Auto-Save Draft feature temporarily disabled. Please be sure you manually save your post by selecting "Save Draft" if you have that need.

The video game thread.

1909192939496»

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 12,834
    I saw/read that they completely overhauled the Road to the Show this year in MLB The Show '21.
    I don't remember the specifics, but what we have all known and loved over the years is completely gone.  It doesn't sound like you get drafted and then grind your way through the minors with promotions and eventually the Pros.
    I saw it explained on some YouTube video and it sounds really disappointing.  I LOVED RTTS and how it worked before.  Very sad.  
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 10,876
    OOTP Baseball 22 is amazing.   
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 18,794
    MayDay10 said:

I downloaded OOTP 21 via game pass but wasn't sure where to start.  Any recommendations to ease into it?  Is it mainly scouting prospects and being the GM?  I take it the games are simulated.
    mca47 said:
    I saw/read that they completely overhauled the Road to the Show this year in MLB The Show '21.
    I don't remember the specifics, but what we have all known and loved over the years is completely gone.  It doesn't sound like you get drafted and then grind your way through the minors with promotions and eventually the Pros.
    I saw it explained on some YouTube video and it sounds really disappointing.  I LOVED RTTS and how it worked before.  Very sad.  

I think RTTS is still there.  I saw they added podcasts to the narrative, whatever that means.

Franchise was completely overhauled ... I just watched a video on it and it was some serious nerd analytics on how proper value of a player is determined.  They stressed how important it was for the foundation of the game going forward.  It made my brain hurt.  So that is a good sign.  There is a lot more for the person that likes to sim GM this year it appears.

Menu presentation looks fantastic.  Looks like a nice change from the maze of menus the last two years have given us.  Hopefully I don't need to solve menu puzzles anymore to figure out how to unlock a 99 Yelich card ...
    Jason P said:
    MayDay10 said:

I downloaded OOTP 21 via game pass but wasn't sure where to start.  Any recommendations to ease into it?  Is it mainly scouting prospects and being the GM?  I take it the games are simulated.
    Yes, basically it is a sim and no 'hand eye coordination' type of deal.  You can watch the game play out and manage your team (or have your manager manage the team.

Basically OOTP is a sand box.  You can do anything you want and go from there.  Everything is customizable,  I started with Seattle at the beginning of 2021 and did a basic start.  I have seen people do an expansion team/draft presently.  In OOTP 21, I started one for the 1993 expansion if Buffalo got the expansion team instead of Florida.  You can pick up the Cubs in 1980 and go from there.  You can even start in the 1870s.  You can drill down and change the terms of the CBA, revenue sharing, playoff format, alignment, league rules, progression, you name it.

I think it looks harder/more overwhelming than it is, at least the basics.  I would recommend starting whatever project you want to do, then go into settings and have your assistant GM/Manager do a lot of the work, and slowly take control of those things as you get more comfortable.

I learned everything watching youtube videos.  There are a ton out there explaining the basics of the game.  
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 17,388
    Just got my daughter the Animal Crossing Switch console for her birthday. Wonder if it will come with a three-month free trial to Nintendo Online...?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • edited April 6
    dankind said:
    Just got my daughter the Animal Crossing Switch console for her birthday. Wonder if it will come with a three-month free trial to Nintendo Online...?
    Would recommend the online thing for AC content and previous Nintendo games

dankind said:

I’m not going to lie, Animal Crossing looks boring as fuck, but she does the whole Roblox thing, which also looks boring as fuck, so I’m guessing it’s up her alley. 

I got her Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as well. That’s more for the family, though. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Lol....I like AC cos it chills me out.... fishing, weeding, catching butterflies, etc, I guess it depends what you're into. I like having downtime and escapism. There was a mario download package which is cool to decorate with but I'm not sure how to access the hello kitty and sanrio downloadables. The people on Twitter do some pretty interesting things with their world.

PAC MAN 99 is available on nintendo switch online ... it's 'free' if you have nintendo online membership.  Haven't played it yet but it looks pretty cool.  Similar knock-out battle royale like Tetris 99 if anyone played that.
    Rygar said:
    Jason P said:
    MLB The Show 21 will be available on xbox Game Pass on day one.  holy poops!  Didn't see that one coming at all, being it's a game made by Sony.  Saves me $70. 
    This is crazy, great news!

I guess MLB wanted the game cross-platform ... so they are publishing the game on the Xbox ... so Microsoft cut a deal with MLB and is giving away what was pretty big Sony exclusive away for 'free'.  Sony doesn't appear to be pleased nor privy to the deal or profits.

Shenanigans aside, this game is the best marketing tool MLB has so it makes sense to get it into as many hands as possible.  It's not just a great sports game ... it's a great game that any gamer could appreciate.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,592
    Jason P said:
    Rygar said:
    Jason P said:
    MLB The Show 21 will be available on xbox Game Pass on day one.  holy poops!  Didn't see that one coming at all, being it's a game made by Sony.  Saves me $70. 

I guess MLB wanted the game cross-platform ... so they are publishing the game on the Xbox ... so Microsoft cut a deal with MLB and is giving away what was pretty big Sony exclusive away for 'free'.  Sony doesn't appear to be pleased nor privy to the deal or profits.

Shenanigans aside, this game is the best marketing tool MLB has so it makes sense to get it into as many hands as possible.  It's not just a great sports game ... it's a great game that any gamer could appreciate.
    Tough noogies for Sony.  The game pass deal is great for MLB - The Show will be on Xbox for the next iteration and so on (presumably) so put it on game pass and get it as much exposure as possible.
    MLB The Show is a great series.  By far the best sports game on the market
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 12,834
    Jason P said:
    Rygar said:
    Jason P said:

Yeah, MLB needs as much exposure as possible.  Even before the Rona, MLB was hurting.  Popularity was down, ticket sales were down.  Having this game in as many hands as possible will def help!
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

I’m not going to lie, Animal Crossing looks boring as fuck, but she does the whole Roblox thing, which also looks boring as fuck, so I’m guessing it’s up her alley. 

I got her Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as well. That’s more for the family, though. 
    Ugh. Worst gift ever. I thought maybe they could just plug it in and play, but accounts have to made and linked, etc., etc. 

I finally tapped out after entering/changing email addresses and passwords repeatedly for about an hour this morning to no avail and told the kids they would have to figure it out. 

I think they’re still crying. I’m never going near the damn thing ever again. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM