Options

2010-11 NBA Season

Comments

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Baron Davis and a first round pick to the Cavs for Mo Williams

that's a head scratcher. straight up it makes some sense...but for the clippers to toss in a first round pick :?:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,324
    81 wrote:
    Baron Davis and a first round pick to the Cavs for Mo Williams

that's a head scratcher. straight up it makes some sense...but for the clippers to toss in a first round pick :?:

hollinger:
    Cleveland: A-

I've always wondered what the cash price of a lottery pick was. In this case, it seems to be about $12 million -- the difference in what's owed over the next two years between Davis and Williams. Cleveland effectively paid the Clippers that amount for their first-round pick, which is completely unprotected in the 2011 draft and could end up being first. In fact, it's possible the Cavs will have the first two picks in the draft, which certainly could accelerate the post-LeBron rebuilding. Give a tip of the hat to Cavs owner Dan Gilbert for agreeing to use his checkbook to speed up the process.

In the short term, this trade may make Cleveland even worse. Although Davis is the more talented of the two players, Williams played fairly hard for a miserable Cleveland team, and nobody expects Davis to do the same, especially because he's reunited with coach Byron Scott. (The two clashed in New Orleans.) Look for Cleveland to deal him again at the first available opportunity.

Capwise, however, the Cavs' logic is airtight. Cleveland wasn't going to have cap space in the summer of 2011 no matter what; and even with Davis' fat contract on the books, it'll still have plenty of space in the summer of 2012.

L.A. Clippers: C+

Take our point guard ... please. The Clippers wanted to be out from under the weight of Davis' contract so badly that they gave away their lottery pick in this year's draft.

I'm not crazy about this tactic, but I should point out that this move isn't just run-of-the-mill Clippers cheapness. The strategic part is that the trade cuts just enough salary to make the Clips something of a player in this summer's free-agent market. They won't have enough space for a max deal but could easily make a play for L.A. native Tayshaun Prince or one of several other promising free-agent small forwards -- the one position that's holding the Clips back at the moment.

Additionally, Williams is likely a much better complement to Blake Griffin than Davis was because of his sweet outside shot. The Clips now have two deadly outside shooters at the guard positions in Williams and Eric Gordon, and with Griffin's potent passing ability, they've set themselves up to be extremely difficult to defend in the half court.

Jamario Moon is also in the deal and has an expiring contract; I expect the Clips to let him walk and pursue better options in free agency
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i completly agree with the assement of the deal, however, i would be a little hesitent to not put a protection on that lotto pick. right now it would be number 8 in what they are saying is a weak draft, but what happens if it goes to number 1 or 2 or even 3. toss in a second round pick and protect that first rounder.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    i completly agree with the assement of the deal, however, i would be a little hesitent to not put a protection on that lotto pick. right now it would be number 8 in what they are saying is a weak draft, but what happens if it goes to number 1 or 2 or even 3. toss in a second round pick and protect that first rounder.

concur.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The Boston Celtics have reached an agreement in principle to trade Kendrick Perkins(notes) to the Oklahoma City Thunder for forward Jeff Green(notes) and center Nenad Krstic(notes), league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

not sure i understand this trade
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,383
    81 wrote:
    The Boston Celtics have reached an agreement in principle to trade Kendrick Perkins(notes) to the Oklahoma City Thunder for forward Jeff Green(notes) and center Nenad Krstic(notes), league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

not sure i understand this trade

I'm not as confidant about Boston walking through the east now. THey let go of one of the best big defenders in the league. That's torture come playoff time.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • Options
    looks like robinson was included in the boston deal along with perkins.

i guess they believe in shaq and big baby
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Don't forget about Jermaine :lol:

I really like it for OKC though. Just what they needed.
    But I still hope they lose every game they ever play.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • Options
    loadedgun wrote:

not sure why they gave up green. i thought he was suppose to be part of the core. guess not.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    loadedgun wrote:

not sure why they gave up green. i thought he was suppose to be part of the core. guess not.

I think it may be a contract year for Perkins. If they can resign him, they would have a great team for the future. I heard Green was gonna demand too much money on the market during FA. Risk for both teams.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • Options
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_d ... nba-326449

things getting interesting up Detroit. 5 players called in sick. uh oh
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:

Come on. If you didn't get traded, and still had to play on that crappy team, wouldn't you rather stay home?
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • Options
    no, i'd show up to work.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:

that article is factually incorrect.

it is approaching 60 degrees in philadelphia today. far from freezing.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    The Celtics will be fine once the new players especially Jeff Green whom I watched while he played at Georgetown.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Great article on the current player movements in the NBA....

NBA Players Are Wrecking Their League

jpeg

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Its a shame we are going to miss next season.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    g under p wrote:

jpeg

Peace
    That really was a great article. Sums up the problems with the NBA perfectly.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    g under p wrote:

jpeg

Peace
    "As a player, you have to do what's best for you," Wade told reporters in reaction to the Carmelo trade to New York. "You can't think about what someone's going to feel or think on the outside. You have to do what's best for you, and that's what some players are doing. I'm happy for those players that felt that they wanted to be somewhere and they got their wish."

i really, REALLY hope he blows out a knee, makes some bad investments and will be 35 years old without an education or a pot to piss in...i would love to see him and some of the others homeless and begging for change
    Tying a significant percentage of player compensation to wins and losses is the solution, along with financial incentives for players to stay in college and pursue an actual education while there.

good idea...if we lived in fantasyland

and as much as i love the nba, i hope it shuts down for a few years so these assholes no longer get their 'me me me' paychecks...it would be interesting to see if any of them can actually hold a real job
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    g under p wrote:

jpeg

Peace
    "As a player, you have to do what's best for you," Wade told reporters in reaction to the Carmelo trade to New York. "You can't think about what someone's going to feel or think on the outside. You have to do what's best for you, and that's what some players are doing. I'm happy for those players that felt that they wanted to be somewhere and they got their wish."

i really, REALLY hope he blows out a knee, makes some bad investments and will be 35 years old without an education or a pot to piss in...i would love to see him and some of the others homeless and begging for change
    Tying a significant percentage of player compensation to wins and losses is the solution, along with financial incentives for players to stay in college and pursue an actual education while there.

good idea...if we lived in fantasyland

and as much as i love the nba, i hope it shuts down for a few years so these assholes no longer get their 'me me me' paychecks...it would be interesting to see if any of them can actually hold a real job

Got to agree with you norm. This league needs a makeover bad. Too many players way to concerned with their own development and not the teams. Players should have team pride, not ego pride.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    Love this ESPN Series, I think it's a series called...The Association: The Boston Celtics

Peace

• Options
    Going to the Jazz/Celtics game here in SLC tonight. It's unlikely we will get it, but we need this win. It would be a huge confidence booster for us this late in the season.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Going to the Jazz/Celtics game here in SLC tonight. It's unlikely we will get it, but we need this win. It would be a huge confidence booster for us this late in the season.

who are you rooting for?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    this article made me chuckle
    The wake of “The Decision” is still wreaking havoc on multinational corporations, professional basketball franchises and itinerant announcers: Months after LeBron James’ one-man lottery played out on live cable TV, ESPN remains embarrassed, NBA teams keep retooling and Jim Gray’s it’s-my-mike-or-you-hike broadcasting career continues to spiral.

Today we will concentrate on the NBA ramifications because, quite frankly, Couch Slouch can only focus on one thing at a time.

By taking his talents to a solitary, sandy beach in south Florida, LeBron has reshaped the NBA landscape, causing a sudden continental drift and reversing generations of Western migration. If Horace Greeley were alive today, he undoubtedly would exclaim, “Go east, young man,” or, at a minimum, book a three-day cruise to Staten Island.

With a flurry of trade-deadline activity, here is a look at your new, post-“Decision” NBA:

--In Miami, the Three Tenors – LeBron, Dwyane Wade and the other guy – perform one show nightly to standing ovations, but the show might close before the NBA Finals.

--With the assistance of Isiah Thomas from a thousand miles away, the Knicks have united the song-and-dance act of Amar’e Stoudmire and Carmelo Anthony – a.k.a. “Shoot First, Ask Questions Later” – for a tragicomic run at the world’s most famous arena.

(More on this later, in our special “Kourtney & Kim Take New York: NBA Version” section.)

--From Knick to Nugget, poor Danilo Gallinari just went from a city full of Italians to a city full of Olive Gardens.

--The Celtics made just one roster addition (Jeff Green), figuring they can still rely on Kevin Garnett’s trash-talking, finger-pointing, groin-grabbing antics to secure another championship.

--Kendrick Perkins is now in Oklahoma City, where his signature scowl will become the latest cow tipping sensation.

--Deron Williams is now with New Jersey. The deal included an EZ Pass.

(Former Jazz coach Jerry Sloan reportedly was sitting in a Ramada Inn lounge, sipping a scotch-and-water, when news of the Williams trade flashed across the big screen. “WTF!?!” he said. He immediately paid his tab, hailed a cab and told the driver to make double time to EnergySolutions Arena, but halfway there thought to himself, “I don’t need this s--- anymore,” and asked the fella to take him back to his bar stool. You made the right choice, Jerry.)

--Kirk Hinrich is now in Atlanta. The Hawks did this just to keep up appearances, because in the larger scheme of things, where Hinrich plays never affects the outcome of any NBA contest.

--Mo Williams, left LeBron-less in Cleveland, was given a choice of a witness protection program or the Clippers. Sadly, he chose the Clippers.

--The Clippers traded Baron Davis, because they could.

--To their credit, the Wizards – irrespective of where LeBron ended up – budgeted and game-planned for a 60-loss season.

Okay, let’s revisit that Knicks-Nuggets-Timberwolves deal. It was a remarkable, broad-daylight heist for Denver, aided by Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov baiting Knicks management with an offer-he-knew-Melo-would-refuse tactic. Heck, if the Nuggets had held out 12 more hours, the Knicks would’ve thrown in Willis Reed, Walt Frazier and the Statue of Liberty.

This is what I can tell you about Knicks czar James Dolan: If he were to ever stumble upon the formula for Coca-Cola, by the time he was done with it, it would taste like cough syrup.

Of course, some Knicks fans now think they are primed for a title run. To which I will say – pairing Amar’e and Melo means the Knicks clearly now are the fourth- or fifth-best team in the Eastern Conference. Congratulations.

Amar’e and Melo aren’t going to lead you to the promised land, they’re going to lead you to Foot Locker. They both are prodigious scorers and prodigious non-defenders. Melo couldn’t stop a bus if he were at a bus stop.

The Knicks’ idea of pressure defense is having Spike Lee heckle you.

In an unrelated development, Jim Gray hopes to end his career slide with a YouTube interview of a Charlie Sheen rant.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    81 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

who are you rooting for?
    As much as I like the Celtics and am a big fan of Garnett and even more so Ray Allen... I'm wearing my Jefferson jersey for some home team support. Would love to see them pull off a win tonight, but I won't hold my breath.

Gotta love Big Al. Especially how he acts surprised everytime he's called for a foul. :lol: But seriously, Al's been putting up monster numbers lately.
    Post edited by dcfaithful on
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    As much as I like the Celtics and am a big fan of Garnett and even more so Ray Allen... I'm wearing my Jefferson jersey for some home team support. Would love to see them pull off a win tonight, but I won't hold my breath.

Garnett....king of the fake tough guys. :P

Did you catch Boozers "elbow" to that fake tough guy down in Miami? I'm so glad Bosh didn't go to the Bulls. What a chump.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

Garnett....king of the fake tough guys. :P

Did you catch Boozers "elbow" to that fake tough guy down in Miami? I'm so glad Bosh didn't go to the Bulls. What a chump.

I didn't see that... did Bosh get away with a flop or something?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
  • Options
    Whoever that geriatric referee was tonight needs to hang it up. HORRIBLE officiating. Fucking horrible. Utah would've had that game if we would've received the 4 foul calls in the 4th quarter that we deserved.

Great game nonetheless. Our new big Derrick Favors has got some game. Big Al had yet another big, big night. Jazz haven't lost much momentum, but we might be done for this season unless we can get a lot more wins before the season ends. Otherwise, next season should be a great one. :)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    Its a shame we are going to miss next season.

yeah but this is a league that actually needs a lockout, not the nfl.
    chinese-happy.jpg