NCAA College Football -

Comments

• pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hydl7iMgZfM

Going back for the Big Ten Championship game. LET'S GO BADGERS!!!!!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,901
    Local station is claiming ESPN has reprted Urban to OSU. Claims Meyers agent has confrimed a deal.

So this tells me two things. OSU AD's office are scumbags.
    Two Urban Meyer is a GD LIAR!.

This whole thing leaves a bad tatse in my mouth.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Local station is claiming ESPN has reprted Urban to OSU. Claims Meyers agent has confrimed a deal.

BINGO! A classless move by a classless univeristy. Way to completely screw Luke Fickel who appeared to be the first classy coach you've had in sometime. Guy comes in to try and clean up Sweater Vest's shit storm and this is how you treat him? Going behind his back to find his replacement BEFORE the regular season is even over? Pathetic. And don't even get me started on Meyer, what a hypocrite. Way to blantantly lie. Nice to know the cheating and shadiness appear to be continuing at OSU. Can't say I'm surprised.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    mickeyrat wrote:

what am i missing mick? isn't this is a good thing that urban meyer, apparently, is about to be named coach of your squad? did you want them to keep fickell? :?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ources-say
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    pureoc wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

BINGO! A classless move by a classless univeristy. Way to completely screw Luke Fickel who appeared to be the first classy coach you've had in sometime. Guy comes in to try and clean up Sweater Vest's shit storm and this is how you treat him? Going behind his back to find his replacement BEFORE the regular season is even over? Pathetic. And don't even get me started on Meyer, what a hypocrite. Way to blantantly lie. Nice to know the cheating and shadiness appear to be continuing at OSU. Can't say I'm surprised.

everyone including fickel knew he was a one and done coach. i don't see why anyone would be suprised. we also know OSU has been talking to Urban for the past several weeks.

chill out man.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    huh? People are mad that Urban Meyer is the coach of their team? I don't get it.
    edited November 2011
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    huh? People are mad that Urban Meyer is the coach of their team? I don't get it.

Urban is considered a douche by some for the way he left Florida.

i dislike him because he coached BG and was at Florida in 06 :x

i'll be ok with it, if and when a championship comes back to the shoe
    Post edited by 81 on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I would've been happy if he became UConn's coach.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    mickeyrat wrote:

what am i missing mick? isn't this is a good thing that urban meyer, apparently, is about to be named coach of your squad? did you want them to keep fickell? :?

I just think this could have been handled more above board and straightforward. INSTEAD the man who appears to be the new head coach has started his OSU tenure as a publicly stated liar. Ummm, wasnt that part of why Tress was "asked" to resign?

Perhaps the press asked the wrong question. Perhaps the question should have been "Urban, has your AGENT been in contact with OSU and is working a deal on your behalf?" Technically speaking , I'm sure Meyer DIDNT speak directly with OSU. But I think you get my point.

My personal thoughts are "one and done " or not Fickell deserved a lot more respect.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    mickeyrat wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:

I just think this could have been handled more above board and straightforward. INSTEAD the man who appears to be the new head coach has started his OSU tenure as a publicly stated liar. Ummm, wasnt that part of why Tress was "asked" to resign?

Perhaps the press asked the wrong question. Perhaps the question should have been "Urban, has your AGENT been in contact with OSU and is working a deal on your behalf?" Technically speaking , I'm sure Meyer DIDNT speak directly with OSU. But I think you get my point.

My personal thoughts are "one and done " or not Fickell deserved a lot more respect.

it's college football. shadiness lurks literally EVERYWHERE in this sport.

no matter how they got to this point, osu ended up with one of the best in the business. that's a good thing. you guys should be in the playoff hunt every year with him at the helm....oh, woops. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    81 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Alright, hard feelings are one thing but I would be pretty damn excited if I were you. Dude is going to destroy the Big Ten, unfortunately. He already has a good QB for his offense too.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Alright, hard feelings are one thing but I would be pretty damn excited if I were you. Dude is going to destroy the Big Ten, unfortunately. He already has a good QB for his offense too.

just needs to teach Braxton how to hit a wide open reciever. :lol: Funny thing is, they say Miller is 6' 3" but he looks like a midget compared to what was there the last three years. I'm not worried about the offense. In a couple of years once Braxton matures, it will be very potent. At this point, it's the D that needs to be fixed. But OSU typically always has a good one, so it shouldn't be too difficult to fix.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    81 wrote:

also considered a douche here in utah...."I'm not going, I'm not going, I'm gone."
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    Urban took some time off, spent some time with his family, got his medical condition under control, and talked to a myriad of coaches. He's a program builder. He has not left jobs to go to other schools, but has taken steps up the ladder. This is his dream job at an opportune time. Urban's the face of the program now, and Luke will stay on as his direct assistant coach and be the heart.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Meyer: "My six years in Florida? That was my dream job." "I will always be a Gator."

must make all you buckeyes warm and fuzzy inside :lol:
    norm wrote:
    Meyer: "My six years in Florida? That was my dream job." "I will always be a Gator."

must make all you buckeyes warm and fuzzy inside :lol:

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    norm wrote:
    he left out the part about..."but then my boyfriend Tebow graduated and I couldn't get out of there fast enough because the cupboard was bare"

I give this guy 4 years before he "retires" again. While it will be nice to finally have an offense that doesn't look like a 1950's high school team, I am not a happy Buckeye today.
    Its official. He's a lyin ass Mofo. Met personally with Gene Smith to hammer out a deal on Nov 20th. Luke found out on WEDNESDAY a deal was done. Props to him for not laying down during Mich game.

So we have 3 yrs of a 6 yr deal before its all Meyer team and recruits. Gotta figure this years freshmen would be able to adapt a little easier to change in system.

http://www.buckeyextra.com/content/stor ... egins.html

Ohio State football: Meyer era begins

Saying he’s rejuvenated, Ohio native Urban Meyer has come out of coaching retirement to lead the football Buckeyes. Ohio State officials think his energy, and his pedigree, will lead the team back to glory.

Enlarge ImageKyle Robertson | DISPATCHUrban Meyer said that with the exception of the 2006 title game against OSU, "I've always followed the Buckeyes."

Contract details

Highlights of Urban Meyer’s contract to coach Ohio State:

Basic details

• Six-year deal (Nov. 28, 2011, through Jan. 31, 2018)

• $4 million in annual compensation, broken down as follows:

• Base compensation: $700,000

• Media, promotions and public relations:

$1.85 million

• Apparel/shoe/equipment: $1.4 million

• Retirement contribution: $40,000

• Coca-Cola appearance payment: $10,000

• Retention payments of $450,000, $750,000 and $1.2 million will be paid to Meyer if he is still employed as head coach on Jan. 31, 2014, Jan. 31, 2016, and Jan. 31, 2018, respectively

By Tim May
    The Columbus DispatchTuesday November 29, 2011 8:06 AM

Comments: 9

ShareThis

At $4 million a year, plus incentives, Urban Meyer is getting paid handsomely to become Ohio State’s 24th head football coach.

But at the root of the national championship-winning coach’s decision to end his retirement from coaching was one simple thought:

“It’s good to be home,” Meyer said.

Meyer signed a six-year contract yesterday to lead the Buckeyes, and OSU President E. Gordon Gee said he knew a homecoming was the school’s hook when it cast its line last week for the former Florida coach.

“I think he has great pride in Ohio, and I think he has great pride in Ohio State, and I think he wants to make sure we do well,” said Gee, who wasn’t at the news conference. “I could feel his passion about that.

“And I think from that point of view, this is a guy who is coming home. I rarely use the word home run, but I think we have hired the best coach in the country for Ohio State.”

Born in Toledo and raised in Ashtabula, Meyer, 47, grew up intrigued by The Game, Ohio State vs. Michigan, which at the time was an annual duel between coaches Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler. Meyer gained his first break in coaching as a graduate assistant under Earle Bruce at OSU in 1986 and ’87.

He earned his first head-coaching job at Bowling Green in 2001, where he engineered a stunning two-year run that catapulted him to two outstanding years at the University of Utah and then to greatness at the University of Florida.

His Gators team won national titles in 2006 — a win over Ohio State in Glendale, Ariz. — and in 2008 — over Oklahoma — before he retired from coaching after the 2010 season because of health and family concerns.

Now rejuvenated, he said, he gladly answered when Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith called for the first time on Nov. 20 to talk about the Ohio State job. They met Wednesday in Cincinnati, where Meyer and his family had gone to attend the funeral of his father that Friday. They hammered out the details of his contract this past weekend, with Meyer receiving a formal offer Sunday.

“As far back as I can remember, other than the 60 minutes in Glendale, I’ve always followed the Buckeyes,” Meyer said. He said his seasons at Florida were very fulfilling, but “this is my home state, and it’s great to be back home.”

Like everyone else associated with OSU football, Meyer is awaiting the NCAA Committee on Infractions’ final verdict in its investigation of the Buckeyes and the memorabilia-for-tattoos mess. OSU has forced out head coach Jim Tressel, had several players serve various suspensions, seen star quarterback Terrelle Pryor bolt for the NFL, put itself on a two-year probation, vacated the results of the 2010 season and, most recently, given up five scholarships over the next three seasons.

Meyer said Smith and Gee spelled out the situation before he took the job. He said they told him they are confident that no major violations are yet to be uncovered.

“I have great trust and faith in our athletic director and president … On my own, I did a little bit of research. But at the end of the day, I asked the same question you did: ‘Is there anything behind door No. 2, No. 3, No. 4?’ And I feel very confident and have great trust that there’s not.”

Florida fans and some columnists were blasting Meyer yesterday for his sudden return to coaching after having stepped away from the Florida job because of health and family concerns and, as he said then, “the state of college football.” But Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley preferred to reflect on the great things Meyer did for the Gators.

“He elevated our program, winning multiple national championships, and made a strong impact in this community,” Foley said.

“He is good for college football, and we knew he would return to the sidelines to coach again. We wish nothing but the best for him and his family.”

Smith said he wanted to move swiftly to bring Meyer on board. Meyer was a free agent, since he had been working this year as a football analyst for ESPN.

Smith said the current coaching staff, led by Luke Fickell, will run the team through whichever bowl it attends. The favorite at the moment is the Jan. 2 Gator Bowl in Jacksonville, Fla., which reportedly would like to match the 6-6 Buckeyes against 6-6 Florida.

Fickell will have a position on the 2012 coaching staff, Meyer said, but he said he was uncertain as to the capacity. Sources told The Dispatch it could be defensive coordinator. Meyer said the nine assistants on the current staff will be evaluated.

Meyer said his goal is to put together the best coaching staff in college football.

Smith indicated money would not be a roadblock. Two years ago, he spoke of not wanting to enter the big-money pursuit of coaches that goes on at some schools, especially in the Southeastern Conference, but he said yesterday he had reserved the right to change his mind.

“I benchmark our assistants, and as you knew, they were lower than most (of the elite programs in the country), and in two years two of our schools in our league really jumped up, and Michigan’s one of them,” Smith said. “So I said I have to change my thought process and my philosophy.”

Insiders told The Dispatch the new offensive and defensive coordinators will be paid in the $500,000 range, or higher, if that’s what it takes to retain top coaches.

OSU’s current offensive coordinator, Jim Bollman, and defensive coordinator, Jim Heacock, each earn in the high $200,000 range.

Meyer’s annual salary is for about $250,000 more than Tressel would have earned this season.

“He will do a great job,” Tressel texted The Dispatch. “Winners win.”

Meyer’s teams did that 104 times over his 10 seasons combined at BG, Utah and Florida.

“I just think of what his presence will mean on the sideline in Ohio Stadium, because of the success that he’s had — the guy has won a couple of national championships already, and he’s in his mid-40s,” said former OSU quarterback and current ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit.

“Of all the jobs out there, this is his dream, the one he has always wanted, probably the only job that would have brought him back out of retirement. And remember, he is one of the great recruiters in college football. So for a guy to be kind of living his dream on top of the success he’s already enjoyed at Bowling Green, Utah and especially Florida, it’s going to be scary how good he can be.”

Ohio State senior center Michael Brewster, who grew up in Orlando, Fla., agrees.

“I think he is going to have a great chance to be successful here, because there are a really good bunch of young guys coming back on this team for next year,” he said.

Chief among them is freshman quarterback Braxton Miller, about whom Meyer grew almost giddy.

“I just met Braxton, and I wanted to meet Braxton,” Meyer said. “All due respect to everybody in this room, that was the highlight of my day, not this.”

Westerville native Josh Harris, who starred at quarterback for Meyer at Bowling Green, recalls the coach being about much more than quarterback play.

“One of the things that coach Meyer instilled in us at Bowling Green, something most of us probably didn’t buy into until he came there, was that it was a big-time major-college program,” said Harris. “He had to really sell us that at Bowling Green, because many of us had felt we had gotten the shaft from either Ohio State or Michigan State or Michigan, the big school in your area that you’d wanted to go to.

“Now you fast forward that kind of approach to being at Ohio State, I could imagine what he is selling to those guys — talk about the legacy, talk about the history, talk about the tradition.

“He can do great things.”

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tmay@dispatch.com">tmay@dispatch.com</a><!-- e -->

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Mike Leach to Wash St. Pac-12 is reloading.

With Dick Rod and Leach...along with USC coming off probation, it's pretty clear that they will be 2nd best conference next year, beating out the Big 12 for the honor.

I cant wait to see Marquess Wilson in Leach's offense. The country is going to quickly realize what a beast this guy is
  • The Fixer wrote:

With Dick Rod and Leach...along with USC coming off probation, it's pretty clear that they will be 2nd best conference next year, beating out the Big 12 for the honor.

I cant wait to see Marquess Wilson in Leach's offense. The country is going to quickly realize what a beast this guy is
    That guy is a beast. Lots of talented WR in the Pac 12. Between him and Woods & Lee at USC. DAT at Oregon & Keenan from Cal.
    NERDS!
    The Fixer wrote:

That guy is a beast. Lots of talented WR in the Pac 12. Between him and Woods & Lee at USC. DAT at Oregon & Keenan from Cal.

yep. that guy williams at UW is nice as well. I think hes only a soph...he's gonna be good.
    Rumors that the big ten and/or the indy convention center are paying people to go to the game this weekend.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Rumors that the big ten and/or the indy convention center are paying people to go to the game this weekend.

Yeah I heard they may hand out some tickets for free because they don't want the stadium to look empty. Way to represent Sparty and Bucky.
    free tickets you say....

if they chip in gas money...i'll go.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Heisenberg wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah I heard they may hand out some tickets for free because they don't want the stadium to look empty. Way to represent Sparty and Bucky.

They should have done what the Pac-12 is doing with their first time title game and given one of the schools home field advantage. If USC wasn't on probation the game tomorrow night would be something to look forward to. Instead it's going to be a massacre.

Ohio/NOrthern Ill should be good though
    COLUMBUS -- Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller, who became the team's starter in the fourth game of the season, was named the Big Ten's freshman of the year on Wednesday.

Miller rushed for 695 yards and scored seven touchdowns while averaging nearly five yards per carry. He had a school record for quarterbacks with an 81-yard touchdown run in a win over Indiana.

His passing improved as the season progressed and Miller finished the regular season with 997 passing yards, good for another 11 touchdowns with just four interceptions. He completed 67-of-134 passes (50 percent).

"I look at this as a team award and so I also have to recognize my teammates, who put their trust in me and who helped me throughout this year on and off the field," Miller said.

Miller finished the season very strong, totaling 13 rushing and passing touchdowns over the final five games. He had more than 100 yards rushing three times in the last four games.

"It is truly an honor to win this award," Miller said. "And it is definitely a surprise. I have to thank God, first, for blessing me with my abilities, and I want to thank my parents for all their support through the years."

Miller will receive the newly named Thompson-Randle El Freshman of the Year Award Friday in Indianapolis as part of the activities associated with the Big Ten's first championship game, which takes place Saturday.

Miller joins an elite group of Buckeyes that have won the honor: running back Robert Smith (1990), offensive tackle Kory Stringer (1992), offensive tackle Orlando Pace (1994), linebacker Andy Katzenmoyer (1996), running back Maurice Clarett (2002), and quarterback Terrelle Pryor (2008).

hopefully, his career is as good as the others listed...well not Pryor :x
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

5534c6d0.png

norm wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

5534c6d0.png

81 wrote:
    free tickets you say....

if they chip in gas money...i'll go.

I'd meet you there if I didn't already have Buckeye Basketball tickets in the afternoon and Chris Cornell tickets that night. ;)