The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :wave:

as long as they don't blow this seton hall classic trap game, i think nova's dancing....that said, seton hall hasn't won a game in a month. i'm scared to death of this game. :lol:

agree. jay has done an amazing job with this team. they just play harder than their opponents on a nightly basis.

temple and lasalle with big wins yesterday. right now all 3 look to be on the right side of the bubble. temple proabbaly wishes that detroit game was cancelled and not have to play it this week. as long as temple and lasalle avoid really bad losses they should be fine.

if all 3 make it got to think at least one of them will be playing in one of the play-in games tuesday or wednesday night of the tourny. those games suck if you lose. it's like you weren't even in the tourny.

oh my lovely hawks squad get's st. louis wednesday night there. be lucky to score 50, and under 40 is a real possibility. still hawks should end up 9-7 in the league but can't fathom them playing 4 good games in a row in the a10 tourny since they haven't all season.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    yep this is the definition of a classic fucking trap game.....come on nova. :x

i hate this game...all seton hall does is shoot 3 after 3 after 3...
    www.myspace.com
    aaaaaaaaaaaand that's a swift kick to the nuts. pinkston got screwed. :x

i figure they gotta split these last 2 or be forced to win a couple at the garden now. god damn it.
    www.myspace.com
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,772

i figure they gotta split these last 2 or be forced to win a couple at the garden now. god damn it.

I agree about Pinkston. Ther should've been NO foul called. I think they should've just awarded SH the ball with a shit-clock violation. A DOUBLE-foul??

Still though, Nova commits a STUPID foul and then turns it over.
    cutz wrote:

I agree about Pinkston. Ther should've been NO foul called. I think they should've just awarded SH the ball with a shit-clock violation. A DOUBLE-foul??

Still though, Nova commits a STUPID foul and then turns it over.

he barely touched him....total flop.

horrible game.
    www.myspace.com
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    St. Louis is freaking tough right now. LaSalle has 2 games before they have to play them there. If the can win all 3 then I think they're in. If they lose to St. Louis then they'll have win at least a game in the A-10 tournament.

Every night it seems like there are just as many bubble teams helping their chances as there are hurting themselves.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    St. Louis is freaking tough right now. LaSalle has 2 games before they have to play them there. If the can win all 3 then I think they're in. If they lose to St. Louis then they'll have win at least a game in the A-10 tournament.

Every night it seems like there are just as many bubble teams helping their chances as there are hurting themselves.

st. louis is really well coached. always in the right spot defensively and very solid on offense. every time they had a mismatch on offense vs. the hawks last night they exploited it. that's a sweet 16 team. that being said i still think they are due to lose one more game before the tourny. hard to win 12 or 13 straight games in college hoops.

right now i still think lasalle and nova are solid for the tourny. as you said as long as LaSalle can win the next 2 they should be fine for a bye and one win in the tourny most likely gets them in. i think nova wins one of the last two against pitt and g'town. temple is just a strange team. can't get a handle on them. can see them going either way...getting on a role and getting in or flopping against a bad team again.

with the extra 4 teams added a few years ago it's made the bubble very soft. you've basically added 8 teams to the mix for those 4 spots and those 8 all are fairly average with bad losses and some good wins.

this is one of the worst years in college hoops. scoring is way down (too much coaching and not enough shooters) and even the top 8 teams are no guarantee to get past the 1st weekend this year.
    Every week a top 5 school is losing to an unranked team. Predicting the brackets will be tough this year.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Every week a top 5 school is losing to an unranked team. Predicting the brackets will be tough this year.

have you guys seen these shit uniforms Adidas is having some of their teams were during this year's NCAA tourny? they look like they were designed by 8 year olds.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... eve-jersey
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

have you guys seen these shit uniforms Adidas is having some of their teams were during this year's NCAA tourny? they look like they were designed by 8 year olds.

Zubaz shorts!
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

Zubaz shorts!

haha pretty much and that's not a trend we should be bringing back :o
    Sucks for the A-10 to lose Butler, X and possibly more.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:

temple out after this year too. a10 basically going to be the CAA. probably add George Mason and maybe Siena down the line. sucks big time for the schedule. at least nova is now a mid-major too :) their schedule is going to take a big hit too.
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

temple out after this year too. a10 basically going to be the CAA. probably add George Mason and maybe Siena down the line. sucks big time for the schedule. at least nova is now a mid-major too :) their schedule is going to take a big hit too.

Is Temple going with the exiting Big East schools?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

Is Temple going with the exiting Big East schools?

Yes
    if i'm a temple fan, i gotta feel like i just got punked. what's left of the big east in a couple years is going to be on par with conference usa. temple should try to get into the new big east now. :lol:

i think this is best case scenario for villanova. after a long and arduous journey, things actually worked out well. fox is paying more than what they would receive in the old conference. keep the name. looks like they might keep msg also.

nova, gtown, marquette, xavier, butler, and even st johns are decent squads. st louis and creighton may join in 2014. nd may come aboard for a year before jetting to the acc.

it's actually going to be one of the better conferences in the country.

nova's got a pretty nice recruiting class shaping up right now too....
    www.myspace.com
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,358
    if i'm a temple fan, i gotta feel like i just got punked. what's left of the big east in a couple years is going to be on par with conference usa. temple should try to get into the new big east now. :lol:

i think this is best case scenario for villanova. after a long and arduous journey, things actually worked out well. fox is paying more than what they would receive in the old conference. keep the name. looks like they might keep msg also.

nova, gtown, marquette, xavier, butler, and even st johns are decent squads. st louis and creighton may join in 2014. nd may come aboard for a year before jetting to the acc.

it's actually going to be one of the better conferences in the country.

nova's got a pretty nice recruiting class shaping up right now too....

Temple getting screwed over in this conference shit is a direct result of catering everything to the "aspring to mediocrity" football program. Their only shot is to form some alliance with Memphis, Cincinnati & UConn and maybe they all end up in the ACC after it gets raided by the Big Ten. The other possibility is forming that transcontinental conference and getting the Boise St, SD St and New Mexico types in the conference.

At least Pitt pulled that one out today, which should help out (or at least not hurt) on the bubble.

Owls with a nice run, great win over Detroit (good team) on Thursday and survived against Rhode Island yesterday. Playing 3 straight games against teams called the Rams (RI, Fordham and VCU). Owls are perpetually sitting in the Last 4 In, and these wins over A-10 teams never improve the situation. Guess that's what happens when you lose to Duquesne at home. :fp:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    would have been a huge win...turns out it's a bad loss. to lead all the way from before halftime to blow it at the end, even against a good team in a place where they never lose, i'm considering this a bad loss. poor defending of the 3 pt shot killed this team yet again.

nova's still got work to do...
    www.myspace.com
    I din't see TU's or LaSalle's game v. Duquense but how in the hell did TU lose to them. The only consistency in college basketball is it's inconsistency. It should be a great NCAA's. I was reading that both LaSalle and TU both need 2 more wins to be off the bubble. Not sure about Nova.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    bye bye nova :D

pat skerry doing work...best 1 year improvement in ncaa hoops history. tourney berth next year looks feasible as they have everyone coming back (would have been possible this year if not for the stink that pat kennedy left on this program). great year for my alma mater :clap:

Benimon will be in the nba. dude is an absolute monster. Finalist for the Lou henson award...goes to best mid-major player nationally.

TOWSON, Md. -- Jerome Hairston and Marcus Damas scored 17 points each as Towson ended a remarkable turnaround season by defeating Hofstra 67-64 Saturday.

The Tigers (18-13, 13-5 Colonial Athletic Association), who are ineligible for the postseason because of NCAA academic progress rules, improved by 17.5 games over last year's 1-31 finish, based on the difference in both wins and losses, divided by two. That bettered the mark of plus-17 by Mercer in 2002-03 and UTEP the following season.

Jerrelle Benimon had 14 points and 13 rebounds for Towson for his 20th double-double this season. His two free throws tied the game 55-55 with 3:52 left, and two by Rafriel Guthrie made it 57-55. Benimon's three-point play stretched the lead to 62-55 with 1:08 remaining.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,788
    The Fixer wrote:
    bye bye nova :D

pat skerry doing work...best 1 year improvement in ncaa hoops history. tourney berth next year looks feasible as they have everyone coming back (would have been possible this year if not for the stink that pat kennedy left on this program). great year for my alma mater :clap:

Benimon will be in the nba. dude is an absolute monster. Finalist for the Lou henson award...goes to best mid-major player nationally.

TOWSON, Md. -- Jerome Hairston and Marcus Damas scored 17 points each as Towson ended a remarkable turnaround season by defeating Hofstra 67-64 Saturday.

The Tigers (18-13, 13-5 Colonial Athletic Association), who are ineligible for the postseason because of NCAA academic progress rules, improved by 17.5 games over last year's 1-31 finish, based on the difference in both wins and losses, divided by two. That bettered the mark of plus-17 by Mercer in 2002-03 and UTEP the following season.

Jerrelle Benimon had 14 points and 13 rebounds for Towson for his 20th double-double this season. His two free throws tied the game 55-55 with 3:52 left, and two by Rafriel Guthrie made it 57-55. Benimon's three-point play stretched the lead to 62-55 with 1:08 remaining.

Nova needs to make a good run at the Big East tourny or they'll be in the NIT again.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    yeah, nova's in with a win on wednesday. even if they lose , they should be in with 2 wins in the garden...still bubbling it up with one.

something like 95% of big east teams with 10 conference wins have made the tourney in the league's existence. they got 9 right now. ;)

nit would still be an improvement. they didn't play in the post season at all last year, erie.
    www.myspace.com
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I din't see TU's or LaSalle's game v. Duquense but how in the hell did TU lose to them. The only consistency in college basketball is it's inconsistency. It should be a great NCAA's. I was reading that both LaSalle and TU both need 2 more wins to be off the bubble. Not sure about Nova.

lunardi has nova as one of the last 4 in still. lasalle's pretty much in at this point right?

i love how wide open it is this year. so many teams have a chance. it's gonna be a fun month.
    www.myspace.com
    Zack hurt his foot for LaSalle on Saturday and left the game. He's going to miss the next 2 games for sure. It he's out much longer, we're pretty much screwed because we have no size after Wright. Maybe SLU won't know how to defend 5 guards on the floor? :lol:
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:

lunardi has nova as one of the last 4 in still. lasalle's pretty much in at this point right?

i love how wide open it is this year. so many teams have a chance. it's gonna be a fun month.

i love Nova to beat Georgetown Wednesday night for the following reasons. and I'd bet the house if i didn't dislike nova so much :)
    1 - a somewhat do or die game for nova (i can't help thinking nova's wins over cuse, ville and marquette are going to look really enticing to the committee when compared to other teams wins so i think they are closer to being in than maybe being thought of now. even if lose to gtown one win in the Big East tourny gets them in i think),
    2 - vs. an opponent who is on a long winning streak, is very good but probably a bit overrated (not a #1 seed type team) and who has some close calls recently so totally due for a loss
    3 - possibly a more than half-empty building with students on break and possible snow which lessens g'town's motivation even more
    4 - conspiracy theory of georgetown wanting to help the new C7 conference look better by having Nova make the tourny this year as well ;)

bet nova wednesday night.

i think all 3 temple nova and lasalle are getting in. with one at least playing in the play-in games.
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

i love Nova to beat Georgetown Wednesday night for the following reasons. and I'd bet the house if i didn't dislike nova so much :)
    1 - a somewhat do or die game for nova (i can't help thinking nova's wins over cuse, ville and marquette are going to look really enticing to the committee when compared to other teams wins so i think they are closer to being in than maybe being thought of now. even if lose to gtown one win in the Big East tourny gets them in i think),
    2 - vs. an opponent who is on a long winning streak, is very good but probably a bit overrated (not a #1 seed type team) and who has some close calls recently so totally due for a loss
    3 - possibly a more than half-empty building with students on break and possible snow which lessens g'town's motivation even more
    4 - conspiracy theory of georgetown wanting to help the new C7 conference look better by having Nova make the tourny this year as well ;)

bet nova wednesday night.

i think all 3 temple nova and lasalle are getting in. with one at least playing in the play-in games.

this is nice to hear. :mrgreen: nova is actually favored. -1.5 right now...that is a nova line.

if they can keep porter relatively in check and somehow not get killed by the 3 pt shot (tall order for this team), i think they win too. nova's bigs should clean up on the boards.

interesting take on the students being on break though. kind of think that benefits gtown. nova could use all the energy from the crowd they can get so i was thinking they should have scheduled this at the dupont. i guess it can go both ways though.

i can't wait. feels like a tourney game...
    www.myspace.com
    LaSalle has to win tonight with SLU on tap after.

I'd like to know how Otto Porter isn't in the POY talks? Every time I watch Indiana, Cody Zeller does dick. Oladipo is their best player.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    LaSalle has to win tonight with SLU on tap after.

I'd like to know how Otto Porter isn't in the POY talks? Every time I watch Indiana, Cody Zeller does dick. Oladipo is their best player.

agree on Zeller and Oladipo. Big Ten is stacked though. I think their top 4 are 4 of the best 6 or 7 teams in the country. i will be going heavy on the Big Ten in the tournament.
    vaca lined up for 3/23....took friday the 22nd off just to get hammered and watch day 2 of the tourney all day long.

thank god it's march. :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    here is a cool list. smallest schools ever to be ranked #1 in the AP Poll. check out #2 and #3

http://extramustard.si.com/2013/03/04/t ... ap-top-25/