Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,724
    FUCK YEAH!

were you there?

that was pretty awesome. fuck duke.

Yeah I was there. I really didn't think we had a chance to be honest, with the lack of depth down low. I was right in a way, because those giant white guys just killed the Owls all game. But nobody else on their team did anything, and the Owls really were just the better team - the 5 point differential was misleading in that the game wasn't really that close.

Wyatt made a couple 3's towards the end, the 2nd one being one of those "no don't take that shot, what are you doing? yeah! it went in!" shots.

One of the most satisfying sports events I've been to. But the crowd court storming was WAY out of control. It looked like somebody got hurt maybe. I must be getting cranky in my old age. :lol: Duke must get annoyed that fans storm the court whenever they lose. Oh well, fuck 'em. :mrgreen:

Now we just need to not have a let down in the A-10 opener vs. Dayton, which is usually a tough game.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Really good night for Temple, obviously. Even better that Xavier lost to Lasalle, so the Owls could have a good shot at finally winning a regular season A-10 title, especially with playing Xavier at home this year. :D
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,278
    FUCK YEAH!

were you there?

Yeah I was there. I really didn't think we had a chance to be honest, with the lack of depth down low. I was right in a way, because those giant white guys just killed the Owls all game. But nobody else on their team did anything, and the Owls really were just the better team - the 5 point differential was misleading in that the game wasn't really that close.

Wyatt made a couple 3's towards the end, the 2nd one being one of those "no don't take that shot, what are you doing? yeah! it went in!" shots.

One of the most satisfying sports events I've been to. But the crowd court storming was WAY out of control. It looked like somebody got hurt maybe. I must be getting cranky in my old age. :lol: Duke must get annoyed that fans storm the court whenever they lose. Oh well, fuck 'em. :mrgreen:

Now we just need to not have a let down in the A-10 opener vs. Dayton, which is usually a tough game.

great win johnny. dunph is the man. lose guys and keeps on winning. for a team that has seemed to struggle at times record is pretty good and now a huge scalp. the wyatt shot was the killer and was about 30 feet. i love wyatt and moore's games. they got iron balls those 2. and seems like storming the court to you is like people wearing jerseys to me? :lol:

great win for LaSalle too. Xavier has lost their moxy since the fight. they looked very timid tonight. lasalle has some talent on the wings and are really playing well as a team for the 1st time in years. they could be dangerous.

hawks overcame a 16-point deficit in the last 7 minutes to eek out an overtime win at duquesne. sounded like a horrible effort by the hawks until the end. only good thing is that it's a win and a road win in the league. now at 11-4.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Sure, leave it to Dunphy to steal LaSalle's thunder. The Big 5 was representing last night. Great win for LaSalle. I'm not sure how to feel because they haven't had a win like that in a while. I know X has been struggling since the brawl but fuck it. I'll take it.

I hate Dook, always a soft team. Coach K and his legion of minion assistant coaches can suck it.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    FUCK YEAH!

were you there?

Dayton just lost their 2nd best player with an ACL injury for the rest of the year.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Dayton just lost their 2nd best player with an ACL injury for the rest of the year.

I'm sure they will still bring it. Although Dayton is usually really tough to beat in their barn, but not so much when they're on the road (I think the Owls slaughtered them 2 years ago).

Did LaSalle storm the court last night? I liked the scene at WTF Center, just didn't want anyone (especially a player, a la Pepe Sanchez) to get hurt.

• Options
    JK_Livin wrote:

I'm sure they will still bring it. Although Dayton is usually really tough to beat in their barn, but not so much when they're on the road (I think the Owls slaughtered them 2 years ago).

Did LaSalle storm the court last night? I liked the scene at WTF Center, just didn't want anyone (especially a player, a la Pepe Sanchez) to get hurt.

Haha. I didn't notice any court storming but it would be more difficult because; a: not enough fans and b: no seats on the ends of the court.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,446
    i won't lie johnny...i had duke -5.5 in the 2nd half. :lol: ...only a small play though. going large on the sixers eased that loss. and it became apparent quickly that i was gonna lose so i rooted for temple regardless.

so that's 3 years in a row knocking off a top 10 team now?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    i won't lie johnny...i had duke -5.5 in the 2nd half. :lol: ...only a small play though. going large on the sixers eased that loss. and it became apparent quickly that i was gonna lose so i rooted for temple regardless.

so that's 3 years in a row knocking off a top 10 team now?

5.5? Yea I would've laid the points too Jeags. :lol:

4 straight years, actually. 8-) In 2008-09 Dionte Christmas destroyed Tennessee.

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,202
    philly basketball goes 5-0 last night. Temple, LaSalle, Penn, St. Joe's and Drexel all won last night :thumbup:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    this might be the worst Nova team i've seen. boy are they bad...and i'm not broken up about it ;) .
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    this might be the worst Nova team i've seen. boy are they bad...and i'm not broken up about it ;) .

Jay is still the best dressed coach around. 8-)
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    felt like i was watching one those late 90's lappas teams out there last night.

dominic cheek is a giant turd.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

Heard they might be booted out of the Big 5 in favor of Drexel. :P

• Options

cheek is awful. battling aaron bain (from the late 80s or so, you might be too young to remember him?) as the worst McDonald's All-American nova has recruited.

hawks have charlotte at home tomorrow. i know temple has dayton, not sure who lasalle has.

college hoops is awesome once league play starts. so many good games. good to see indiana playing well again.
  • Options
    I'm even more confident now that LaSalle would've beaten Nova and Pitt if they had Galloway.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    pjhawks wrote:

cheek is awful. battling aaron bain (from the late 80s or so, you might be too young to remember him?) as the worst McDonald's All-American nova has recruited.

hawks have charlotte at home tomorrow. i know temple has dayton, not sure who lasalle has.

college hoops is awesome once league play starts. so many good games. good to see indiana playing well again.

aaron bain...haha....yeah that was late 80's/early 90's i think. dude, i'm 33 years old. :lol: i remember him.

how old are you by the way? sometimes you make it seem like your are 20 years older than the rest of us here.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I'm even more confident now that LaSalle would've beaten Nova and Pitt if they had Galloway.

fuck pitt. love seeing them lose.

nova has depaul next though...then syracuse. :x
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

aaron bain...haha....yeah that was late 80's/early 90's i think. dude, i'm 33 years old. :lol: i remember him.

how old are you by the way? sometimes you make it seem like your are 20 years older than the rest of us here.

i'm 43. i thought you might have been a bit younger like late 20s or so. i was in high school in '85 and played ball with a bunch of nova fans so my hatred was fully starting then. i always tell people i was born in the wrong era: no 3-point shot when i was in high school, girls had big hair and clothes usually covered every inch of their body and the music sucked. only good thing with being in hs in the 80s was alcohol and drugs were so much easier to come by :D
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

LaSalle has UMass(12-3) which just beat Fordham which just beat Harvard.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,202
    pjhawks wrote:

I always thought Drexel should be included in the Big 5 (or Big 6)
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Pretty terrible loss for Temple yesterday. Typical to waste all the good will from beating Duke then blow it in the A-10 opener at home. Dayton played well and hit some big shots, but also was the recipient of strangely biased and terrible officiating (yea, sour grapes, but it was bad).

• Options
    LaSalle did their best to blow a 26pt half-time lead but they held on. I'll just keep enjoying the ride. Figures that one of the few times LaSalle is actually on tv, my son has a game. I guess if they keep winning maybe they'll get a couple more games on tv.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    well the hawks had a terrible effort on saturday. players and coaches were in lala land. twice had players not move on missed foul shots giving charlotte easy rebounds and twice had charlotte steal the ball on routine in-bounds. charlotte didn't even play all that well either. just an awful loss for the hawks. get fordham at home wednesday then at umass saturday.

didn't see any of the other big 5 games this weekend although did stay up late saturday night to watch the stanford-oregon state 4 overtime game. crazy game that was.
  • Options
    The Explorers are still rolling. Now come 2 tough games, @ Dayton and @ Temple.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    pjhawks wrote:

I always thought Drexel should be included in the Big 5 (or Big 6)

they're more deserving than nova, who isn't even located in the city :roll:
  • Options
    AyedavanitaAyedavanita Posts: 1,443
    Duke_Blue_Devils-300x225.jpg

Here's for our haters and our win tonight ;)
    "You think I got my eyes closed but I'm lookin' at you the whole fuckin' time..."
  • Options
    Dook = mouth fart!

I'll say it while I have the chance, LaSalle is the only undefeated team in A-10 conference games :D :shock:
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Duke_Blue_Devils-300x225.jpg

Here's for our haters and our win tonight ;)

Hey, va fancul and scram. You're 0-1 vs. the Big 5 this year, so shove it.

temple_university_logo2.jpg
    Post edited by Johnny Abruzzo on

• Options
    Owls pulled out a nice win at St. Louis last night. Wyatt had an insane stretch of 3-pointers (he actually threw one in almost from half court after Dunph finally called a timeout :lol: ). And Moore iced the game with a monster last 3 minutes. Road wins are always tough, and this was SLU's first home loss of the season.