The wedding thread

Comments

• Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    Getting married in a little over a month, not even sure of the venue yet.

:D
    so come on then... why is this the case? Is dissidentwoman panicking? Are you going for a simple thing or do you have a lot to do in the next few weeks?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
    We're both off next Monday and Tuesday. Might actually start the wedding ring shopping :D . Planning a trip to the jewellery quarter in Birmingham. Anyone know how it works? Or know of any recommended shops? I have not got a clue :oops:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life

• Haha! Thanks! :D Although I do really like those... you couldn't be further away from our cake :lol:

My friend had a Corpse Bride topper on a chocolate cake at her wedding 5 years ago, looked lovely so it did :D
    I've asked my brother to make the cake :D I think he's terrified lol but I know he would do an amazing job if he figures out where to start. Even if it's a mess, I reckon it will be great.

For flowers, we haven't really got a budget :oops: so I might just buy my own bouquet and improvise with the rest. Anyone got any suggestions? :oops: I was in Italy a couple of weeks ago and there were a couple of weddings and they had this netting all over the place tied into bows and it looked lovely and really simple and classy so I might do something like that.

Has your brother made cakes before? If not he needs to get practicing! :lol: Our cake is part being made by my mum. She makes the meanest fruit cake so she's doing the bottom 10" layer and then we're having a professional make the other two layers and icing the whole thing.

Hmm... Have you found pictures of this kind of thing on t'interwebs? I can't envisage what kind of thing you're talking about :oops: Do you know what kind of bouquet you want? I was amazed at how much those things can be sold for! :o
    Our flower budget isn't huge either so we're going for more of an item on the tables for centre pieces instead of floral arrangements. Some elements of the table decorations with be recycled and handmade too to save money.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    8 or so months to go for us too.

i think at this point all we need is the limo and wedding bands....and to send out the invites. all the major stuff is pretty much done though. but i keep on thinking we've forgotten something.
    www.myspace.com
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,138
    I love these cakes -
    http://www.choccywoccydoodah.com/images ... tem29.html

My friend had a profiterole mountain as hers (her wedding had a bit of a mountain theme, names of the tables etc as her other half proposed at the top of Snowdon)

Typically, I have been invited to two weddings on the same day - 18th September, anyway both brides have family/friends doing the cake.

On the flowers, then it really depends on what you want, I've had friends do them themselves with flowers ordered from a florist, and others who have had bouquets made etc. My best mate had the most gorgeous dark red roses, the were stunning in a tightly packed hand tied bouquet/posey. We all had the same, hers the largest, mine slightly smaller, the next bridesmaids slightly smaller and the flower girls smaller again. Another friend had orange lilies but had her bridesmaid carrying orange gerberas in a posy her sister made up.
    I love David Austen roses, so it is a bit of a dream of mine, if and when, to have something containing his roses.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    This is my friends wedding a few years ago, well a few of the masses of photos I took -
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1 ... d0dc48d72c
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
    dottles wrote:
    I love these cakes -

My friend had a profiterole mountain as hers (her wedding had a bit of a mountain theme, names of the tables etc as her other half proposed at the top of Snowdon)

Typically, I have been invited to two weddings on the same day - 18th September, anyway both brides have family/friends doing the cake.

On the flowers, then it really depends on what you want, I've had friends do them themselves with flowers ordered from a florist, and others who have had bouquets made etc. My best mate had the most gorgeous dark red roses, the were stunning in a tightly packed hand tied bouquet/posey. We all had the same, hers the largest, mine slightly smaller, the next bridesmaids slightly smaller and the flower girls smaller again. Another friend had orange lilies but had her bridesmaid carrying orange gerberas in a posy her sister made up.
    I love David Austen roses, so it is a bit of a dream of mine, if and when, to have something containing his roses.
    That cake is brilliant :shock: . We get a chocolate fountain anyway whether we want it or not so we probably don't even need a cake but I spose I should have one :oops:

I've heard of people buying the flowers in a market that morning and having the market people put together a bouquet. I'm gonna find out what my options are there.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,178
    Hey congrats to all who are taking the plunge no advice from me except enjoy eachother like it's the last day together :) shit i've been married so long i'm about to start a" READY TO RETIRE " thread :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

dottles wrote:
    This is my friends wedding a few years ago, well a few of the masses of photos I took -
    aww it looks like a lovely day... really like the bouquet.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Hey congrats to all who are taking the plunge no advice from me except enjoy eachother like it's the last day together :) shit i've been married so long i'm about to start a" READY TO RETIRE " thread :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    :mrgreen: Thanks Jose... that's the plan. I just can't wait to get that dress on me :mrgreen: oh and marry him :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    dottles wrote:
    I love these cakes -

That cake is brilliant :shock: . We get a chocolate fountain anyway whether we want it or not so we probably don't even need a cake but I spose I should have one :oops:

I've heard of people buying the flowers in a market that morning and having the market people put together a bouquet. I'm gonna find out what my options are there.

They are amazing cakes, and scrummy :D
    Another girl in work is having giant cupcakes with fancy frosting and stuff from a company near us called Tilly Mint - http://www.tillymintbakery.com/

Those photos you took Helen, that setting is amazing! The bows look like they are made of wire mesh, you can get hole of rolls of that in various colours/widths I use it for Xmas pressies (I use material/voile to wrap odd shapes and bottles and then tie it into place with the material wire mesh stuff)
  • dottles wrote:

Great photos :thumbup:

The only thing I can't understand is, why is red sucha popular colour for weddings now-a-days? I thought red and white was supposed to signify blood and bandages? :?

I LOVE choccywoccydoodah cakes but they're meant to be rather expeno :? My favourite is the "Al You Need is Love" cake I think it's a work or art :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

Oh wow! :o That looks like it would be one hell of a sun-kissed romantic wedding :mrgreen:

Talking of cars, are you having one Helen?
    This was where the actual ceremony took place... don't worry, we were climbing the castle anyway... I wasn't just being weird following weddings around :D

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6823951&id=648930914&ref=fbx_album

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6823951&id=648930914&ref=fbx_album#!/photo.php?pid=6824024&id=648930914&ref=fbx_album

It really was beautiful... BUT we went to that town for two day trips and saw three weddings :oops: and by the third one I was bored... seemed like a bit of a conveyor belt. They got married and got into the golf cart and then took pics for half an hour and then all got on this boat for a trip around the lake:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6824048&id=648930914&ref=fbx_album
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life

• Oh wow! :o That looks like it would be one hell of a sun-kissed romantic wedding :mrgreen:

This was where the actual ceremony took place... don't worry, we were climbing the castle anyway... I wasn't just being weird following weddings around :D

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6823951&id=648930914&ref=fbx_album#!/photo.php?pid=6824024&id=648930914&ref=fbx_album

It really was beautiful... BUT we went to that town for two day trips and saw three weddings :oops: and by the third one I was bored... seemed like a bit of a conveyor belt. They got married and got into the golf cart and then took pics for half an hour and then all got on this boat for a trip around the lake:

Can't view them Hels :?

dottles wrote:

They are amazing cakes, and scrummy :D
    Another girl in work is having giant cupcakes with fancy frosting and stuff from a company near us called Tilly Mint - http://www.tillymintbakery.com/

Those photos you took Helen, that setting is amazing! The bows look like they are made of wire mesh, you can get hole of rolls of that in various colours/widths I use it for Xmas pressies (I use material/voile to wrap odd shapes and bottles and then tie it into place with the material wire mesh stuff)
    That was Lake Garda... really really beautiful place. Oooh wire mesh? You may as well have been speaking German there :mrgreen: so how would you make those bows? Just wire mesh? Where would I get that? :oops:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life

Great photos :thumbup:

The only thing I can't understand is, why is red sucha popular colour for weddings now-a-days? I thought red and white was supposed to signify blood and bandages? :?

I LOVE choccywoccydoodah cakes but they're meant to be rather expeno :? My favourite is the "Al You Need is Love" cake I think it's a work or art :D

Yeah, in my family it is blood and bandages as well, but it seems to be a family thing, most of my friends had never heard of it.
    It was an amazing day, a little church then back to the hotel for tapas with a spanish guitarist, then the wedding breakfast, then the evening 'do' with a band and two buffets and fireworks...
    Her parents had to book the entire hotel for 2 days, so they booked family and friends into the rooms, and held a BBQ the night before the wedding.
    It was however eye wateringly expensive!!! Like far more than my annual wage!

Oh wow! :o That looks like it would be one hell of a sun-kissed romantic wedding :mrgreen:

try it now? :oops: I've changed the settings... if not have a look on facebook :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    dottles wrote:

Yeah, in my family it is blood and bandages as well, but it seems to be a family thing, most of my friends had never heard of it.
    It was an amazing day, a little church then back to the hotel for tapas with a spanish guitarist, then the wedding breakfast, then the evening 'do' with a band and two buffets and fireworks...
    Her parents had to book the entire hotel for 2 days, so they booked family and friends into the rooms, and held a BBQ the night before the wedding.
    :shock: I can only imagine!!!!!!!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    mmmm so great friends...get married...good!!..for u ..
    :roll: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=118930&hilit=+single :mrgreen:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Can't view them Hels :?
    try it now? :oops: I've changed the settings... if not have a look on facebook :D

Gotcha.

:shock: :mrgreen: Wow... looks amazing.. but, yes, I can see the conveyor belt thing. Is that two different brides? I don't think i'd like being shepherded onto that boat either... :?

Gotcha.

:shock: :mrgreen: Wow... looks amazing.. but, yes, I can see the conveyor belt thing. Is that two different brides? I don't think i'd like being shepherded onto that boat either... :?
    Yep, that's two different ones... and I think they were both English :D one definitely was.

In fairness, I wouldn't say they got the conveyor belt feeling... I just hope they were staying on a different town on the lake otherwise they may have got it :oops:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • dottles wrote:

:shock: I can only imagine!!!!!!!

Ditto. I've only really got a good idea of the cost of weddings now we're doing it... and we're doing it on the cheap and paying for everything ourselves! :lol:

Last two weddings I went to cost in excess of £15,000 each (at one the brides dress alone was £3,000+) but I think that's silly money. Even if we had it we wouldn't pay it. The way I see it is £15,000 is a deposit on a house :shock:

• redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    dottles wrote:
    My friend had a profiterole mountain as hers (her wedding had a bit of a mountain theme, names of the tables etc as her other half proposed at the top of Snowdon).

Those 'pieces montees' (profiterolles stuck with caramel) are very French. I love them.
  • try it now? :oops: I've changed the settings... if not have a look on facebook :D

Gotcha.

Yep, that's two different ones... and I think they were both English :D one definitely was.

In fairness, I wouldn't say they got the conveyor belt feeling... I just hope they were staying on a different town on the lake otherwise they may have got it :oops:

I hope so too, for their sake.

There's enough venues in this country that have a conveyor belt feeling... one wedding I went to, my friend (the bride) came face to face with another bride in the corridor and on her way our was told she couldn't use that particular exit because ANOTHER bride was having photos outside :shock:

Last two weddings I went to cost in excess of £15,000 each (at one the brides dress alone was £3,000+) but I think that's silly money. Even if we had it we wouldn't pay it. The way I see it is £15,000 is a deposit on a house :shock:

double that and more
  • dottles wrote:

double that and more

Oh I figured that much. I'm not judging your friend, i'm sure they earn their money and are entitled to spend it however they choose... but it's not for me.

Ditto. I've only really got a good idea of the cost of weddings now we're doing it... and we're doing it on the cheap and paying for everything ourselves! :lol:

I can see how it could easily be spent if you had an extra £15,000 lying around. I would like to say I wouldn't... but I don't think I could :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Gotcha.

I hope so too, for their sake.

There's enough venues in this country that have a conveyor belt feeling... one wedding I went to, my friend (the bride) came face to face with another bride in the corridor and on her way our was told she couldn't use that particular exit because ANOTHER bride was having photos outside :shock:

Yeh, my venue could well be like that :oops: :D although they may have said it's one a day. I don't really mind though, as long as it wouldn't hold me up much... but I think it would be cool to maybe bump into another one and get hammered together :mrgreen: ok, maybe not lol.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life