Options

The video game thread.

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Time to dust the sticks off and head into The Lands Between of Elden Ring!   This game is getting massive reviews and is sitting at 97 on metacritic.

I'll probably spend the next six hours obsessing over character creation which I actually am looking forward too.

• Options

My spoiler-free impressions of Elden Ring after playing for 8 hours …

Outstanding.  Taking the Dark Souls gameplay and formula and coding it from a linear (but amazing) world to an open world is a pretty tall task for a game developer to do and they somehow pulled it off.  It's not often a game with this hype not only lives up to expectations, but exceeds them.

And there are so many small things they have done that anyone who has played the Dark Souls series will appreciate …. It’s hard to put a comprehensive list of them, but there are a lot of times I’m like “oh, thank god they did that or got rid of that”.

As for new players, this game is more approachable than the Dark Soul series from the opening due to the open world allowing players to avoid combat by taking a wide birth.  A few other early game discoveries can help with enemy crowd control too.  But once you get in dungeons, it is back to head-on-a-swivel gameplay.   So I think this is a good game for someone who has never played Dark Souls to jump into. 

For seasoned Dark Souls players, there is so much to dive into in this game. A mystery waits to be explored.

Game of the Year drops in February???  I have no reason to doubt …

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    Jason P said:

My spoiler-free impressions of Elden Ring after playing for 8 hours …

Outstanding.  Taking the Dark Souls gameplay and formula and coding it from a linear (but amazing) world to an open world is a pretty tall task for a game developer to do and they somehow pulled it off.  It's not often a game with this hype not only lives up to expectations, but exceeds them.

And there are so many small things they have done that anyone who has played the Dark Souls series will appreciate …. It’s hard to put a comprehensive list of them, but there are a lot of times I’m like “oh, thank god they did that or got rid of that”.

As for new players, this game is more approachable than the Dark Soul series from the opening due to the open world allowing players to avoid combat by taking a wide birth.  A few other early game discoveries can help with enemy crowd control too.  But once you get in dungeons, it is back to head-on-a-swivel gameplay.   So I think this is a good game for someone who has never played Dark Souls to jump into. 

For seasoned Dark Souls players, there is so much to dive into in this game. A mystery waits to be explored.

Game of the Year drops in February???  I have no reason to doubt …

That's awesome!  Can't wait to play it.
    Still playing Horizon.  I ran into a serious framerate glitch yesterday, making that part of the game almost unplayable.  I hope when I return it's fixed.  
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,961
    Got my new gaming PC last week.  Been kicking 10 year olds asses on Fortnite  >:)
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,053
    OK Mariocart 8 experts!!!

Question?

When I am turning right if I don't start my drift just right I always crash.  Is the game built to not let you turn late?  You have to hit a certain mark?

2nd?
    When hitting the turn perfectly and into a drift I always have 2 problems. 1 is brushing up against another driver.  When I do I lose control and slam into a wall.  

The other is when drifting right and a left turn comes up I can't get a drift down.  I can't do a clean right drift into a left drift.

Looking for pointers.

Is it a timing thing?

Thanks
    I don't have my WIi-U connected anymore... but you don't need to hit a certain mark. Mario Kart is very forgiving. Just steer in the right direction... and you can't go to a right to left drift, without "reseting" first by releasing the drift button. As I remember it.
    Yeah that don't work.  If I don't start a drift early I am in the wall...
    Maybe thois doesn't help, but I tried:

https://youtu.be/McDZJXEiRYw
    I did more digging into this and apparently on the 200c version I need to learn how to use the break because I am going to fast.

Went back to 150cc and no problem.  It's the 200cc where I have loads of problems...
  • Options
    I looked up "best wii-u games and Bayonetta 2 was one of them.  This game is terrible..
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,065
    OK Mariocart 8 experts!!!

Question?

When I am turning right if I don't start my drift just right I always crash.  Is the game built to not let you turn late?  You have to hit a certain mark?

2nd?
    When hitting the turn perfectly and into a drift I always have 2 problems. 1 is brushing up against another driver.  When I do I lose control and slam into a wall.  

The other is when drifting right and a left turn comes up I can't get a drift down.  I can't do a clean right drift into a left drift.

Looking for pointers.

Is it a timing thing?

Thanks
    I don't have my WIi-U connected anymore... but you don't need to hit a certain mark. Mario Kart is very forgiving. Just steer in the right direction... and you can't go to a right to left drift, without "reseting" first by releasing the drift button. As I remember it.
    Yeah that don't work.  If I don't start a drift early I am in the wall...
    Maybe thois doesn't help, but I tried:

https://youtu.be/McDZJXEiRYw
    I did more digging into this and apparently on the 200c version I need to learn how to use the break because I am going to fast.

Went back to 150cc and no problem.  It's the 200cc where I have loads of problems...
    Yeah, 200cc is faster than the game was built for. That was a bonus thing that came later.

I remember having to brake alot on 200cc.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I looked up "best wii-u games and Bayonetta 2 was one of them.  This game is terrible..
    Couldn't get into it. Tried a demo. Not my kind of game
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Couldn't get into it. Tried a demo. Not my kind of game
    Is that the one with the Sarah Palin lookalike as the main protagonist?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    A little outdated of a question, but looking for recommendations on Wii and WiiU games. A coworker gave me her WiiU with a few games about a year ago. I bought Mario Kart 8 and played it with my kids. Saw Golden Eye at a pen shop a couple weeks ago and they love that.
    What are fun games for kids that adults could enjoy?
    Yes, I know it’s an old system. But to give you an idea how much I care about the latest technology, 2 weeks ago I just updated my phone to an iPhone 7.
  • Options
    My Gran Turismo 7 impressions on PS4 Pro which may interest some to know how the game runs on older gen hardware ...

It runs surprisingly well.  Very smooth 60 FPS.  Looks great except in rain ... vapor trails from cars ahead look like james bond smoke screens.  Loading times are not excessive ... probably 15 - 20 seconds to load a track which is decent for a PS4.

I've just played with the standard controller and it works very well.  Playing GT with the sticks takes me back to the 90's. 

This feels like the first true gran turismo game in 20 years.  I did not like GT sport.  Cars feel much better in this game early on. 
  • Options
    my extended GT7 experience ...

* The racing is GOOD!  This is the best console racer in at least 10 years.  Probably the last game that hooked me since Forza Motorsport on the Xbox 360.  Gran Turismo is back

* Single player progression doesn't feel like a grind although you do need to technically grind through it to unlock tracks, but it builds your garage too.

* All the tracks seem great. 

* In-car view looks great on most cars I've driven

* The rolling starts in single player give the CPU a huge advantage which is a little annoying since the game does allow grid starts in other modes

* Deep car tuning is back

* Music selection is peculiar to say the least.  Thankfully you can stream music on your PS4 these days and I made that decision rather quickly  

* Game plays very good on a controller.   On a fanatec CSL elite wheel, it is perfect. 

* Nostalgic.  I forgot how irate you can get missing a gold by 0.004 seconds

* Car selection is smaller than a game like Forza Horizon, but it is more than adequate.  One thing to note is that there are not many cars from 2015 and later. 

* I need a PS5
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Jason P said:

* The racing is GOOD!  This is the best console racer in at least 10 years.  Probably the last game that hooked me since Forza Motorsport on the Xbox 360.  Gran Turismo is back

* Single player progression doesn't feel like a grind although you do need to technically grind through it to unlock tracks, but it builds your garage too.

* The rolling starts in single player give the CPU a huge advantage which is a little annoying since the game does allow grid starts in other modes

* Music selection is peculiar to say the least.  Thankfully you can stream music on your PS4 these days and I made that decision rather quickly  

* Game plays very good on a controller.   On a fanatec CSL elite wheel, it is perfect. 

* Car selection is smaller than a game like Forza Horizon, but it is more than adequate.  One thing to note is that there are not many cars from 2015 and later. 

* I need a PS5
    I have a lend of my brother's PS4 so I can play GT Sport, I am tempted by a PS5 for GT7 but that also means a wheel and $$$$.

Also, is Autopolis in the game?

• Options
    Rygar said:
    Jason P said:

* I need a PS5
    I have a lend of my brother's PS4 so I can play GT Sport, I am tempted by a PS5 for GT7 but that also means a wheel and $$$$.

No Autopolis as of yet.  30 tracks with half real / half fictional.  The track physics are outstanding.

Wheels are tough to recommend due to the cost and the fact that few games support them well.  The lowest cost Fanatec is $500 and then you need a place to fix it to.  The Fanatec CSL elite wheel, which I must have bought 5 years ago, hasn’t gotten much use until now.  GT7 might actually make me feel like I get my money out of it finally.  Gameplay is butter smooth.

Then you have games like Assetto Corsa which have Fanatec billboards in the game, yet the Fanatec wheel I’m using to play the game isn’t properly supported by Fanatec.  Go figure. 

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    A little outdated of a question, but looking for recommendations on Wii and WiiU games. A coworker gave me her WiiU with a few games about a year ago. I bought Mario Kart 8 and played it with my kids. Saw Golden Eye at a pen shop a couple weeks ago and they love that.
    Yes, I know it’s an old system. But to give you an idea how much I care about the latest technology, 2 weeks ago I just updated my phone to an iPhone 7.
    New Super Mario Bros U
    Mario 3D World

For multiplayer, other than Mario Kart
    Maybe some Mario and Sonic at the Olympics game?
    Mario Party (not a fan personally)
    Smash brothers (not a fan personally)

• Options
    Jason P said:
    Rygar said:
    Jason P said:

* I need a PS5

No Autopolis as of yet.  30 tracks with half real / half fictional.  The track physics are outstanding.

Wheels are tough to recommend due to the cost and the fact that few games support them well.  The lowest cost Fanatec is $500 and then you need a place to fix it to.  The Fanatec CSL elite wheel, which I must have bought 5 years ago, hasn’t gotten much use until now.  GT7 might actually make me feel like I get my money out of it finally.  Gameplay is butter smooth.

Then you have games like Assetto Corsa which have Fanatec billboards in the game, yet the Fanatec wheel I’m using to play the game isn’t properly supported by Fanatec.  Go figure. 

I'm glad it isn't in the game because it sucks, I was going to make fun of you for saying the tracks are great if it was :)

Wheels are definitely expensive, I have 5 or 6 of them here now but they're harder and harder to justify.  The Fanatec DD Pro looks good.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    GT7 Update

I can't recommend getting this game after a recent update that altered the game to rely on microtransactions to purchase cars.  It was highlighted by the game being unplayable for a day because the servers were down. 

The super shady thing is they have individual cars that are selling for $120 USD.  They also created scarcity by making the $120 car available for a limited few days.   The recent update cut in-game winning payouts so if you want a drive a super rare car (which is why we play video games), after you pay $70 for the game you need to pay $110 if you want to drive a Shelby GT Le Mans car. 

This is fucked.
    Post edited by Jason P on
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    GT7 Update

I can't recommend getting this game after a recent update that altered the game to rely on microtransactions to purchase cars.  It was highlighted by the game being unplayable for a day because the servers were down. 

The super shady thing is they have individual cars that are selling for $120 USD.  They also created scarcity by making the $120 car available for a limited few days.   The recent update cut in-game winning payouts so if you want a drive a super rare car (which is why we play video games), after you pay $70 for the game you need to pay $110 if you want to drive a Shelby GT Le Mans car. 

This is fucked.
    Seriously?  This is not something that I expected in Gran Turismo...
  • Options
    The single player game has 39 missions which consist of three to five races.  you usually unlock a car for finishing 3rd or better, so the game is generous with cars until you are through the missions.  Which is about 15 hours of racing.  Then the majority of the single player content is complete, so you can choose to repeat race.  Or race online.

There are a few races that can get you 50K credits that take 3-5 minutes. So a 3,000,000 credit car will take over 60 races or you can spend $30 USD.  That's 60 races against the same predictable AI on the same track in the same car to get one car.  And then there will be another limited time car that people with fear of missing out will grind for or spend money.  A le mans Lambo was going for 12,000,000 or $120 USD and sold out. (note: PS store sells 2M credits for $20 USD)

The good thing is that the racing, cars and physics (outside of the Dodge Tomahawk which is the car version of John Elway's Football glitch).  They just need the content, but instead of throwing us a bone, they slashed our tires.

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    The Yoshi game is great.  Wooly World.  That is very fun!
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I bought a PS5 the other day.  I have been waiting, my kid desperately wants one and I wasnt in a hurry.  Elden Ring came out though and I want to play it.  Talked my wife into springing for the PS5.  1st Day I tried, was able to nab a restock sale from Walmart.  Thank you Pearl Jam F5 skills once again.  

Anyways, still kind of bummed though about the stupid Bethesda acquisition.  Starfield and Elder Scrolls are going to be exclusives.  That pisses me off.  On one hand, I kind of wanted to get an XBox for that, on the other, I dont want to reward them for being assholes.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    I bought a PS5 the other day.  I have been waiting, my kid desperately wants one and I wasnt in a hurry.  Elden Ring came out though and I want to play it.  Talked my wife into springing for the PS5.  1st Day I tried, was able to nab a restock sale from Walmart.  Thank you Pearl Jam F5 skills once again.  

Anyways, still kind of bummed though about the stupid Bethesda acquisition.  Starfield and Elder Scrolls are going to be exclusives.  That pisses me off.  On one hand, I kind of wanted to get an XBox for that, on the other, I dont want to reward them for being assholes.
    Get both.
    Problem solved!  ;) 
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Get both.
    Problem solved!  ;) 
    Yeah, Id assume Elder Scrolls is years off.  I have been toying with the idea of getting a decent desktop cpu at some point.  Maybe these games will get me there.

• Options
    MayDay10 said:

Anyways, still kind of bummed though about the stupid Bethesda acquisition.  Starfield and Elder Scrolls are going to be exclusives.  That piMayDay10 said:
    mca47 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Get both.
    Problem solved!  ;) 
    Yeah, Id assume Elder Scrolls is years off.  I have been toying with the idea of getting a decent desktop cpu at some point.  Maybe these games will get me there.

I got a gaming PC a year or so ago.  I rarely turn it on.  Should probably get back to that.
  • Options
    Got my (free) PS5... well my kid's PS5.

I tried Elden Ring last night.  Was pretty overwhelmed and didnt know what to do, so I turned it off.  

Graphically, the PS5 is beautiful and crystal-clear.  The loading times are all but gone.  Put in discs for Madden and Elden Ring and it was ready to play in just minute too.  

The interface will take some getting used to, but it seems like an improvement.

• Options
    MayDay10 said:

I tried Elden Ring last night.  Was pretty overwhelmed and didnt know what to do, so I turned it off.  

Graphically, the PS5 is beautiful and crystal-clear.  The loading times are all but gone.  Put in discs for Madden and Elden Ring and it was ready to play in just minute too.  

The interface will take some getting used to, but it seems like an improvement.

The fast loading, oddly, takes some getting used to.  I mean, in a good way.
    While playing Horizon, I used to hit start or do a fast travel, was able to put the controller down, or get a drink....not it loads in like 3 seconds.

• Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    MayDay10 said:

I was the same way...and still am to some degree, but I have been following this guy's walkthroughs and it's made it much more enjoyable than trying to figure everything out myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN7YFKHOR9Y
  • Options
    Jumb0 said:
    MayDay10 said:

I was the same way...and still am to some degree, but I have been following this guy's walkthroughs and it's made it much more enjoyable than trying to figure everything out myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN7YFKHOR9Y
    Thanks.

I found a nice little explanation of the early storyline and an accompanying video of the early-game which helps a lot.

It turns out that I bypassed what was meant to be kind of a tutorial area and a place to obtain some currency.