The wedding thread

Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Ok, I kinda feel like we need some sort of support group :oops: as I know I'm not the only one getting married soon... 8 months to go and I've a feeling there's stuff I HAVE to be doing now... but there's just so much of it to do that I can't really think about each individual thing... just how much I have to do. And I'm just not getting things for as cheap as I thought I'd get them :D

So far I've got the man, the dress, the venue and the necklace! So how's everyone elses plans coming along? Any tips or suggestions or advice? :oops: :)
The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
Verona??? it's all surmountable
Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
Wembley? We all believe!
Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
Chicago 07? And love
What a different life
Had I not found this love with you
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    edited August 2010
    I have the man, the venue, the date and the dress (although that hasn't actually been purchased yet)... 15 months to go.

Great thread idea Hels ;)
    Post edited by Sian-of-the-dead on
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    edited August 2010
    ... the dress...

Already :o :shock: Saving up for those perfect shoes too? Or are they just too expensive? :mrgreen:

Just make lists Helen. Sian will help you with that! :D
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    I have the man, the venue, the date and the dress...

WOAH... that was a lightning fast reply... was just gonna send you the link and you already found it :mrgreen:

You have the dress????? You going for the one we discussed then?

Nobody tells you all the stuff you're supposed to simply KNOW when it comes to things like booking venues and trying on dresses. Like I noticed you're waiting on the 'contract' for your venue... :oops: ehhh... I don't have one! I have an email confirming the package we have and that's about it.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • redrock wrote:
    ... the dress...

Already :o :shock: Saving up for those perfect shoes too? Or are they just too expensive? :mrgreen:

:lol: It has been chosen but not purchased. I will still be trying on other dresses but i've pretty much decided what I want :)

I just showed it to my mum for the first time and she agees, it's perfect :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

redrock wrote:
    ... the dress...

Oh I have lists... fucking millions of em :mrgreen: and I have all the spreadsheets and all the budgets and all the timelines done out... but still... I like to do things that I know HOW to do... but what the fuck do I know about flowers? Or about hiring a band? Or about table centrepieces and chair sashes and all that shite? :shock: :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • las-vegas-sign.jpg
    This is where I will be going next year to get married.
    My future wife and I will be making a big party out of it.
    edited August 2010
    Sian - talk to people - at work, friends, etc. They might know a band, a good florist, etc. Recommendations are the best. I guess you have an idea of what you like/want and what would look good in the venue - take it from there.
    Post edited by redrock on
    redrock wrote:
    ... the dress...

:lol: It has been chosen but not purchased. I will still be trying on other dresses but i've pretty much decided what I want :)

I just showed it to my mum for the first time and she agees, it's perfect :D
    awww... at least you've plenty of time, dress wise, so if you still want the same one then, you'll be even more in love with it :mrgreen: . I knew what I wanted but couldn't find it til I'd spent hours trying on hundreds of dresses :mrgreen: (well ok, maybe 20)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    las-vegas-sign.jpg
    That certainly looks like fun :mrgreen: Low key or no holding back?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • I have the man, the venue, the date and the dress...

WOAH... that was a lightning fast reply... was just gonna send you the link and you already found it :mrgreen:

You have the dress????? You going for the one we discussed then?

Nobody tells you all the stuff you're supposed to simply KNOW when it comes to things like booking venues and trying on dresses. Like I noticed you're waiting on the 'contract' for your venue... :oops: ehhh... I don't have one! I have an email confirming the package we have and that's about it.

Soooo true. When we went to view venues it was like we were supposed to just KNOW what to say, how to act, what to ask... :roll:
    We have a contract and we'll be signing it on Saturday and handing over £1000 deposit :shock:

The dress is not the one we discussed... I found THE ONE while trailing through the interwebs half arsed one day. I've fallen completely in love with it and it will be mine :twisted:

In answer to your question Rita, no, THE SHOES will not be purchased. I sinply can't afford to spend nearly £400 on shoes :?

• redrock wrote:
    Sian - talk to people - at work, friends, etc. They might know a band, a good florist, etc. Recommendations are the best. I guess you have an idea of what you like/want and what would look good in the venue - take it from there.

Thanks Rita. I'm really arty so I can think about how I want the venue, flowers etc to look... It's Dave that's having problems with all that jazz, bless him, he just can't envisage arty farty things :(

I know what I want for flowers and centre pieces, how the ceremony room will look, what i'm wearing and even down to what kind of confetti we're having... we just have to make it all happen :think:

• las-vegas-sign.jpg
    A little bit of both.
    Gonna be just me and her. No guests. (sorry mom)
    Going to party and gamble while we are there then rent a car and do a lot of sightseeing.

Congratulations by the way :thumbup:

Soooo true. When we went to view venues it was like we were supposed to just KNOW what to say, how to act, what to ask... :roll:
    We have a contract and we'll be signing it on Saturday and handing over £1000 deposit :shock:

The dress is not the one we discussed... I found THE ONE while trailing through the interwebs half arsed one day. I've fallen completely in love with it and it will be mine :twisted:

In answer to your question Rita, no, THE SHOES will not be purchased. I sinply can't afford to spend nearly £400 on shoes :?
    Brilliant :mrgreen: but awww... ya sure ya can't make the shoes? I went dress shopping with a budget of £400 lol and came away with a dress for a LOT more than that :mrgreen: Maybe you could have a 'shoe fund' as well as a honeymoon fund :mrgreen: . Instead of a hen party, just get everyone to contribute towards the shoes?

I wish I knew how I wanted everything to look the way you do... but I haven't a clue and am depending on the knowledge of the people who do these things every day. It will probably LOOK quite generic but the people there will make it mine! I'd still like it to LOOK like mine though :D but I've no idea what mine would look like... and now I'm rambling!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    It's Dave that's having problems with all that jazz, bless him, he just can't envisage arty farty things :( :

Awww... bless :mrgreen::mrgreen: That's why he has you. He knows you know so he doesn't have to worry!

.... even down to what kind of confetti we're having..
    I'm impressed!
    las-vegas-sign.jpg
    A little bit of both.
    Gonna be just me and her. No guests. (sorry mom)
    Going to party and gamble while we are there then rent a car and do a lot of sightseeing.

Congratulations by the way :thumbup:
    Thank you... and you too :D it's pretty exciting though and I do love the planning bit!

We were thinking of something like that for our honeymoon. We're not gonna decide on that for another few months though.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • My wedding is a distant, horrible memory...almost seven years ago to be exact. I'm the wrong person to be on a wedding thread, but I would like to give some advice, do a destination wedding with only you and your soon-to-be spouse. I thought I would miss out on something if I didn't have it in the church where my parents were married and surrounded by friends and family. I'm actually planning on renewing our vowels on our 10 year anniversary, just the two of us, hopefully some where tropical or European. This time I'm doing it my way. ;) My best advice to anyone who is planning a big wedding is, don't stress you can only do so much. Do it your way and if everything doesn't turn out perfectly, that's ok, just have fun with it.
    Hearts and thoughts they fade....
    fade away...

I am at peace with my lust.....for Eddie.
    My wedding is a distant, horrible memory...almost seven years ago to be exact. I'm the wrong person to be on a wedding thread, but I would like to give some advice, do a destination wedding with only you and your soon-to-be spouse. I thought I would miss out on something if I didn't have it in the church where my parents were married and surrounded by friends and family. I'm actually planning on renewing our vowels on our 10 year anniversary, just the two of us, hopefully some where tropical or European. This time I'm doing it my way. ;) My best advice to anyone who is planning a big wedding is, don't stress you can only do so much. Do it your way and if everything doesn't turn out perfectly, that's ok, just have fun with it.
    sounds like some good advice there :D I won't stress any more than I want to. Once the stress actually starts bothering me, I'll take a few steps back.. but for now I'm enjoying it.

I kinda hope everything DOESN'T go to plan... cos it's things like that which make for funny stories and make people remember it.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • My wedding is a distant, horrible memory...almost seven years ago to be exact. I'm the wrong person to be on a wedding thread, but I would like to give some advice, do a destination wedding with only you and your soon-to-be spouse. I thought I would miss out on something if I didn't have it in the church where my parents were married and surrounded by friends and family. I'm actually planning on renewing our vowels on our 10 year anniversary, just the two of us, hopefully some where tropical or European. This time I'm doing it my way. ;) My best advice to anyone who is planning a big wedding is, don't stress you can only do so much. Do it your way and if everything doesn't turn out perfectly, that's ok, just have fun with it.
    sounds like some good advice there :D I won't stress any more than I want to. Once the stress actually starts bothering me, I'll take a few steps back.. but for now I'm enjoying it.

I kinda hope everything DOESN'T go to plan... cos it's things like that which make for funny stories and make people remember it.

Oh god don't say that!!! :o I HATE for something to go wrong on the day... 15 months of planning for something to fuck up?! That'd be my worst nightmare :oops:

We had the final contract through this morning via email... we go and sign tomorrow and hand over £1000... i'm kinda scared and excited all at once :mrgreen:

Eurgh, my Mum came over last night. I love her dearly but she's got to learn to understand that this is OUR wedding and that both myself and Dave are VERY choosey and set on what we want/don't want. I think she wants me to have this grand wedding where MoTB is also centre of attention and gets to make all the decisions... I tell you, it's gonna be a huge headache and battle ahead :(

• markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,120
    congrats to everyone getting married!

the toughest part for me and my wife was deciding on how many people to invite and who to actually invite.....other than that everything went pretty smoothly
  • congrats to everyone getting married!

the toughest part for me and my wife was deciding on how many people to invite and who to actually invite.....other than that everything went pretty smoothly

That's been a bit of a headache for us too... to the point that we've decided to skip the three course meal in favour of paying for more guests to attend... we're upto 150 at the minute :roll:

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,481
    We started planning our November wedding in January...I am glad we started early.

We made our arrangements in the following order:

I proposed in December
    She accepted straight away!
    Found venue in January
    Found photographer in February
    Wedding Gown ordered in February
    Got our DJ in March
    Got wedding insurance in March
    Arranged for flowers in April
    Sent out save-the-dates in May
    Ordered Cupcakes/Cake Topper in July (after very carefully tasting many samples!)
    Found Rabbi in August
    Did our gift registries in August
    Invitation design still in process....artist going very slow, but it will be worth it
    Did our engagement photos in August

Still Pending:

Seating arrangements
    Wedding favors - ( we may give out football (soccer) jerseys that have a crest with "Diane & Joe United"

Damn, thats a lot of stuff!

We are planning/paying for the wedding on our own, so luckily, no family members have any influence!

It was difficult to make the guest list, but we got it done.

There will always be people who are surprised by their inclusion or exclusion.....can't please everyone, I reckon!
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    We started planning our November wedding in January...I am glad we started early.

I proposed in December
    Found venue in January
    Got our DJ in March
    Ordered Cupcakes/Cake Topper in July (after very carefully tasting many samples!)
    Found Rabbi in August
    Invitation design still in process....artist going very slow, but it will be worth it

Still Pending:

Seating arrangements
    Wedding favors - ( we may give out football (soccer) jerseys that have a crest with "Diane & Joe United"

We are planning/paying for the wedding on our own, so luckily, no family members have any influence!

There will always be people who are surprised by their inclusion or exclusion.....can't please everyone, I reckon!
    Yeah, I had forgotten exactly how much stuff you have to take care of....it is alot. Doing things early is definitely the way to go. We were engaged for around 11 months and got everything done with about 3 to go, so at the end it was mainly my wife making sure the little details were taken care of.

You missed one important thing though....you've still got to plan for the honeymoon, the best part of the whole wedding process :D

That's been a bit of a headache for us too... to the point that we've decided to skip the three course meal in favour of paying for more guests to attend... we're upto 150 at the minute :roll:
    the worst part of that is feeling obligated to invite certain people so that your parents or future in-laws don't offend someone because of not inviting them....that drove me crazy
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    redrock wrote:
    ... the dress...

Oh I have lists... fucking millions of em :mrgreen: and I have all the spreadsheets and all the budgets and all the timelines done out... but still... I like to do things that I know HOW to do... but what the fuck do I know about flowers? Or about hiring a band? Or about table centrepieces and chair sashes and all that shite? :shock: :mrgreen:
    Ask Eddie if the band does weddings. ;)

I always watch wedding shows on T.V. though I don't know why since I'm no where close to being married.
    I think I like the creative aspects of it... And watching people mindlessly blow their money on a big party. Like, 50, 60 grand!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • congrats to everyone getting married!

the worst part of that is feeling obligated to invite certain people so that your parents or future in-laws don't offend someone because of not inviting them....that drove me crazy

We're not doing that. I refuse to invite people i've never met or people that others want to invite. It's our wedding at the end of the day and I will not be pressurised into inviting family I don't know out of obligation. Our guest list is so big because we have lots of friends :oops:

Oh god don't say that!!! :o I HATE for something to go wrong on the day... 15 months of planning for something to fuck up?! That'd be my worst nightmare :oops:

We had the final contract through this morning via email... we go and sign tomorrow and hand over £1000... i'm kinda scared and excited all at once :mrgreen:

Eurgh, my Mum came over last night. I love her dearly but she's got to learn to understand that this is OUR wedding and that both myself and Dave are VERY choosey and set on what we want/don't want. I think she wants me to have this grand wedding where MoTB is also centre of attention and gets to make all the decisions... I tell you, it's gonna be a huge headache and battle ahead :(
    Oh no, I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that.. everyone else seems to have these problems getting married. Our parents our staying out of it too much :D considering they're contributing quite a bit I actually WANT their input but they don't wanna push anything on to us. They're really being amazing when I hear what other people are going through. Now my SISTER on the other hand :shock: I might just make her maid of honour and keep her out of a bridesmaid dress... or demote her altogether :mrgreen:

I think you and I will maybe have completely different weddings Sian. Honestly, when it comes to holidays and stuff, I kinda like when things go wrong and I go with it cos it always ends up great in the end and I find these things funny. It's why I got a bit worried when you said how much planning you're doing into details and stuff... cos if you put so much effort in, it's gonna be worse IF something goes wrong (which it won't for you). Ok maybe it's just my excuse for being lazy lol.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life

That's a BIG BIG problem for us too :oops: . We're only having 80 at the meal and then inviting everyone after, but we can't afford to feed those coming to the evening bit :shock: . I probably shoulda done what Sian did :mrgreen: .
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

I proposed in December
    Found venue in January
    Got our DJ in March
    Found Rabbi in August

Still Pending:

Seating arrangements

woah, you sound super organised. Luckily our deal with the venue includes the favours and a lot of stuff like table centrepieces and chair covers and sashes, etc. They seem to have most things covered. Otherwise our budget wouldn't have stretched for these things.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Yeah, I had forgotten exactly how much stuff you have to take care of....it is alot. Doing things early is definitely the way to go. We were engaged for around 11 months and got everything done with about 3 to go, so at the end it was mainly my wife making sure the little details were taken care of.

You missed one important thing though....you've still got to plan for the honeymoon, the best part of the whole wedding process :D
    Oh my god, those 3 months must have been hell for her :shock: :mrgreen: I can't imagine doing it in 3... that's why I'm panicking now so I don't have to panic then.

Ooohh the honeymoon's HIS responsibility (but my choice :mrgreen: ). While I'm saving the extra for the wedding, he's saving for the honeymoon and we're keeping them separate. Not gonna book or decide anything for a few months though... maybe the January sales.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    haffajappa wrote:
    Ask Eddie if the band does weddings. ;)

I always watch wedding shows on T.V. though I don't know why since I'm no where close to being married.
    I think I like the creative aspects of it... And watching people mindlessly blow their money on a big party. Like, 50, 60 grand!
    we NEED to be sorting the band out soon :oops: I never understand why people spend that much money. I can see how easy it would BE to do it.

He's started the invitations this morning :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life