Options

The video game thread.

Comments

• Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Rygar wrote:
    I rented Goldeneye 007: Reloaded. It's kind of cool I guess, I haven't played it long enough to make up my mind, but it's not what I was expecting. I thought it would basically be the classic game only remade with modern graphics, but that's not really the case. It's a completely different game. It's more like the recent James Bond games (Quantum Of Solace, Blood Stone) and the plot is a remake/re-imagining of the film Goldeneye. It really has nothing to do with the classic game other than that both are loosely based on the same movie.

It's still pretty cool, it really is what it would be like if they remade Goldeneye with Daniel Craig, but that also means no Sean Bean unfortunately, they use all new voice actors and appearances for the characters, and changed the settings/events. But it's the same basic overall plot.

So really the title means that it's the film Goldeneye "reloaded", not the game Goldeneye.
    QOS was a very good game, I thought. Especially the MP. Quite fun (I need the golden gun kills for 1000/1000 lol).
    Blood Stone wasn't as good, SP or MP, but especially the MP.

Anywho, to newer games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOxVjbGvUpI

Yeah, I loved QoS. I think Golden Gun was the last thing I got for full completion also. I haven't even bothered trying to play it online for over a year or maybe two. It got to the point where everybody was just running around with a shotgun. Which is fine for some maps, but on maps like the construction site it was really dumb. I didn't mind other teams doing it, but when my teammates were doing it I started to lose my patience and just stopped playing.

I liked Blood Stone, but I just rented it and didn't get around to playing it online. I heard the multiplayer was weak compared to QoS though. I thought the story mode was really good though. 007 Mode was frustrating though, especially the last level (before the final car chase level) where the guy had the big machine gun on the helicopter. I probably died 1000 times before I finally beat it.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Yeah, I loved QoS. I think Golden Gun was the last thing I got for full completion also. I haven't even bothered trying to play it online for over a year or maybe two. It got to the point where everybody was just running around with a shotgun. Which is fine for some maps, but on maps like the construction site it was really dumb. I didn't mind other teams doing it, but when my teammates were doing it I started to lose my patience and just stopped playing.

I liked Blood Stone, but I just rented it and didn't get around to playing it online. I heard the multiplayer was weak compared to QoS though. I thought the story mode was really good though. 007 Mode was frustrating though, especially the last level (before the final car chase level) where the guy had the big machine gun on the helicopter. I probably died 1000 times before I finally beat it.
    hahaha oh yeah the auto shotty! Right from the get go people were complaining about that one. It's been so long since I played I forget what my go-to weapons were. I had the shotgun on a quick setup for the maps when I was the only one who wasn't using it, but I used to use the magnum sidearm and that thing was nasty.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    "AET Game Of The Year"

Pick your top 3 games of the year.

My nominees:

Forza Motorsports 4

Skyrim

Dark Souls
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    Jason P wrote:
    "AET Game Of The Year"

Pick your top 3 games of the year.

My nominees:

Forza Motorsports 4

Skyrim

Dark Souls

There are so many games that are supposed to be awesome that I just haven't played yet (Skyrim, Uncharted 3...)
    Of the games I HAVE played this year, Dark Souls is easily my favorite. I think I'm like 50 hours or so in and I still have a lot to do.
  • Options
    Skyrim, Dark Souls and Deus Ex
  • Options
    themessengerthemessenger Dallas Posts: 1,320
    I have only played 1 game this year but can't imagine any game being better than it.

1, 2, & 3: Skyrim
  • Options
    Skyrim, Dark Souls and Deus Ex
    I'm looking forward to Deus Ex, but I really shouldn't even buy another game until 2014 ... I still have the first Batman game in its wrapper.
  • Options
    1. Skyrim
    2. Portal 2
    3. Forza 4
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    1. Skyrim
    2. Portal 2
    3. Forza 4

good list. i'd go with this too.
  • Options
    rival. wrote:
    1. Skyrim
    2. Portal 2
    3. Forza 4

good list. i'd go with this too.
    Not bad, but I haven't played P2 so I'd go with:

Forza 4
    Skyrim
    Battlefield 3

Not entirely convinced about which order Skyrim and Forza should be in though...
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    1. Skyrim
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    1. Skyrim
    2. Portal 2
    3. Forza 4

I wish I were able to play the Portal games, they look fun. But the first one gave me a headache and made me a little nauseous. And not because I had to think too much, but it was visually aggravating. It was too much work for my eyes or something. I haven't had a video game make me feel bad like that since the old Wolfenstein games, sort of like motion sickness with a touch of eye strain.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Not entirely convinced about which order Skyrim and Forza should be in though...
    Same for me. It will be race down to the wire. I suspect it will be Skyrim because that game is unbelievable ... although I just discovered a tuning calculator spreadsheet that helps you tune each car ... some serious car geeks / engineers had to have put this together.

You can download it here:

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/1/4859908/ShowThread.aspx

It won't make the perfect setup, but it's supposed to be a great head-start. I look forward to testing it out on a R3 Lambo that is almost useless to me in its current setup.
  • Options
    Even though I've only put an hour or so into it, I know that Skyrim is ultimately everything everyone is making it out to be. I just haven't had the time yet. I've only put like 30 minutes into Dark Souls as well. But I will say that I agree about Forza 4. I've managed to put over 10 hours into that so it must be doing something right. I still haven't even opened Batman which many are putting on their "best of" lists. I do love me some Uncharted 3 as well and am over halfway through that, so I'm thinking that if I had to pick three based on what I've actually played and what I expect then I'm going to have to name five :lol:

Skyrim
    Uncharted 3
    Forza 4
    Batman: Arkham City
    Dark Souls

The fact that my list does not include Gears of War 3, Modern Warfare 3, Deus Ex:HR, NBA 2K12, Legend of Zelda: SS, Portal 2, NHL 12, or Battlefield 3 should indicate what a strong year it was for gaming. I've actually put more time in NHL 12 and Modern Warfare 3 than anything other than Forza 4, but just because I enjoy playing the games doesn't mean I think they're the best. Is that weird? I mean I KNOW that Skyrim is probably far and away the "best", but with the amount of time needed to devote to it it's hard to have "fun" with it in short spurts when compared to a racing or sports game.

I guess if I made a "fun" top three it would be:

NHL 12
    Modern Warfare 3
    Forza 4

Sorry for going on so long, but I could talk games forever. :)
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    There are so many games that are supposed to be awesome that I just haven't played yet (Skyrim, Uncharted 3...)
    Of the games I HAVE played this year, Dark Souls is easily my favorite. I think I'm like 50 hours or so in and I still have a lot to do.
    The game design of Dark Souls is flat-out amazing.
  • Options
    Even though I've only put an hour or so into it, I know that Skyrim is ultimately everything everyone is making it out to be. I just haven't had the time yet. I've only put like 30 minutes into Dark Souls as well. But I will say that I agree about Forza 4. I've managed to put over 10 hours into that so it must be doing something right. I still haven't even opened Batman which many are putting on their "best of" lists. I do love me some Uncharted 3 as well and am over halfway through that, so I'm thinking that if I had to pick three based on what I've actually played and what I expect then I'm going to have to name five :lol:

Skyrim
    Uncharted 3
    Forza 4
    Batman: Arkham City
    Dark Souls

The fact that my list does not include Gears of War 3, Modern Warfare 3, Deus Ex:HR, NBA 2K12, Legend of Zelda: SS, Portal 2, NHL 12, or Battlefield 3 should indicate what a strong year it was for gaming. I've actually put more time in NHL 12 and Modern Warfare 3 than anything other than Forza 4, but just because I enjoy playing the games doesn't mean I think they're the best. Is that weird? I mean I KNOW that Skyrim is probably far and away the "best", but with the amount of time needed to devote to it it's hard to have "fun" with it in short spurts when compared to a racing or sports game.

I guess if I made a "fun" top three it would be:

NHL 12
    Modern Warfare 3
    Forza 4

Sorry for going on so long, but I could talk games forever. :)
    It has been a great year for games. I'm saving Gears 3 and Zelda for the gaming doldrums of Feb / March. I flat-out skipped even thinking about the shooters, except GoldenEye Reloaded which I picked up for $25.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    1. Skyrim
    2. Portal 2
    3. Forza 4

I wish I were able to play the Portal games, they look fun. But the first one gave me a headache and made me a little nauseous. And not because I had to think too much, but it was visually aggravating. It was too much work for my eyes or something. I haven't had a video game make me feel bad like that since the old Wolfenstein games, sort of like motion sickness with a touch of eye strain.

I thought that was just me. I get horribly nauseous when I play Portal. It seems like an enjoyable game and all. I dont really get nauseous to easily either.

Skyrim though. Is incredible. I have played many hours and it doesnt get old.
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Forza 4
    Skyrim
    Battlefield 3

you never liked bad company 2 if i remember, but you are into BF3?

loved BF3 before the new map pack. conquest assault is pure garbage (so are the maps, and i know it's a rerelease, but how many desert maps can you have in one game? where are the snow maps, those are the best).

FIFA12 should get some consideration. since its release i think it has been able to maintain top 5, if not top 3 most played online game out there.
  • Options
    The fact that my list does not include Gears of War 3, Modern Warfare 3, Deus Ex:HR, NBA 2K12, Legend of Zelda: SS, Portal 2, NHL 12, or Battlefield 3 should indicate what a strong year it was for gaming.

gears of war 3 could go down as the most over rated. the campaign was blah, online game modes other than horde were still horrible (no effort to improve them or listen to the community about what was broken in GOW2). beast mode was an awesome addition though.

with games like BF3, skyrim, NHL12 constantly in my rotation, one game i still reach for since it's release in january: tron evolution. the online game play is addicting. totally an underrated game. fun experience everytime i pop it in.

if you haven't seen any online play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9lLJE_B7dQ
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    GTA3 just came out for the iPhone 4, 4S, iPad, and iPad 2. I have it on my iPad 2 and 4S and its freakin awesome! Highly recommend it.

$5 to nostalgia hard? its a steal.

edit: ohhh... and a few android devices too lol.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    GTA3 just came out for the iPhone 4, 4S, iPad, and iPad 2. I have it on my iPad 2 and 4S and its freakin awesome! Highly recommend it.

$5 to nostalgia hard? its a steal.

edit: ohhh... and a few android devices too lol.

And Sonic CD just came out for iOS today too. Well worth the $2.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    rival. wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    Forza 4
    Skyrim
    Battlefield 3

you never liked bad company 2 if i remember, but you are into BF3?

loved BF3 before the new map pack. conquest assault is pure garbage (so are the maps, and i know it's a rerelease, but how many desert maps can you have in one game? where are the snow maps, those are the best).

FIFA12 should get some consideration. since its release i think it has been able to maintain top 5, if not top 3 most played online game out there.
    The Battlefield I couldn't stand was Bad Co 1 (and Modern Combat, but we won't speak about that). I loved Bad Co 2 and BF2, Vietnam, etc.
    My only complaint with Bf3 is that there's too many small maps for me. I prefer larger maps. I haven't tried the Karkand pack but if my BF2 days are anything to go by, should be good. I only play hardcore conquest
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    My only complaint with Bf3 is that there's too many small maps for me. I prefer larger maps. I haven't tried the Karkand pack but if my BF2 days are anything to go by, should be good. I only play hardcore conquest

i actually got so fed up with BF3 last night, i popped in BC2 and it looks like EA disconnected those servers to support BF3 more. i couldn't connect to a game and looking at some posts on xbox's forums it looks as if everyone is having the same problem. wtf is that about!?

i only played hardcore conquest in BC2, but in BF3 it seems core is a little more "realisitic" and doesn't require an entire clip to kill someone (and i think hit detection is better). plus, it's such a pain in the ass to locate the hardcore games (they have to patch the menu to make it more accessible) that i just deal with core now.
  • Options
    I'm surprised no one seemed to mention The Witcher (both 1 and 2: Assasin of Kings); after playing many RPGsI have to say that these two games, especially the latter, are top-notch in every aspect. Really the most serious rpg you can possibly play. The engine on the second game is ridiculous. I always thought this game is really underrated; maybe the word doesn't spread cause it's just a small Polish team doing the work and they don't spend money on creating hype like Bethesda did with Skryim.
  • Options
    hoobabi wrote:
    I'm surprised no one seemed to mention The Witcher (both 1 and 2: Assasin of Kings); after playing many RPGsI have to say that these two games, especially the latter, are top-notch in every aspect. Really the most serious rpg you can possibly play. The engine on the second game is ridiculous. I always thought this game is really underrated; maybe the word doesn't spread cause it's just a small Polish team doing the work and they don't spend money on creating hype like Bethesda did with Skryim.

I've never heard of those games. Maybe if they did "spend money on creating hype", which is also known as advertising, I would know what the hell you're talking about.
  • Options
    voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    ^^ Witcher 2 does look really good. I haven't played a game on the pc since the late '90's though.

And with Skyrim, I didn't need to buy into any of the hype, I've played Morrowind and Oblivion so I knew exactly what I was getting with the new one.

(Skyrim was named Game Of The Year last weekend at the VGA's on Spike).
  • Options
    voidofman wrote:
    ^^ Witcher 2 does look really good. I haven't played a game on the pc since the late '90's though.

And with Skyrim, I didn't need to buy into any of the hype, I've played Morrowind and Oblivion so I knew exactly what I was getting with the new one.

(Skyrim was named Game Of The Year last weekend at the VGA's on Spike).

Yeah, I had played the previous 2 also, although it took about 5 false starts (in which I sometimes made it halfway through the game) and a couple of years before I finally mustered the patience to finish the game. But Oblivion kept my attention enough to play it through all the way on my first attempt.

I haven't seen much in the way of hype over Skyrim, except for people who have played it talking about how awesome it was. There was that one commercial I saw, but advertising just makes sense. Although I still have no clue what the game looks like as it was a live action commercial. They did the same with Halo Reach. I didn't see a single screen shot or shot of gameplay until I put it in my XBOX.
  • Options
    I put in over 100 hours on Oblivion and haven't started the main quest. :shock:

Skyrim visuals are pretty good, there is a lag problem on the PS3 though. Boo.
  • Options
    voidofman wrote:
    I put in over 100 hours on Oblivion and haven't started the main quest. :shock:

Skyrim visuals are pretty good, there is a lag problem on the PS3 though. Boo.
    What is the main quest anyways? I'm thinking it has something to do with the stormcloacks, but with this game I honestly can't tell.

Haven't noticed a really bad lag problem yet. The only time it happens for me is when I open my dresser in Whiterun and occasionally when I'm running. My game does freeze quite a bit though.
  • Options
    The main quest has to do with learning Shouts in the Dragon language which is pretty cool. I picked the Stromcloaks in the Civil War story since I don't like the Empire.

If you are having lag issues I read that turning off all the autosave options (resting, travel, etc.) will cut down on the lag, as well as not keeping every little item.