Options

The video game thread.

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited January 2022
    My kid got a Switch for Christmas.  Good, fun machine.  I started some Zelda on it and also downloaded the Retro packs.  He uses it all the time.

He also got a Quest 2 (spoiled brat) from my father in law.  He hasn't touched it much... but I have played with it quite a bit.  I gotta say I havent had this much fun gaming in a long time.  Love the mini golf game and bowling.  Also play Climb 2.  Love it, but I can only play that for small bursts because I get motion sick.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123

Well, time for game of the year recommendations for what was 2021 … 

Best Overall Game: Far Cry 6

Kudus to Ubisoft for pushing a game back a year to give it the polish one used to expect when paying $60 for a game.  A fun open world shooter that easily will get your money’s worth.   Great game for toking as well …

Best Racing Game: F1 2021

Enjoy this series before EA mines its soul away

Best Driving Game: Forza Horizon 5

Another great game for toking.  This is the game to get if you want to see NEXT GEN results

Best Sci Fi / RPG game: Mass Effect Legendary Edition

If you like Sci Fi.  If you like RPG games.  Then get this game, especially if you never played the originals.

Best Game from the Dust Bin: Dark Souls 3

With Elden Scrolls upon us on February 25th, I figure now is the time to finally to defeat the Kingdom of Lothric.  It has been fantastic revisiting this wonderfully crafted dark fantasy realm.  I think I will be close to rekindling the flame by then. 

2022 looks to be an interesting year to say the least.  Microsoft already fired off a nuke with the acquisition of Activision / Blizzard for all of the money.  With Elden Ring in the spring and Star Field in the fall, it looks to be a good year for gaming.

May the flames guide thee ...

• Options
    Ghost of Tsushima ... yes this game came out several years ago, but I had a rare snow day and saw this game on sale.  I initially passed because Sekiro had just hit the scene and I needed a break from the action game genre and ended up forgetting about it.  I am very impressed with this game in the early hours.  Top notch production.  It's like playing a good movie that feels organic if that makes sense.  I know others here raved about this game and I'm now a believer.

There is a scene in the opening prologue that sets the tone for the main bad guy that was shocking.  Like early Game of Thrones shocking.  That is pretty rare in video games.
  • Options
    OK Mariocart 8 experts!!!

Question?

When I am turning right if I don't start my drift just right I always crash.  Is the game built to not let you turn late?  You have to hit a certain mark?

2nd?
    When hitting the turn perfectly and into a drift I always have 2 problems. 1 is brushing up against another driver.  When I do I lose control and slam into a wall.  

The other is when drifting right and a left turn comes up I can't get a drift down.  I can't do a clean right drift into a left drift.

Looking for pointers.

Is it a timing thing?

Thanks
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    Jason P said:
    Ghost of Tsushima ... yes this game came out several years ago, but I had a rare snow day and saw this game on sale.  I initially passed because Sekiro had just hit the scene and I needed a break from the action game genre and ended up forgetting about it.  I am very impressed with this game in the early hours.  Top notch production.  It's like playing a good movie that feels organic if that makes sense.  I know others here raved about this game and I'm now a believer.

There is a scene in the opening prologue that sets the tone for the main bad guy that was shocking.  Like early Game of Thrones shocking.  That is pretty rare in video games.

Love that game!
    I also love how it came out of nowhere.  I mean, I know they worked on it for probably years, but it just seems like there was no talk about it until it was released, and it just happened to be a beautiful game in so many ways.  From the beginning to the end...amazing!
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,025
    edited February 2022

Question?

When I am turning right if I don't start my drift just right I always crash.  Is the game built to not let you turn late?  You have to hit a certain mark?

2nd?
    When hitting the turn perfectly and into a drift I always have 2 problems. 1 is brushing up against another driver.  When I do I lose control and slam into a wall.  

The other is when drifting right and a left turn comes up I can't get a drift down.  I can't do a clean right drift into a left drift.

Looking for pointers.

Is it a timing thing?

Thanks
    I don't have my WIi-U connected anymore... but you don't need to hit a certain mark. Mario Kart is very forgiving. Just steer in the right direction... and you can't go to a right to left drift, without "reseting" first by releasing the drift button. As I remember it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options

Question?

2nd?

Looking for pointers.

Is it a timing thing?

Thanks
    I don't have my WIi-U connected anymore... but you don't need to hit a certain mark. Mario Kart is very forgiving. Just steer in the right direction... and you can't go to a right to left drift, without "reseting" first by releasing the drift button. As I remember it.
    Yeah that don't work.  If I don't start a drift early I am in the wall...
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Question?

2nd?

Looking for pointers.

Is it a timing thing?

Thanks
    I can film a tutorial if you want? Need to connect the Wii-U. But let me know.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    48 new maps for Mario Kart 8.

Time to buy a switch
  • Options

Question?

2nd?

Looking for pointers.

Is it a timing thing?

Thanks
    Maybe thois doesn't help, but I tried:

https://youtu.be/McDZJXEiRYw
  • Options
    Started up Breath of the Wild again... last save was in the spring of 2019... I don't know where I am or what I am suppose to do... maybe worth replaying it from the start...
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Started up Breath of the Wild again... last save was in the spring of 2019... I don't know where I am or what I am suppose to do... maybe worth replaying it from the start...
    I've picked that back up in the last few weeks myself. Although I'm well beyond end game and just grinding for items now. Currently working on 999 or each arrow.
  • Options
    I've picked that back up in the last few weeks myself. Although I'm well beyond end game and just grinding for items now. Currently working on 999 or each arrow.
    But I was only at the very beginning, like doing some shrines to get bombs... or something... Haha. I just played it for a few hours in 2017. Then a few hours in 2019. Judging from the saves. 

But I feel lost. Maybe easier to just restart.

Lousy framerate on the Wii-U too.

10.500 points in Mario Kart. Wan't to reach 11.000 before I retire, but man... I get beaten badly online.
  • Options
    But I was only at the very beginning, like doing some shrines to get bombs... or something... Haha. I just played it for a few hours in 2017. Then a few hours in 2019. Judging from the saves. 

10.500 points in Mario Kart. Wan't to reach 11.000 before I retire, but man... I get beaten badly online.
    Yeah, probably your best bet to just start over on BOTW.
  • Options

Yeah, probably your best bet to just start over on BOTW.
    I re-learned what the stuff I had did. Relearned how to cook things. And I found the fourth shrine up on a snowy mountain. So now I am back at it. Hopefully I won't put it down another 3 years.
  • Options
    Some big releases in the coming weeks for racing and RPG fans ...

2/22: Assetto Corsa Competizione (Next Gen Upgrade)  As far as I know, this is the only true sim racer on consoles.  It is by far the most realistic game I've raced.  I've had it for a year on series X, but it isn't optimized and felt like it was missing polish so I decided to wait for the upgrade which should be free for existing owners.  It would be pretty cool if this game got a solid user base.  Fingers crossed.

2/25: Elden Ring  Dark Souls + George R.R. Martin.  'nuff said

3/4: Gran Turismo 7  The Real Driving Simulator returns after giving us half-games over the last decade.   I felt the series feeling more "arcade" in the driving feel in GT Sport.  Early previews look promising.  Thankfully they are releasing on PS4.   There is a 13% chance this game actually releases in working form on 3/4

• Options
    Jason P said:
    Some big releases in the coming weeks for racing and RPG fans ...

2/22: Assetto Corsa Competizione (Next Gen Upgrade)  As far as I know, this is the only true sim racer on consoles.  It is by far the most realistic game I've raced.  I've had it for a year on series X, but it isn't optimized and felt like it was missing polish so I decided to wait for the upgrade which should be free for existing owners.  It would be pretty cool if this game got a solid user base.  Fingers crossed.

2/25: Elden Ring  Dark Souls + George R.R. Martin.  'nuff said

3/4: Gran Turismo 7  The Real Driving Simulator returns after giving us half-games over the last decade.   I felt the series feeling more "arcade" in the driving feel in GT Sport.  Early previews look promising.  Thankfully they are releasing on PS4.   There is a 13% chance this game actually releases in working form on 3/4

I'm def excited for Elden Ring!
  • Options
    I'M ON MY WAY TO FIND IMPA!
  • Options

Question?

2nd?

Looking for pointers.

Is it a timing thing?

Thanks
    Maybe thois doesn't help, but I tried:

https://youtu.be/McDZJXEiRYw
    I think I have been hitting the R button.  Now I am playing it tonight.

Dammit!

TY!!
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,854
    Daughter and I have been playing Rayman Legends . It is really one of my favorite games, even before we started playing together. It's so well done, mechanics that work for advanced and young players, details, levels that work with songs. And it's fun!
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Is it bad that I have had money set aside for 3 years awaiting BOTW II?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Jason P said:

I bought this a couple months ago as I was getting tired of beating Spider Man over and over again. I'm starting to wonder if I no longer have the "video game brain" (bought a PS4 after not playing video games for about 20 years). I've been riding on my damn horse for what seems like forever to try to find where the hell I'm supposed to go. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    static111 said:
    Is it bad that I have had money set aside for 3 years awaiting BOTW II?
    If it is, we’re both going to hell. 
  • Options
    a5pj said:
    Daughter and I have been playing Rayman Legends . It is really one of my favorite games, even before we started playing together. It's so well done, mechanics that work for advanced and young players, details, levels that work with songs. And it's fun!
    Played a demo of that when I first got my Switch. It is really good! Don’t know why I never bought the full version. 
  • Options
    Where are you now? I actually started a new profile on Sunday, played thru the Great Plateau then did a tower run and activated them all. Did about 40 shrines or so along the way, and a few other things. Don’t want to go into too much detail as to give away spoilers. 
  • Options
  • Options
    Where are you now? I actually started a new profile on Sunday, played thru the Great Plateau then did a tower run and activated them all. Did about 40 shrines or so along the way, and a few other things. Don’t want to go into too much detail as to give away spoilers. 
    I've picked up 20 electric arrows.
  • Options
    Picked up Horizon Forbidden West.  Maybe an hour in and it's fun.  I really enjoyed the first one and this one is a blast so far.
    I'm def going to finish this first before picking up Elden Ring.
  • Options
    I've picked up 20 electric arrows.
    Ahh, the Vah Ruta quest, I assume. Nice.
  • Options
    My Assetto Corsa Competizione Xbox Series X Upgrade Review ....

I had to double check to see if it accidentally installed a last gen update.  Nope.  Everything seems worse.  Too bad, I had high hopes for an actual sim racer on a console.  Maybe some day.

However, I don't have time for this game anyway because ...