Options

The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,361
    The Fixer wrote:
    rooting for your hometown school is desperate? how could that possibly be? :? love to hear the explanation. :D

your poor kid, destined to root for towsen for at least 18 years...oh and going to college a couple blocks from where i went to high school didn't sound like too great of an idea for an 18 year old juggler. :lol:

it's pretty funny how you knocked me for the fraud stuff before (multiple times actually) but according to your angry rants in here lately it's quite obvious you take it waay more serious than i do. rather than let your irrationality further deteriortate this fine thread, take your viewpoints to the fraud thread and let the people decide:
    http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic ... &start=405 ...though i think we know the answer.

I grew up 15 minutes outside of philly. once I enrolled in a college any loyalties I had to other schools went out the window. ya know, since I realized how dumb it was to root for a school I didn't attend or have any affiliation with. and yeah, I have called you out for jumping on the flyers bandwagon when they reached the final last year.

so you wanted to go away to a state school rather than attend a pseduo ivy league school (according to nova alums)? interesting choice

My kids will be fans of the university that they choose to attend.

funny you have a thread dedicated to fandom. I don't like eskin-isms so I choose not to open that one up. I just imagine it's you making fun of people for not following the same rules that you ignore (like the flyers bandwagon hopping you're guilty of). sounds like a great thread, but no thanks, I'll pass

Signed,

towson fan (and not coincidentally, alum)

"eskin-ism?" remember you saying this just a few pages back?
    The Fixer wrote:
    nova students/alums are bad enough. don't need frauds that didn't go there making noise. I bet you're a duke or unc fan too
    (woops)

listen man, the world is not as black and white as the one you live in dude, as we've seen here tonight and in the fraud thread. your belief that one can only root for a school that he/she went to eliminates half this country from having a college rooting interest. care to expound on those poor people?

i'm guessing a nova student/grad or fan once either stole your girl, your lunch money, or a job you interviewed for. i highly doubt you'd drag this on for as long as you have if my squad was drexel or something. :lol:

and again--seeing as how you are on the "extreme" side of this, it's quite hilarious that you take this way more serious than i do after ripping me for the same thing on multiple occasions. par for the course i guess ;)
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    I rooted for Miami football when I was a kid and have continued to this day, even after going to Temple. Guess I'm a fraud.

See, here's my question. Why?

Miami is another rich kid school

Uh huh. That's why I didn't go there. :lol:

ha...i now fully expect fixer to start hounding you...for as long as this thread is continued. :roll: :lol: jesus christ. that dude doesn't let shit go. :roll:

but u of m for football, yeah that's fraudulent. :lol: one of my best friends became a fan of theirs for no other reason he thought that team with jimmy johnson/jerome brown etc etc etc was cool back in the 80's. we go back and forth on the fraud stuff all the time. then again he went to bloom with me, but is a temple basketball fan cuz his dad's an alum. so then we got a nice nova/temple rivalry there.

this shit's fun. :) no need for all the irrational hate we've seen in here lately. i don't understand that...oh well.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I see both sides to this argument. Agreed that for the most part that you should have some connection to a school to be a fan but I don't think that connection has to be graduating from the school. I grew up in a pretty bizarre college sports house being from a big penn state family living in upstate new york. I grew up as a penn state/syracuse fan, which doesn't make much sense but we went to Penn State games on a regular basis and the entire region is insane about Syracuse. It is what it is I guess and it just kind of happened. When my school St. Rose played Syracuse in preseason basketball a few years back, I was obviously cheering for my school, but that happens once a year in exhibition, at most.

Also when Binghamton University, where I grew up and both parents were professors at was in the tourney, I was obviously cheering for them.

I don't think you should randomly pick a team (cough, Notre Dame, cough) but I don't think it is strictly based on where you graduated from.

Edit: And I didn't go to Penn State or Syracuse because of soccer. I wasn't recruited very much by them so I couldn't go, at least without paying my own way which wouldn't have made sense having full scholarships in hand..

agree 100%. gray areas when it comes to college rooting interests are all over the place.

my school, the mighty huskies of bloomsburg, play nova in exhibition games for basketball every once in a while. i root for bloom even though they don't have a chance in hell. :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

i'm guessing a nova student/grad or fan once either stole your girl, your lunch money, or a job you interviewed for. i highly doubt you'd drag this on for as long as you have if my squad was drexel or something. :lol:

and again--seeing as how you are on the "extreme" side of this, it's quite hilarious that you take this way more serious than i do after ripping me for the same thing on multiple occasions. par for the course i guess ;)

not at all. actually my hatred was bred from attending weddings/parties/get togethers with my wife's friends from the main line area. most of her good friends are cool, but there are some of them that I really don't care for. A lot of them are nova grads (oddly they had no qualms about attending a school near where they grew up :? ).

anyway, you can root for whoever you want. I could give two fucks. I just couldn't pull for a school I'm not affiliated with and pretend like I went there.

as for the drexel thing. that would be the same thing. drexel is a solid school, but it's not cheap either.

I'll leave you and nova alone now. I have obviously touched a nerve. You obviously don't handle rejection well...your scars are still showing
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

not at all. actually my hatred was bred from attending weddings/parties/get togethers with my wife's friends from the main line area. most of her good friends are cool, but there are some of them that I really don't care for. A lot of them are nova grads (oddly they had no qualms about attending a school near where they grew up :? ).

anyway, you can root for whoever you want. I could give two fucks. I just couldn't pull for a school I'm not affiliated with and pretend like I went there.

as for the drexel thing. that would be the same thing. drexel is a solid school, but it's not cheap either.

I'll leave you and nova alone now. I have obviously touched a nerve. You obviously don't handle rejection well...your scars are still showing

cool. where did the friends of your wife go to high school? i might know them. i think about 80% of nova student are from out of the state though (quick google search confirmed :mrgreen: ). so the vast majority of them probably did have some "qualms" with going to school in their parent's back yard :? . hey you went to school almost a couple hours away like i did. you get it! from radnor, i can't think of anyone who went to nova off the top of my head. your wife's friends must be unique. everyone is different though.

you certainly sound like you give a lot more than two fucks judging by the majority of your posts directed at me in this whole thread. it's just a little weird is all...

drexel...again with the money thing? :? not sure what that has to do with who someone roots for.

best i can tell your hatred of nova stems from jealousy issues. you always bring up the money thing. maybe there's something to that...

would be nice to hear your answer about who the 150,000,000 people in this country that didn't go to college can root for though. just high school sports and pro sports for them. :x :lol: :roll:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,241
    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phil ... -time.html

Hawks playing Nova and Temple at Hagan arena this year. just a way to keep people from dropping their season tickets and donations this year. don't have a problem playing Temple at Hagan but think Nova should be at the Palestra. Nova at Hagan is going to be out of control.

jaegs - did you see where Armwood left Nova and their top recruit Savon Goodman has de-committed?
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phillyhoops/Holy-War-to-be-played-on-St-Joes-campus-for-first-time.html

Hawks playing Nova and Temple at Hagan arena this year. just a way to keep people from dropping their season tickets and donations this year. don't have a problem playing Temple at Hagan but think Nova should be at the Palestra. Nova at Hagan is going to be out of control.

jaegs - did you see where Armwood left Nova and their top recruit Savon Goodman has de-committed?

yeah i think armwood went to gw. sitting out a year. bigger fish, smaller pond for him i guess.

i think goodman is thinking about going to ucla...though he may still end up at nova. lot of other changes happening for him too as he's switching high schools this year.

turns out i'm not headed down tomorrow night johnny. with any luck i'll be at the basketball game in a few months though...wow, cbb is getting closer :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,612
    turns out i'm not headed down tomorrow night johnny. with any luck i'll be at the basketball game in a few months though...wow, cbb is getting closer :mrgreen:

I don't think I'm gonna make it. Work is a bitch this week. :twisted:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    scooped up nova/temple tix today. i assume you're going johnny?

6 of us headed down. 3 nova fans. 3 temple fans. should be interesting
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

We're at home this year, right? Of course I'll be there! Where you sitting? You know where I am. ;)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options

We're at home this year, right? Of course I'll be there! Where you sitting? You know where I am. ;)

yeah. all my friend said was 2nd level, mid court...about the same seats we had for the midnight game 7 or 8 years ago. i think i was blacked out by the time that game started. :lol:

really can't wait for college hoops to get underway
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

yeah. all my friend said was 2nd level, mid court...about the same seats we had for the midnight game 7 or 8 years ago. i think i was blacked out by the time that game started. :lol:

Yea I'm excited. Owls ticket pickup party next Monday. :D

Oh by the way - I hope the whole fucking Big East falls the fuck apart - assholes. Houston & SMU? Seriously? What a bunch of buffoons.

• Options

Yea I'm excited. Owls ticket pickup party next Monday. :D

Oh by the way - I hope the whole fucking Big East falls the fuck apart - assholes. Houston & SMU? Seriously? What a bunch of buffoons.

its college football and the bcs. if football had a fucking playoff system nobody would have to transfer to a better bcs football conference.

i was hoping they would add temple and memphis actually. they seemed to make the most sense. this whole thing is really upsetting. just want the season to start so the focus is back on the games...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,621

Jan 11th. Be there.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Jan 11th. Be there.

for what?

• Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Jan 11th. Be there.

for what?

the orangmen's big east swan song?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

sad isn't it? Syracuse was always the epitome of the Big East for me. 30,000 fans in the Carrier Dome each night. so many fun teams they had going back to Pearl Washington then then sherman douglas-derrick coleman-rony seikaly teams, stevie thompson, lawrence moten, then melo and hakim warrick. when they were good their style of play and that darn dome was awesome to watch. i don't know just something about Syracuse to me always said Big East. can't you just wait for that South Florida-SMU Big Monday game? all this BCS bullshit is just nauseating.

Temple-Nova should be wild this year with the underlying nova kept temple out of big east expansion talks.
  • Options

Absolutely. Those games are a blast.

Between Nova and the MSG, the switch is going to blow for me being able to see them play in person. Although my mom is in NC now.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

sad isn't it? Syracuse was always the epitome of the Big East for me. 30,000 fans in the Carrier Dome each night. so many fun teams they had going back to Pearl Washington then then sherman douglas-derrick coleman-rony seikaly teams, stevie thompson, lawrence moten, then melo and hakim warrick. when they were good their style of play and that darn dome was awesome to watch. i don't know just something about Syracuse to me always said Big East. can't you just wait for that South Florida-SMU Big Monday game? all this BCS bullshit is just nauseating.

Temple-Nova should be wild this year with the underlying nova kept temple out of big east expansion talks.

I agree man. I am not a huge fan of the move. I can't imagine them not playing in the big east tourney in the Garden. Some of the most fun sporting events I have ever been too. There aren't many things like it.
  • Options
    You have to wonder if Temple really wants to be in the Big East considering there's not much left of it. Still beats the A-10 I guess. College sports is just disgusting. It's a shame, because the products on the field/court are really good - the guys play their fucking asses off, which is a lot more than you can say about the NBA.

• Options
    You have to wonder if Temple really wants to be in the Big East considering there's not much left of it. Still beats the A-10 I guess. College sports is just disgusting. It's a shame, because the products on the field/court are really good - the guys play their fucking asses off, which is a lot more than you can say about the NBA.

it's still a decent conference man...at least for the time being. but if my scenario of temple and memphis both came aboard, it could have been great. oh well...fuck the bcs
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Owls pulled out an OT win at Penn last night. Scootie is injured - not sure when he's coming back. Wyatt was suspended for last night's game. This team will probably start slow and get raked by the tourney committee later on for it.

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,047
    is the Nova/LaSalle game on tv? I can't find it :(
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

found it online.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options

found it online.

Nova's not looking so good against LaSalle
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options

found it online.

Nova's not looking so good against LaSalle

buncha young bucks out there man. exciting game. wish i could have seen it...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    turned out to be a great game. :thumbup: Thought LaSalle might pull off the upset but Nova pulled away in OT
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Johnny - how about those ridiculous calls against Temple against Purdue? just awful. would have been a good game to win. Any concerns about Eric being the only size for the Owls?

Hawks much improved this year. tough loss against Seton Hall but finally again have 7 quality D1 players. Think this team is going to end up being pretty good by the end of the year. talented but young.

LaSalle and Penn much improved this year as well.

as usual f nova. nova is going to have to win with defense because they can't shoot a lick outside 15 feet. LaSalle should have had them but they flat out choked that one up.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    Johnny - how about those ridiculous calls against Temple against Purdue? just awful. would have been a good game to win. Any concerns about Eric being the only size for the Owls?

Hawks much improved this year. tough loss against Seton Hall but finally again have 7 quality D1 players. Think this team is going to end up being pretty good by the end of the year. talented but young.

as usual f nova. nova is going to have to win with defense because they can't shoot a lick outside 15 feet. LaSalle should have had them but they flat out choked that one up.

f nova... :lol: you bastard.

how much better do you think st joes can be? do you think the they have an outside shot at the tourney? i haven't had time to focus on anyone other than nova up to this point.

can't wait for temple/nova...only a few weeks out :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

f nova... :lol: you bastard.

how much better do you think st joes can be? do you think the they have an outside shot at the tourney? i haven't had time to focus on anyone other than nova up to this point.

can't wait for temple/nova...only a few weeks out :mrgreen:

i think they are a year away from competing for an at-large bid. i think they will lose too many games in the non-conference to get enough for that but i think they are going to finish around 4th in the A10 and hopefully have a chance at making a run in the A10 tourny. i think clearly temple and xavier are better than them in the A10 but after that it's pretty wide open for the next few spots. i see them winning around 18 or 19 this year.