Texas Rangers.....

Comments

• SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I saw on Deadspin that they sent out text messages saying they won in the middle of the 9th.

Rangers.jpg
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Mike Napoli is a bad motherfucker!

How he managed to walk, less yet stay in the game after "twisting" his ankle is beyond me.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,714
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I saw on Deadspin that they sent out text messages saying they won in the middle of the 9th.

Rangers.jpg

There you go. Horrible.
    Jason P wrote:

How he managed to walk, less yet stay in the game after "twisting" his ankle is beyond me.

That was digusting. Could not have felt good.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

i felt his pain.. last year i had to literally crawl from the ice when i did my ankle. but perhaps napoli's injury wasnt as bad as it looked...
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

i felt his pain.. last year i had to literally crawl from the ice when i did my ankle. but perhaps napoli's injury wasnt as bad as it looked...

X-Rays are apparently negative for damage, but I bet that sumbitch is stiff/sore today.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

Definitely not as bad as it looked, it can't be. Ankle injuries are brutal, as a soccer player, I have had many including 2 surgeries.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Definitely not as bad as it looked, it can't be. Ankle injuries are brutal, as a soccer player, I have had many including 2 surgeries.

yeah they certainly are that.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    I went to bed thinking it was all over when the Rangers went up by 3 only to wake up with some shock that they lost. How they recover to win tonight I don't know I can see Stl winning it all unfortunately.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Rangers.jpg

There you go. Horrible.

I'm assuming they did that so they could say it was the story they "broke first". I bet it's probably the same all over with local news, but in Dallas it's like a big pissing contest over which local news program first reported on a story. The commercials for the news programs are basically a montage of the stories they broke first, be it a fire, shooting, police chase, etc. Apparently they think there are extra points for "firsties". Like I said, that might happen in all markets, but I'm betting that's the reason this incident happened. There's no good reason to send out that text in the middle of the 9th, before the Cardinals have even had one out, except to brag about being the first. If the Rangers do end up winning it won't be a big deal and likely forgotten, but if they don't win it's going to be serious egg on the face.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    g under p wrote:
    I went to bed thinking it was all over when the Rangers went up by 3 only to wake up with some shock that they lost. How they recover to win tonight I don't know I can see Stl winning it all unfortunately.

Peace
    oh damn you missed a fun game!!
    It must be a pain in the ass to watch games on the east coast! ;)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Lizard wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace
    oh damn you missed a fun game!!
    It must be a pain in the ass to watch games on the east coast! ;)

You are damn right I was tired I go to bed before 11pm....10 sometimes and I'm done. I can stay up tonight though. :D

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Flagg wrote:
    OK, I have no words on last night. A part of my soul died a little. I am not commenting any more until after tonight. I feel so down and depressed that if PJ announced a NE tour today I wouldn't even notice, nor give a shit.
    I am also depressed and can barely stand to think about tonight's game.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    edited October 2011
    If they lose tonight, at least I have some options:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7n3MGXk0rQ
    Post edited by Flagg on
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,919
    cruz should have made the play..might have cost them the series

he never had the "oh shit" look in his eyes....and then he just coasted on it. As someone said, that catch meant the world series :shock:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    NAPOLI-ANKLE.gif

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,197
    Flagg wrote:
    If they lose tonight, at least I have some options:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7n3MGXk0rQ

I feel for you bro most of the people i know wanted the Rangers to win it all ...I hope they can get back to it next season ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Hey Flagg -

I know you're probably in a fetal position right now ;) but the pain will eventually subside. For me in '02, it only took about a month until I could think of other things. I remember my quick trigger on the clicker...anything WS related and it was off to HGTV :lol: . I don't think I read the sports section for a week.

I'm seriously wondering how you and other Rangers fans will regard Cruz. Sure, the pitching in game 6 was brutal but there was also someone hitting the ball. Cruz could have won the WS with a catch and appeared to coast (or "cruise"). As a fan, I can forgive mistakes but not lack of effort. Did he ever explain it? I haven't seen where he addressed it but I'm sure your local coverage was wall to wall.

I feel your pain, brother. I know it's "only" a game but I also know some of us ;) can get pretty invested.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:

I'm seriously wondering how you and other Rangers fans will regard Cruz. Sure, the pitching in game 6 was brutal but there was also someone hitting the ball. Cruz could have won the WS with a catch and appeared to coast (or "cruise"). As a fan, I can forgive mistakes but not lack of effort. Did he ever explain it? I haven't seen where he addressed it but I'm sure your local coverage was wall to wall.

I know you asked this of Flagg, but I've seen and heard some things the past day or so that pertain to this. And one of the Rangers fans (not sure if it was Flagg or not) mentioned it on this board. But I don't think there is a feeling that is was a lack of effort, because apparently Cruz has a well-known fear of the wall. He's careful not to go smashing into it and as opposed to giving up or not trying, sort of balks. Kind of like a flinch or something. Rangers fans are still very unhappy with him, basically saying to man-up and go after balls like that, but I don't think they question his effort or will to win. At least that's the impression I'm getting.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    imalive wrote:

I know you asked this of Flagg, but I've seen and heard some things the past day or so that pertain to this. And one of the Rangers fans (not sure if it was Flagg or not) mentioned it on this board. But I don't think there is a feeling that is was a lack of effort, because apparently Cruz has a well-known fear of the wall. He's careful not to go smashing into it and as opposed to giving up or not trying, sort of balks. Kind of like a flinch or something. Rangers fans are still very unhappy with him, basically saying to man-up and go after balls like that, but I don't think they question his effort or will to win. At least that's the impression I'm getting.

That ball should have been caught...unfortunately he will probably be remembered more for that than his 8 home runs in the post season.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    I wonder if the Texas manger used up his bullpen the the Detroit series...did any stater go longer than 5 in the Detroit series in the first five games? Did not look like the same bullpen.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

lukin2006 wrote:
    I wonder if the Texas manger used up his bullpen the the Detroit series...did any stater go longer than 5 in the Detroit series in the first five games? Did not look like the same bullpen.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think they were "used up". I think they were just inconsistent. Wilson was supposed to be their ace, and he had a mediocre (at best) post-season. Alexi Ogando had been their "secret weapon" (as the media called him) but St. Louis just figured him out. St. Louis gassed their bullpen pretty well also. So if the Rangers were used up, they need to work on their stamina. Carpenter managed to pitch 3 games in the series and look fresh as a daisy.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    because apparently Cruz has a well-known fear of the wall. He's careful not to go smashing into it and as opposed to giving up or not trying, sort of balks. Kind of like a flinch or something

wtf?? if this is the case, why is he in the outfield? or playing baseball at all?? :? :roll:
    norm wrote:
    because apparently Cruz has a well-known fear of the wall. He's careful not to go smashing into it and as opposed to giving up or not trying, sort of balks. Kind of like a flinch or something

wtf?? if this is the case, why is he in the outfield? or playing baseball at all?? :? :roll:

Well, "fear of the wall" is the way people are putting it now that they're angry at him. If they took their emotions out of it I'm sure they would describe him as being "cautious" or "mindful" of the wall. After all, there have been some pretty bad injuries as a result of colliding with the wall. Such a thing would probably never even be discussed all that often, had it not been for that factoring in to possibly the biggest mistake of his career on such a huge stage. That fuck up is going to haunt him forever. Especially if the Rangers don't win a World Series here pretty soon. I've already seen people comparing him to Bill Buckner.

I just saw this on another message board as a suggestion for an ESPN 30 for 30.
    Cruz.jpg
    lukin2006 wrote:

I don't know for sure, but I don't think they were "used up". I think they were just inconsistent. Wilson was supposed to be their ace, and he had a mediocre (at best) post-season. Alexi Ogando had been their "secret weapon" (as the media called him) but St. Louis just figured him out. St. Louis gassed their bullpen pretty well also. So if the Rangers were used up, they need to work on their stamina. Carpenter managed to pitch 3 games in the series and look fresh as a daisy.

They did not look like the same bullpen...of course the tigers offense is no where near as good as St Louis offense is. Still thought overall the rangers were the better team going in...but that's not how it worked out.

It'll be tough for the rangers to get back to a 3rd straight ws.

• FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Ugh.

Not going to lie. This hurts. But last night really didn't matter. The Series was lost in Game 6. Last night was just a formality.

Let's see. Nelson Cruz isn't the best outfielder in the wall. No one goes to Rangers game to see him play defense. You go to see how may homers he will hit and how many clutch RBIs he will get. Still, you run through that wall. This is the World Series and Cruz is going to have to live with being one of the reasons it was lost. But he wasn't the only reason.

CJ Wilson - our supposed "Ace" was awful yet again in the post-season. He is a free agent and the Rangers need to let him go. I am tired of his douchey attitude and only caring about himself. He is the Tony Romo of the Rangers. Great in the regular season, but a failure when it matters. How do you come in and hit a guy with the bases loaded in Game 7? He was just awful this post-season and last year too. Let some other team overpay him, but buyer beware.

Michael Young - I love Michael Young. I do. But I think this relationship has to be over. He is brutal on defense. Multiple errors in Game 6. He is a complete liability in the field. His bat is hard to give up though. He had his best year ever at the plate. But we cannot have that kind of defense out there when it matters.

Matt Harrison - Oh man. He was so awesome during the regular season, but he just betrayed us in the World Series. In Games 3 and 7 he had no command. And when he gave up the tying runs in the bottom of the 1st last night, it sucked the life right out of the Rangers. He is young, and under contract, and a pretty good lefty, but that wasn't what we needed.

The bullpen - I think they were tired. They were overworked due to the starters inability to go deep. Remember, the Rangers have played 180 games or so two years in a row with almost the same exact players. To me, their arms looked dead in Games 6 & 7. Ogando had no answer for the Cards. Oliver is 137 years old. Seriously, he started a playoff game for us in 1996!! Mike Adams is a badass but just couldn't contribute. Feldman has been dependable all year. Not here though. And Feliz. Wow. That poor kid. One strike away. He just need to pitch one more 99 mph fastball up out of the strike zone.

Ron Washington - He made some iffy calls here and there but nothing that cost them the Series. They players play hard for him and I welcome him back. He made a couple of miscues in Game 1, but really, he didn't make the errors, he didn't misplay the ball in right, he didn't give up at the plate last night.

Finally, not to place blame or make excuses, but the Rangers were riddled with injuries. Josh Hamilton with a torn groin, etc. Napoli and his ankle. Cruz and his groin. Hey, it isn't an excuse, but it does matter.

And then there is this. You all know the record of the Cards and Rangers when Jerry Fucking Lane is behind the plate. Last night, 82.3% of missed calls were in favor of the Cardinals. Inexcusable. http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/zon ... vDate=1028

But, close the deal in Game 6 and that doesn't happen.

On the bright side - This team will be back. There are only 3 unrestricted free agents. CJ, Oliver, and Mike Gonzales. Everyone else is back. And you can bet they will address the defensive issues and make a big run at Prince Fielder and hope CC opts out. We need an ace. STL had an ace. That was the main difference.

They won back to back AL pennants, pretty much dominating the AL along the way. I'm very happy with that and I don't see the Angels or anyone else in the division catching up next year. They won the most games in franchise history this year. It was a very, very wild ride.

Lastly, most people are not aware that the Rangers made a blockbuster TV deal with Fox late last year. It kicks in after the 2014 season. It is worth $1.6 billion over 20 years. They aren't going anywhere folks.

Congrats to the Cadinals - truly amazing what they were able to pull off after being written off by everyone multiple times. They clearly deserved it.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    Flagg wrote:
    Ugh.

Not going to lie. This hurts. But last night really didn't matter. The Series was lost in Game 6. Last night was just a formality.

Let's see. Nelson Cruz isn't the best outfielder in the wall. No one goes to Rangers game to see him play defense. You go to see how may homers he will hit and how many clutch RBIs he will get. Still, you run through that wall. This is the World Series and Cruz is going to have to live with being one of the reasons it was lost. But he wasn't the only reason.

CJ Wilson - our supposed "Ace" was awful yet again in the post-season. He is a free agent and the Rangers need to let him go. I am tired of his douchey attitude and only caring about himself. He is the Tony Romo of the Rangers. Great in the regular season, but a failure when it matters. How do you come in and hit a guy with the bases loaded in Game 7? He was just awful this post-season and last year too. Let some other team overpay him, but buyer beware.

Michael Young - I love Michael Young. I do. But I think this relationship has to be over. He is brutal on defense. Multiple errors in Game 6. He is a complete liability in the field. His bat is hard to give up though. He had his best year ever at the plate. But we cannot have that kind of defense out there when it matters.

Matt Harrison - Oh man. He was so awesome during the regular season, but he just betrayed us in the World Series. In Games 3 and 7 he had no command. And when he gave up the tying runs in the bottom of the 1st last night, it sucked the life right out of the Rangers. He is young, and under contract, and a pretty good lefty, but that wasn't what we needed.

The bullpen - I think they were tired. They were overworked due to the starters inability to go deep. Remember, the Rangers have played 180 games or so two years in a row with almost the same exact players. To me, their arms looked dead in Games 6 & 7. Ogando had no answer for the Cards. Oliver is 137 years old. Seriously, he started a playoff game for us in 1996!! Mike Adams is a badass but just couldn't contribute. Feldman has been dependable all year. Not here though. And Feliz. Wow. That poor kid. One strike away. He just need to pitch one more 99 mph fastball up out of the strike zone.

Ron Washington - He made some iffy calls here and there but nothing that cost them the Series. They players play hard for him and I welcome him back. He made a couple of miscues in Game 1, but really, he didn't make the errors, he didn't misplay the ball in right, he didn't give up at the plate last night.

Finally, not to place blame or make excuses, but the Rangers were riddled with injuries. Josh Hamilton with a torn groin, etc. Napoli and his ankle. Cruz and his groin. Hey, it isn't an excuse, but it does matter.

And then there is this. You all know the record of the Cards and Rangers when Jerry Fucking Lane is behind the plate. Last night, 82.3% of missed calls were in favor of the Cardinals. Inexcusable. http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/zon ... vDate=1028

On the bright side - This team will be back. There are only 3 unrestricted free agents. CJ, Oliver, and Mike Gonzales. Everyone else is back. And you can bet they will address the defensive issues and make a big run at Prince Fielder and hope CC opts out. We need an ace. STL had an ace. That was the main difference.

They won back to back AL pennants, pretty much dominating the AL along the way. I'm very happy with that and I don't see the Angels or anyone else in the division catching up next year. They won the most games in franchise history this year. It was a very, very wild ride.

Lastly, most people are not aware that the Rangers made a blockbuster TV deal with Fox late last year. It kicks in after the 2014 season. It is worth $1.6 billion over 20 years. They aren't going anywhere folks.

Congrats to the Cadinals - truly amazing what they were able to pull off after being written off by everyone multiple times. They clearly deserved it.

Prince Fielder? Thought they might go after Pujols if the Cards don't resign him.

I was somewhat impressed last year by the overall goodwill that people had towards the Rangers after losing last year. People were just surprised/happy over making it to the World Series, and so they celebrated that feat rather than moaning about the loss. But I don't think it will be the same this year. Especially from what I've seen. There isn't that overall sense of "whoa, can you believe we made it to the World Series?" It's more anger over making it again and then not winning, again. The novelty of just getting to the World Series has worn off, and results were expected.

I think Tim Cowlishaw's colum from today's Dallas Morning News pretty much sums it up:

"They spent last winter as reigning American League champions. It was a good time to be a Texas Ranger, the greatest time ever.

Following a 6-2 loss to the St. Louis Cardinals in Bush Stadium on Friday night, they will spend this winter as World Series losers. It is, technically speaking, the same thing.

And yet nothing about it will feel the same.

World Series losers. World Series chokers. Baseball's Buffalo Bills.

Call them whatever you want, and the Rangers can do nothing but sit there and take it. You lose your first World Series, and everyone says you're a team on the rise.

You go back and lose another one, and you do it in the fashion in which the Rangers just met their demise, and, right or wrong, people are going to laugh."
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,197
    Flagg wrote:
    Ugh.

Well you do know your team and yes they will be back ...you make all great points ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    I've seen that PitchFX chart about 50 times today (thanks to all the Rangers fans on Facebook) and you can't put too much weight in that. That PitchFX tool is not set in stone, it isn't official, and it doesn't factor in all variables. brooksbaseball.net even says that it isn't the gospel and it is mainly to give people an idea. There were bad calls both ways, but I don't think either team got hosed.

There is one thing about that chart that is very telling though...
    Strikes.jpg