Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,607
    I'm still gutted from that game. We had our chances and made a series of stupid plays in the 1st OT. 2nd OT was hopeless. But it was a great comeback to get the game to OT in the first place. Great coaching job by Dunph to slow it down end of the 1st half, because the game was slipping away really fast.

Pretty good season. The injuries were pretty tough for a team that wasn't very deep to begin with. Freshman F Anthony Lee missed the whole season too. Guess he'll be a redshirt. I think the future looks bright on N. Broad. 8-)

College b-ball offseason is really long - 8 months 'til the next game.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,361
    edited March 2011
    I'm still gutted from that game. We had our chances and made a series of stupid plays in the 1st OT. 2nd OT was hopeless. But it was a great comeback to get the game to OT in the first place. Great coaching job by Dunph to slow it down end of the 1st half, because the game was slipping away really fast.

Pretty good season. The injuries were pretty tough for a team that wasn't very deep to begin with. Freshman F Anthony Lee missed the whole season too. Guess he'll be a redshirt. I think the future looks bright on N. Broad. 8-)

College b-ball offseason is really long - 8 months 'til the next game.

tough one man. our dj had sling box on his phone so we got to see bits and pieces at our reception. a lot of unhappy owl and pitt panther fans there. oh well. as a fan of the big 5 as a whole and not just one team, it's a shame nobody made it to the 2nd weekend again. always next year.

regarding nova, like i said it was as disapointing a finish as i can remember. they obviously didn't stink (while saying they "stink" pjh also agreed with fixer as them being a 5 seed back in january--nobody thought they'd drop as far as they did). they just did not play anywhere near their talent level over the last few weeks. that's the most frustrating thing. can't be in sweet 16's and elite 8's every year. look at unc. they were in the nit last year, elite 8 this year.

i'm excited about next year though. plus nova's got 2 stud recruiting classes lined up after that. they just signed the 15th best recruit in the country (daniel ochefu) out of the 2012 class (sorry johnny, temple was one of his other finalists ;) ). supposedly he's a greg monroe-ish type of player who nova sorely needs.

next year they got this highly touted freshman, tyrone johnson, who should start right away in the back court with wayns (assuming he stays which i think he will--he'll probably test the waters like scottie did and then come back for at least another year. liked his play down the stretch. he should be even better without having to share point duties with fischer again).....front court probably will be pinkston (cannot wait to see what this kid can finally do), armwood (or cheek--my guess is armwood for some size) and mouph with taj bell and cheek garning a lot of minutes off the bench. hopefull sutton transfers. beat it mo.

gonna be interesting. feels like a fresh start. looking forward to it. future's still bright. getting ochefu was a shot in the arm after these last few weeks.

go cats!
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    i'm excited about next year though. plus nova's got 2 stud recruiting classes lined up after that. they just signed the 15th best recruit in the country (daniel ochefu) out of the 2012 class (sorry johnny, temple was one of his other finalists ;) ). supposedly he's a greg monroe-ish type of player who nova sorely needs.

I know we lost Ochefu to you guys. Dammit.

Congrats!!! How was the honeymoon?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options

I know we lost Ochefu to you guys. Dammit.

Congrats!!! How was the honeymoon?

i was so happy to hear nova got him. all the talk after the horrid way the season ended was about recruits going to de-commit and stuff....then boom, this guy signs and the future gets a lil brighter on thee main line again.

honeymoon was a great time. it's true what everyone says about the wedding/hmoon and how it goes by so quickly. can't believe it's all over and i'm sitting here while its fucking 40 degrees outside.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,240
    Johnny - looks like you guys are getting Dalton Pepper tranferring in from West Virgnia. should be a good get for you guys. good fit for after next year when Moore and Fernandez are gone.

Jaegs - did you see the story on espn.com college hoops about Will Sheridan? pretty good story about him being gay and how his teammates at Nova knew and accepted him and never made an issue out of it. pretty good story if you get a chance to read it.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    Johnny - looks like you guys are getting Dalton Pepper tranferring in from West Virgnia. should be a good get for you guys. good fit for after next year when Moore and Fernandez are gone.

Jaegs - did you see the story on espn.com college hoops about Will Sheridan? pretty good story about him being gay and how his teammates at Nova knew and accepted him and never made an issue out of it. pretty good story if you get a chance to read it.

yeah. just shows the quality of character that squad had back then.

funny how jay wright didn''t know till sheridan introduced him to his partner at an alumni thing a few years ago.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

Cool - I don't really know anything about him - I'll have to check it out.

I changed the thread name. ;)

• Options
    pjhawks wrote:

Cool - I don't really know anything about him - I'll have to check it out.

I changed the thread name. ;)

local guy went to Pennsbury High same as Lavoy Allen (white dude though). was a soph. at Pennsbury when Allen was a Sr. Big guard, should do really well in the A10. Very good pickup.
  • Options
    and he's a white guy!

i predict he transfers out of temple in a year johnny :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    pjhawks wrote:

nova player gay. that's not news

love that nova got rejected by big east football.
  • Options
    and he's a white guy!

i predict he transfers out of temple in a year johnny :lol:

HEY!!! TJ DiLeo loves it there. 8-)

Here's our new logo:

200px_Snowy_Owl_1.jpg

• Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

...umm, no they didn't. :? the issue is the seating capacity at that union stadium. and there's no place to build something new in radnor.

they're also thinking about only expanding to 10 teams. if they do that, nova's probably out. if they go to 12, they might be in, if the stadium thing gets resolved.

but it's not like nova is dying to get into the football conference though. they've dragged their feet deciding whether they want to do it or not for quite a while now.

i think june 1st is the new deadline...but that's changed like 10 times already
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

...umm, no they didn't. :? the issue is the seating capacity at that union stadium. and there's no place to build something new in radnor.

they're also thinking about only expanding to 10 teams. if they do that, nova's probably out. if they go to 12, they might be in, if the stadium thing gets resolved.

but it's not like nova is dying to get into the football conference though. they've dragged their feet deciding whether they want to do it or not for quite a while now.

exactly. the ADs in the conference knew that nova wouldn't be able to generate enough income for the conference because their stadium isn't big enough. so they were denied admission to the conference.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

exactly. the ADs in the conference knew that nova wouldn't be able to generate enough income for the conference because their stadium isn't big enough. so they were denied admission to the conference.

haha...did you read what i wrote? i am telling you that a decision has not been made yet. they might be in. they might be out. nobody knows right now. :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

haha...did you read what i wrote? i am telling you that a decision has not been made yet. they might be in. they might be out. nobody knows right now. :lol:

Jaegs he doesn't respond to what you wrote, he likes to respond to what he thinks you wrote. accuracy is not real big with him.

anyway the latest i've heard and seen about this is that there has been some playback from the basketball schools in favor of Nova in the sense that they do not want anyone else added before Nova. If football is going to expand further the basketball schools want it to be Nova or no one. the football schools still want to add a few more but without the basketball schools approval they don't have enough votes to expand further. if i had to take odds on this now i'd say its 80-20 against them moving up. too many hurdles at this point to make it viable i think. also word from the nova message board is that the school president has never been keen on moving up and will now use the big east hesitation as an excuse to end the process come june 1st (yes that is the next date i've heard).
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

Jaegs he doesn't respond to what you wrote, he likes to respond to what he thinks you wrote. accuracy is not real big with him.

anyway the latest i've heard and seen about this is that there has been some playback from the basketball schools in favor of Nova in the sense that they do not want anyone else added before Nova. If football is going to expand further the basketball schools want it to be Nova or no one. the football schools still want to add a few more but without the basketball schools approval they don't have enough votes to expand further. if i had to take odds on this now i'd say its 80-20 against them moving up. too many hurdles at this point to make it viable i think. also word from the nova message board is that the school president has never been keen on moving up and will now use the big east hesitation as an excuse to end the process come june 1st (yes that is the next date i've heard).

ha--i knew you lurked on those boards :mrgreen:

yeah no slam dunk. funny thing is if nova didn't drag their feet it seems they could have just said yes months ago and the would be in. i was reading they are more ready now to move forward but the big east is having 2nd thoughts. apparently they offered a spot to byu and they turned them down. who knows? seems like a mess and they're being so secretive about it.

hopefully we find out soon.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    BYU? In the Big East? Wait, what?

Whatever, tell me when Temple hoops joins the Big East.

• Options
    pjhawks wrote:

yeah no slam dunk. funny thing is if nova didn't drag their feet it seems they could have just said yes months ago and the would be in. i was reading they are more ready now to move forward but the big east is having 2nd thoughts. apparently they offered a spot to byu and they turned them down. who knows? seems like a mess and they're being so secretive about it.

their 'benchwarmers' board on rivals.com is one the funniest most entertaining boards i've even been on. they do these post-a-pic things and it is just hilarous. they get away with more stuff on their board than any other board i've ever seen - lots of stuff that isn't nova related or sometimes sports related. just good stuff if you want a chuckle once in a while. and i just love to talk college hoops. i don't do much trash talking there like i did with you - they are negative enough themselves.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

their 'benchwarmers' board on rivals.com is one the funniest most entertaining boards i've even been on. they do these post-a-pic things and it is just hilarous. they get away with more stuff on their board than any other board i've ever seen - lots of stuff that isn't nova related or sometimes sports related. just good stuff if you want a chuckle once in a while. and i just love to talk college hoops. i don't do much trash talking there like i did with you - they are negative enough themselves.

yeah i look at that one from time to time along with a few others.

this is the only board thing i ever post on though.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011

read an article today that said they may be in the mix now...

edit-- i meant in the mix for football...and the article was written by a tu alum.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Shouldn't Big East teams be east of the Mississippi? Let alone east of the Rockies. :roll:

• Options

Shouldn't Big East teams be east of the Mississippi? Let alone east of the Rockies. :roll:

seriously. tcu? that's just stupid.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

they aint getting in. their stadium isn't big enough. so they will stay in the CAA and kick towson's ass every year
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

they aint getting in. their stadium isn't big enough. so they will stay in the CAA and kick towson's ass every year

that's some quality insight fixer :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

it's gonna be central florida. you know, since they can offer a real sized school and a stadium that seats more than 20,000 (and also doesn't involve an MLS team).

nova has no shot. the CAA might be better than the big east anyway
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

it's gonna be central florida. you know, since they can offer a real sized school and a stadium that seats more than 20,000 (and also doesn't involve an MLS team).

nova has no shot. the CAA might be better than the big east anyway

what? dude. did you read anything pjhawks and i posted about this?

nova would be in right now if they accepted the big east's offer last year. instead they spent the last 9 months hemming and hawing and now a couple big east schools (pitt and wvu most likely) are having 2nd thoughts.

we've both said nova is a long shot at this point. you seemed to think a decision was already made. it hasn't. this has been going on for quite a while now (well before someone bumped this thread). welcome to the story though :lol:

edit--and again, no idea if you've read anything about this (certainly doesn't seem like it) other than one or two posts in a pearl jam message board but the plan is to play at ppl stadium which is expected to expand to 30,000 seats soon.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    nova was denied admission right?

of course I didn't read what pjhawks quoted. his posts are worse than 610 or espn
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

of course I didn't read what pjhawks quoted. his posts are worse than 610 or espn

no. they were offered a spot and took too long to make a decision. now they are in limbo.

and it's a college hoops thread. you've told him to stick to this sport. should read what he's said on this topic. i don't think you know what you're talking about, no offense.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

no. they were offered a spot and took too long to make a decision. now they are in limbo.

and it's a college hoops thread. you've told him to stick to this sport. should read what he's said on this topic. i don't think you know what you're talking about, no offense.

all I know is that the other ADs don't want nova in the football conference. that's what the topic was and that's what I have commented on.

so they took too long to make a decision...then what happened? um, they were denied admission.

central florida is the better fit from what I've read. nova is a tiny little rich kid school...not condusive to a major football conference
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

all I know is that the other ADs don't want nova in the football conference. that's what the topic was and that's what I have commented on.

so they took too long to make a decision...then what happened? um, they were denied admission.

central florida is the better fit from what I've read. nova is a tiny little rich kid school...not condusive to a major football conference

you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. i'd be willing to bet you would have no idea about this whole thing if this thread wasn't bumped. :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg