Options

The video game thread.

Comments

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    Jason P said:
    Flight Sim 2020 for Series X is the Chill Game of the Year.  Picked up a Thrustmaster HOTAS One flight stick for $90 and it is a worthy purchase if you intend to play this game.  For someone like me that used to spend a lot of time on Google Earth, this is pretty amazing.  Real world map so you can fly over your uncle's house in parts unknown.   I've flown in Yosemite, under the Mackinaw bridge, NYC, Seattle, San Diego coast, and a ton of places I lived and grew up in and it is incredibly realistic.  And I'm just learning the entry Cesna 152 and having a blast. 

Series X even supports keyboard ... mouse support isn't working properly yet.   Once mouse support is hopefully figured out, it will make the game ideal for playing with a HOTAS stick ... right now I need to use the xbox controller in tandem for looking around the cockpit making instrument adjustments and moving cameras which isn't ideal, but I can make due.  The mouse works for a little bit, but then cuts out. 

I just open the world map and pick a spot, load Spotify in the background and go on a road air trip.

Ohhh, and a Top Gun expansion is coming this fall.  Oh yeah!

(note: i think they totally wiffed on that high five attempt) :D
    Nice!  I have it for my gaming PC.  Got the yolk, throttle quadrant and pedals.  It's def a lot of fun.
    I mainly bought it so I could use it to stay...somewhat current....when I'm not actually flying.  I was in flight school prior to Covid, and haven't flown since March 2020.  I'm def going back to complete my training for my license, but in the meantime, the sim keeps me....sort of...flying.  haha
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    mca47 said:
    Jason P said:
    Flight Sim 2020 for Series X is the Chill Game of the Year.  Picked up a Thrustmaster HOTAS One flight stick for $90 and it is a worthy purchase if you intend to play this game.  For someone like me that used to spend a lot of time on Google Earth, this is pretty amazing.  Real world map so you can fly over your uncle's house in parts unknown.   I've flown in Yosemite, under the Mackinaw bridge, NYC, Seattle, San Diego coast, and a ton of places I lived and grew up in and it is incredibly realistic.  And I'm just learning the entry Cesna 152 and having a blast. 

Series X even supports keyboard ... mouse support isn't working properly yet.   Once mouse support is hopefully figured out, it will make the game ideal for playing with a HOTAS stick ... right now I need to use the xbox controller in tandem for looking around the cockpit making instrument adjustments and moving cameras which isn't ideal, but I can make due.  The mouse works for a little bit, but then cuts out. 

I just open the world map and pick a spot, load Spotify in the background and go on a road air trip.

Nice!  I have it for my gaming PC.  Got the yolk, throttle quadrant and pedals.  It's def a lot of fun.
    I mainly bought it so I could use it to stay...somewhat current....when I'm not actually flying.  I was in flight school prior to Covid, and haven't flown since March 2020.  I'm def going back to complete my training for my license, but in the meantime, the sim keeps me....sort of...flying.  haha

That is very cool that you have taken flight school.  Pursue that dream!  Sounds like you are very close.  Dreams become reality with persistence.

I've always been intrigued by flight.  Almost went into the air force academy out of high school but was not sure about the commitment at that time.  I've look into flight school, but not for at least a decade.  I was hoping for a chance to play this sim to see if it might rekindle a fire in me, but didn't want to invest in a gaming PC, so I was pretty stoked when xbox announced this game ... although my first attempt I crashed into the side of Mt Everest within 4 minutes so maybe I need more training.  I think this game would be pretty cool in virtual reality headset ... not sure if PC support that or not ... maybe might have to look at a gaming PC if it does.

I hope you have a chance to get your actual wings in the future.  I'm pretty sure you will.
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    mca47 said:
    Jason P said:

That is very cool that you have taken flight school.  Pursue that dream!  Sounds like you are very close.  Dreams become reality with persistence.

I've always been intrigued by flight.  Almost went into the air force academy out of high school but was not sure about the commitment at that time.  I've look into flight school, but not for at least a decade.  I was hoping for a chance to play this sim to see if it might rekindle a fire in me, but didn't want to invest in a gaming PC, so I was pretty stoked when xbox announced this game ... although my first attempt I crashed into the side of Mt Everest within 4 minutes so maybe I need more training.  I think this game would be pretty cool in virtual reality headset ... not sure if PC support that or not ... maybe might have to look at a gaming PC if it does.

I hope you have a chance to get your actual wings in the future.  I'm pretty sure you will.
    Thanks man.  Yeah, I was around 30 hours when I grounded myself due to Covid.  The flight school stayed open, but I didn't want to sit shoulder to shoulder in a tiny-ass plane and bring the Rona home for what was more or less a hobby.  I mean, it's one thing if you get sick as a result of going to work, or catching it at the grocery store...you know, shit you need to do.  Oh well.

I've heard you can play it in VR on PC but it's really not good.  Even with a powerful PC and a high end headset, I've heard it's really bad.

When I got my setup, I told my flight instructor and he was like "Ok, do this, do that, practice this, blah, blah, blah..."
    For the next 3 days, I did all the shit that I would never do in real life...which turns out, is WAY more fun than doing the shit you should do as a pilot.  hahahaha!

You should look into flying again.  At the least, do a discovery flight at your local flight school.  They'll take you up for bit, let you fly the plane and you can check out some cool sights.  Once I did that, I was like "fuck yeah, sign me up!"
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    Jason P said:
    mca47 said:
    Jason P said:

Thanks man.  Yeah, I was around 30 hours when I grounded myself due to Covid.  The flight school stayed open, but I didn't want to sit shoulder to shoulder in a tiny-ass plane and bring the Rona home for what was more or less a hobby.  I mean, it's one thing if you get sick as a result of going to work, or catching it at the grocery store...you know, shit you need to do.  Oh well.

I've heard you can play it in VR on PC but it's really not good.  Even with a powerful PC and a high end headset, I've heard it's really bad.

When I got my setup, I told my flight instructor and he was like "Ok, do this, do that, practice this, blah, blah, blah..."
    For the next 3 days, I did all the shit that I would never do in real life...which turns out, is WAY more fun than doing the shit you should do as a pilot.  hahahaha!

You should look into flying again.  At the least, do a discovery flight at your local flight school.  They'll take you up for bit, let you fly the plane and you can check out some cool sights.  Once I did that, I was like "fuck yeah, sign me up!"

Back in around 2005, I saw where you could go to Australia and go on a 2-3 week flight school trip across the country where you would earn enough flight time to qualify for a license.  It was around $12K at the time, but considering what I figured the cost to train here in the US and also go on a tour of Australia, it seemed to make financial and logical sense.

One of my neighbors just got her pilot license ... I don't know her very well, but my sister is friends so I will try to quiz her on where / how she got trained sometime.  My dad was halfway thru training back in the 70's before me and my siblings were dropped off by the stork and he ended up dropping out midway thru the training ... I think my mom at the time may have "suggested" he quit or start learning how to dodge frying pans as well.  I used to study his training materials ... slide rule and all.  I may go searching for that material this weekend.

The sim does allow you to do some things that may be frowned upon by the FAA.  I don't think many pilots with 10 hours of flight time are allowed to buzz Half Dome and then pitch down the face of it into Yosemite valley before pulling up at the last second or go down Broadway in NYC. 

Do you have any of the DLC or any recommendations on what to add?  The xbox game seems like a direct PC port and hasn't been dumbed down for the console.  I have the free world updates installed.   Also, do you mainly fly planes similar to what you are training or are there others that you would recommend checking out?  There is a Aviat Husky that looks pretty cool for $15 but figured there are free planes available that I should fly before spending money on planes.

• Options
    Jason P said:
    mca47 said:
    Jason P said:
    mca47 said:
    Jason P said:

Back in around 2005, I saw where you could go to Australia and go on a 2-3 week flight school trip across the country where you would earn enough flight time to qualify for a license.  It was around $12K at the time, but considering what I figured the cost to train here in the US and also go on a tour of Australia, it seemed to make financial and logical sense.

One of my neighbors just got her pilot license ... I don't know her very well, but my sister is friends so I will try to quiz her on where / how she got trained sometime.  My dad was halfway thru training back in the 70's before me and my siblings were dropped off by the stork and he ended up dropping out midway thru the training ... I think my mom at the time may have "suggested" he quit or start learning how to dodge frying pans as well.  I used to study his training materials ... slide rule and all.  I may go searching for that material this weekend.

The sim does allow you to do some things that may be frowned upon by the FAA.  I don't think many pilots with 10 hours of flight time are allowed to buzz Half Dome and then pitch down the face of it into Yosemite valley before pulling up at the last second or go down Broadway in NYC. 

Do you have any of the DLC or any recommendations on what to add?  The xbox game seems like a direct PC port and hasn't been dumbed down for the console.  I have the free world updates installed.   Also, do you mainly fly planes similar to what you are training or are there others that you would recommend checking out?  There is a Aviat Husky that looks pretty cool for $15 but figured there are free planes available that I should fly before spending money on planes.

I think I got the full package when I got it, so it has all the planes, airports and everything....I think.
    When I'm trying to keep up, I fly the plane I train in, which is a Cessna 172 with G1000 avionics.
    When I'm messing around i'll fly other things...things more fun than a C172. 

The only thing that sucks about trying new planes, is getting everything set up and paired to the hardware (throttle, yolk, pedals, buttons...)
    Takes a long ass time, but it is fun to "feel" the difference in flight characteristics of different planes.  That said, the sim is a sim and there is no real feel.  And if you fuck up on the sim, you don't have to worry about a wing ripping off due to g-load.  haha 
    Oh, and no matter what I do, I can't get the rudder authority to match what is in a real plane.  Tried all the settings and sensitivities, and I can't get it close.  
    I think it would be awesome if they could simulate flying into a TFR...and have F-16s scrambled to come after you.  Ha!

• Options

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I still havent gotten the new Gen console yet.  Kind of leaning toward going XBox this time.  Mainly for the bethesda exclusives, The Show is no longer exclusive, and backward compatibility
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,979
    edited October 2021
    MayDay10 said:
    I still havent gotten the new Gen console yet.  Kind of leaning toward going XBox this time.  Mainly for the bethesda exclusives, The Show is no longer exclusive, and backward compatibility
    Haven't bought a console since Wii-U (2013?) but the new Xbox seemed nice when my brother showed it to me. Gamepass is a really cool "netflix" way to try both old and new games one might have missed. And a good way to get a UHD-player for when an ultimate physical release of Terminator 2 finally arrives.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    The trademark for GoldenEye used for videogames has been updated by the rights holders. 

YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEAN JAMILY!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,849
    edited October 2021
    Just finished Last of us part II. 
    I can honestly say Last of Us 1 was one of the best I've played. Last of Us 2 was one of the absolute worst. Stay far far away.

Playing Red Dead 2, pretty slow start. 
    Getting really sick of these 50 hour games, even when ignoring side missions and playing through the story on the easiest level. Makes me miss games like Limbo and Inside.
    But my daughter and I play Castle Crashers, that game is awesome.
    Post edited by a5pj on
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    a5pj said:
    Just finished Last of us part II. 
    I can honestly say Last of Us 1 was one of the best I've played. Last of Us 2 was one of the absolute worst. Stay far far away.

Playing Red Dead 2, pretty slow start. 
    Getting really sick of these 50 hour games, even when ignoring side missions and playing through the story on the easiest level. Makes me miss games like Limbo and Inside.
    But my daughter and I play Castle Crashers, that game is awesome.

I absolutely loved The Last of Us 1 and 2.

I just finished up Assassin's Creed Valhalla.  Long-ass game with a fairly disappointing "ending".  There is still more to do, but the main quest line is done.  I have no plans in getting the expansion packs as I've heard it's just more of the same., but at a higher level.  
  • Options

Far Cry 6 has been one of the more enjoyable gaming experiences I’ve had in a few years.  Reminds me of Far Cry 3 in that it is island map based which I think suits the game mechanics very well.  The map is huge but easy to get around from the start.  It is a beautiful game that runs bug free (which is rare these days for a new release).  Also has Giancarlo Esposito (Gus Fring from Breaking Bad) as the main villain and he does a superb job.

I did not like Far Cry 5 … it just wasn’t fun for a multitude of reasons so I didn't really have this game on my radar.  Thank goodness I gave it a shot.  Far Cry 6 seems like a return to form.  Also, the sound design is outstanding.   

Early contender of game of the year.

• Options
    Jason P said:

Far Cry 6 has been one of the more enjoyable gaming experiences I’ve had in a few years.  Reminds me of Far Cry 3 in that it is island map based which I think suits the game mechanics very well.  The map is huge but easy to get around from the start.  It is a beautiful game that runs bug free (which is rare these days for a new release).  Also has Giancarlo Esposito (Gus Fring from Breaking Bad) as the main villain and he does a superb job.

I did not like Far Cry 5 … it just wasn’t fun for a multitude of reasons so I didn't really have this game on my radar.  Thank goodness I gave it a shot.  Far Cry 6 seems like a return to form.  Also, the sound design is outstanding.   

Don't think I've ever played a Far Cry game.  I got FC5 for free (girlfriend was working a contract with Ubisoft at the time), but never played it.
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    Jason P said:

Don't think I've ever played a Far Cry game.  I got FC5 for free (girlfriend was working a contract with Ubisoft at the time), but never played it.

Awesome, I love the far cry series. Going to pick this up then, and trade back red dead 2.

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I only played Far Cry 4.  I thought it was a solid game.  Got a little repetitive finishing everything 100%, but not too bad or daunting.  
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Anybody playing Metroid Dread yet? 

My eight-year-old son really wants it, but it has a teen rating. 

I loved Metroid when I was a kid. It was very similar gameplay to Ninja Gaiden, which was another of my favorites at the time.

Pretty sure I played Metroid Prime a bit as well, but I didn't find it as enjoyable.

I'm just wondering if the teen rating is a little overboard because I don't remember Samus picking up hookers in a stolen vehicle or anything.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Anybody playing Metroid Dread yet? 

My eight-year-old son really wants it, but it has a teen rating. 

I loved Metroid when I was a kid. It was very similar gameplay to Ninja Gaiden, which was another of my favorites at the time.

Pretty sure I played Metroid Prime a bit as well, but I didn't find it as enjoyable.

I'm just wondering if the teen rating is a little overboard because I don't remember Samus picking up hookers in a stolen vehicle or anything.
    It's probably because it's a "shooter" game.  I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
    Metroid Dread is supposed to have a tense horror-like atmosphere when you are hunted by robots in certain areas that you can only hide from ... probably need the warning for people in their 40's with bad stick skills trying not to screw up under pressure.  I'm sure kids would be fine with Metroid. 

I'm going to give it a try tonight .... need to actually wipe the dust off the Switch ... now updating ...
  • Options
    I have been sucked into Far Cry for the last week.  So easy to unwind at night and go hunt for better guns while causing carefree chaos in a pretty amazing sandbox.  The enemy AI is just about perfect in being just dumb enough that you basically turn into an 80's action hero that can win battles in just about any way you can think of ... Sneak in and pick alarms and slip buy or drive a tank straight in the front door ..  or do both. 

The weapon selection is great.  Some inventive and outlandish stuff to go along with standard weapons.  Instead of a level tree system, the guns and apparel are where you boost stats.  Guns can have mods.  You do level up but basically unlocks better weapons and gear.  There are some pretty good weapons that can be found early which makes becoming john mcclane easy to achieve.  There is a hidden treasure gun that can really swing battles.  But a lot of the game is doing missions to get materials so to unlock weapons and mods.

It has the Ubisoft Assassins Creed mission map that  has about 1000 quests to take on before you know it. It doesn't have the druggy missions (at least yet) that I felt bogged down previous Far Cry games ... Giancarlo Esposito really knocks it out of the park as the main foe.  Crazy how much command he has ... he us really a small unassuming man at first glance but he has a fierceness in his voice and command that can really sell intimidation.  I hope he get a percentage cut in his deal.
  • Options
    Oh, you also have pets including a little dog that can distract guards with his cuteness so you can sneak up and jab a machete into their spine.

his name is Chorizo

• Options
    Jason P said:
    Oh, you also have pets including a little dog that can distract guards with his cuteness so you can sneak up and jab a machete into their spine.

his name is Chorizo

Aww, sounds cute!
  • Options
    Wall-jumping in Super Metroid sucks.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited November 2021
    My wife put $50 into a school raffle and won a PS5!  I already have a Series X and don’t really want to start buying accessories for a whole new system, so we’re still trying to figure out what to do with it.  Hopefully make some kid’s Christmas awesome!
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,778
    PJPOWER said:
    My wife put $50 into a school raffle and won a PS5!  I already have a Series X and don’t really want to start buying accessories for a whole new system, so we’re still trying to figure out what to do with it.  Hopefully make some kid’s Christmas awesome!
    This would be cool to do:

https://about.usps.com/holidaynews/operation-santa.htm
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJPOWER said:
    This would be cool to do:

https://about.usps.com/holidaynews/operation-santa.htm
    We were thinking something similar to that.  Right now we are kind of waiting until closer to Christmas for an opportunity to present itself.  
  • Options

Lots of games and so little time to invest … played briefly the following games that were offered thru game pass on xbox …

Forza 5 Horizon; Halo Infinite MP; Battlefield 2042

The big surprise is that Halo Infinite released their multiplayer yesterday a month ahead of schedule (after a one year delay).  Played a few matches and it seemed rock solid Halo action.  The multiplayer is free to anyone who has an Xbox.  Looks great on Series X and going to try it out on my last gen xbox tonight to see how it runs

Battlefield 2042 … have a 10 hour free trial and not sure I’m going to use half of those.  EA has a lot of work to go.  The technology for having 128 players is here, but with no way for players to actually talk, it is just mass chaos.  Not next-gen and looks pretty rough compared to the other games that just dropped.  Maps are too big ... sprint for several minutes to gunfire and then get sniped right away.

Forza Horizon 5 is the first true next-gen game I have played.  It looks and plays amazing.  This game oozes polish.  If you like cars, this is a no brainer to play.  Great racer to use the sticks on. 

Halo coming out had to be worst case scenario for EA and Battlefield.  And with games reaching over 100 GB, I can’t see 2042 staying on my hard drive waiting for EA to actually finish making their game.

• Options
    An achievements list and images from an/the xbox version of GoldenEye 64 seems to have just popped up. Out of nowhere.
  • Options
    Just got Farcry 6, love it so far.
    Got Little Nightmares, side scroller like Limbo or inside. Love these type of games
    And the family is all about Castle Crashers. Great easy game, love it.

• Options
    I don't do gaming much as I still have the Wii-U.  Just bought 5 games for it.  Mario Kart being one of them.  I am getting my ass handed to me in the 150cc levels.  I have yet to master the throw shit behind me method...