Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,770
    pjhawks wrote:
    Dominick Cheek declares for NBA draft. :lol::lol: i actually thought it was a joke when i 1st saw it. nova could be really awful next year if they don't end up with a good transfer (tony chennault from wake forest or juco) that is eligilbe next year. pretty much pinkston and that's it.

hawks have everyone back next year. should have made tourny this year with the talent. if they don't make it next year it might be the end for Martelli. fans are not happy and word is a few of the big donors aren't too happy with him.

temple - wyatt and jefferson back right johnny? with dalton pepper eligible after sitting out. i think they have a few highly rated recruirts. devontae watson i think is a big guy who lost in one of the state finals and a wing player for jersey that i think is supposed to be pretty good - can't remember name at moment.

lasalle has everyone back except earl pettis next year so they should be a contender in A10. Umass could be favorite.

A10 talking about possibly Butler, VCU and George Mason to replace Temple and possible the exit of Charlotte and/or Umass for football reasons. If you add those 3 the league should stay strong and expect multiple bids each year.

Yeah, Wyatt, Jefferson, Pepper. Daniel Dingle is a big recruit coming in.

Never gonna go deep in a tourney if Fran keeps letting teams go on 15 point runs without calling timeout. :roll: How many times does it have to happen?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,541
    i was so happy to see that about cheek. thought it was a joke at fist too. he's probably thinking about playing overseas. good riddance. with wayns gone, i'd rather be done with him and let the young bucks just take over.

hopefully they get chennault. apparently there are more transfers than usual this year so hopefully jay can convince a good one to come to the main line.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Chennault played at NG with Duren of LaSalle. I say we have a reunion even though LaSalle needs a more versatile big man.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Chennault played at NG with Duren of LaSalle. I say we have a reunion even though LaSalle needs a more versatile big man.

no offense but if jay loses this guy to lasalle, maybe it actually will be time for him to step aside. :lol:

i can't believe all the nova fans/alumni/students who are ready to move on from jay wright already. boggles my mind.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:

no offense but if jay loses this guy to lasalle, maybe it actually will be time for him to step aside. :lol:

i can't believe all the nova fans/alumni/students who are ready to move on from jay wright already. boggles my mind.

I'll gladly trade coaches.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

I'll gladly trade coaches.

you can doctor john.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:

Yeah, pretty ridiculous. Some might feel that way with Fran. I'm frustrated with the tourney losses, but can't doubt how he has elevated the program and put it in a great position.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,310
    JK_Livin wrote:

Chennault's high school coach has pretty much indicated that Lasalle is out because it's too close to home for Chennault. High school coach also said he thought Nova would be perfect for him. I've seen that it's down to Nova or St. Joe's for him but I'd be shocked if he doesn't end up at Nova. He apparantly has a sick grandfather and is going to petition to play next year. if true than nova is a perfect fit for him.

LaSalle is already getting Tony Garland transferring from Va. Tech. he was a city guy too and a point guard as well i believe. he will sit out next year.

Johnny - i forgot about Dingle (isn't he dana dingle's who played for Umass' much younger brother? or somehow related?), the guy I was talking about was a North Jersey guy.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

Chennault's high school coach has pretty much indicated that Lasalle is out because it's too close to home for Chennault. High school coach also said he thought Nova would be perfect for him. I've seen that it's down to Nova or St. Joe's for him but I'd be shocked if he doesn't end up at Nova. He apparantly has a sick grandfather and is going to petition to play next year. if true than nova is a perfect fit for him.

LaSalle is already getting Tony Garland transferring from Va. Tech. he was a city guy too and a point guard as well i believe. he will sit out next year.

Johnny - i forgot about Dingle (isn't he dana dingle's who played for Umass' much younger brother? or somehow related?), the guy I was talking about was a North Jersey guy.

Garland transfered in December so he can play 2nd semester.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Got my tixx for Syracuse at MSG on December 22! :lol: (no seriously, I did get the tixx.)

• Options
    Got my tixx for Syracuse at MSG on December 22! :lol: (no seriously, I did get the tixx.)

darn early but still pretty sweet. love the Garden and for college hoops it's awesome although I'm guessing Syracuse will have a ton of fans there. Big East tourny without Syracuse wont' be the same that's for sure.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

darn early but still pretty sweet. love the Garden and for college hoops it's awesome although I'm guessing Syracuse will have a ton of fans there. Big East tourny without Syracuse wont' be the same that's for sure.

Yeah, so we need to represent. Actually not sure if I'll be able to make it, but I'd think I could easily recover the value of those tixx if need be.

It's part of the Gotham Classic, which will be 3 home games on campus (for Owls & the Cuse) and then vs. Syracuse at MSG - Sweet!

Pretty stupid that Syracuse is leaving the Big East - they are/were perfect for that conference.

• Options
    pjhawks wrote:

Yeah, so we need to represent. Actually not sure if I'll be able to make it, but I'd think I could easily recover the value of those tixx if need be.

It's part of the Gotham Classic, which will be 3 home games on campus (for Owls & the Cuse) and then vs. Syracuse at MSG - Sweet!

Pretty stupid that Syracuse is leaving the Big East - they are/were perfect for that conference.

f syracuse.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Looks like VCU is going to the shitty A-10. The CAA has been the stronger of those conferences, so I am guessing this is strictly about money. Weak
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Looks like VCU is going to the shitty A-10. The CAA has been the stronger of those conferences, so I am guessing this is strictly about money. Weak

the A10 averages 3 NCCA bids a year and has for like the past 10 years. CAA almost never gets any at-large bids...see Drexel this past year. CAA is not a better league even though they have had 2 final four appearacnes in 4 years. Old Dominion also looks to be leaving the CAA for Conference USA to move up in football so the CAA might be on shaky ground. This move really hurts Drexel. Great move for A10 adding Butler and VCU to replace Temple and Charlotte.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    The Fixer wrote:
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    The Fixer wrote:
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    The Fixer wrote:
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    The Fixer wrote:
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

the A10 averages 3 NCCA bids a year and has for like the past 10 years. CAA almost never gets any at-large bids...see Drexel this past year. CAA is not a better league even though they have had 2 final four appearacnes in 4 years. Old Dominion also looks to be leaving the CAA for Conference USA to move up in football so the CAA might be on shaky ground. This move really hurts Drexel. Great move for A10 adding Butler and VCU to replace Temple and Charlotte.

the A-10 perennially sucks in the tourney. it's a shit conference

CAA usually puts 2-3 teams in the tourney (same as the A-10). difference is the CAA wins games. drexel didn't deserve to get in last year.

Also, ODU's football program just started like 2 years ago. if they are changing conferences it's definitely not for football
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    CAA usually puts 2-3 teams in the tourney (same as the A-10). difference is the CAA wins games. drexel didn't deserve to get in last year.

Also, ODU's football program just started like 2 years ago. if they are changing conferences it's definitely not for football

not sure why my reply was posted like 4 times above but anyways - you are wrong on this. numbers don't support your argument. see articles below. one on ODU and story about VCU which gives the facts of why A10 is better. as a reminder Xavier has made the sweet 16 4 out of the last 5 years

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... rence-ties

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... 10-in-2013

key points from cbssports article above i've listed below:

"One reason VCU was interested in a move to the Atlantic 10 is the CAA is considered a “one-bid” league. Most seasons if the Rams don't win their conference tournament, they usually don't earn an NCAA tournament at-large berth. However, the A-10 has received multiple NCAA bids for five consecutive seasons.

Since 2000, the Colonial Athletic Association has received only four NCAA tournament at-large bids. By comparison, the Atlantic 10 had three at-large NCAA bids just this season and has had 20 NCAA at-large bids since 2000.

Since 2006 – even with George Mason and VCU reaching two Final Fours – the CAA only accrued 24 NCAA tournament units (awarded for every round advanced in the NCAA), compared to 36 for the Atlantic 10. Each unit is worth about $250,000."
  • Options
    yo Fixer man you were way off on this one between the A10 vs. CAA above and now ODU football. ODU to CAA and moving up in football after one more year.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... erence-usa
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    yo Fixer man you were way off on this one between the A10 vs. CAA above and now ODU football. ODU to CAA and moving up in football after one more year.

**crickets** when he was proven wrong.

anyhow Butler and VCU now both coming into the A10 for NEXT season and not waiting a year. ESPN mentioned A10 now has the 2nd most NCAA tourny teams retruning in once conference next season only behind the Big East and have 7 legitimate tourny contenders for next year.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

anyhow Butler and VCU now both coming into the A10 for NEXT season and not waiting a year. ESPN mentioned A10 now has the 2nd most NCAA tourny teams retruning in once conference next season only behind the Big East and have 7 legitimate tourny contenders for next year.

I never come into this thread.

I was wrong about hte number of teams the CAA places in the tourney. Last year was a down year for them. They are usually good for two squads a year though. Diff between them and the AIDS10 is that the CAA teams actually have success once they get to the tourney. Who was the last A10 team to go to the final 4? Umass? Pretty weak...especially considering they send more teams than the CAA

Towson's recruiting class is loaded. And they have 2 big east transfers that sat out last year, so they are eligible this year (gtown and so florida). And they have donyell marshall's kid coming in this year :lol: . They could be a sleeper in the CAA...love what pat skerry has done in only a year there.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

I never come into this thread.

I was wrong about hte number of teams the CAA places in the tourney. Last year was a down year for them. They are usually good for two squads a year though. Diff between them and the AIDS10 is that the CAA teams actually have success once they get to the tourney. Who was the last A10 team to go to the final 4? Umass? Pretty weak...especially considering they send more teams than the CAA

Towson's recruiting class is loaded. And they have 2 big east transfers that sat out last year, so they are eligible this year (gtown and so florida). And they have donyell marshall's kid coming in this year :lol: . They could be a sleeper in the CAA...love what pat skerry has done in only a year there.

Yes Umass the only one to make a final 4. Temple and X have made a bunch of final 8s. Rhode Island and the Hawks each made a final 8 as well. Hard to believe Temple and X haven't broken through, although Chaney's teams played some great teams in his Final 8s.

Towson - shocking how bad they have been the past few years. great campus, fertile hoops area, no reason for them to be that poor. with VCU leaving the CAA maybe they can make the jump up.
  • Options
    markus kennedy is an idiot. f him. he would have played a pretty big role next year.

we talked about this before but chenault and ennis both ended up transferring to nova. jay's going back to his guard roots....more than ever without kennedy i guess. :roll:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,570
    Where is Marcus Kennedy transfering to? I guess it should be NO surprise, cuz i think he went to 3 HS?

Not sure if Tony Chenault will be much of an impact player. I didn't think he could be in the ACC, so can he in the Big East?

Ennis has a brother at St. Benedict's who's pretty good. MAYBE Nova is recruiting him?

markus kennedy is an idiot. f him. he would have played a pretty big role next year.

we talked about this before but chenault and ennis both ended up transferring to nova. jay's going back to his guard roots....more than ever without kennedy i guess. :roll:
  • Options
    i dont know. i dont even think he knows. nova is just letting him go. and yeah he did go to multiple high schools. weird situation. i heard he lost a lot of weight since the season too. he was going to get a lot of minutes next year.

chennault should be serviceable. they didnt have much choice with both wayns and cheek leaving. they also have archiadondco (no idea how that kid spells his name) coming in. he should be their best shooting guard, other than stokes, than they've had in a while. i'm interested in seeing how ty johnson progresses too. i like his upside.

are you a nova fan?
    cutz wrote:
    Where is Marcus Kennedy transfering to? I guess it should be NO surprise, cuz i think he went to 3 HS?

Not sure if Tony Chenault will be much of an impact player. I didn't think he could be in the ACC, so can he in the Big East?

Ennis has a brother at St. Benedict's who's pretty good. MAYBE Nova is recruiting him?

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,570
    I guess will have to wait and see where Kennedy goes.

That's a good way to desribe Chenault: serviceable. He does play hard.

What the hell was Dominic Cheek thinking? He should've STAYED in school. What off the wall Country will he play in next year? cuz he ain't playing in the NBA. Cheek was a dissapointment at Nova. I thought Cheek would've been a better player then what he showed. He never really improved that much while he was at Nova.(same with Yaru too)

I don't think anyone knows how to spell Archiando>That's why they just call him Ryan Arch> :lol: I haven't seen him play since his Frosh year, but my friends say he's pretty good. I do know he missed ALL of his Senior year with a injury(back problem i think).

Yea, i think Ty Johnson will be alright.

I like Nova, and the REAL BIG Eas teams(not the L-Villes & Depaul's, etc. of the league)(plus the Big 5). I love college hoops, and i go to Highschool games(except for the last 3 season). In fact i've seen all of these players were talking about play in HS, except Yaru.
  • Options
    cutz wrote:
    I guess will have to wait and see where Kennedy goes.

That's a good way to desribe Chenault: serviceable. He does play hard.

What the hell was Dominic Cheek thinking? He should've STAYED in school. What off the wall Country will he play in next year? cuz he ain't playing in the NBA. Cheek was a dissapointment at Nova. I thought Cheek would've been a better player then what he showed. He never really improved that much while he was at Nova.(same with Yaru too)

I don't think anyone knows how to spell Archiando>That's why they just call him Ryan Arch> :lol: I haven't seen him play since his Frosh year, but my friends say he's pretty good. I do know he missed ALL of his Senior year with a injury(back problem i think).

Yea, i think Ty Johnson will be alright.

I like Nova, and the REAL BIG Eas teams(not the L-Villes & Depaul's, etc. of the league)(plus the Big 5). I love college hoops, and i go to Highschool games(except for the last 3 season). In fact i've seen all of these players were talking about play in HS, except Yaru.

cheek's a turd. he regressed. his family is dirt poor and i think his grandmom or someone is in bad shape. so he's just thinking about cashing in with some team in europe. some mock's actually have wayns going in the 2nd round. i'd be surprised if he gets drafted though.

and mouph...it's just been disapointing though i'm holding out hope for next year. he still looks so raw and really has only been playing basketball for what? 5 years? nova has really missed ed pinckney. i think he left in 07 or 08.

archidionco is supposedly healthy and playing in some tourneys this summer. he should be good to go in the fall. back's are tricky though i guess.

you need to post more in here.
    chinese-happy.jpg