Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,833
    I'm sorry but that was a bullshit call. That was egregious making that call in the final second/last possession of the game. Certainly not enough there to call that foul.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,761
    Looks like I was right about the seeding. ;)

Seems like a good draw. I hope the Wednesday game goes into triple OT.

Too bad about Drexel with St Bona winning.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,302
    Looks like I was right about the seeding. ;)

Seems like a good draw. I hope the Wednesday game goes into triple OT.

Too bad about Drexel with St Bona winning.

i thought a 6 or 7 (but said best seed could be a 5 which they are) so i was off a line although dunph agrees with me that they are higher than expected. would think kind of weird trying to prepare for 2 teams instead of one. didn't see much of cal this year. think south florida wouldn't be a bad draw though. i think the owls are way better than that team.

although Drexel had a great case really hard to argue much with the teams who made it this year. to me West Virginia and NC State are a bit too highly seeded but in general seems well put together this year.

upset special at 1st glance - Davdison over Louisville

philly is apparantly NIT-central with 3 teams playing home games wednesday night. not sure how i feel for the hawks. pretty disgusted losing to the Bonnies and having that team in the NCAAs although at least enjoyed them beating Xavier. this Xavier team is really unlikable. other than the hawks losing friday afternoon session was was a lot of fun, 2 really good games well played games. and the A10 tourny was pretty entertaining this year. too bad it's in brooklyn for the next 5 years.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Rough weekend for the Philly teams and my liver. I didn't get to see the Owls and Hawks games but the fan turnout for LaSalle was pretty bad. A Friday night in AC should have had a better crowd. I guess that's what happens when you go 20 years without any postseason play. LaSalle has lost a generation's worth of fans it seems like.

The refs were so bad both ways. There were some brutal calls that put LaSalle in a 14-2 hole and then they made brutal calls against St. Louis to get LaSalle back in the game. One of the refs was skipping up and down the court and another would do a pirouette while making a call. It was like they were trying to put on a show.
    LaSalle just missed too many shots. At one point Majerus lifted his hands and his sweater rolled up over his gut and he took far too long to pull it down. :shock:
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    i thought a 6 or 7 (but said best seed could be a 5 which they are) so i was off a line although dunph agrees with me that they are higher than expected. would think kind of weird trying to prepare for 2 teams instead of one. didn't see much of cal this year. think south florida wouldn't be a bad draw though. i think the owls are way better than that team.

Come on, you can do it. "I WAS WRONG." See, it's not that hard.

I think the Owls should be able to handle South Florida if that's who they play. With the VCU history from last year it's kind of scary to play the play-in team.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,502
    pjhawks wrote:

I think the Owls should be able to handle South Florida if that's who they play. With the VCU history from last year it's kind of scary to play the play-in team.

beware of the dreaded 12-5 upset though johnny...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

beware of the dreaded 12-5 upset though johnny...

Yeah, all too aware. :roll:

• Options
    pjhawks wrote:

I was wrong. not really hard to admit when the evidence is crystal clear. although i imagine to someone who thinks 6 in a conference and 2nd in division is somehow better than 2nd in the conference and 1st in the division one year later as you tried to make a point about the flyers last week might not quite understand that premise.

either way good luck to your owls.
  • Options
    according to ESPN Butler is interested in taking Temple's place in the A10. that has to be a no-brainer for the A10 leadership to accept. Butler would be a fabulous addition and frankly has more in common size wise with the other A10 schools than Temple does. I think that would leave Umass and Charlotte and I guess Rhode Island (not sure if they are a state school or not) as the only state schools left in the league if i'm not mistaken. and Umass and Charlotte are upgrading football to D1 in the near future so probably aren't long for the league anyways. Plus adding Butler would help solidify Xavier and Dayton's commitment to the league i think.
  • Options
    The NIT is all about Philly tonight. Let's go LaSalle and the rest of you guys.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Malik Wayans declaring for the NBA draft :shock: What's he smoking?
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Temple welcome to the Big East via Times Square:

http://mobile.bigeastcoastbias.com/2012/3/14/2870673/temple-gets-the-times-square-welcome-from-the-big-east-as-it-has-done

Alright, enough about the Big East - time for the NCAA's!

• Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Malik Wayans declaring for the NBA draft :shock: What's he smoking?

this was expected. he's just testing the waters like scottie reynolds did a few years ago.

he's got no shot to get drafted but i've read that he may consider taking the money from the d league or playing overseas as opposed to returning for his senior year.

he has till 4/10 to hire an agent. if not, he's coming back.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,833
    pjhawks wrote:

This is awesome.
  • Options
    Well LaSalle dissappointed again last night but the season was a welcome surprise. Our coach needs to learn how to run an offense in a tight game. We need another big man with some lateral movement.

LaSalle got some free advertising with Galloway's dunk being #2 on the Sportscenter top 10.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    South Florida looked beastly last night against Cal. Don't know if they are just that tough or if Cal is a bunch of pansies. Think Friday night is gonna be a tough one though.

btw - glad Jay Wright found something to do in March. :lol: I shouldn't say too much - he has about 10 times as many tourney wins as Dunph. Hopefully that changes soon.

• Options
    South Florida looked beastly last night against Cal. Don't know if they are just that tough or if Cal is a bunch of pansies. Think Friday night is gonna be a tough one though.

btw - glad Jay Wright found something to do in March. :lol: I shouldn't say too much - he has about 10 times as many tourney wins as Dunph. Hopefully that changes soon.

yeah. maybe focus on getting out of the first weekend for the first time since the clinton administration before talking shit on jay :lol:

and yeah, south florida is pretty tough. nova lost to them seemingly every other week this year. not a great shooting team but they will hammer you under the boards. temple should beat them though.

gonna be watching it my buddy's house tomorrow with a bunch of temple fans. the timing of the game is awesome with the sixers/heat on at 7. should be a fun night of hoops
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

yeah. maybe focus on getting out of the first weekend for the first time since the clinton administration before talking shit on jay :lol:

and yeah, south florida is pretty tough. nova lost to them seemingly every other week this year. not a great shooting team but they will hammer you under the boards. temple should beat them though.

gonna be watching it my buddy's house tomorrow with a bunch of temple fans. the timing of the game is awesome with the sixers/heat on at 7. should be a fun night of hoops

Bush was president in March 2001. :P

• Options

Bush was president in March 2001. :P

we're getting old. :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Welp, here we go. 16th game of the day. Lots of alcohol to be consumed tonight.

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,661
    Brutal
  • Options
    ONE and DUNPH. ugly game. I like Fran as a coach but 2-13 in the ncca's, and 1-5 at temple is pretty awful. pretty much booted a lock appearance in the Sweet 16 last night. Thought Fran coached an awful game by walking the ball up the court and not applying defensive pressure to a team that is great in half court defense and wants to limit possessions as much as possible. fran's offense and defense last night played right into south florida's hands. losing by 14 to a team that didn't score a field goal for 18 minutes is almost impossible.

the best thing about temple losing was seeing the whiny sniveling butthole khalif wyatt T'd up after whining for the 9000 time this season. what a head case. he was disciplined 3x for being late, whines on every call...i wonder if Fran puts up with him next year or gives him the boot.
  • Options
    it's pretty funny to see a st joes fan rip on temple's problems in the tournament. :lol:

in all seriousness, i think that game set basketball back about 20 years. that's gotta be a tough one to swallow johnny. especially with michigan losing. another rough year for the big 5.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    it's pretty funny to see a st joes fan rip on temple's problems in the tournament. :lol:

in all seriousness, i think that game set basketball back about 20 years. that's gotta be a tough one to swallow johnny. especially with michigan losing. another rough year for the big 5.

typical nova fan response. what does my team sucking have to do with commenting on the temple game? since your nova squad was the 6th best team in the city does that mean you should stfu in this thread?

fyi: Martelli 6-5 in NCAA tourny, Dunph 2-13, 1-5 at Temple.
  • Options
    GO HOOSIERS!
    I go to IU, and it's the first time we've done this well in ten years or so.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

typical nova fan response. what does my team sucking have to do with commenting on the temple game? since your nova squad was the 6th best team in the city does that mean you should stfu in this thread?

right. you can comment on it all you want. but making fun of them for their tourney deficiencies is the equivalent of someone like metsfan making fun of the phillies for losing in the first round of the playoffs. reeks of sour grapes from a fan of a team who hasn't won a tourney game in 8 very long years.

come tourney time, to me at least, i think we should all get behind our fellow philly teams.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

right. you can comment on it all you want. but making fun of them for their tourney deficiencies is the equivalent of someone like metsfan making fun of the phillies for losing in the first round of the playoffs. reeks of sour grapes from a fan of a team who hasn't won a tourney game in 8 very long years.

come tourney time, to me at least, i think we should all get behind our fellow philly teams.
    i was cheering for Temple and wanted them to win and really thought they were going to the Sweet 16 this year. you should know by now though Juggler when you take shots at other people and other teams, and pound your chest about your team, when your team chokes you have to expect it back. and frankly their whiny fan base deserves it as well.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

i was cheering for Temple and wanted them to win and really thought they were going to the Sweet 16 this year. you should know by now though Juggler when you take shots at other people and other teams, and pound your chest about your team, when your team chokes you have to expect it back. and frankly their whiny fan base deserves it as well.

8 years. i believe my original point still applies.

nice to see drexel advance in the nit though
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I would actually say pjhawks summed it up pretty well. Dunphy coached terribly, especially waiting until they were DOWN BY ELEVEN before calling a timeout in the 2nd half. By then it was too little too late to come back. Probably the worst game Temple played all season and perhaps the worst loss in Temple basketball history, especially considering you had a MAC team waiting in the 2nd round. Yeah, it's a tough one to swallow.

No excuses from the "whiny" fan (seriously - I bitch about how we won and didn't deserve to about 5 times as often as the vice versa, so shut the fuck up already - just read through this thread) - my team played like shit and deserves to be knocked out.

• Options
    Dominick Cheek declares for NBA draft. :lol::lol: i actually thought it was a joke when i 1st saw it. nova could be really awful next year if they don't end up with a good transfer (tony chennault from wake forest or juco) that is eligilbe next year. pretty much pinkston and that's it.

hawks have everyone back next year. should have made tourny this year with the talent. if they don't make it next year it might be the end for Martelli. fans are not happy and word is a few of the big donors aren't too happy with him.

temple - wyatt and jefferson back right johnny? with dalton pepper eligible after sitting out. i think they have a few highly rated recruirts. devontae watson i think is a big guy who lost in one of the state finals and a wing player for jersey that i think is supposed to be pretty good - can't remember name at moment.

lasalle has everyone back except earl pettis next year so they should be a contender in A10. Umass could be favorite.

A10 talking about possibly Butler, VCU and George Mason to replace Temple and possible the exit of Charlotte and/or Umass for football reasons. If you add those 3 the league should stay strong and expect multiple bids each year.