Options

The video game thread.

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I have tried to give Elden Ring another go.  It was just too hard in the beginning and I had nowhere to go.  All I was doing was farming XP against enemies near those gates, then trying to see if I was strong enough yet to beat some boss in a nearby cave (unsuccessfully).

Its strictly my policy to avoid this in open-world games, but Im following a youtube tutorial at least to get my feet running and learn the mechanics of the game.  It seems we are sprinting around so far grabbing useful items.  Once we get to a point where I am able to sustain life, I might go off on my own.

I pre-ordered "The Quarry" for Friday.  Seems like a cool game/concept.

In other video game news, I all but resigned myself to buying a new XBox (whatever the new one is called) once Starfield is released.  I dont play many video games these years, but Bethesda games are always at the top of my list.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,093
    Jumb0 said:
    MayDay10 said:
    Got my (free) PS5... well my kid's PS5.

I tried Elden Ring last night.  Was pretty overwhelmed and didnt know what to do, so I turned it off.  

I was the same way...and still am to some degree, but I have been following this guy's walkthroughs and it's made it much more enjoyable than trying to figure everything out myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN7YFKHOR9Y
    Watched this and there is a whole lot of "I recommend doing this later" going on, lol.
  • Options
    Oh man I didn't know this thread existed! Finished Elden Ring a few weeks ago, probably the hardest game i've ever played.

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    edited June 2022
    MayDay10 said:
    I have tried to give Elden Ring another go.  It was just too hard in the beginning and I had nowhere to go.  All I was doing was farming XP against enemies near those gates, then trying to see if I was strong enough yet to beat some boss in a nearby cave (unsuccessfully).

Its strictly my policy to avoid this in open-world games, but Im following a youtube tutorial at least to get my feet running and learn the mechanics of the game.  It seems we are sprinting around so far grabbing useful items.  Once we get to a point where I am able to sustain life, I might go off on my own.

In other video game news, I all but resigned myself to buying a new XBox (whatever the new one is called) once Starfield is released.  I dont play many video games these years, but Bethesda games are always at the top of my list.
    Keep at it.  I had a tough time in the beginning too.  My timing was waaaaay off and the controls took some time to get used to (I had just come off of playing Horizon Forbidden West).  Get your mount (given at the grace site before Stormveil Castle) and go explore.  Keep in mind, you don't have to fight everything.  The mount can take you places where you can fly past enemies.  Open up as much of the map as you can (you can see indicators where the map sites are if you look closely at the fogged areas).  
    The biggest thing I would suggest is to use cooperators.  Almost all bosses and mini-bosses have co-op sites next to them.  You can usually summon two players to help you, and it helps A LOT!  You can see what they do, how they attack and approach enemies and it'll progress you faster.  I'm level ~113 or so in the Mountain Tops of the Giants.  I've gone back to assist others in the Capital from time to time.  Not only is it helping them progress, but it's also leveling me up.  That and the Capital is a heavy area for invaders, so when the pop up we can team up to cut those fuckers down.
    Can't tell you how many hours I'm in, and I'm still discovering things I missed early on.  Non-spoiler example:  When I beat Redayn....that meteor that flies over meant something.  I didn't find out what that was until 30-40 more levels and I stumbled upon it.  
    I'm also 100% NOT using tutorials on the web/YouTube.  I want to grind this out the old school way.  
    This game is a fn blast!!

If anyone wants to team up, hit me up on PSN.  My name is the same as here "mca47"
    Post edited by mca47 on
  • Options
    I just came here to say that the Ps5 controller is something special
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Keep at it.  I had a tough time in the beginning too.  My timing was waaaaay off and the controls took some time to get used to (I had just come off of playing Horizon Forbidden West).  Get your mount (given at the grace site before Stormveil Castle) and go explore.  Keep in mind, you don't have to fight everything.  The mount can take you places where you can fly past enemies.  Open up as much of the map as you can (you can see indicators where the map sites are if you look closely at the fogged areas).  
    The biggest thing I would suggest is to use cooperators.  Almost all bosses and mini-bosses have co-op sites next to them.  You can usually summon two players to help you, and it helps A LOT!  You can see what they do, how they attack and approach enemies and it'll progress you faster.  I'm level ~113 or so in the Mountain Tops of the Giants.  I've gone back to assist others in the Capital from time to time.  Not only is it helping them progress, but it's also leveling me up.  That and the Capital is a heavy area for invaders, so when the pop up we can team up to cut those fuckers down.
    Can't tell you how many hours I'm in, and I'm still discovering things I missed early on.  Non-spoiler example:  When I beat Redayn....that meteor that flies over meant something.  I didn't find out what that was until 30-40 more levels and I stumbled upon it.  
    I'm also 100% NOT using tutorials on the web/YouTube.  I want to grind this out the old school way.  

I respect the fact that they dont hold your hand at all... but at this age, I just dont have time to figure something of this scope out.  I tried, but everything, including character dialog, mythos, and item names are all so abstract.  I have maybe an hour to play after the kids go to bed, and I havent played anything for about 2 years.  I also don't want to sit there and read all those tutorial/tips for every single screen and thing that happens.  

I just couldn't figure out what to do and why.  I had to research to find out I needed to touch that grace by the gate to even begin the leveling-up process.  I would just get my ass kicked.  I also didn't explore because I had no idea how to use the horse/steed.  I also was under the assumption that as in typical games, the further you wander from the starting point, the more brutal the environment and enemies become.  I was just trying to bust a couple dungeons nearby to the start and getting walloped.  

It was either put the game down forever (hadnt touched it in weeks), or have someone hold my hand in a youtube tutorial.  So I am following this one guy who seems to just basically run around and gather a lot of items in the beginning.  I'll probably follow through when he really starts to actually hit dungeons and game objectives and go off on my own.  

I completed 100% of witcher, Skyrim, Fallouts, etc with no help... but this seemed to be a bit much.

• Options
    MayDay10 said:
    mca47 said:
    MayDay10 said:

I respect the fact that they dont hold your hand at all... but at this age, I just dont have time to figure something of this scope out.  I tried, but everything, including character dialog, mythos, and item names are all so abstract.  I have maybe an hour to play after the kids go to bed, and I havent played anything for about 2 years.  I also don't want to sit there and read all those tutorial/tips for every single screen and thing that happens.  

I just couldn't figure out what to do and why.  I had to research to find out I needed to touch that grace by the gate to even begin the leveling-up process.  I would just get my ass kicked.  I also didn't explore because I had no idea how to use the horse/steed.  I also was under the assumption that as in typical games, the further you wander from the starting point, the more brutal the environment and enemies become.  I was just trying to bust a couple dungeons nearby to the start and getting walloped.  

It was either put the game down forever (hadnt touched it in weeks), or have someone hold my hand in a youtube tutorial.  So I am following this one guy who seems to just basically run around and gather a lot of items in the beginning.  I'll probably follow through when he really starts to actually hit dungeons and game objectives and go off on my own.  

I completed 100% of witcher, Skyrim, Fallouts, etc with no help... but this seemed to be a bit much.

I would say the first 5-10 hours I was was fn clueless.  Nothing made sense.  And I am a Souls veteran...having played all of them before...and I still was clueless.  I will say, Elden Ring....believe it or not....is actually much more digestible and straightforward than the Souls games.  Those leave you with nothing.  ER at least nudges you in the right direction (Ex: Grace site directional sparkles).  The Souls games are far more linear, as they aren't open world, but ER actually does a good job at showing you a general direction.  That direction is also the general "flow"/progression where it gets harder and harder.  
    Another tip, if you pick up an item, go into the inventory and read what it does.  It's pretty straightforward in that regard.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Two (2!) official strategy guides are up for pre-order for Elden Ring.  The first is due out in July and is a walk-thru and the second focuses on weapons, enemies, etc.

I prefer (good) books over the internet, mainly because books don't start auto-playing videos in the middle of a page or take me to an erectile dysfunction website because I tried to turn the page.  That said, the previous strategy guides for the Dark Souls series were not as helpful because the maps where hard to understand ... I found a website where someone put together basic maps in maybe Excel which were easier to understand ... hopefully they don't use the same format.

• Options
    Played an hour of the quarry.

It's great if you like horror movies. Making seemingly insignificant decisions early that butterfly into the gradual breakdown into the slasher film part of the story.
    I like it so far. It's relaxed and easy. Lots of cutscenes which is usually points off for me, but it was up front that this is basically an interactive movie.

The worst parts are when you have to control a character and explore. They walk slow and the controls to move are clumsy and worse yet the camera angle/perspective changes frequently.

Paying 60 bux for it? I dunno, maybe not worth it. Probably a great game to rent from video factory for a weekend
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,648
    Just started The Quarry as well.  Huge fan of 80s horror films and so far we’re having fun.  Lol.   
  • Options
    This Elden Ring game is one of those games listening to everyone describe it as "How the hell did you figure THAT out on your own" games.

It sounds like one that unless you had insider info you aren't putting this shit together, lol.

Is that about right?
  • Options
    This Elden Ring game is one of those games listening to everyone describe it as "How the hell did you figure THAT out on your own" games.

It sounds like one that unless you had insider info you aren't putting this shit together, lol.

Is that about right?
    I hadn't played the other games in that franchise, so it was quite a learning curve in terms of the difficulty level. Normally I don't use guides, but it felt necessary in terms of sprucing up your character against some crazy bosses. Normally I would welcome the challenge, like in my fav game Witcher 3, but some of these dudes in elden ring are not fair haha. If you're really patient you could piece together lots of lore info, but I just don't have the time to dedicate that kind of in-depth study. 

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

• Options

Is that about right?
    I think so.  I feel like you really need to invest some time and attention to get off the ground without help.  

Also:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHZOTFMyMyM
  • Options
    I decided to try MLB The Show 22 on ... The Nintendo Switch! :o   It is on sale and since I have it on GamePass on xbox for the last few years I thought having a on the go option might be nice.  But the Switch is not very powerful by any means so this is a $40 gamble.  Quick impressions of The Show on Nintendo (Sony's first Nintendo title ever!) ....

The Good

* You can link to an existing account!  No grinding to get a good team as I have access to my xbox team (i would not have bought if this option didn't exist).
    * It is a complete game.  All modes and options that exist that are on xbox are present on the Switch
    * No frame rate drops in hitting, pitching and fielding (cut scenes are pretty bad though).  Stays at or above 30 FPS while getting into mid 40's in fielding
    * Gameplay is solid.  No hiccups to disrupt play.  To me, this is much more important than graphics.
    * Handheld mode looks decent if you are not expecting sharp graphics
    * Menus move quick.  Load times are decent.
    * Now I can take my habit on the road

The Bad
    * Now I can take my habit on the road
    * Graphics are PS3 quality.  But it looks like they did try to optimize for the Switch rather then a lazy port.  It won't win any visual awards.  If you can accept the lower visual quality, then you will probably enjoy the game. 
    * Font is tiny in handheld mode
    * Joy-Con sticks are sensitive and touchy compared to Sony/MS sticks, but usable. 
    * Docked mode looks a little better, but if you want to play this game on a TV and only are getting one version, get one for a PS4 / PS5 or Xbox.  Seriously.

• Options
    I'd like to update everyone on my Mariokart 8 progress.

Did not know that different drivers, cars, wheels and such had different ratings...  After a little research I ditched Yoshi and came up with a whole new driver and rig.  I had to relearn the drifting part as I went through a few different options until I found my sweet spot.

I can now compete with the onine kiddos.  Some of them have a few things I do not yet but I'll get there.  The blond gal on a motorbike seems to be the best for quite a few of the courses or that Zelda character too.
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,863
    Still picking away at Farcry 6 - game is huge, but great
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

Did not know that different drivers, cars, wheels and such had different ratings...  After a little research I ditched Yoshi and came up with a whole new driver and rig.  I had to relearn the drifting part as I went through a few different options until I found my sweet spot.

I can now compete with the onine kiddos.  Some of them have a few things I do not yet but I'll get there.  The blond gal on a motorbike seems to be the best for quite a few of the courses or that Zelda character too.
    So not yet ready to take on the Swede?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

So not yet ready to take on the Swede?
    I'd give er a go.  Whenever I'm first in the beginning that ends come third lap. I am guaranteed two red turtles and or a boomerang up my ass and then I'm 5th...
  • Options
    Finally got a PS5 after almost two years.  To be fair, I hadn't really tried after the initial pre-order debacle.   I heard that Target was doing stock drops in the mornings for local stores.  So I went to Target's online site this morning when I woke, put in my zip code, and the three Targets in my area didn't have any ... I checked again around 8:30 am and one store had four PS5 units available for store pick-up only.  Ordered online and went after work to pick it up.  Success!!

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Interesting that Sony has decided to soak players for another $10 each for upgrading a game you already own for the PS4 ... Xbox doesn't do that.  In fact, Xbox just upgrades the game automatically to be optimized for the system you are playing it on so you don't even need to worry.

The controller feels nice.  Games seem to download at a decent speed after years of the PS4 snail pace... nope, still slow as molasses ...  I thought GT7 downloaded in 20 minutes but it was just so you could start the game and do one simple race ... still 3 hours left on an LAN direct to fiber!!   WTF, Sony??  Guess I won't be playing until the weekend.
  • Options
    Well I got some games downloaded for PS5.  Figuring out what version of a game you already own and want to transfer / upgrade is pretty confusing.  I spent about 30 minutes watching Youtube videos and searching Reddit subforums to make sure what version of Final Fantasy VII I needed to upgrade.  It isn't straight forward.  And you can accidentally download the PS4 version if you are not careful.  Sony UI ... :#

I can't overstate how simple the Xbox Series X experience was / is.  I logged in.  And shit just worked.  Go to your library and the correct version for your system auto downloads.  That simple.

OK, now that I got the why now u dont bitching out of me, the gaming experience has been pretty exciting.

Just played gran turismo 7 so far.  The PS4 Pro ran the game very well as I wasn't knocked out of my socks at first, but the lighting and shadows are much better for sure.   Just more detail everywhere.  To be fair, a racing game isn't the best choice to test the PS5 because I'm so focused on the track.  I'm happy to report that the Fanatec CSL Elite for PS4 works on the PS5!

So right now I have GT7 upgrade ($10), Horizon West  (came with system), FFIV upgrade (free) and Ghost of Tushima upgrade ($10 and another one that I had to search Reddit to figure out)

I'm considering Death Loop since it is on sale.  
  • Options
    The Dual Sense controller is excellent.  It feels perfect.  Haptic works as advertised.  9/10   I think this is Sony's biggest advantage over Xbox.  Considering the controller is what connects you with the console, it should be considered as important as the console.  My Microsoft Elite II controller is falling apart after a year and that is a replacement for the original that had faulty buttons ... this is a $180 controller ...

Maybe GT7 was the best game to test out.  My lap times are going down because I'm distracted by all the new detail I'm noticing. 
    I played the astrobot demo which was simple but interesting and showed the potential of the dual sense. 
    I tried the FF VII remake in graphics mode (meh) and performance mode (this is the way) at 60 fps which makes the game much more enjoyable.

• Options
    Jason P said:
    The Dual Sense controller is excellent.  It feels perfect.  Haptic works as advertised.  9/10   I think this is Sony's biggest advantage over Xbox.  Considering the controller is what connects you with the console, it should be considered as important as the console.  My Microsoft Elite II controller is falling apart after a year and that is a replacement for the original that had faulty buttons ... this is a $180 controller ...

Maybe GT7 was the best game to test out.  My lap times are going down because I'm distracted by all the new detail I'm noticing. 
    I played the astrobot demo which was simple but interesting and showed the potential of the dual sense. 
    I tried the FF VII remake in graphics mode (meh) and performance mode (this is the way) at 60 fps which makes the game much more enjoyable.

I have had both PS5 and XSX since launch.  The PS5 controller brings the games that utilize the haptic feedback feel so much more alive.  Once you get past some of the PlayStations minor annoyances it is a great experience.  And I absolutely loathe how the XSX has to download updates when you try to open applications/games.  The PS5 does this automatically in the  background so you never have to wait. 

• Options
    Jason P said:

I have had both PS5 and XSX since launch.  The PS5 controller brings the games that utilize the haptic feedback feel so much more alive.  Once you get past some of the PlayStations minor annoyances it is a great experience.  And I absolutely loathe how the XSX has to download updates when you try to open applications/games.  The PS5 does this automatically in the  background so you never have to wait. 

This should fix your XSX update problem ...

To make sure your console is set to update automatically:
    1. Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
    2. Select Profile & system > Settings > System > Updates.
    3. Under Updates, select Keep my console up to date to update your console automatically and Keep my games & apps up to date to update games and apps automatically.

• Options
    ^
    One note on the updates to consider as well ... I noticed when my XBX SSD is near full, some larger updates may not automatically update if the file size is too large and then I have to manually start.  Leave a buffer of about 20 GB free on your SSD to handle updates.  Other than that, updates on my system all take place at night.
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    ^
    One note on the updates to consider as well ... I noticed when my XBX SSD is near full, some larger updates may not automatically update if the file size is too large and then I have to manually start.  Leave a buffer of about 20 GB free on your SSD to handle updates.  Other than that, updates on my system all take place at night.
    Thank you! 
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910

Is that about right?
    I hadn't played the other games in that franchise, so it was quite a learning curve in terms of the difficulty level. Normally I don't use guides, but it felt necessary in terms of sprucing up your character against some crazy bosses. Normally I would welcome the challenge, like in my fav game Witcher 3, but some of these dudes in elden ring are not fair haha. If you're really patient you could piece together lots of lore info, but I just don't have the time to dedicate that kind of in-depth study. 

This is where I am at. I struggled for the first 3-4 days and was upset I even bought the thing. Then I started playing along with a guide on YouTube and it has been much more enjoyable. 
  • Options

Is that about right?

I find it much more fulfilling to figure things out on your own.  I finally beat the game a couple weeks back and after I beat the final boss, I was looking through my inventory and realized so many things I missed or could have used on the way.  For such a massive game and one that will take you soooooo many hours, it may seem silly to say "Take it slow".  Everything does make sense if you think about it, read what things do and actually listen to what the NPCs are saying.  Ex: As you progress, sitting at a Grace site, you'll notice there being more options to do stuff.  Again, take it slow and it will all make sense.  And as mentioned before, use online coop as much as possible.  Summoning people to help usually results in getting people who have already beat that boss you're struggling with and many will show you secret areas or items you might have missed.  
  • Options
    Matts3221 said:
    Jason P said:
    Matts3221 said:

Picked up Returnal for PS5 on Friday , played a few hours this weekend. Not sure if it is for me or not. I don't mind the difficult level but playing for 90 mins to die and lose everything and start over is getting a little old.

That said it does look amazing and the controls are really tight. I have never played a "rouge like" game before I should have googled that before I purchased maybe.

If I had a PS5, I would probably have bought this game.  But I'm kind of like you, a little iffy on this genre.  This is more suited for 14 year old Jason P. 

Dark Souls is the rare exception. 

Alright after a month and a half and roughly 93 hours I fully beat Returnal and went back for the secret ending and got that. I have to say this is a pretty amazing game. The hardest I have played in 20 years. That said the controls are so tight its nothing you cannot get down with hard work.

Amazing graphics , The Bio Domes are beautiful and I hope Nintendo is paying attention and just is rebuilding Metroid Prime 4 to look like this game.

Never felt more accomplished with beating the boss's in this video game then any other.  , dying after a 2 hour run would crush me but I never wanted to put it down.

Even if you never will play it just look up Returnal 3rd Boss and watch the full boss fight video. The Nemesis Boss was pay far the hardest and I yelled when I finally beat that one.

Started Returnal this weekend after picking it up on the PSN Plus subscription ... it is a very intriguing game.  I love the sci-fi element.  I have yet to fight the first boss, but seems like a solid experience so far.  Not quite Dark Souls hard, yet.
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    Matts3221 said:
    Jason P said:
    Matts3221 said:

Picked up Returnal for PS5 on Friday , played a few hours this weekend. Not sure if it is for me or not. I don't mind the difficult level but playing for 90 mins to die and lose everything and start over is getting a little old.

That said it does look amazing and the controls are really tight. I have never played a "rouge like" game before I should have googled that before I purchased maybe.

If I had a PS5, I would probably have bought this game.  But I'm kind of like you, a little iffy on this genre.  This is more suited for 14 year old Jason P. 

Dark Souls is the rare exception. 

Alright after a month and a half and roughly 93 hours I fully beat Returnal and went back for the secret ending and got that. I have to say this is a pretty amazing game. The hardest I have played in 20 years. That said the controls are so tight its nothing you cannot get down with hard work.

Amazing graphics , The Bio Domes are beautiful and I hope Nintendo is paying attention and just is rebuilding Metroid Prime 4 to look like this game.

Never felt more accomplished with beating the boss's in this video game then any other.  , dying after a 2 hour run would crush me but I never wanted to put it down.

Even if you never will play it just look up Returnal 3rd Boss and watch the full boss fight video. The Nemesis Boss was pay far the hardest and I yelled when I finally beat that one.

Started Returnal this weekend after picking it up on the PSN Plus subscription ... it is a very intriguing game.  I love the sci-fi element.  I have yet to fight the first boss, but seems like a solid experience so far.  Not quite Dark Souls hard, yet.
    I tried it as well on the PS subscription.  I like it quite a bit.