Options

2010-11 NBA Season

Comments

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,965
    anyone watch the All star game festivities friday or saturday night? Missed Friday, but caught the slam dunk contest which was actually pretty decent. All the guys brought their A game. Not sure if Blake should have won. I thought overall McGee should have won. The other guy, Ibaka (?), was also really good. Blake's were ok. Most had been done before except the last one which I wasn't too impressed with.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i had sat night on. watched the skills competition, although it's pretty lame

3pt shoot out is about the best event

i must have been doing something, because i only saw the last few dunks. i thought the car thing was pretty impressive.probally not hard to do, but it looked cool
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,324
    81 wrote:

i must have been doing something, because i only saw the last few dunks. i thought the car thing was pretty impressive.probally not hard to do, but it looked cool

i haven't watched more than 5 minutes of all star saturday night in the last decade. but the 3 point shoot out is always the best. i miss those craig hodges shoot outs way back when...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:

i haven't watched more than 5 minutes of all star saturday night in the last decade. but the 3 point shoot out is always the best. i miss those craig hodges shoot outs way back when...

love me some craig hodges. he was my favorite 3pt speacialst during the bulls run
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    i realize i'm older than dirt but i don't understand what is going on at halftime...is this a basketball game or are we at da club? :? :roll:
  • Options
    Rose dumped the mustard shoes :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    i can't believe you guys are actually watching this garbage

:lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

there isnt crap on tonight
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:

there isnt crap on tonight

read a book.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/six ... _rule.html

"To think a dozen or so early entries a year haven't affected the quality of this game is ridiculous. It has drastically," Bilas said. "There is no way I should say teams that played 20 years ago are superior to today, but I can and it's true, not because they are better players. It's because the players before were older, played together, and were junior and senior lottery picks. We don't have that anymore."

The solution, of course, is in the NBA's hands. Bilas has come around to favor the baseball model. If a high school player is talented enough to jump to the NBA, like a LeBron James or Dwight Howard, then so be it. But if a player commits to college, like a Kevin Durant or Kevin Love, then he has to stay through his junior year.

If the National Football League can keep players from declaring for the draft until the spring of their junior year, why can't the NBA? It would dramatically help the college game and the pro product and - imagine this - the players.

i am totally in favor of this. it would make everything on every level better and more enjoyable to watch. a new cba, whether they get there through strike or lockout, however long it takes, could turn out to be the best possible thing for the nba.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2 ... _david.php

yes stern put another team in so cal :roll:
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    kobe...IN THE FACE !!!! :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Carmelo's a Knick!!!

All we had to give up for him was our entire starting lineup!!!

Woo!!!!

In all seriousness, it's nice that it's finally over.
  • Options
    my first thought was about all the young talent the knicks were giving up. this could work out if certain things happen over the next few years...could also turn out to be the nba's version of the herschel walker trade. hollinger's take (he gave denver and minnesota b+'s:

New York: D+

You can't evaluate this as you would a normal trade. This deal was made at gunpoint, and that colors the entire assessment.

Anthony became the first player in memory to issue a trade demand and then list one team that he'd accept a trade to. And then somehow, the Knicks decided to start bidding against themselves and repeatedly agreed to up the ante in the final hours.

New York could have had Anthony this summer while losing only Chandler (a restricted free agent they would have had to renounce). Their primary risk to that outcome was a "franchise tag" in the new collective bargaining agreement that would have allowed Denver to keep Anthony. But even then plenty of alternatives were available for the Knicks, as three better players -- Chris Paul, Deron Williams, and Dwight Howard -- all seemed anxious to get to the Big Apple via power plays of their own, and one of the three (or another marquee star) may have wriggled free regardless of what new restrictions the next CBA imposes.

This isn't Indiana or Memphis, and this saga laid that reality bare. Even with a franchise tag rule, New York had so many advantages that it was only a matter of time before a second star showed up, especially given the salary cap space the Knicks had carved out.

To get a player like Anthony in those circumstances, it was worth paying something above just Chandler to convert a likely outcome to a certainty.

But in this case the premium New York paid was as follows, beyond Chandler:

• Gallinari
    • Mozgov
    • Their 2014 first-round draft pick
    • Golden State's second-round picks in 2012 and 2013 (owned by the Knicks)
    • $6 million in cash ($3 million each to Minnesota and Denver)
    • Swallowing two dead-money years at the end of Balkman's contract
    • Trading Anthony Randolph for Corey Brewer
    • Trading Felton for Billups, making New York eight years older at the point guard spot with a player who makes nearly twice in salary next season. Remind again why they needed to commit to all eight of these additional considerations for a player they were likely to get anyway?

The worst part, of course, is that this deal proves that no matter how many advantages New York gains from its magnetic appeal to potential free agents, owner James Dolan will screw them up. Leaning on the genius of Isiah Thomas -- because it worked out so well for the first time -- he fell hook, line and sinker for every bluff thrown his way by the Nuggets and Melo's people. (Yes, Melo's people participated -- Anthony needed to make sure he got a lucrative contract extension under the current salary rules before being traded.)

New York still gets its Melo-Stoudemire nucleus, but now lacks the supporting pieces to do anything important with that core. And by extending Melo now, they agree to lock him up at such an expensive price that, in concert with Stoudemire's deal, it likely precludes making a run at Chris Paul, Deron Williams or Dwight Howard in 2012.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    horrendous deal for NY.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    horrendous deal for NY.

i wouldn't go that far. but it's what happens when owner's get more involved than they should.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    horrendous deal for NY.

i wouldn't go that far. but it's what happens when owner's get more involved than they should.

it is.

melo wanted to play for one franchise and one franchise only.

NY.

he's a unrestricted fa at the end of the season.

NY isn't a contender this year, even with melo

i would have let the season play out and then signed him for less money in the off season. than you keep Felton and cash and draft picks.

bad deal.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    horrendous deal for NY.

it is.

NY.

i would have let the season play out and then signed him for less money in the off season. than you keep Felton and cash and draft picks.

bad deal.

dolan just didn't want him to go to the nets so he gave up all their young talent. :lol:

i guess the thinking is they will go after paul and howard etc etc etc in a couple years....but they have no idea what the new cba will look like.

on the surface people see a superstar going to ny, but i think the nuggets made out like bandits here.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    horrendous deal for NY.

it is.

NY.

bad deal.
    I think the biggest concern I would have for Denver is losing Felton. I too thought that they were at least going to wait until the off season. Glad to see they didn't trade Landry Fields though. He's had a great rookie season.

In any case, I look forward to seeing the Knicks progress and possibly enter the realm of contending again. I wouldn't mind seeing the O'Brien trophy being lifted by someone new.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    horrendous deal for NY.

it is.

NY.

bad deal.

i hate the knicks as you know and on paper it seems like alot ...however they now have 2 superstars and solid pg in billups who has won b4

they kept fields and now they have a good chance of getting paul or williams or howard

i hate to say it but the knicks will be a force in the near future
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options

Charles Smith just got blocked again.

you can't win a championship without playing D. neither of their two "superstars" plays D, nor does the coach preach it.

imo, you are looking at miami and chicago being the dominant teams in the east. Boston is there now, but they are getting old fast.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:

you can't win a championship without playing D. neither of their two "superstars" plays D, nor does the coach preach it.

imo, you are looking at miami and chicago being the dominant teams in the east. Boston is there now, but they are getting old fast.

agreed they play no defense which is not good...

however..some quiet grumblings over here that coach is out next year

i hope they do lay an egg :lol:

$10,000 for good tickets tomorrow night ..yes 10 grand
  • Options
    81 wrote:

agreed they play no defense which is not good...

however..some quiet grumblings over here that coach is out next year

i hope they do lay an egg :lol:

$10,000 for good tickets tomorrow night ..yes 10 grand

i've heard that too. isn't donnie walsh most likely gone also? are they going to bring isiah back? :lol::lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    zeek to run the point.

he is such a loser
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    YEA WALSH ALSO...maybe try and totally change the style

alot of talk that mr. thomas had his hands all over this deal :lol:
  • Options
  • Options
    81 wrote:

I think that's NY's number one problem. Although it might be more so of D'Antoni problem considering he received the same criticism in Phoenix. How can you be a coach and not preach defense, defense, defense. Defense and fighting for the boards will be essential in you winning games.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    Enough NY talk.

Noah is back for the Bulls tonight.

Bulls also making a run at Lee.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Deron Williams traded to New Jersey. :shock:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/51297 ... s.html.csp

This aren't looking bright for our franchise. I see a couple bust seasons in our future. :?
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Deron Williams traded to New Jersey. :shock:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/51297 ... s.html.csp

This aren't looking bright for our franchise. I see a couple bust seasons in our future. :?

Isn't Favors a power forward?

I suspect he won't stay long in utah if he is.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg