Options

2010-11 NBA Season

smg97791smg97791 Posts: 151
edited May 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Well, we are a mere days away from tip off of another NBA season. Should be a great one. I'm a Laker fan, so I am obviously pulling for them. I am excited that there is now a team more loathed than LA, the Miami Heat. Here are my predictions for the upcoming season. I'm ranking the top four in each conference as they would be seeded in the playoffs. I don't really want to get into seeds 5-8 for each conference as they really don't matter. NBA is really top heavy this year and there is ZERO chance, IMO, that a team that I dont have listed here will win the title.

Eastern Conference
1. Miami
2. Orlando
3. Boston
4. Chicago

Western Conference
1. Lakers
2. Dallas
3. OKC
4. San Antonio

ECF: Boston vs. Miami
WCF: Lakers vs. Dallas (not buying the OKC hype at the moment they'll be good, just not that good)

Finals: Lakers vs. Miami

NBA Champs: Lakers! (picked with my heart, my head says Heat win easily)

Best record overall: Miami, by about 10+ games.

MVP: tough choice, Durant is the trendy pick. Nash maybe? If he can guide a Amare-less suns team to a good record. I guess I'll go with Durant, its his to lose this year. All he needs to do is put up good numbers (easy) and guide the Thunder to a decent top 3 record in the depleted western conference, should be relatively easy. I think people are gonna avoid the big three in Miami like the plague when it comes to MVP voting.

Other predictions:

Lakers and Celtics struggle a bit in the regular season, Miami doesn't lose two in a row all year. Odin and Bynum will get injured. Orlando gets destroyed in playoffs. Sorry, it's not good if your second best player is Vince Carter in this year's NBA. Celtics set record for most games missed due to injury. BIG BIG trade come the deadline. 'Melo? Paul? I say 'Melo. We'll see.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,226
    I'm goin to Lakers/Rockets opening night :mrgreen:

I'm a hopeless Knicks fan, who can't pass up the chance to see a real team play. That could change with Melo.

I also would love for the Heat to have that sinking feeling at the end of the season

Over/under until Riles takes over?
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,334
    Hey man?! Where is Utah Jazz? Oh, I really like that team! Do you remember Malone and Stockton? :mrgreen:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Pap wrote:
    Hey man?! Where is Utah Jazz? Oh, I really like that team! Do you remember Malone and Stockton? :mrgreen:

I think we're going to surprise people this year. We're defeated in the preseason and have already beaten LA twice, and our roster has some surprises up their sleeve.

Jefferson, Bell, and Hayward are all very nice additions to our team.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    smg97791 wrote:
    I don't really want to get into seeds 5-8 for each conference as they really don't matter.

I don't know, there have been plenty of times where 5-8 seeds get further then anybody would've given them credit for.

I mean, if #8 OKC nearly bumped the defending champs last year...I think it's worth to acknowledge them.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Miami
    Boston
    Chicago
    Orlando (they can't be higher than the 4th seed if Miami wins the division)
    Atlanta
    Milwaukee
    Charlotte
    Cleveland

Detroit could sneak in. But i took Cleveland for the first round match up fun.

out west

Lakers
    OK
    Dallas
    Portland
    Utah
    Denver (if melo stays)
    San Antonio
    Phoenix

i think top to bottom, the west is the better confrence.

I figure out east you are looking at a Miami/Chicago confrence final :mrgreen: Chicago takes it. hehe....ok ok. Miami

out west

i'm going to go Lakers Oklahoma with Oklahoma winning it.

Mimia of OK

you heard it here first and Miami doesn't win 72
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    I figure out east you are looking at a Miami/Chicago confrence final :mrgreen: Chicago takes it. hehe....ok ok. Miami
    chicago can do it... i would love nothing more than to see that... they're gonna improve A LOT when boozers back... and they already have looked pretty good

FUCK MIAMI
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:
    chicago can do it... i would love nothing more than to see that... they're gonna improve A LOT when boozers back... and they already have looked pretty good

FUCK MIAMI
    Chicago needs to get healthy. That new big white guy looks pretty decent. We'll see, but anybody but miami is my motto
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    My predictions:
    Lakers beat Magic for the championship.

Heat wind up with best record in the NBA, but choke against the Magic

Durant is MVP after posting similar numbers to last year and leading OKC to #2 seed in the west.

I follow the Bobcats, but aren't sold on them making the playoffs. While I like the Jackson/Wallace/Thomas trio, I just don't think they have the overall talent to do as well as last year. I think they're gonna miss Ray Felton more than they thought and I don't see Augustin being a starting PG in the NBA.
  • Options
    81 wrote:

FUCK MIAMI

While Boozer can be a pretty productive player...I'll be very surprised if anyone ever gets an entire 82 games out of the guy.

But, let me reiterate something you said:

FUCK MIAMI.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

FUCK MIAMI
    Chicago needs to get healthy. That new big white guy looks pretty decent. We'll see, but anybody but miami is my motto

I really wish we would've has lost Korver to you guys. Be on the watch, he can be an great perimeter player if given the chance. I wish Sloan would've utilized that. :roll:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    82, you're outta your fn mind if you think Chicago's even going to sniff the Conference Finals this year. And I'm not sure how the OP has Orlando ahead of Boston. We beat them down real bad in the playoffs last year...and we added pieces! Boston's the best TEAM in the east.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    82, you're outta your fn mind if you think Chicago's even going to sniff the Conference Finals this year. And I'm not sure how the OP has Orlando ahead of Boston. We beat them down real bad in the playoffs last year...and we added pieces! Boston's the best TEAM in the east.

Everybody under-estimates Boston. I just hope they don't coast into the post-season again... :?

Also...a lot of their players (mainly KG because Sheed isn't there anymore) need to keep their mouths shut with this whole new technical rule. I see it being a big problem for them. Doc needs to lay down the law.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    81 wrote:
    Miami
    Boston
    Chicago
    Orlando (they can't be higher than the 4th seed if Miami wins the division)
    Atlanta
    Milwaukee
    Charlotte
    Cleveland

Detroit could sneak in. But i took Cleveland for the first round match up fun.

out west

Lakers
    OK
    Dallas
    Portland
    Utah
    Denver (if melo stays)
    San Antonio
    Phoenix

i think top to bottom, the west is the better confrence.

out west

i'm going to go Lakers Oklahoma with Oklahoma winning it.

Mimia of OK

you heard it here first and Miami doesn't win 72

no way in hell cleveland makes the playoffs
  • Options

why couldn't they?

in my seedings, they would play milwaukee in the first round and boston in the second. boston is beatable and the bulls match up well with them if not better. other than Rondo the celtics are old and more injury prone than the bulls (net boozer) but lets say both teams are healthy. The bulls will have solid D, low post scoring, a point guard that can penetrate and shooters this year, plus motivation to knock off Boston. Toss in Tom's knowledge of the boston players and the bulls have a realistic shot of making the confrence finals.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

in a weak eastern confrence they could. lebron didn't win all those games by himself. it will be a struggle for them, but the bottom 2-3 seeds are going to be a crap shoot in the east. Cleveland could sneak in, so could detroit, or maybe even the knicks. well, ok, not the knicks
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:

why couldn't they?

in my seedings, they would play milwaukee in the first round and boston in the second. boston is beatable and the bulls match up well with them if not better. other than Rondo the celtics are old and more injury prone than the bulls (net boozer) but lets say both teams are healthy. The bulls will have solid D, low post scoring, a point guard that can penetrate and shooters this year, plus motivation to knock off Boston. Toss in Tom's knowledge of the boston players and the bulls have a realistic shot of making the confrence finals.

I think the Bulls have a better chance than people would like to think.

I give Chicago and New York the space to do some real improving this year...and making a post-season appearance.

If NY could get Melo, then they may finally be back in the group of relevant NBA teams.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

in a weak eastern confrence they could. lebron didn't win all those games by himself. it will be a struggle for them, but the bottom 2-3 seeds are going to be a crap shoot in the east. Cleveland could sneak in, so could detroit, or maybe even the knicks. well, ok, not the knicks

ha. I love that the knicks suck. I hope that trend continues for the next 100 years. in a perfect world the celtics would join them and battle for last place every year.

the east is full of crap teams. Lebron did win all those games by himself though. I think cleveland is gonna be in the running for the number 1 pick next year. no way they're a playoff squad
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

ha. I love that the knicks suck. I hope that trend continues for the next 100 years. in a perfect world the celtics would join them and battle for last place every year.

the east is full of crap teams. Lebron did win all those games by himself though. I think cleveland is gonna be in the running for the number 1 pick next year. no way they're a playoff squad

I too find it hard to envision Mo and Antawn Jamison carrying that team into the post-season. Now that West is gone, it'll be even tougher for them.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    i think Cleveland still has enough talent to win some games agasit the bottom half of the eastern confrence.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    i think Cleveland still has enough talent to win some games agasit the bottom half of the eastern confrence.

True. Hopefully no one sinks as low as the Nets last year. I bet they're in a hurry to put that season behind them. What a bust.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    81 wrote:

True. Hopefully no one sinks as low as the Nets last year. I bet they're in a hurry to put that season behind them. What a bust.

they should have never been that bad. they have some decent players on that team.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    81 wrote:

they should have never been that bad. they have some decent players on that team.

I didn't bother to follow anything on the team. Is it possible that their coaching staff is just that shitty?

EDIT: Must have been now that they have new coach, Avery Johnson
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I didn't bother to follow anything on the team. Is it possible that their coaching staff is just that shitty?

EDIT: Must have been now that they have new coach, Avery Johnson

some short little white guy was the coach. can't think of his name. he had zero expierience when he got the job, did a decent job when he took over, than last year, they opened with a shit ton of losses in a row and kiki vanerderway (sp) fired him and took over.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Okay, maybe I gotta give the Bulls a little more credit. And great point about Thibodeau. He'll be able to scheme against the C's very effectively. I'll revise my east rankings: Boston, Miami, Chicago, Orlando
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    Okay, maybe I gotta give the Bulls a little more credit. And great point about Thibodeau. He'll be able to scheme against the C's very effectively. I'll revise my east rankings: Boston, Miami, Chicago, Orlando

Thibodeau is what the Bulls needed. He's an excellent defensive coach. I just hope he can pull it together offensively.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    picking 4th in my fantasy draft tonite ...

likely going to go:

Durant
    Paul
    Nowitzki

yup ... as with the 3rd guy - we are both passing on lebron ... i don't like the guy at all anymore and will reach and pick stephen curry with my fourth pick ... and then see what else is left going forward ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

likely going to go:

Durant
    Paul
    Nowitzki

yup ... as with the 3rd guy - we are both passing on lebron ... i don't like the guy at all anymore and will reach and pick stephen curry with my fourth pick ... and then see what else is left going forward ...

i don't like him either, but i'd take him for my fantasy team. if i was picking 5th, i would be thanking you all season long
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

likely going to go:

Durant
    Paul
    Nowitzki

I picked up Stephen Curry, Michael Beasley and Kevin Love in some nice trades on my NBA LIVE '10 dynamic season. :mrgreen: :geek:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

likely going to go:

Durant
    Paul
    Nowitzki

I picked up Stephen Curry, Michael Beasley and Kevin Love in some nice trades on my NBA LIVE '10 dynamic season. :mrgreen: :geek:

i'm so glad the bulls passed on Beasley.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

likely going to go:

Durant
    Paul
    Nowitzki

i'm so glad the bulls passed on Beasley.

Yeah, he's more dominate in video game form, I will say that much. Although my training is rigorous and he's improved, he's still playing in Al Jefferson's shadow who is putting up a seasona verage double-double. :ugeek: :ugeek:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL