The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    M-I-Z-Z-O-U. I really like their chances this year for making the Final Four. Very small team but they all can shoot from the field and the line and never run out of gas. So fun to watch.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    gabers wrote:
    M-I-Z-Z-O-U. I really like their chances this year for making the Final Four. Very small team but they all can shoot from the field and the line and never run out of gas. So fun to watch.

:think:
    www.myspace.com
  • #22 Owls headed to North-er Philly tomorrow and City Ave on Saturday to take the Big 5. HERE WE GO!

WTF - no TV tomorrow? :twisted:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Joe Juliano on a philly.com chat: for LaSalle to make tourney "La Salle has to win out and win the tournament."

I posed the obvious question that, you know, if LaSalle wins the A-10 they will be automatic qualifiers, and the real question is what do they have to do to get an at large, but he didn't get around to my question. Idiot. Thanks Captain Obvious.

And, based on his logic, they don't have to "win out." Just have to win the tourney - doesn't matter what they do rest of regular season.

I can't stand lazy journalists.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Once LaSalle had the 3 game losing streak the at large bid was out the window. Before that streak started I felt they could only lose 2 including the A-10 tourney because their SOS is weak.

LaSalle goes as Duen and Galloway go. Anyway Let's go Explorers! Beat dem Owls! I may take may my son tonight and the last time I took him to TGA for a game V. Temple, LaSalle won.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • JK_Livin wrote:
    Once LaSalle had the 3 game losing streak the at large bid was out the window. Before that streak started I felt they could only lose 2 including the A-10 tourney because their SOS is weak.

LaSalle goes as Duen and Galloway go. Anyway Let's go Explorers! Beat dem Owls! I may take may my son tonight and the last time I took him to TGA for a game V. Temple, LaSalle won.

So all he had to say was "they need to win the A-10 tourney to get into the Dance." Winning out the regular season means nothing as they already have enough wins to get into the A-10 tourney.

Enjoy the game - wish I could watch it. :roll:

How is a Big 5 game not on tv? The A-10 tv contract blows dog.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:

the a10 has a tv contract?
    www.myspace.com
    JK_Livin wrote:

the a10 has a tv contract?

With CBS so it would have to work out a deal with CSN.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    Temple to Big East for all sports as early as next year according to NYT. can't wait for that Temple-SMU hoops game
    pjhawks wrote:
    Temple to Big East for all sports as early as next year according to NYT. can't wait for that Temple-SMU hoops game

nice. i've been advocating adding temple and memphis for a while. looks like both may end up happening.

hopefully nova gets in for football down the road too. this is good news for the big east.
    www.myspace.com
    There will be a SOLD OUT Tom Gola Arena tonight!!!
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • pjhawks wrote:

Some odd matchups but it would still be awesome. It's amazing we got 9,500 for the Duquesne game, but it's hard to sell those seats on a February Wednesday night for St. Bonaventure.
    JK_Livin wrote:

Owls fans invasion? :P (not me, unfortunately)

JK_Livin wrote:

Owls fans invasion? :P (not me, unfortunately)

Probably. I hope they don't trip over the 6 kids in the LaSalle student section. They can bringz the ruckus :lol:
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • I watched the game on some Lasalle website through some illegal free TV site. :lol:

Great game. Before I get to my bitchfest I have to say the Explorers really played great (both games vs. Temple this year). They fought back from being down 9-10 points or so I think 4 times. Pettis is a great player - 33 points! They will probably miss the tourney but they have a really good team.

Ok, so, you have this guy. He's 6'11". Your team has been on a ridiculous roll since he came back from an injury. He is dominating the game, pounding the boards and getting tons of baskets. So, next thing you know, you're up 10 with 4 minutes to go. So... you keep him out? Well, who'd have thought the other team would come back and send the game to overtime? :roll: Dunphy doesn't do in-game management well enough for this team to make a Final Four run, I believe. Dammit.

I believe Eric sat closer to the 10 min mark left in the game. LaSalle prefers the small lineup and actually had to match up with the Owls.

Great game. Always a bridesmaid. Kudos to Temple. I've never seen Eric play before and he's a beast. What year is he? The officials were equally awful. They called carries on Pettis, Dileo, Wyatt. I didn't really see the 1st 2 but Wyatt's was a no brainer. He actually paused for a 1 Mississippi count with his hand under the ball. Ramon Moore was lucky he was even in the game at the end. About a minute or 2 before his T, he committed a foul on Pettis. Upset that a foul wasn't called when he took a shot on his last possession and then a foul was called on him he argued with a ref and said Fuck you to him and then turned his head. The ref walked over near him and gave him a talking to while he pretended to tie his shoe.

The 2 times we had the lead, it was quickly erased by and 11 and 9 point runs. It was a great game and atmosphere. I can't remember being at TGA with a sell out crowd before.

A-10 torney, you're our only hope, and AC here we come.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • JK_Livin wrote:
    I believe Eric sat closer to the 10 min mark left in the game. LaSalle prefers the small lineup and actually had to match up with the Owls.

Great game. Always a bridesmaid. Kudos to Temple. I've never seen Eric play before and he's a beast. What year is he? The officials were equally awful. They called carries on Pettis, Dileo, Wyatt. I didn't really see the 1st 2 but Wyatt's was a no brainer. He actually paused for a 1 Mississippi count with his hand under the ball. Ramon Moore was lucky he was even in the game at the end. About a minute or 2 before his T, he committed a foul on Pettis. Upset that a foul wasn't called when he took a shot on his last possession and then a foul was called on him he argued with a ref and said Fuck you to him and then turned his head. The ref walked over near him and gave him a talking to while he pretended to tie his shoe.

The 2 times we had the lead, it was quickly erased by and 11 and 9 point runs. It was a great game and atmosphere. I can't remember being at TGA with a sell out crowd before.

A-10 torney, you're our only hope, and AC here we come.

Eric is a senior and has made great strides. Sometimes he pulls out big scoring games like last night, and sometimes he can't get the ball in the basket to save his life. But he's played great defense and ruled the glass all year. When Temple was struggling to win every game (including the first LaSalle game) Eric was out with a foot injury.

Explorers have a good team but just don't have that winning experience that seems to help at the end of games. Seemed like Temple picked it up in the first round game last year vs. PSU. 8-)

Temple should be able to make some noise in the NCAA's but it all comes down to match ups. Juan needs to stop looking for every call and just run the offense.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    I watched the game on some Lasalle website through some illegal free TV site. :lol:

Great game. Before I get to my bitchfest I have to say the Explorers really played great (both games vs. Temple this year). They fought back from being down 9-10 points or so I think 4 times. Pettis is a great player - 33 points! They will probably miss the tourney but they have a really good team.

Ok, so, you have this guy. He's 6'11". Your team has been on a ridiculous roll since he came back from an injury. He is dominating the game, pounding the boards and getting tons of baskets. So, next thing you know, you're up 10 with 4 minutes to go. So... you keep him out? Well, who'd have thought the other team would come back and send the game to overtime? :roll: Dunphy doesn't do in-game management well enough for this team to make a Final Four run, I believe. Dammit.

really johnny? ill trade you ahole martelli for dunphy any day of the week. fn ahole martelli loses to fn shitty richmond at home where a win would have setup saturday as a massive tourny bubble game. fucktard. i am so fn pissed as a hawk fan right now. takes some of the steam out of saturday now. now it's on phil don't to get his ass kicked by his buddy again. fan base going to turn on phil real quickly on saturday if things don't go well. :evil:

that being said...the streak(s) end saturday. hawks 68-63
    johnny--thought there would be a little more chatter out of you about all the big east stuff...

not quite a done deal yet but you gotta be pretty stoked. no?
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawks wrote:
    really johnny? ill trade you ahole martelli for dunphy any day of the week.

Yeah, sometimes I just get frustrated with his in-game management. He routinely lets the other team go on runs way too long never taking a timeout. I must be a Philly fan, bitching about my team's coach during an 11 game winning streak. :lol:
    johnny--thought there would be a little more chatter out of you about all the big east stuff...

Yeah I'm stoked but trying not to get too excited in case it doesn't happen. The season tickets will get a lot more exciting. 8-) I did post about it I think.

Apparently this one recruit is going to Temple IF they get into the Big East. Savon Goodman - 4 stars! :o

pjhawks wrote:
    really johnny? ill trade you ahole martelli for dunphy any day of the week.

Yeah, sometimes I just get frustrated with his in-game management. He routinely lets the other team go on runs way too long never taking a timeout. I must be a Philly fan, bitching about my team's coach during an 11 game winning streak. :lol:

Yeah I'm stoked but trying not to get too excited in case it doesn't happen. The season tickets will get a lot more exciting. 8-) I did post about it I think.

Apparently this one recruit is going to Temple IF they get into the Big East. Savon Goodman - 4 stars! :o

Goodman originally committed to Nova but backed out of commitment but have heard rumors that nova shied away from him. i believe because of academics but not 100% sure. Nova-Temple rivalry will get uglier if in the same league. going to be interesting to see how the football-basketball factions in the big east play out down the line.
    goodman's an all american. when he decommitted, it looked like he was headed to ucla. i'm surprised he hasn't committed to anyone yet. that would be a solid pick up for temple. because of the academic issue i thought he was gonna get pushed back to the '13 class? maybe that's not the case anymore.

yeah nova has 2 local guys for next year: ochefu and arciadanco (not sure on spelling). both all americans. goodman and this jefferson kid were originally gonna complete the philly 4 class. now with goodman out, it seems jefferson's a long shot to come to nova. think i saw nc state
    www.myspace.com
    goodman's an all american. when he decommitted, it looked like he was headed to ucla. i'm surprised he hasn't committed to anyone yet. that would be a solid pick up for temple. because of the academic issue i thought he was gonna get pushed back to the '13 class? maybe that's not the case anymore.

yeah nova has 2 local guys for next year: ochefu and arciadanco (not sure on spelling). both all americans. goodman and this jefferson kid were originally gonna complete the philly 4 class. now with goodman out, it seems jefferson's a long shot to come to nova. think i saw nc state

you do know Archiadicano (no clue how to spell it) hasn't played at all this year due to injury right?

i didn't hear that about Goodman getting pushed back to '13. that's interesting if so. i had heard ucla originally as well but haven't heard anything at all until i saw it yesterday about him and Temple. UCLA is a disaster area right now so maybe he had some 2nd thoughts on that. Howland ould be on his way out there if they don't turn it around next year.

jefferson says nc state or duke but his brother is at temple and they are still involved. if they get a big east invite maybe he changes to temple as well. dunph already has dalton pepper sitting out this year after playing at west virginia. with a big east invite he might be building a monster at temple.
    damn it...i forgot that dude is hurt. back problem too. that's not good.
    www.myspace.com
    Johnny:
    I believe...
    I believe that we're alive
    i believe that we're alive
    the Hawk will never Die.

great chant by the Hawks students saturday in response to Temple's funeral last year and Temple students chanting their stolen from Utah St. I believe we will win chant.

Hawks played with passion and energy that has been missing at times this year, including last wednesday against Richmond. great win for the Hawks ending the owls winning streaks. was a fun night in Hagan. puts Hawks as one of Lunardi's last 4 in. Long way to go though. One more A10 game at the Bonnies wednesday night which is a must win for a bye in the tourny for the Hawks and to keep ncca hopes alive. still think we are only a decent shot at getting an at-large bid but at least we have moved into the conversation.

got a feeling the hawks and owls might be seeing in each other in the semi-finals in AC. that would be wild
  • pjhawks wrote:
    Johnny:
    I believe...
    I believe that we're alive
    the Hawk will never Die.

great chant by the Hawks students saturday in response to Temple's funeral last year and Temple students chanting their stolen from Utah St. I believe we will win chant.

Hawks played with passion and energy that has been missing at times this year, including last wednesday against Richmond. great win for the Hawks ending the owls winning streaks. was a fun night in Hagan. puts Hawks as one of Lunardi's last 4 in. Long way to go though. One more A10 game at the Bonnies wednesday night which is a must win for a bye in the tourny for the Hawks and to keep ncca hopes alive. still think we are only a decent shot at getting an at-large bid but at least we have moved into the conversation.

got a feeling the hawks and owls might be seeing in each other in the semi-finals in AC. that would be wild

Good win for you guys - nice that you stayed on the bubble. ;)

You guys shot 3-pointers great, and got plenty of help from obviously biased officiating. The one foul on Fernandez (his 4th) he never touched the guy. That said the Hawks definitely played a great game and clearly enjoy a nice home court advantage in that place.

Ramon Moore was supposed to straighten up after nearly costing us the LaSalle game with a ridiculous technical foul, and quite the contrary made some real boneheaded plays like the absurd foul on the breakaway to give up a 3-point play. He needs to get it together.

I was really hurt by the "Overrated" and "Na na good bye" chants. Really original. :lol:

Stole from Utah St? All SJU can do is steal from teams in their own city. And 'I believe the Hawk is Dead" is purely a Temple creation I am sure.

Think this game will help the Owls in the long run by getting them refocused for the A-10 & NCAA tourneys. It was a good week of Big 5 games.

• So WTF - Owls go 5-1 in the Big 5 but have 3 of the 4 "city series" games on the road, lose one of them, and have to split the Big 5 Championship? Buncha shit.

It seems that most of the Big 5 is playing well minus Nova and my Explorers. Horrible loss on Saturday to Fordham. Dr. G's in game and crunch time coaching leave a lot to be desired. He's a great talker to get some decent talent in but he shit's the bed late in games. Sooner or later you have to win a close game v. a good team. At Pitt, Nova, St. Joe's and v. Temple and St. Louis at home were all winable games. Need lightning in a bottle in AC. My idiot friends and I will be in AC, at least give us a game to watch.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • JK_Livin wrote:
    It seems that most of the Big 5 is playing well minus Nova and my Explorers. Horrible loss on Saturday to Fordham. Dr. G's in game and crunch time coaching leave a lot to be desired. He's a great talker to get some decent talent in but he shit's the bed late in games. Sooner or later you have to win a close game v. a good team. At Pitt, Nova, St. Joe's and v. Temple and St. Louis at home were all winable games. Need lightning in a bottle in AC. My idiot friends and I will be in AC, at least give us a game to watch.

Don't know what happened to your team. Lost to Fordham? :? Lasalle played 2 great games against the Owls.