Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,278
    Owls pulled out a nice win at St. Louis last night. Wyatt had an insane stretch of 3-pointers (he actually threw one in almost from half court after Dunph finally called a timeout :lol: ). And Moore iced the game with a monster last 3 minutes. Road wins are always tough, and this was SLU's first home loss of the season.

got to see most of the 2nd half after returning home from the hawks-fordham game (typical boring fordham game.) great win for Temple. 0-2 in league would have been tough start. wyatt is playing at an all-league level.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,724
    pjhawks wrote:
    Owls pulled out a nice win at St. Louis last night. Wyatt had an insane stretch of 3-pointers (he actually threw one in almost from half court after Dunph finally called a timeout :lol: ). And Moore iced the game with a monster last 3 minutes. Road wins are always tough, and this was SLU's first home loss of the season.

got to see most of the 2nd half after returning home from the hawks-fordham game (typical boring fordham game.) great win for Temple. 0-2 in league would have been tough start. wyatt is playing at an all-league level.

Fordham is the team I usually give (along with St. Bonav) as why it sucks to play in the A-10. Nobody wants to pay $$$ to go see Fordham. My buddy has a coworker who went to St. Bonav and always comes to the games when they play at Temple, and is always talking about their losing streak at Temple which dates to the 30s or something. "The streak ends tonight!" :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    AyedavanitaAyedavanita Posts: 1,443
    Duke_Blue_Devils-300x225.jpg

Here's for our haters and our win tonight ;)

Hey, va fancul and scram. You're 0-1 vs. the Big 5 this year, so shove it.

temple_university_logo2.jpg

:lol: Shove what? Another WIN down the throat of Duke haters? Hahahahahaaa!!!
    "You think I got my eyes closed but I'm lookin' at you the whole fuckin' time..."
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    not a good weekend for the Big 5 A10 teams. all lost. hawks season turning to the downside. 2 weeks ago i thought we were on way to an at-large birth, now will be lucky to be in top half of A10. 2-2 in the league with at Xavier, non-leauge Penn saturday night, then Datyon, at Temple and at Richmond. Next 4 league games are absolutely best 2-2. not a good scenario.
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Tough loss for the Explorers at Dayton. They never had the lead. Down by as many as 12 in 2nd half but had a chance to tie the game with under 20 seconds left. So at least they fought back. Big game v. Temple on Wednesday.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    big night for Philly A10 schools.

Hawks at Xavier. 5.5 to 6.5 point dogs tonight. Got a good feeling the Hawks hang but see them coming up short.

LaSalle at Temple as well. Big game for Temple as they sit at 1-2 in the league. Also see if LaSalle is a legitimate contender. Not sure how to feel about this one. can see it going either way. should be a hell of a game though.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

Hawks at Xavier. 5.5 to 6.5 point dogs tonight. Got a good feeling the Hawks hang but see them coming up short.

LaSalle at Temple as well. Big game for Temple as they sit at 1-2 in the league. Also see if LaSalle is a legitimate contender. Not sure how to feel about this one. can see it going either way. should be a hell of a game though.

Yeah, big week for Temple with Lasalle tonight and Maryland on Saturday. Hey fraud police - I invited a friend who's coming up from DC on Sat to the Md game - and he's a Md grad. :o
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    I want streamers back :!:
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I want streamers back :!:

yes those were awesome back in the day. they put a stop to it because it stopped the game...now we stop the game every 5 minutes to review elbows, the clock, wipe a miniscule speck of blood off a uniform, and have a 5-year old try and mop up sweat off the floor leading to a player or ref taking over because said 5-year has no idea what he is doing...but i digress :lol:
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,446
    pjhawks wrote:

Yeah, big week for Temple with Lasalle tonight and Maryland on Saturday. Hey fraud police - I invited a friend who's coming up from DC on Sat to the Md game - and he's a Md grad. :o

...how's that fraudulent?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    it's the jayvaughn pinkston coming out party on the main line tonight :clap:

bout time!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    it's the jayvaughn pinkston coming out party on the main line tonight :clap:

bout time!

just don't lock him in a closet :lol:

hawks got beatdown in 2nd half at X but A10 leading scorer Tay Jones sat out with bad ankle. team is regressing. need to step it up. Penn saturday night at the Palestra then Dayton at home before at Temple so next 2 A10 games don't get any easier.
  • Options
    Tough win over Lasalle. Probably the big difference was Temple hit their free throws :o and Lasalle was terrible on the line. Jefferson (wait - Hollis-Jefferson - forgot he got married) hit a big basket to put it away with about 30 seconds to go.

Every game is a struggle for this team...

• Options
    LaSalle needs to win some of these close games vs. good teams. The problem is our coach doesn't excel in close game situations.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    LaSalle needs to win some of these close games vs. good teams. The problem is our coach doesn't excel in close game situations.

Also your big guys were fouling out or playing with 4. Explorers made a nice run though after being down 7 or 8 much of the 2nd half. Lasalle fans had a presence too. It was a good night, especially since it ended well. 8-)

• Options
    Cool weekend for Big 5.

Owls with a nice win over Maryland to sweep the ACC for the year. 8-) Fernandez found his shot again, and Eric came back, so maybe this team can make a run after all. A-10 is really tough this year.

Penn beat St. Joe's - didn't see it, but that's awesome. :lol:

Nova beat St. Johns. I saw St. Johns a couple years ago and they were a bunch of thugs, so I'm glad they lost.

• Options
    Cool weekend for Big 5.

Owls with a nice win over Maryland to sweep the ACC for the year. 8-) Fernandez found his shot again, and Eric came back, so maybe this team can make a run after all. A-10 is really tough this year.

Nova beat St. Johns. I saw St. Johns a couple years ago and they were a bunch of thugs, so I'm glad they lost.

Johnny, Hawks were flat out awful for 30 minutes against Penn. Down 23 in the 2nd half. Penn got any shot they wanted against Hawks for 1st 30 mintues. Hawks pressed and made a huge run and cut it to 4 with 4 minutes to go but never got it closer until the last seconds. I am stunned how this team has fallen apart. Tay Jones is battling an ankle injury but this is nowhere near the team they were in early December. No energy, awful defense, lousy offense. Just in a deep funk and i'm not sure they are coming out of it. what looked like a team that could make a run at an at-large birth 3 weeks ago has turned into a team that might be lucky to get even into the NIT. turning into a disaster of a season. good news is the next two are only Dayton at home wednesday and down to North Broad on saturday afternoon. the natives are getting restless with Martelli as well.

and that new scoreboard/replay board at the Palestra is awesome. reminds me of citizens bank park.
  • Options
    A good night for 4 out of 5 teams. Nice win for St. Joes. My Explorers matched last year's win total and Ramon Galloway went off. Kudos to TU and Drexel as well.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cool weekend for Big 5.

Johnny, Hawks were flat out awful for 30 minutes against Penn. Down 23 in the 2nd half. Penn got any shot they wanted against Hawks for 1st 30 mintues. Hawks pressed and made a huge run and cut it to 4 with 4 minutes to go but never got it closer until the last seconds. I am stunned how this team has fallen apart. Tay Jones is battling an ankle injury but this is nowhere near the team they were in early December. No energy, awful defense, lousy offense. Just in a deep funk and i'm not sure they are coming out of it. what looked like a team that could make a run at an at-large birth 3 weeks ago has turned into a team that might be lucky to get even into the NIT. turning into a disaster of a season. good news is the next two are only Dayton at home wednesday and down to North Broad on saturday afternoon. the natives are getting restless with Martelli as well.

and that new scoreboard/replay board at the Palestra is awesome. reminds me of citizens bank park.

The Hawks downfall has coincided with the story of Martelli not letting that guy play at UAB I think? :? Karma?

We are always bitching about the antiquated scoreboard at the Apollo. Looking forward to Saturday afternoon. ;)

Owls with a blowout win at Charlotte last night - not too many of those this year. I think Eric had 9 boards, so that's a GREAT sign. :D If he stays healthy and regains his form this team could make a deep run.

• Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    A good night for 4 out of 5 teams. Nice win for St. Joes. My Explorers matched last year's win total and Ramon Galloway went off. Kudos to TU and Drexel as well.
    :x :x :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:

They hung in there for a while... ;)

• Options
    JK_Livin wrote:

if wayns didn't get into foul trouble...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

if wayns didn't get into foul trouble...

or if Dom Cheek didn't totally suck :lol::lol::lol: was at Hawks so didn't see any of the Nova game. Cheek is just an absolute brick layer from 3. suprised Jay still lets him fire away. and when was the last time Nova was the 5th best team in the city?

right now I'd rank the city like this: 1-Temple, 2-LaSalle, 3-Drexel, 4-Hawks, 5-Nova and 6-Penn

going to be a good one on saturday Johnny. Not sure the Hawks will have enough to pull out a close one at the end but hoping they have a shot late. hawks looked better last night with win over Dayton although Dayton helped but missing a ton of 3-pointers. Aiken and Roberts were outstanding last night. Roberts is a beast in the post. Hope we can get it to him all day saturday.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    going to be a good one on saturday Johnny. Not sure the Hawks will have enough to pull out a close one at the end but hoping they have a shot late. hawks looked better last night with win over Dayton although Dayton helped but missing a ton of 3-pointers. Aiken and Roberts were outstanding last night. Roberts is a beast in the post. Hope we can get it to him all day saturday.

If Eric regains form I think the Owls are headed for a few blowout wins, especially at home (pretty much all their home games were blowouts last year; we underestimated what Lavoy Allen meant to that team). But Big 5 games tend to be tougher for whatever reason.

• Options
    pjhawks wrote:

If Eric regains form I think the Owls are headed for a few blowout wins, especially at home (pretty much all their home games were blowouts last year; we underestimated what Lavoy Allen meant to that team). But Big 5 games tend to be tougher for whatever reason.

i actually passed on tickets to that game...because i was going to the nova game....aaand now i'm not even able to go to that due to a family function. :x
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    johnny---your boy lavoy allen has gotten a lot of playing time due to injuries lately and has played real well. real active crashing the boards
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    johnny---your boy lavoy allen has gotten a lot of playing time due to injuries lately and has played real well. real active crashing the boards

Sweet! I'll have to check them out.

Nice ass kicking for the Owls. Student section after tiring of "I Believe the Hawk Is Dead" chant: "This is awkward.". :lol: This team is monsterish with Eric in there.

• Options

Nice ass kicking for the Owls. Student section after tiring of "I Believe the Hawk Is Dead" chant: "This is awkward.". :lol: This team is monsterish with Eric in there.

utterly embarrassing effort by the hawks. disgusted. bout done with martelli. his buddy dunph is kicking his ass and laughing at him. 23 down to penn last saturday, 27 down to temple this saturday, how many down to lasalle next saturday?
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

utterly embarrassing effort by the hawks. disgusted. bout done with martelli. his buddy dunph is kicking his ass and laughing at him. 23 down to penn last saturday, 27 down to temple this saturday, how many down to lasalle next saturday?

i meant to ask what you thought of martelli at this point. looked like it could be a promising season...now a disappointment?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    i meant to ask what you thought of martelli at this point. looked like it could be a promising season...now a disappointment?

i didn't expect to win at Temple but they way it happened is just unacceptable.
    phil has done great things on hawk hill but the glory days are 8 years out, last ncaa bid 5 years ago and without jameer only 2 ncaa's in the other 13 years. some other numbers on top of 10 straight losses to temple, 6-21 in the last 27 vs. city opponents, 1-6 in his last 7 game against IVY league opponents...ivy league :evil: - 3 years after completion of a $50 million dollar facilities renovation and the highest per game ticket prices in the city ($30.00 a game plus mandatory donation for season ticket holders) phil has produced 2 20-loss seasons and now after a very promising 10-3 start the season has turned again. the talent in the program this year is better than what the record shows and he is flat out not getting the best out of it. the only player is who playing equal or better today than they did in december is Ron Roberts. they rest have all stagnated or regressed. getting thumped and having Ramone Moore be quoted as saying he thought the hawks would have more fire is telling. how can you not have fire playing a rival who has kcked your ass 9 straight times and whose fans mocked and laughed at you last year. i don't get it at all. all i want is to win, whether that is with phil or not. ill take it either way but personally i thnk the program in general would be better off with new direction although the only way that is going to happen is if phil resigns because his contract still runs through 2016. and the fan base is getting extremely restless.