NCAA College Football -

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,530
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    It's what he didn't do that's the issue.He should've gone to the police but no he kept him on his staff and the abuse continued.

Aren't you supposed to go to your boss with those situations? You can say he should have fired him but I don't think it's his job to call authorities.

we're not talking about a guy being accused of stealing pencils from the supply closet cliff.

we're talking about his former coach of 3 decades raping a 10 year old in the showers that his team uses.

tell the ad, sure. but then just forget about it and act like nothing happened?? no way.
    www.myspace.com
    curley and schultz are stepping down.

wonder if they still have psu's "unconditional support."

by the way....i always wondered why sandusky retired so abruptly back in '99. maybe there were some rumblings about this stuff going on back then...
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    It's what he didn't do that's the issue.He should've gone to the police but no he kept him on his staff and the abuse continued.

Aren't you supposed to go to your boss with those situations? You can say he should have fired him but I don't think it's his job to call authorities.

we're not talking about a guy being accused of stealing pencils from the supply closet cliff.

we're talking about his former coach of 3 decades raping a 10 year old in the showers that his team uses.

tell the ad, sure. but then just forget about it and act like nothing happened?? no way.

i can somewhat understand not going to the authorities if you had a close relationship with the guy but continuing to allow the guy to have an office in the building and bring kids around still is unbelievable. if you knew there were at worst just rumors of this behavior wouldn't have you told Sandusky to get the fuck out and never come back? just like the catholic church leaders, swept it away and did nothing. pretty sickening stuff.

as for Paterno's role a lot would depend on what exactly he was told by McQuerry (reported assistant coach who saw the shower incident). either way this should be the last straw and the old man needs to step down at the end of the season.

and when will people get it through their heads that you cannot lie to a federal grand jury. they don't take that shit lightly and will prosecute you for it. morons.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Holy crap. Just got caught up on the Penn State debacle ... wow.

I've always loved Paterno, but to suspect this for almost a decade and allow the man to continue to use the Penn State facilities .... and know he is running a charity for children .... he may not be guilty by law, but I hope his conscious has already found himself guilty.

I suspect that Paterno was just in denial, especially if it was a good friend.

As for Sandusky, if guilty, I suspect he will soon have a reverse in roles when he goes to the big house ... and I'm not talking about Ann Arbor.
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i can somewhat understand not going to the authorities if you had a close relationship with the guy but continuing to allow the guy to have an office in the building and bring kids around still is unbelievable. if you knew there were at worst just rumors of this behavior wouldn't have you told Sandusky to get the fuck out and never come back? just like the catholic church leaders, swept it away and did nothing. pretty sickening stuff.

as for Paterno's role a lot would depend on what exactly he was told by McQuerry (reported assistant coach who saw the shower incident). either way this should be the last straw and the old man needs to step down at the end of the season.

and when will people get it through their heads that you cannot lie to a federal grand jury. they don't take that shit lightly and will prosecute you for it. morons.

if you have a close relationship with the guy, don't you approach him yourself and try to find out what the fuck was going on? sandusky kept an office at psu this whole time. it's not like he didn't have access to him.

given the investigation from '98, and sandusky's quick retirement in '99, that leads me to believe they may already have had an idea of what was going and were just hoping the problem would go away. if true, that is awful because it meant it left sandusky open to harming more children. lot of people to blame here unfortunately.
    www.myspace.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727

possibly? come on cliff. he could have done WAY more. technically, he did the minimum amount that was required of him. but if i were joe paterno and i was told that my former defensive coordinator of 30 years, who still has an office on campus, not far from mine, was raping a 10 year old kid in the the showers that my football team uses----you're damn right i would have done a whole lot more than just report it to the ad. and you're damn right i would have followed up and questioned why nothing was done about it.

and he didn't just hear a rumor. stop saying that. he heard from the guy who witnessed it first hand. a guy who a grand jury says is extremely credible. he was reporting it to his boss (paterno). this was clearly not a rumor.

this whole thing sickens me. absolutely sickens me. i couldn't even get through half of that grand jury testimony. it's like sandusky is a priest and the higher ups at psu are the cardinals sweeping these disgusting acts under the rug.

always been a penn state fan. always loved joe paterno. always was proud that it seemed like they always tried to do things the right way as opposed to other schools. but this obviously is worse than anything that has ever happened at any other school.

as much as i think joepa shares some of the blame for not doing as much as he could have to help this from happening to other kids, i'm still saddened that his legacy will be forever tarnished because of the actions of this despicable human being.

i am literally sick to my stomach.

I agree with you for the most part. I didn't read the grand jury testimony and I don't plan to. From what I have read I will agree that he could have done more, and probably should have. That does not make him the least bit guilty or a "scumbag" like people have suggested. He is a football coach, not a detective. That being said though, it is Curleys responsibility as to who is allowed to have an office and access to the athletic department, not Paternos. This man was not a coach of Paternos at the time. He did was he should have done, and reported what someone told him about someone who was not his employee to his boss.

And where does McQueary fall into all of this? From what I understand he was REALLY shaken up by what he saw, and he went to Paterno, his boss, just like Paterno went to his boss. McQueary is the one who witnessed it and he is still coaching there almost a decade later. McQueary did not go to authorities, he told his boss what he saw, Paterno elevated it to his boss. There is a lot of blame to go around in this, but it is not Paternos fault that this sick fuck did what he did.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    The Penn State coaching and athletic administration legal defense:

Monkey+See+Monkey+Do.jpg
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

possibly? come on cliff. he could have done WAY more. technically, he did the minimum amount that was required of him. but if i were joe paterno and i was told that my former defensive coordinator of 30 years, who still has an office on campus, not far from mine, was raping a 10 year old kid in the the showers that my football team uses----you're damn right i would have done a whole lot more than just report it to the ad. and you're damn right i would have followed up and questioned why nothing was done about it.

and he didn't just hear a rumor. stop saying that. he heard from the guy who witnessed it first hand. a guy who a grand jury says is extremely credible. he was reporting it to his boss (paterno). this was clearly not a rumor.

this whole thing sickens me. absolutely sickens me. i couldn't even get through half of that grand jury testimony. it's like sandusky is a priest and the higher ups at psu are the cardinals sweeping these disgusting acts under the rug.

always been a penn state fan. always loved joe paterno. always was proud that it seemed like they always tried to do things the right way as opposed to other schools. but this obviously is worse than anything that has ever happened at any other school.

as much as i think joepa shares some of the blame for not doing as much as he could have to help this from happening to other kids, i'm still saddened that his legacy will be forever tarnished because of the actions of this despicable human being.

I agree with you for the most part. I didn't read the grand jury testimony and I don't plan to. From what I have read I will agree that he could have done more, and probably should have. That does not make him the least bit guilty or a "scumbag" like people have suggested. He is a football coach, not a detective. That being said though, it is Curleys responsibility as to who is allowed to have an office and access to the athletic department, not Paternos. This man was not a coach of Paternos at the time. He did was he should have done, and reported what someone told him about someone who was not his employee to his boss.

And where does McQueary fall into all of this? From what I understand he was REALLY shaken up by what he saw, and he went to Paterno, his boss, just like Paterno went to his boss. McQueary is the one who witnessed it and he is still coaching there almost a decade later. McQueary did not go to authorities, he told his boss what he saw, Paterno elevated it to his boss. There is a lot of blame to go around in this, but it is not Paternos fault that this sick fuck did what he did.

i agree. it will be interesting/sad to hear all the info come out.

but i look at it this way though: if a coworker came to me and said he saw a man raping a little kid in the bathroom at our office, i think i would call the authorities in addition to calling my boss. or if my boss didn't call the police, i would feel as if it was my moral obligation to do so. or at least confront him myself. he knew the guy for 40 or 50 years.

again--it's not like he was violating some office policy. this was a sexual assualt on a kid. there's more of a responsibility on the people who know other than just informing each other's bosses in my opinion.
    www.myspace.com
  • According to the grand jury report, Joe Paterno did what he was legally bound to do. When an allegation of sexual abuse was made against assistant coach “emeritus” Jerry Sandusky, Paterno reported it to athletic director Tim Curley.

That’s all he’s legally required to do. Report it up the chain.

And apparently, that’s all he did. And that is outrageous. And pathetic. And immoral.

It is stunning that Paterno – who has always seemed so human, so caring, so upstanding – would do so little. How could he not defend little children?

It all happened in JoePa’s kingdom. And the buck stops there, on the desk of the 84-year-old legend. The man who has done so much for so many young men, so much for college football, so much for the football-loving people of Pennsylvania. The man who built a squeaky-clean football program, who was an icon held above all the other coaching riff-raff – you know, the men who would lie, cheat and steal to win a national title.

Paterno would never do any of that. His program was “honest.” Or so we thought.

Turns out, Paterno’s a coward who failed to confront the situation.

http://phillysportsdaily.com/columnists ... e-paterno/
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i agree. it will be interesting/sad to hear all the info come out.

but i look at it this way though: if a coworker came to me and said he saw a man raping a little kid in the bathroom at our office, i think i would call the authorities in addition to calling my boss. or if my boss didn't call the police, i would feel as if it was my moral obligation to do so. or at least confront him myself. he knew the guy for 40 or 50 years.

again--it's not like he was violating some office policy. this was a sexual assualt on a kid. there's more of a responsibility on the people who know other than just informing each other's bosses in my opinion.

I agree and I would have too, especially if it seemed like nothing had been done about it. But I am not going to pass judgement on Paterno as he did what he was responsible for doing and we don't know any other details. It's just fucking horrible and I really can't believe this is happening. Some dark days ahead.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    If it was Paterno's 10 year old grandson that was being raped by this guy, I'm sure he would've gone to a higher authority than he did. The whole lot of them are enablers for this monster. Joe Pa included. You may not think it's fair if Joe Pa gets fired or resigns because of this but it's the right thing to do. He did what was required instead of what was right and that's sad for someone of his stature.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • State police Commissioner Frank Noonan said, as far as state police can tell, Paterno fulfilled his legal requirement to report.

"But somebody has to question about what I would consider the moral requirements for a human being that knows of sexual things that are taking place with a child," Noonan said. "I think you have the moral responsibility, anyone. Not whether you're a football coach or a university president or the guy sweeping the building. I think you have a moral responsibility to call us."

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/201 ... abuse-case
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    State police Commissioner Frank Noonan said, as far as state police can tell, Paterno fulfilled his legal requirement to report.

"But somebody has to question about what I would consider the moral requirements for a human being that knows of sexual things that are taking place with a child," Noonan said. "I think you have the moral responsibility, anyone. Not whether you're a football coach or a university president or the guy sweeping the building. I think you have a moral responsibility to call us."

Well put Noonan!
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    norm wrote:

those make touch down jesus cry
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    I hate these alternate uniforms. They are all just awful
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Exactly. He didn't know anything, he heard something. I agree that this is sickening, but he heard a rumor and told his boss. He is in a much higher position than I am, but if I heard something like this in the workplace, it is my responsibility to tell my boss/HR. Could he have done more? Possibly. But you can't really say he is a scumbag for the way he handled it.

I am not taking this situation lightly either, it is a horrible horrible thing and if true, Sandusky deserves to spend the rest of his life rotting in prison but Paterno heard a rumor and told his employer. And keep in mind Sandusky was NOT an employee of Paterno at the time or a coach, he was already retired. It was the schools responsibility to figure this shit out, not Paternos.

i am literally sick to my stomach.[/quote]
    :clap::clap::clap::clap: We don't often agree, but man, is the bomb.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    State police Commissioner Frank Noonan said, as far as state police can tell, Paterno fulfilled his legal requirement to report.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: :thumbup:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    so who is the next coach at PSU?

I'm guessing urban meyer to Ohio St and Greg Schiano to PSU
    The Fixer wrote:
    I'm guessing urban meyer to Ohio St

:?

he irks me.

maybe because he was the coach of BG, my school's biggest rival and then the coach of FL who beat the my lifelong team in the BCS bowl. :x

i'd rather keep Luke around for anouther year or two....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 4,957
    81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

he irks me.

maybe because he was the coach of BG, my school's biggest rival and then the coach of FL who beat the my lifelong team in the BCS bowl. :x

Finally, I agree with 81 on something sports related.
    Heisenberg wrote:
    81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

he irks me.

i'll be happy to tell you everything you need to know about sports. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BIG thanks to Purdue and Nebraska today. Coudln't have gone much better for my Badgers, back to controlling our own destiny for the Big Ten Championship game!! No excuse to not get to Indy now. Really hoping I get to go since I've got tickets!! Let's go BADGERS!!!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • I'm not a big college football fan but I went to my second Division 1 game today, the Rutgers-Army game, got free tickets at Yankee Stadium for donating used coats. I enjoyed the game immensely, especially with the all the military stuff with Army.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    watched my utes beat ucla in the snow last night.

ucla is worse than I thought :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    This conversation came up at the bar last night about the college bowl system. Maybe it was just drunk talk. I'll say , this isn't me trying to support the current system or anything like that was just a point that came up that I thought was interesting.

When you compare who wins the college national championship to who wins the world series or superbowl, the college system almost always crowns the best team for the full season whereas the other two don't and often just crown the hottest team at the time. Obviously this is the nature of the playoffs, but I thought it was an interesting point that the best team is champion more often college football than pro sports. We didn't really talk about basketball, both pro and college, so I would have to think about that.

Definitely not a vote for the current system, just an interesting thought.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,903
    Heisenberg wrote:
    81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

he irks me.

I think Luke is the guy to get OSU past this shit from the past decade. From Clarett on Pryor things werent as bright and shiny as Tress seemed to make them out to be.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    quote]

Finally, I agree with 81 on something sports related.[/quote]
    I think Luke is the guy to get OSU past this shit from the past decade. From Clarett on Pryor things werent as bright and shiny as Tress seemed to make them out to be.[/quote]

Posted this awhile back and didn't get an answer, but can you OSU fans explain to me why guys who were suspended due to violatioins last year and were then caught again with violations this year are still on the team? Shouldn't they be kicked off the team?
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,903
    pureoc wrote:
    quote]

I think Luke is the guy to get OSU past this shit from the past decade. From Clarett on Pryor things werent as bright and shiny as Tress seemed to make them out to be.[/quote]

Posted this awhile back and didn't get an answer, but can you OSU fans explain to me why guys who were suspended due to violatioins last year and were then caught again with violations this year are still on the team? Shouldn't they be kicked off the team?[/quote]
    Good question. I didnt see it before.

Did these breaks of the rules rise to that level? Personally I dont think so either individually OR collectively for each player.
    In terms of "tattoogate" can you really fault the player beyond the imposed suspensions, for what amounted to tacit approval from the institution?
    Now Jamal Berry on the other hand , rightly HAS been suspended awaiting legal verdict on the alledged assualts. First one on campus he was given benefit of the doubt. after the second and subsequest filing of charges ,he sits. As he should. DAmn shame too , cuz the dude has talent. If the allegations are true, its a waste. But he had a choice.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14