Options

The video game thread.

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    it seems that Skyrim is getting perfect or near-perfect reviews from every source. cant wait
  • Options
    Also, its mentioned in the musicians and gearheads forum... but Rocksmith is an amazing, amazing game.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Happy Skyrim Day!!!

:thumbup: :clap: :angel: :mrgreen:8-) :ugeek: :wave:
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    Happy Skyrim Day!!!

Yes!!! Just got back from Target with it. FYI if you buy it there you get a free $10 Target gift card. I also picked up the strategy guide and it's huge!
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    I've just pre-ordered the Legend Of Zelda - Skyward Sword game with the limited edition gold wii remote and cd! :D
    PJ Manchester MEN - 20.06.12
    PJ Manchester MEN - 21.06.12
    EV Manchester O2 Apollo - 28.07.12
    PJ Leeds Arena - 08.07.14
  • Options
    themessengerthemessenger Dallas Posts: 1,320
    Jason P wrote:
    Happy Skyrim Day!!!

Yes!!! Just got back from Target with it. FYI if you buy it there you get a free $10 Target gift card. I also picked up the strategy guide and it's huge!

I want to get it but might wait to see if it's on sale in the next few weeks before Christmas. How's the strategy guide look? You think it's a must buy?
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    Happy Skyrim Day!!!

I want to get it but might wait to see if it's on sale in the next few weeks before Christmas. How's the strategy guide look? You think it's a must buy?

I personally really like to have it. I know you can find all that stuff online for free but it's nice to have it all right there in a book I think. It's like 650 pages, very well put together.
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    My husband has been playing Skyrim for like 24 hours straight. :? Guess it must be good!
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    Wow. Skyrim lives up to the hype. The game is excellent. Very well put together in every way.
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Wow. Skyrim lives up to the hype. The game is excellent. Very well put together in every way.

It does for sure. I'm having a blast with it.
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    MayDay10 wrote:

It does for sure. I'm having a blast with it.

I really want it, but I'll probably wait until Christmas, when just about everybody I know gives me Best Buy gift cards, to get it. Plus right now I'm kind of busy and don't have much time to devote to it, and if it's half as good as Oblivion I'm going to need a lot of free time, which I probably won't have until after Christmas.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    So yeah, I haven't been online for a few days since I got Skyrim. :lol:

And I maybe have done 13ish side missions. I have so many open missions I'm getting overwhelmed, I have to stop talking to people!
  • Options
    Yes to Skyrim. It is a good merge between Oblivion and Fallout, but updated and expanded. I could probably play it for days on end if common sense/conscience didnt take over and told me to do other things.
  • Options
    Wow. Skyrim is amazing!

I'm digging most the changes. The map is even growing on me. And thank god they changed the d-pad "selection" wheel to the new "favorite" set-up. It's nice to be able to choose what you actually wanted to choose when in the heat of combat.

The hardbound version of the strategy guide is well worth the money, but I'm sure the paperback packs the same content if you can't find it.
  • Options
    I know there might not be a right answer, but I have a PS3 and but enjoy PC games quite a bit too. Which version of Skyrim should I go for? I'm leaning towards the PS3 version just b/c of my 55" hdtv, but if the PC version plays better, I might go for that one.

Like Satan's Futon, not a lot of free time or free cash, so I'm hoping to catch it on sale soon or use it as a gift idea hopefully.
  • Options
    I know there might not be a right answer, but I have a PS3 and but enjoy PC games quite a bit too. Which version of Skyrim should I go for? I'm leaning towards the PS3 version just b/c of my 55" hdtv, but if the PC version plays better, I might go for that one.

Like Satan's Futon, not a lot of free time or free cash, so I'm hoping to catch it on sale soon or use it as a gift idea hopefully.
    I've not played the PC version, but you get more control over the game with PC. Typically fans will release mods that can add to the game. But I prefer the 55" TV and couch over the 17" screen and office chair.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:

I've not played the PC version, but you get more control over the game with PC. Typically fans will release mods that can add to the game. But I prefer the 55" TV and couch over the 17" screen and office chair.

If you've got a computer that will run it, go for PC I would say. Like Jason said, there will end up being a lot of really cool mods released eventually and stuff like that will only work on the PC version. I personally bought it for PS3 because I switched to Mac recently and there is not a Mac version of it. But I also prefer to play on my big screen rather than burying myself in the corner at my desk.
  • Options
    Yeah, mods. PC.

I dont play games on a PC though, but that would be a cool perk.

This game on a big flatscreen hdtv with a surround sound is pretty unbelievable though. Not sure I would trade that for a PC version.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257

While the PC version will look better, I'd still go with the PS3 version.
    Couch + giant HDTV far outweighs any minor graphical upgrade seen on a PC.
    The controls are supposed to be very good on the PS3/360 versions too.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:

While the PC version will look better, I'd still go with the PS3 version.
    Couch + giant HDTV far outweighs any minor graphical upgrade seen on a PC.
    The controls are supposed to be very good on the PS3/360 versions too.

I think I'm going to go with the PS3 version just b/c of my home theater setup, and I have read that the controls were really good. The controls were really the main thing I was concerned with, due to thinking the PS3 controller would be limiting to the gameplay.

I'm a pretty casual gamer so I'm not probably going to take advantage of the mods too much. Thanks for the input!
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    My thumb hurts from Dead Island.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Danimal wrote:

Is that the game that had that creepy reverse motion trailer a few months back where the zombies throw that girl out the window?!

if that is it, can you switch to third person? Its an open world game too, correct?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    skyrim... :shock: :shock: :shock:

sat down to play this for the first time lastnight. see you all in the spring!
  • Options
    I finally got around to finishing Heavy Rain the other day and so i went through my collection of games to see what was next......went all the way back to Alundra for the original PS. Im so far behind with current games and mostly not interested in them. Already have Diablo 3 on pre-order though!!!
  • Options
    Reason # 3,568 that 99.9% of people think PETA are a bunch of assholes:

r-PETA-MARIO-BROS-large570.jpg

Unbelievable ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/15/peta-super-mario-tanooki_n_1096101.html
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Danimal wrote:

Is that the game that had that creepy reverse motion trailer a few months back where the zombies throw that girl out the window?!

if that is it, can you switch to third person? Its an open world game too, correct?

That is the game, sir.

I really don't know if you can change it to third person. I would have to look into that. And you CAN switch over to an open world game.

So far, the game is HUMONGOUS! I have finished tons of missions and I am no where near done. I think it's pretty great.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    Rayman Origins looks like it is a fantastic game.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/11/rayman-origins-is-the-best-2d-platformer-no-one-is-talking-about.ars

It's a classic 2-D platformer and looks amazing visually, and is supposed to have tight controls. I think I'll watch for a deal over black friday, and if no deal come up, I think I'll get it anyway.
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I rented Goldeneye 007: Reloaded. It's kind of cool I guess, I haven't played it long enough to make up my mind, but it's not what I was expecting. I thought it would basically be the classic game only remade with modern graphics, but that's not really the case. It's a completely different game. It's more like the recent James Bond games (Quantum Of Solace, Blood Stone) and the plot is a remake/re-imagining of the film Goldeneye. It really has nothing to do with the classic game other than that both are loosely based on the same movie.

It's still pretty cool, it really is what it would be like if they remade Goldeneye with Daniel Craig, but that also means no Sean Bean unfortunately, they use all new voice actors and appearances for the characters, and changed the settings/events. But it's the same basic overall plot.

So really the title means that it's the film Goldeneye "reloaded", not the game Goldeneye.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    My favorite video games

Nintendo
    Super Mario Brothers 1, 2, 3
    Mega Man 2, 3, 4
    Mike Tyson's Punch-Out
    Tecmo Super Bowl

Super Nintendo
    Super Mario World
    Super Mario Kart
    Donkey Kong Country
    Mortal Kombat 1, 2
    Super Street Fighter II Turbo
    NBA Jam: Tournament Edition
    Earthworm Jim
    Ken Griffey Jr Presents Major League Baseball
    Madden NFL '97

Sega Genesis
    Sonic The Hedgehog 2, 3

Nintendo 64
    Goldeneye 007
    Super Mario 64
    Donkey Kong 64
    WWF Warzone
    WCW/NWO Revenge
    1080 Snowboarding
    NFL Blitz
    Madden NFL '99

Playstation 2
    Madden NFL 2003-2007
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004, 2005

Playstation 3
    Madden NFL 2008-present
    MLB: The Show 2008-present
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters
    Ghostbusters
    Mortal Kombat 9
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I rented Goldeneye 007: Reloaded. It's kind of cool I guess, I haven't played it long enough to make up my mind, but it's not what I was expecting. I thought it would basically be the classic game only remade with modern graphics, but that's not really the case. It's a completely different game. It's more like the recent James Bond games (Quantum Of Solace, Blood Stone) and the plot is a remake/re-imagining of the film Goldeneye. It really has nothing to do with the classic game other than that both are loosely based on the same movie.

It's still pretty cool, it really is what it would be like if they remade Goldeneye with Daniel Craig, but that also means no Sean Bean unfortunately, they use all new voice actors and appearances for the characters, and changed the settings/events. But it's the same basic overall plot.

So really the title means that it's the film Goldeneye "reloaded", not the game Goldeneye.
    QOS was a very good game, I thought. Especially the MP. Quite fun (I need the golden gun kills for 1000/1000 lol).
    Blood Stone wasn't as good, SP or MP, but especially the MP.

Anywho, to newer games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOxVjbGvUpI