Options

The video game thread.

Comments

• Options
    Jason P wrote:
    I'm looking forward to Deus Ex, but I really shouldn't even buy another game until 2014 ... I still have the first Batman game in its wrapper.

i still have ps games sealed... i really need to start digging into my collection one of these days.
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I'm considering holding off on Skyrim until the Game Of The Year Edition comes out. Though that could be quite some time. I would much rather buy a version of the game with all the DLC included on it at regular game price (which is usually after the price of the game has dropped, but the price will be about the original price) than pay the regular price, and pay another $15-$20 for the DLC.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    skryim has been incredible, ive logged a ton of hours so far. had three quests get bugged on me though in the past week or two that i cannot finish. apparently there is a patch coming to xbox real soon for various things including fixing some of the broken quests.

i don't experience much lag when playing, but the loads time are LONG (like fallout new vegas long). i travel light and save often. i've actually had a few loads freeze on me in which i had to restart my xbox.

so my piece of advice that goes hand and hand with any RPG... SAVE SAVE SAVE.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    voidofman wrote:
    I put in over 100 hours on Oblivion and haven't started the main quest. :shock:
    What ever you do, don't lose Jauffre.

I told him to wait somewhere early in the game .... 150 hours later when I decided to resume the main quest, I couldn't find him. Probably spent 20 hours searching for the motherhumper and never did find him.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    Not entirely convinced about which order Skyrim and Forza should be in though...
    Same for me. It will be race down to the wire. I suspect it will be Skyrim because that game is unbelievable ... although I just discovered a tuning calculator spreadsheet that helps you tune each car ... some serious car geeks / engineers had to have put this together.

You can download it here:

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/1/4859908/ShowThread.aspx

It won't make the perfect setup, but it's supposed to be a great head-start. I look forward to testing it out on a R3 Lambo that is almost useless to me in its current setup.
    I used the tuner spreadsheet on my lamborghini 2012 aventador. The car used to control like a wild horse that was high on PCP ... it now rides like dream! There was a race where before the tune I finished 7th ... after the tune I won by 18 seconds.
  • Options
    voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Jason P wrote:
    voidofman wrote:
    I put in over 100 hours on Oblivion and haven't started the main quest. :shock:
    What ever you do, don't lose Jauffre.

I told him to wait somewhere early in the game .... 150 hours later when I decided to resume the main quest, I couldn't find him. Probably spent 20 hours searching for the motherhumper and never did find him.

Will take that under advisement, I might have got to him but can't remember if I told him to wait somewhere.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I think i'm getting Saints row 3 for x-mas.. anyone else play this yet?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I think i'm getting Saints row 3 for x-mas.. anyone else play this yet?
    The SR games are great fun. That said they seem to drop in price pretty fast so I'm going to wait.
    Jason P wrote:
    I used the tuner spreadsheet on my lamborghini 2012 aventador. The car used to control like a wild horse that was high on PCP ... it now rides like dream! There was a race where before the tune I finished 7th ... after the tune I won by 18 seconds.

Do a search on the Storefront for setups and designs with keyword 'tmas' - there is a group of players doing 12 days of Christmas or something for free (although someone put their design for 5k, but it's a Saleen truck so who cares anyway).

Other good tuners: carlalsford, idrvfast

I have been doing some of my own and they're not bad. Will definitely check out the spreadsheet since you're giving it a good vote of confidence. I can't believe how much of an effect aero has in this iteration. I needed to put 75% aero on my 458 to make it controllable.
  • Options
    nippleholicnippleholic Toronto Posts: 1,083
    a couple overlooked games are on my list:

L.A. Noire (a game that actually relies on your brains and not on your dexterity).
    Assassin's Creed: Revelations (granted, basically a setup for ACIII next year, but a nice send off for Ezio and Altair).
    NHL 12 (only marginally better than NHL 11 with an improved physics engine, but still a fun game).

still need to play Arkham City.
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Fort Worth (x2), Austin (x2)

• Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I got Battlefield 3 for my dad, Arkam City for a friend and Skyrim for my brother.

I don't have a video game system because i don't play but out of all of them Skyrim makes me jealous and makes me want to go buy an xbox so i can play it. Must resist temptation!
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    a couple overlooked games are on my list:

L.A. Noire (a game that actually relies on your brains and not on your dexterity).
    Assassin's Creed: Revelations (granted, basically a setup for ACIII next year, but a nice send off for Ezio and Altair).
    NHL 12 (only marginally better than NHL 11 with an improved physics engine, but still a fun game).

still need to play Arkham City.
    haven't played AC yet, but LA Noire is awesome. The way it builds up to the superb ending is terrific. NHL continues to be my favorite sports game franchise. I love this years installment.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • Options
    ElEl Posts: 139
    AC seems really rushed and short. Compared to Brotherhood, or even AC II it's not really that good. The plot is great, and the ending is a mindfuck, but overall: AC 2 = Brotherhood > Revelations > AC 1
    Music is what feelings sound like.
  • Options
    nippleholicnippleholic Toronto Posts: 1,083
    EZ1221C wrote:
    haven't played AC yet, but LA Noire is awesome. The way it builds up to the superb ending is terrific. NHL continues to be my favorite sports game franchise. I love this years installment.

yeah, LA Noire is one of those games that kind of got lost in the shuffle, but the atmosphere and overall environment is phenomenal.
    El wrote:
    AC seems really rushed and short. Compared to Brotherhood, or even AC II it's not really that good. The plot is great, and the ending is a mindfuck, but overall: AC 2 = Brotherhood > Revelations > AC 1

yeah, i agree...i think Ubisoft is saving all the big stuff for AC3 next year and basically just focused on the multiplayer aspect. the addition of bombs and the hookblade were minimal improvements.
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Fort Worth (x2), Austin (x2)

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Has anyone played the Goldeneye 007 game? Goldeneye for N64 has to be one of my favorite games of all time so I kinda want to check this one out...
  • Options
    Anybody pick up Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic?

I don't play MMORPG's, but it is Star Wars ... and Bioware created it. :think:

But I don't like being charged $15 a month to play a game I'm already paying $60 for. :x
    But it is Star Wars ... I feel I'm being tempted by the Dark Side of the Force. :ugeek:
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Jason P wrote:

But I don't like being charged $15 a month to play a game I'm already paying $60 for. :x
    But it is Star Wars ... I feel I'm being tempted by the Dark Side of the Force. :ugeek:
    Nope, I'm not paying $15 a month for a game. XBL is my exception to the rule ;)

I do have a typically non-mmo Xbox friend who got and it is all he's played since.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:

It's just called "The Old Republic", "Knights Of The Old Republic" is what the two RPG games were called that came out on XBOX. Those games were awesome, I was sad they abandoned the third game in favor of making a MMORPG.
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
  • Options
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    Kat wrote:
    love it Kat! thanks for brightening my day a little.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Jason P wrote:

looks really cool, but is it just on PC?? I hate playing on my PC..too old and slow. if its on PS3 I'll get it.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Started playing Skyrim today, but it's driving me crazy. It's so slow. I even installed it to my XBOX which usually makes games run faster, but no change. Every time I open the menus to save, or go into my inventory, or even just bartering, I have to sit there for 5-10 seconds. And forget going into a building, cave, or any new area, it takes forever.
  • Options
    themessengerthemessenger Dallas Posts: 1,320
    Started playing Skyrim today, but it's driving me crazy. It's so slow. I even installed it to my XBOX which usually makes games run faster, but no change. Every time I open the menus to save, or go into my inventory, or even just bartering, I have to sit there for 5-10 seconds. And forget going into a building, cave, or any new area, it takes forever.

That's easily the most annoying part of it for me too with the long load times (on my PS3). I'm at a level 26 or so and the files get larger and the load times worse the more I progress. I heard it's better on PC but I don't really have anything but a cheap laptop so didn't want to upgrade or buy a new one for that reason alone.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    There is an issue with the game if you install it to the hard drive. The graphics rendering looks worse and it seems to be slower. I uninstalled mine and it's much better.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Hmm ... I have it installed on my HD and have not noticed any problems. Do you have one of the original xbox or the newer version?
  • Options
    This game is wearing me out. I have spent more time focusing on the logistics of carrying all my loot back to town so I can sell it than I have actually playing. Since I've started playing yesterday I've cleared 3 dungeons/caves, all of which took about an hour total. The entire rest of the time has been spent going back and forth from the dungeon to town, carrying back all of my shit. Even using fast travel the ratio of logistics to actual playing is probably 5:1, usually making 6-7 trips per location. There's just so much more stuff, and heavier stuff in these places than on previous games. I guess I could leave a lot of it behind, but I want the gold, and it seems wasteful to leave it.
  • Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Jason P wrote:

I got it for X-Mas, if i had known about the 15 bucks a month, i would have never done it, cant even play unless you pay, and you have to log onto different servers, and if you create a character on one server and it gets full you cant logon, so you have to create a different character on another server, start all over, it's F'n ridiculous. There's no pause button, at all, you dont use the mouse to move the character like in Dragon's Age, it's all keyboard, the whole thing is just a fuckin trainwreck, i cant beleive bioware was attached to this at all.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,936
    had a friend over the other night and we were bored,. decided to hook up the SNES. still worked, but unfortunately i only had one controller that was working :lol:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    This game is wearing me out. I have spent more time focusing on the logistics of carrying all my loot back to town so I can sell it than I have actually playing. Since I've started playing yesterday I've cleared 3 dungeons/caves, all of which took about an hour total. The entire rest of the time has been spent going back and forth from the dungeon to town, carrying back all of my shit. Even using fast travel the ratio of logistics to actual playing is probably 5:1, usually making 6-7 trips per location. There's just so much more stuff, and heavier stuff in these places than on previous games. I guess I could leave a lot of it behind, but I want the gold, and it seems wasteful to leave it.

Im the same way. Power up your 'stamina' and that will provide more capacity. Having a companion with you will also be huge for carrying. Also getting a house will be a great place to stash things. Also make a weight to gold ratio cap. I usually go by 10 - 1.