Options

The video game thread.

Comments

• Options
    The family and I are really enjoying Stray for those that may be on the fence.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123

you had me at cat simulator

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,254
    Looks interesting.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,779
    I am in the queue to buy a PS5. Should I go through with it?
  • Options
    Yes, you should!
  • Options
    Just started a 2nd run through Elden Ring.  Took some time off from the last one.  Waaaay easier the second time around!
  • Options
    Finally got Mario Kart 8 for the Switch but really need that 2nd comtroller.
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    Yes, you should!
    I pulled the trigger on the digital-only version. I really don't see what I would need the drive for - I buy mostly digital games and at worst keep an external drive. Will I regret this decision?
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    mca47 said:
    Yes, you should!
    I pulled the trigger on the digital-only version. I really don't see what I would need the drive for - I buy mostly digital games and at worst keep an external drive. Will I regret this decision?
    As long as you don't need internet to play anything I would think you're fine?

I'm curious of the answers too.
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    Yes, you should!

I mean it has internet/wifi access. I believe the only difference is the physical disc drive.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    mca47 said:
    Yes, you should!

I mean it has internet/wifi access. I believe the only difference is the physical disc drive.
    Meaning if you needed to play and internet was out you still would have the disc, or does the thing have storage on it so wifi isn't needed to play?

I'm lost on these new consoles so I am trying to learn...
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    Yes, you should!

Meaning if you needed to play and internet was out you still would have the disc, or does the thing have storage on it so wifi isn't needed to play?

I'm lost on these new consoles so I am trying to learn...
    Yeah you can save digital versions to the internal and/or external hard drive (if using one).
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    Yes, you should!

You definitely don't need the disc drive.  Other than it, there is no difference between the two.  I have the disc drive version, and I think it's only benefit might be install times.  And even then, once the game is installed, there's probably an update to download anyways.
    I recently added additional internal storage to my PS5.  I filled the factory HDD so fast it was insane.  BTW, if you do add more storage, it couldn't be easier.  Took me maybe 10 minutes.
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    mca47 said:
    Yes, you should!

You definitely don't need the disc drive.  Other than it, there is no difference between the two.  I have the disc drive version, and I think it's only benefit might be install times.  And even then, once the game is installed, there's probably an update to download anyways.
    I recently added additional internal storage to my PS5.  I filled the factory HDD so fast it was insane.  BTW, if you do add more storage, it couldn't be easier.  Took me maybe 10 minutes.
    Thanks. Yeah I have a 2 TB external for my PS4 which I've read seems pretty seamless to move over to the 5.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,159
    Just picked up new madden 23 for series x.. will play a lil this weekend 
  • Options
    Also crazy regarding this PS5 purchase via Sony's site: I ordered it yesterday at like 2:30pm, and it's going to be delivered tomorrow. Super pumped.
  • Options
    Also crazy regarding this PS5 purchase via Sony's site: I ordered it yesterday at like 2:30pm, and it's going to be delivered tomorrow. Super pumped.
    Sweet!  It's a lot of fun!
  • Options
     Yep, I really liked Stray.  Kinda short, but all kinds of cute and fun!
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    mca47 said:
    Yes, you should!

What brand did you use to expand the storage?
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    mca47 said:
    mca47 said:
    Yes, you should!

What brand did you use to expand the storage?
    I got the Western Digital Black 2TB w/ heatsink.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PMLYV9H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Works great and it was super easy to install.
  • Options
    Just ordered the that exact model.  It will be nice to have more than 7 games installed!
  • Options
    I was playing Tony Hawk on PS5 the other night after partaking in a doobie, and I somehow became the greatest Tony Hawk player in the world!  I was doing all sorts of amazing shit ... but after ten minutes i became dubious of my newfound talent and checked and sure enough, the game now has mods that turn you into TH on steroids. 

It was still pretty fun.
  • Options
    Yikes.  Sony just increased the price of a PS5 in about every region except the US. 

Xbox and Nintendo responded with 'fuck dat'
  • Options
    PSA for Switch owners ...

Satisfye Grip

This is about the best $40 you could invest in your Switch if playing causes pain in your hands.  I've used one of these for the last several years, and to be honest, I would not even use my Switch in mobile mode if it didn't exist.  It feels like a PS4 controller and the ergonomics are great.

It slips on and off easy, but is snug enough to stay put.  In also doubles as a stand if you want.

• Options
    Jason P said:

Satisfye Grip

This is about the best $40 you could invest in your Switch if playing causes pain in your hands.  I've used one of these for the last several years, and to be honest, I would not even use my Switch in mobile mode if it didn't exist.  It feels like a PS4 controller and the ergonomics are great.

It slips on and off easy, but is snug enough to stay put.  In also doubles as a stand if you want.

I think it's been a good 2-3 years since I've played my Switch.  Anything come out recently worth taking a look at?
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    I was playing Tony Hawk on PS5 the other night after partaking in a doobie, and I somehow became the greatest Tony Hawk player in the world!  I was doing all sorts of amazing shit ... but after ten minutes i became dubious of my newfound talent and checked and sure enough, the game now has mods that turn you into TH on steroids. 

It was still pretty fun.
    You can't beat the "doobie effect".  For me, it's similar to the beer effect.  After two beers, I'm invincible in videogames, darts, pool, etc.  Then it goes downhill fast after that point.
    With the doobie effect, it goes from "Goddamn, I'm crushing this!", then later "Wait, I have no idea what's going on right now!"  LOL  
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    Jason P said:

Satisfye Grip

I think it's been a good 2-3 years since I've played my Switch.  Anything come out recently worth taking a look at?

Portal Companion Collection (Portal and Portal 2).  Runs great on the switch at 60 FPS (it is over a decade old).  Just came out under the radar for $20.  Great puzzle games and a good deal.

Mainly the switch serves as a means to take my MLB the Show 22 addition on the road.  I think I'm actually hitting better on the Switch ... but that could speak to the Xbox controllers sub-par buttons.  My Elite 2 controller went south for the 3rd time and the 1 year warranty is expired.  I was about to buy another one but decided to go with SCUF instead.  Should have it in a few days. 

The current reviews for the Elite 2 show that it still suffers from the bad quality control.  Here is what will happen.  You buy a new controller.  You find out the "A" button doesn't work.  You send it to Microsoft ... and wait  ... and maybe 45 days later you get a refurbished controller which works slightly better so you decide to keep it.  Then it dies 3 months later.  Repeat process.  Now one year warranty is expired. 

Microsoft's response:

• Options
    SCUF Instinct Pro controller got here fast from Taiwan ...

Initial impressions are ... "holy crap I can't believe i put up with Microsoft Elite controller for so long!"

Face buttons are nice.  I noticed immediate improvements in MLB the Show.  I can actually time my swing without a mushy button.

Grips are much nicer than the Elite.  Sticks feel better.  Ergonomics seem great

For the back button placement, the two main paddles are perfect.  The secondary back paddles layout is odd, but works better than the Elite paddles (I only used 2 instead of 4). 

Controller is much lighter (the reduced weight may make it feel 'cheap' compared to holding an Elite).  It uses AA batteries which can be a pro/con, but I like having rechargeable AA power instead of a proprietary built-in battery that gets weaker over time.  The Elite did have a nice 40 hour charge time.

One thing to note of the trigger locks for the triggers.  The elite has three settings ... normal, mid-way, and short pull.  You are pulling the trigger in each setting, but the throw distance just changes.  The SCUF operates a little different with two settings, normal and "mouse-click".  By mouse-click, I'm referring to the tactile response feels like clicking a mouse instead of "pulling' a trigger.  I could see this being a big deal for FPS games.

The Elite comes with a nice carry case that also charges it.  No case with the SCUF.  Elite has 4 extra stick options and a D-pad alternate.  SCUF has 2 extra stick options.

So pricey, but the overall benefits for me with have back paddles and short triggers really help keep my hands and fingers fresh.  With so many games requiring the L3/R3 stick click, back paddles are a necessity with age.
  • Options
    The new God of War is looking incredible.  It just got a 10 on IGN and an 9 on Gamespot.

I also just put in my pre-order.  Woo!
  • Options
    I still need to finish the last GOW ... probably only played a few hours, decided I would get back to it, and now the sequel is out.  These games always suck me in, but the button combo systems drive me away.  Fighting games are the same.  I will probably get it just to gawk at it.

I picked up Modern Warfare 2.  The campaign was fun, like being in a Die Hard movie.  I haven't played COD in years.  Still not ready to dip into online modes yet.  I just read that they had $800M in sales in three days.