Options

NCAA College Football -

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,389
    Newch91 wrote:
    Soon the BCS title game will be after the Super Bowl.

a month of exhibition games finally leads to tonight. the nation waits with baited breath! :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,587
    that was a hell of an entertaining game. as predicted, I never could decide who I was rooting for :roll:
    oregon pisses me off for having all that phil knight money and I wasn't too happy with fairley, auburn's "dirty" player. fucker sure is good, tho.
    crazy how dyer(?) rolled over that guy on what was pretty much the decisive run.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    watched maybe 5 minutes of game time.

sad that Bowl season has come to this.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    81 wrote:
    watched maybe 5 minutes of game time.

sad that Bowl season has come to this.

too bad...you missed a pretty good game
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    just couldn't get into this years bowl season

soooooooo

who thinks TCU could hang with Auburn. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    I think TCU would have been competitive against either of those teams.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options

it's a shame we will never know.

fuckin BCS.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    and people tuned in.

fuck

game posted some good ratings numbers. i was hoping for bad numbers to hopefully spur a playoff.

:(
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:

it's a shame we will never know.

fuckin BCS.

exactly, who know who would have won with an 8-16 team playoff.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    GREAT game on Monday night but can somebody tell why does Auburn use the term *War Eagle*? I thought they were the Tigers or is this term similar to the term Roll Tide from University of Alabama ?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,820
    g under p wrote:
    GREAT game on Monday night but can somebody tell why does Auburn use the term *War Eagle*? I thought they were the Tigers or is this term similar to the term Roll Tide from University of Alabama ?

Peace

Roll Tide I get because they're the Crimson Tide. The elephant with 'Bama is what I need an explanation on, so I think that's more like War Eagle.

I don't know what the War Eagle thing is totally, but I know the campus has some huge eagle monument there. Probably something to do about being a rebel in the south or something....I'm sure good 'ol wikipedia has something.
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    81 wrote:
    and people tuned in.

fuck

game posted some good ratings numbers. i was hoping for bad numbers to hopefully spur a playoff.

:(

stubhub said that the national champ game was the most demanded ticket in the site's history. Up to game time the cheapest tickets were going for around $3,000.

Great game. I hate the BCS too, but they got it right this year. The two best teams matched up. TCU was great this year, but their schedule wasn't good enough to deserve a shot to play in the title game.
  • Options
    Cam Newton made Auburn...without him they would've lost four or five games almost certainly.
    If they had not attempted to get a payday from Mississippi State the Bulldogs quite possibly could have been in the title game instead of Auburn....and I hate State. Simply put, Auburn was a middle-of-the-road SEC team without Newton...just like State was. And Auburn's defense was very suspect...in the SEC.

Everyone else in the country needs to get with the program and realize that if they're going to try to run with and beat the big boys from the dirty south that they have to play defese. Oregon would've been damn luck to average 19 points a game with an SEC schedule instead of racking up the points in the defenseless PAC-10

Five in a row....more to come
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    g under p wrote:

Peace

Roll Tide I get because they're the Crimson Tide. The elephant with 'Bama is what I need an explanation on, so I think that's more like War Eagle.

I don't know what the War Eagle thing is totally, but I know the campus has some huge eagle monument there. Probably something to do about being a rebel in the south or something....I'm sure good 'ol wikipedia has something.
    I checked wiki and found nothing...this is the best I came up with, which I dont know if I'm buying:

One of the most asked about questions about Auburn football is "Do we have two mascots?" No is the answer. Auburn University has only one mascot- the roaring tiger The eagle is a ritual that is a part of Auburn's famous battle cry, Warrrrr Eagle. It started in 1892 at an Auburn vs. Georgia game. Auburn was losing terribly at that game. A fan in the stands had an eagle who broke free and started circling the stadium and before we knew it everyone in the stands started to yell War Eagle| An Auburn fan had brought his eagle to the stadium, which broke free and began to make rounds above the stadium, which prompted Auburn fans to yell- WARR Eagle}. The cheering pumped up the Auburn players and we ended up winning the game. Now before every game, our eagle flies around the stadium while all the fans yell War Eagle.

Who brings a fuckin eagle to a football game; 1892 or not?!?!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    Cam Newton made Auburn...without him they would've lost four or five games almost certainly.
    If they had not attempted to get a payday from Mississippi State the Bulldogs quite possibly could have been in the title game instead of Auburn....and I hate State. Simply put, Auburn was a middle-of-the-road SEC team without Newton...just like State was. And Auburn's defense was very suspect...in the SEC.

Everyone else in the country needs to get with the program and realize that if they're going to try to run with and beat the big boys from the dirty south that they have to play defese. Oregon would've been damn luck to average 19 points a game with an SEC schedule instead of racking up the points in the defenseless PAC-10

funny that you pump up the SEC defense when auburn's defense (especially their secondary) sucked all year.

I will never understand the rooting for conference bull shit. If I like Tennessee, Alabama, or LSU there is no way in hell I am pulling for auburn to win it all.
  • Options
    I don't like any specific team, but I'll definitely watch SEC football. The rest I can't stand. It's the closes thing to being professional football - AAAA NFL teams. But yeah, for the most part, I can't stand college football. Except for betting purposes.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,261
    cheating does pay. take bets on what year they take away the title from Auburn? i'll say 2016
  • Options
    I don't like any specific team, but I'll definitely watch SEC football. The rest I can't stand. It's the closes thing to being professional football - AAAA NFL teams. But yeah, for the most part, I can't stand college football. Except for betting purposes.

no doubt that it's the best conference year in and year out. I just don't understand the pro-SEC garbage by fans of SEC teams.

It would be like Eagles fans rooting for the cowboys or giants in the Super Bowl. Would never fucking happen
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

no doubt that it's the best conference year in and year out. I just don't understand the pro-SEC garbage by fans of SEC teams.

It would be like Eagles fans rooting for the cowboys or giants in the Super Bowl. Would never fucking happen

Yeah, absolutely. Weird.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

Not sure how to explain it. College is different I guess, I despise Ohio State, but I want the the Big 10(twelve) to do well in bowl games against other conferences to make the conference look better. Rivalries ahve developed between conferences as well as schools. Kind of how the ACC and the Big East argue over who is the best basketball conference.

I hate the AFC north and some other teams and will root for them to lose every time, in any game. But I still like that the Steelers and the Ravens make up two of the AFC's best conference and divisional teams every year. If it s the Jets vs the Ravens next week, I am done with football until the draft in April.

or maybe it is because in the South, SEC is bigger than the NFL.
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    If they had not attempted to get a payday from Mississippi State the Bulldogs quite possibly could have been in the title game instead of Auburn....and I hate State. Simply put, Auburn was a middle-of-the-road SEC team without Newton...just like State was. And Auburn's defense was very suspect...in the SEC. Also, if Auburn had been playing a Pac-10 schedule, it's defense wouldn't have appeared to be so shitty

funny that you pump up the SEC defense when auburn's defense (especially their secondary) sucked all year.

I will never understand the rooting for conference bull shit. If I like Tennessee, Alabama, or LSU there is no way in hell I am pulling for auburn to win it all.
    My point was that Auburn's defense (very suspect as I put it) wasn't good and yet they were still capable of shutting down the 50-point per game Ducks. Even the shittiest defenses in the SEC are capable of shutting them down.
    And I tout the SEC defense as a whole because it is proven to be true virtually every year that the Big 10, Big 12 and Pac 10 are incapable of scoring on them.
    I'll take the time to look up all the examples just the last five years if you want me to....well, no I won't, but it is definitely a fact.

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    If they had not attempted to get a payday from Mississippi State the Bulldogs quite possibly could have been in the title game instead of Auburn....and I hate State. Simply put, Auburn was a middle-of-the-road SEC team without Newton...just like State was. And Auburn's defense was very suspect...in the SEC. Also, if Auburn had been playing a Pac-10 schedule, it's defense wouldn't have appeared to be so shitty

My point was that Auburn's defense (very suspect as I put it) wasn't good and yet they were still capable of shutting down the 50-point per game Ducks. Even the shittiest defenses in the SEC are capable of shutting them down.
    And I tout the SEC defense as a whole because it is proven to be true virtually every year that the Big 10, Big 12 and Pac 10 are incapable of scoring on them.
    I'll take the time to look up all the examples just the last five years if you want me to....well, no I won't, but it is definitely a fact.

I hear ya. the pro-SEC crap from fans of all teams in the conference is still dumb though. I could never root for the enemies of the philly teams.
  • Options
    I'm sure it does seem silly to folks elsewhere but obviously college football is king in the south and I guess it is more of a matter of pride for fans collectively for the conference to perform well. I am guilty of it to some extent but that typically only goes for the best of the bunch.
    I loathe Alabama, Auburn, State, Tennessee, Georgia, Tennessee and Arkansas but I'll root for any one of them in the right situation.
    I never have and never will root for the Yankees as a Sox fan, so I do understand the mindset of people where the professional teams are what matters most and find no problem with that. College ball is just different I guess

• Options
    I'm sure it does seem silly to folks elsewhere but obviously college football is king in the south and I guess it is more of a matter of pride for fans collectively for the conference to perform well. I am guilty of it to some extent but that typically only goes for the best of the bunch.
    I loathe Alabama, Auburn, State, Tennessee, Georgia, Tennessee and Arkansas but I'll root for any one of them in the right situation.
    I never have and never will root for the Yankees as a Sox fan, so I do understand the mindset of people where the professional teams are what matters most and find no problem with that. College ball is just different I guess

a lot of my buddies are penn st alumns (my wife too). I can tell you that they would never root for ohio st or michigan in the natl championship.

you're from the south and you're a red sox fan? ugh
  • Options
    Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    edited January 2011
    The Fixer wrote:

a lot of my buddies are penn st alumns (my wife too). I can tell you that they would never root for ohio st or michigan in the natl championship.

Yep afraid so....it just happened to me somehow when I was a kid....the good Lord blessed me.
    Get this too....I'm a lifelong Ole Miss fan but attended State. I gave my student ticket away and bought tickets to sit in the Ole Miss section when the rivalry game was in Starkville :D
    Post edited by Yellow Ledbelly on

• Options
    The Fixer wrote:

Yep afraid so....it just happened to me somehow when I was a kid....the good Lord blessed me

More like cursed. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Get this too....I'm a lifelong Ole Miss fan but attended State. I gave my student ticket away and bought tickets to sit in the Ole Miss section when the rivalry game was in Starkville :D

you've got issues

why didn't you go to ole miss?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    i get the pro sec thing. i root for all the big ten teams (expect michigan) when they play out of confrence, so i get the confrence pride thing. But to chant SEC at sporting events, that's pretty lame and i don't get that.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,389
    81 wrote:
    i get the pro sec thing. i root for all the big ten teams (expect michigan) when they play out of confrence, so i get the confrence pride thing. But to chant SEC at sporting events, that's pretty lame and i don't get that.

totally agree with this.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    BamaPJFanBamaPJFan Posts: 410
    g under p wrote:

Peace

Crimson Tide nickname: The team was known as the "Thin Red Line", the "Varsity", or the "Crimson White" until 1906. Crimson Tide came about after the 1906 Alabama vs. Auburn game when Bama came into the game a huge underdog and ended up tying Auburn by a score of 6-6. That 1906 game was played on a very red muddy field and the sports writer for the Birmingham newspaper, Hugh Roberts, referred to Alabama as the "Crimson Tide". The rest is history.

Elephant mascot: Following the 1930 game against Ole Miss, Everett Stupper, a sports writer for the Atlanta Journal made the following famous description about the Alabama team: "At the end of the quarter, the earth started to tremble, there was a distant rumble that continued to grow. Some excited fan in the stands bellowed, 'Hold your horses, the elephants are coming', and out stamped the Alabama varsity. It was the first time that I had seen it and the size of the entire eleven nearly knocked me cold, men that I had seen play last year looking like they had nearly doubled in size."

Sports writers continued to refer to Alabama as the "Red Elephants" afterwards, referring to their crimson jerseys. That 1930 Alabama team would roll to a 24-0 victory over Washington State in the Rose Bowl.

Despite this, the University of Alabama did not officially adopt the elephant mascot until the 1979 season.
    United Center (Chicago): 8/24/09
    Gibson Amphitheatre (Los Angeles): 10/7/09