULD be in.

What are the chances that any of those teams get to play in Philly? First 2 rounds(yes i still call it the first 2 rounds> :lol: ) are played at The Center.

about 25%. they will have to be matched up with probably duke or georgetown in the 2nd round (agree still call thursday-friday the 1st round and weekend 2nd round) since most likely those will the top seeds to play in philly since most of the other top 2 seeds will be from the midwest or the west. although if nova gets to play there again it's a joke. already twice they got to play on their home court in the ncaa's (oh wait it wasn't considered a home game since they only played 3 games there those years :roll: )

i think all 3 get in. lasalle will be in the play-in game. nova about a 10, temple around 11-12.