NCAA College Football -

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,727
    81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    norm wrote:
    i'm in the minority...i like it the way it is (although this conference realignment is silly)...the rankings etc make the regular season mean something...lose 1 game, chances are you won't have a chance at the nc...if you go to a playoff season, a team with a losing record (i'm looking at you seahawks) can make the playoffs...lame

I don't see how anyone can like the nfl over cfb. no contest. game atmosphere, importance of regular season, on-field product, tv broadcasts (namely number of commercials), tv game options, etc. no comparison IMO.

saturdays are infinitely more enjoyable than sundays

100% agree

you have games from 11am central until like 1am central.....always a game on to watch.

i can barely watch an nfl game that doesn't involve the Bears, but i can watach just about any college game, as long as they play some sort of D and don't run that god aweful spread

speaking of the spread, love all the different styles of offense, from teh buckeys current smash mouth I formation, to the triple option, to more wide open passing attacks

Completely agree. I don't watch the NFL outside of the Giants for the most part. It's horrible. I'll watch a big game or NFC east games here or there, but for the most part its Giants then onto other Sunday things. Saturdays are the best though, college football is so much better
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    i'm in the minority...i like it the way it is (although this conference realignment is silly)...the rankings etc make the regular season mean something...lose 1 game, chances are you won't have a chance at the nc...if you go to a playoff season, a team with a losing record (i'm looking at you seahawks) can make the playoffs...lame

and you would be wrong.

how many times did a team get left out of the title game even tho they deserved a shot?

give me a 4 team playoff..i don't care, something. top 8 works for me as well.....

it's not perfect by a long shot but i still prefer the rankings...like i said, i'm in the minority and don't expect anyone to agree with me :)

I am with you for the most part on this because of the Rose Bowl and other big bowls like that. No fucking way that game can become a semifinal game. For all the uproar, the best team in college football usually wins and the two best teams ususally play each other.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,530
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:

and you would be wrong.

how many times did a team get left out of the title game even tho they deserved a shot?

give me a 4 team playoff..i don't care, something. top 8 works for me as well.....

it's not perfect by a long shot but i still prefer the rankings...like i said, i'm in the minority and don't expect anyone to agree with me :)

I am with you for the most part on this because of the Rose Bowl and other big bowls like that. No fucking way that game can become a semifinal game. For all the uproar, the best team in college football usually wins and the two best teams ususally play each other.

yes fucking way. :lol:

take away your psu/big ten allegiance. just look at it objectively. the way this sport crowns a champion is beyond stupid.
    www.myspace.com

take away your psu/big ten allegiance. just look at it objectively. the way this sport crowns a champion is beyond stupid.

I think we had this conversation before. I definitely get what you are saying and am not completely opposed to it, but I do think the two best teams play each other almost all the time.

I just think there is too much money involved for the bowls to make them a semifinal. Say the Rose Bowl becomes a semifinal most years. Are they going to be able to sell 50,000 tickets to an east coast team to only have them have to fly to say Arizona the next week for the Championship? Money will be lost on the parade, advertising and the game in general. I am not saying this is right, but I just don't see these powerful bowls going for it. And like I said, I think they get it right for the most part.

I am not a huge fan of the realignment though.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I think we had this conversation before. I definitely get what you are saying and am not completely opposed to it, but I do think the two best teams play each other almost all the time.

I just think there is too much money involved for the bowls to make them a semifinal. Say the Rose Bowl becomes a semifinal most years. Are they going to be able to sell 50,000 tickets to an east coast team to only have them have to fly to say Arizona the next week for the Championship? Money will be lost on the parade, advertising and the game in general. I am not saying this is right, but I just don't see these powerful bowls going for it. And like I said, I think they get it right for the most part.

realignment is a direct result of the bcs being so ridiculous though.

i don't know how a 4 or 6 team playoff system would play out. obviously the money situation would have to be addressed. i think if you have something like that, though, you'd have so much more interest in these semi final bowl games though. they would actually mean something. both teams would actually have a shot to win the national championship. penn state has a shot at the rose bowl this year. who the fuck cares? they stink. i understand the tradition and everything that goes with it...but it's a glorified exhibition game that, for the most part, only gamblers care about other than fans of the two teams involved.

"I do think the two best teams play each other almost all the time."
    ---you shouldn't have to hope the computer gets it right each year. a playoff system of the top 4-6 teams would be much more fair and enjoyable to everyone involved.
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i don't know how a 4 or 6 team playoff system would play out. obviously the money situation would have to be addressed. i think if you have something like that, though, you'd have so much more interest in these semi final bowl games though. they would actually mean something. both teams would actually have a shot to win the national championship. penn state has a shot at the rose bowl this year. who the fuck cares? they stink. i understand the tradition and everything that goes with it...but it's a glorified exhibition game that, for the most part, only gamblers care about other than fans of the two teams involved.

---you shouldn't have to hope the computer gets it right each year. a playoff system of the top 4-6 teams would be much more fair and enjoyable to everyone involved.

It absolutely is and I am definitely not a big fan of that. The more I think about Syracuse in the ACC, the less I like it.

Yeah, I definitley hear what you're saying, and I guess it would definitely get there over time. It's a good point that there would more interest than just fans of the teams playing in the game. I don't know. I think it is a lot more complicated than people think. I am sure it will happen eventually, and I will be fine with it, but I guess I just don't have as much of a problem with the current system as the rest of the country.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

It absolutely is and I am definitely not a big fan of that. The more I think about Syracuse in the ACC, the less I like it.

Yeah, I definitley hear what you're saying, and I guess it would definitely get there over time. It's a good point that there would more interest than just fans of the teams playing in the game. I don't know. I think it is a lot more complicated than people think. I am sure it will happen eventually, and I will be fine with it, but I guess I just don't have as much of a problem with the current system as the rest of the country.

i'm a baseball purist. you're a college football purist. :lol:

think psu has a shot today?
    www.myspace.com

Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

I would put my money on Penn state being undefeated in the big ten after
    today. Ha
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

I would put my money on Penn state being undefeated in the big ten after
    today. Ha

woops..haha that shows my interest level in college football this year.

i was watching a comcast sportsnet classic game yesterday with psu and nebraska from back in the 80's. love old school shit like that.
    www.myspace.com
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Computers should have no say in who plays for a championship in any sport EVER, it's a fucking joke, settle this shit on the field.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Roll Tide
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    what the fuck....bucks? :wtf:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    I hate both teams, but Michigan sure got screwed by the reffs in the Iowa game. Knee was down in the endzone and he had possesion, how is that not a TD?
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
    Doubt anyone else is watching but Craig James mentioned that he listened to a little Hank Williams Jr on his flight in to Madison for the WI/ Purdue game. Pretty sure ESPN/ABC doesn't want you mentioning Hank Williams Jr.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    imalive wrote:

i slept thru most of the second half and missed the 1st qtr....but it was nice to see Braxton make a few nice throws in the 2nd

Hyde is going to be a beast.

just looking at the stats...3 players over a hundered yards rushing....Woody would be so proud
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    pureoc wrote:
    Computers should have no say in who plays for a championship in any sport EVER, it's a fucking joke, settle this shit on the field.

Computers don't have a say....they are just doing the calculation of the programmer.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    81 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

i slept thru most of the second half and missed the 1st qtr....but it was nice to see Braxton make a few nice throws in the 2nd

just looking at the stats...3 players over a hundered yards rushing....Woody would be so proud
    I thought you hated OSU :?

ground game was stellar.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited November 2011
    imalive wrote:
    81 wrote:
    imalive wrote:

I thought you hated OSU :?

ground game was stellar.

:?:

i hate MI.

Pureoc hates teh buckeyes.

i've been watching the buckeyes for the last 25 years.
    Post edited by 81 on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    pureoc wrote:

looks like Wisconsin finally found a team they can handle :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    quote]

:?:

i hate MI.

Pureoc hates teh buckeyes.

i've been watching the buckeyes for the last 25 years.[/quote]

You've got one thing right! Of course Indiana teased me a little today and then decided to be Indiana.
    Northwestern finally pulls off a big win this season. they had been pretty disapointing so far this year..

and why the hell is ND Wake Forest the abc prime time game. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

awful.

f nd
    www.myspace.com
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    81 wrote:

awful.

f nd

really? i have oka st /ks...good game
    norm wrote:
    81 wrote:

awful.

f nd

really? i have oka st /ks...good game

really...must be regional on abc tonight since they didn't get teh lsu/bama game
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    81 wrote:
    really...must be regional on abc tonight since they didn't get teh lsu/bama game

well you're in nd's market
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I'm sure they probably don't care since most everybody who cares about college football is probably watching the Alabama LSU game. This is the most hyped regular season college football game I can remember in my lifetime. It's not really doing much to live up to the hype, but I am watching. For some reason.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    How many Australians are playing in this LSU/Alabama game. So far I know Alabama has a defensive end, and LSU has a punter. That's 2 more Australians than I expected. Are there any more?
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    Glad I didn't waste any time watching it. 9-6, game of the century my ass!! I need some TD's, but that's just me.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    pureoc wrote:
    Glad I didn't waste any time watching it. 9-6, game of the century my ass!! I need some TD's, but that's just me.
    Man it was a great game, but that's just me.
    #FHP
    Horos wrote:
    pureoc wrote:
    Man it was a great game, but that's just me.

K St - OK St was way more my style. Light up that scoreboard!!!