Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,261
    The guy who wants to ban fans from wearing jerseys is happy to see his teams' fans storm the court after beating Creighton. :?

never said i wanted to ban wearing jerseys - just think the whole jersey thing is so far overblown it's sick. saw a flyers winter classic jersey for $220.00 the other day - who the fuck in their right mind would buy a hockey jersey for $220.00? the wearing of jerseys is out of control. sorry i don't understand the absolute need for it at all.

and a question was asked why the students stormed the court and i answered it from a hawks fan perspective. cool if you don't agree with it - i do think it's something that is overdone in general though.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,389
    pjhawks wrote:
    The guy who wants to ban fans from wearing jerseys is happy to see his teams' fans storm the court after beating Creighton. :?

never said i wanted to ban wearing jerseys - just think the whole jersey thing is so far overblown it's sick. saw a flyers winter classic jersey for $220.00 the other day - who the fuck in their right mind would buy a hockey jersey for $220.00? the wearing of jerseys is out of control. sorry i don't understand the absolute need for it at all.

and a question was asked why the students stormed the court and i answered it from a hawks fan perspective. cool if you don't agree with it - i do think it's something that is overdone in general though.

IT'S INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OUTTA CONTROL, THESE JERSEY-WEARER'S ARE!!!!! :o:o:o:o:lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    pjhawks wrote:
    i would think a LaSalle fan would celebrate any win at this point. don't worry post-season will come in the next 2 or 3 decades for LaSalle :lol::lol::lol:

LaSalle should be allowed to storm a court if their winning at half-time. :lol: 20 years is a long time post-season play. Hopefully it ends this year.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,680
    If someone wants to wear a $220 jersey that's their own prerogative (hello Bobby Brown!). So is it "don't wear another man's name on your back" or "don't spend $220 on a jersey"???

Personally I'm not really into wearing jerseys - I have better things to spend my money on (like $53 for a PJ20 vinyl :lol: ). But I don't give a shit if other people wear them.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

and my new avatar is the picture of the dunk that Dick Jerardi in today's Philly Daily News called the best he has seen in the Big 5 in years.

and this means so much.

jerardi is a tool. and he looks like a fat pelican

also, having a teenager as your avatar is very sandusky

but wearing a shirt with another man's name on it is perfectly fine? how's that brent celek jersey working out for you?

and i would imagine someone who is as big of a fan as you are has a picture of a player or team somewhere in your house or so (im guessing chase utley near the bed....) so how is that any different?

Key word in your first question is 'man'. You have a boy as your avatar. I find it hilarious that you think wearing a 'man's' (your word) jersey is wrong but an avatar of a college boy is OK. I wonder what dick jerardi thinks

I only wear football jerseys if I'm going to a game. haven't worn the celek since last year's playoff game vs GB (the game known as vick chokes part 54)

No pictures of athletes in my house. I think I stopped that crap right around the time I got my drivers license.
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    If someone wants to wear a $220 jersey that's their own prerogative (hello Bobby Brown!). So is it "don't wear another man's name on your back" or "don't spend $220 on a jersey"???

Personally I'm not really into wearing jerseys - I have better things to spend my money on (like $53 for a PJ20 vinyl :lol: ). But I don't give a shit if other people wear them.

the only jersey I would wear these days is football. I like the reebok ripoffs better than the authentics because they fit better. I have a dawkins authentic that goes down to my knees (and I'm 5'11). I think Ive worn it once.

You can get the reebok ripoffs (the ones with stitched numbers, not the ghetto ironed on numbers) cheap. I paid $45 including shipping from china for my celek throwback

The gay rally towels...or giving fans the same color t-shirts to wear...are much, much worse than jersey wearing (unless it's a jersey with your name on the back. that takes the cake for worst sports fan gear)
  • Options
    the hawk will never die. congrats pjhawks.

gonna be a long year on the main line...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    the hawk will never die. congrats pjhawks.

gonna be a long year on the main line...

Congrats Hawks. Looking forward to some good matchups this year. ;)

Owls hoping to salvage a game on the Texas road trip at Rice tonight. Probably winning the New Mexico Bowl was more important thought. 8-)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Well this sure doesn't reflect well on St. Joe's, does it?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/ncaa/12/19/todd.obrien/index.html

Anybody know the other side of this story?

• Options
    Well this sure doesn't reflect well on St. Joe's, does it?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/ncaa/12/19/todd.obrien/index.html

Anybody know the other side of this story?

1st off saturday night was a lot of fun. This team is so much fun to watch with their atleticism and insane dunks. nova is just not very good and if they insist on continuing to shoot as many 3s as they do they are going to suck all year. they are an atrocious 3-point shooting team - no way they should ever take 27 in a game like they did saturday night.

johnny - saw very little of the texas game but saw where the Owls got out rebounded by like 26 boards. if Eric and Randall don't come back it's going to be tough to be consistently good with no inside presence.

as for the story above the only thing i heard is that the issue had to do with the summer classes and since st. joe's effectively paid for his schooling he really shouldn't be eligible. now the article says above says he offered to repay for those classes so not sure what the deal is. it wouldn't shock me if it was just martelli being vindictive although that would be strange because O'Brien wouldn't get even 2 minutes a game on this team. one part of Phil's deal might be that O'Brien was part of the stolen lap top scandal last year where Pat Swilling jr. was caught stealing a lap top on campus and was asked to leave school - obrien had been suspended for a game for some sort of an involvement in that case. whatever the case martelli and the hawks look totally wrong in this case. i don't get it
  • Options
    Back to life. Back to reality. LOL Explorers! 12th in the nation in 3pt % going into the game and go 2-16. Next 3 are winable but this one should've been as well.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Temple Owls beat the Rice Owls last night.

Yeah pjhawks - the Owls are going to struggle against top notch teams without their big guys. Haven't heard any updates on Scootie or Eric - hope they come back soon.

• Options
    Some national media, Vitale & Seth Davis, are beating up Phil.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Some national media, Vitale & Seth Davis, are beating up Phil.

yup not good pr for Phil or St. Joe's. i totally don't get it from the Hawks perspective. i hope there is a lot more to this than just Phil being a dick, but i have my doubts. Phil comes across as pretty arrogant at times so it definitely makes me wonder about this case. o'brien is not saint for sure but would have signing the waiver would have caused no harm to the hawks.
  • Options
    Shocker!!! Aaric Murray's in trouble.
    http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs. ... 6/33991655
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Nice bounce back win for the Explorers over those pesky CCSU BLue Devils.
    They have to win the next 2 before playing Xavier.

We fight hard, We fight well
    When we fight, we fight like...
    L
    A
    S
    A
    L
    L
    E
    Here we go Explorers Here we go!
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    big win for nova over american last night. :lol:

big win.

bring on the big east.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Heading to Tom Gola Arena tonight for much hyped LaSalle v. BU game. Should be a mad house. :lol:
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    big win for nova over american last night. :lol:

big win.

bring on the big east.

oops maybe not - 0-1 now and headng into top 10 marquette.

hawks overwhelmed morgan state. lots of blocks and dunks. at top 25 harvard on new years eve next then into A10 schedule. 1st 4 in A10 very winnable with 1st one at Duquesne the hardest, then charlotte, fordham and at umass before going to X.

johnny - poor game for temple or was buffalo good? owls pulling out wins even without big guys. now 8-3 right? although i think it's gets tougher soon doesn't it? dont you have duke coming up soon and a tough start to the A-10? and looks like Randall is going to redshirt now which is probably best in long run but sucks for you guys this year. with Eric and Randall this team is a top 25 team with the guards.
  • Options
    that was sarcasm, my friend.

:lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Nice win for the Explorers. Beating a bad team the way your supposed to and nice to see some defensive effort for the 1st time in years. Galloway, Wright and Duren looked good. One more game before X.
    Have a good new year Big 5 people.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Nice win for the Explorers. Beating a bad team the way your supposed to and nice to see some defensive effort for the 1st time in years. Galloway, Wright and Duren looked good. One more game before X.

Explorers definitely much improved this year. Going to be interesting to see how they end up in the A10.

have a great and safe New Year everyone.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

Explorers definitely much improved this year. Going to be interesting to see how they end up in the A10.

have a great and safe New Year everyone.

you too...pretty dreadful sports year in these parts. let's hope for a better one in '12.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Big game for LaSalle v. X tomorrow. X is still reeling from that brawl. Hopefully LaSalle can pull this off. I'd be going but my son has a basketball game as well.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    pjhawks - I didn't make it to the Buffalo game - my little guy had to go back to the hospital (all is well). My buddy said the Owls were dominated down low and the officiating was horrible (not necessarily biased, just bad, like clueless bad).

Owls also just barely beat Delaware. Scootie is probably red shirting. Don't know when Eric is coming back. Yeah, it's not pretty. At least we're only playing Duke tomorrow. :roll:

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,121
    ahhhh forgot the temple/duke game was tonight. Flipping back and forth between that and the sixers game.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    FUCK YEAH!

• Options
    FUCK YEAH!

were you there?

that was pretty awesome. fuck duke.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,121
    great win Temple!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly