Options

The video game thread.

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124

Anyone play tecmo super bowl? The single greatest video game of all time.

It is the 6th greatest game of all time.

1) Super Mario World
    2) Goldeneye
    3) Civilzation IV
    4) Final Fantasy II
    5) Oblivion: The Elder Scrolls IV
    6) Super Tecmo Bowl
    7) Red Alert 2
    8) Red Dead Redemption
    9) Zelda: Link to the Past
    10) Mass Effect 2
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Jason P said:

It's been a while since I've done a marathon session of gaming (probably a couple of years), but since it was freezing and snowing last weekend, I probably put 15 hours into Far Cry 4. It is a very good game. Skyrim with guns. Probably the best single player FPS out there. You just do what you want to and it has good RPG mechanics as well.

The only thing that annoys me is the rebels who just randomly fire off their automatic weapons into the air.
  • Options

Jason P said:

It's been a while since I've done a marathon session of gaming (probably a couple of years), but since it was freezing and snowing last weekend, I probably put 15 hours into Far Cry 4. It is a very good game. Skyrim with guns. Probably the best single player FPS out there. You just do what you want to and it has good RPG mechanics as well.

The only thing that annoys me is the rebels who just randomly fire off their automatic weapons into the air.
    Eagles suck as well
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,622
    edited February 2015
    Jason P said:

Anyone play tecmo super bowl? The single greatest video game of all time.

It is the 6th greatest game of all time.

1) Super Mario World
    2) Goldeneye
    3) Civilzation IV
    4) Final Fantasy II
    5) Oblivion: The Elder Scrolls IV
    6) Super Tecmo Bowl
    7) Red Alert 2
    8) Red Dead Redemption
    9) Zelda: Link to the Past
    10) Mass Effect 2
    Some good choices. Never tried 2, 7, and 9.

I would go
    1) Civilization 4
    2) Skyrim
    3) Fallout 3
    4) Tecmo Super Bowl
    5) GTA San Andreas
    6) Red Dead Redemption
    7) Baseball Stars
    8) NCAA Football 12
    9) ToeJam and Earl
    10) MLB The Show 14

h.m. Battletoads, NHL 94, pick a modern Madden/NHL, pick a modern FIFA World Cup, Bionic Commando, Civilization III, GTA V, Rocksmith 2014, Fallout New Vegas, Third World War
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,262
    Anyone check out the GTA5 heists? I played through the first one. Pretty fun!!
    If anyone wants to team up, I'd love to play with ya!
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    mca47 said:

Anyone check out the GTA5 heists? I played through the first one. Pretty fun!!
    If anyone wants to team up, I'd love to play with ya!

PS4 or XB1?
  • Options
    PS4
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,229
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    I don't see how that could possibly be any good. Hahaha.
  • Options
    Anyone pick up Bloodborne? It's got a 93 on Metacritic. I'm a huge fan of the Souls series so I can wait to get my hands on it!
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    Up until about 6 months ago, I played World of Warcraft...pretty religiously most of the time as long as we had the funds for my subscription...then I went cold turkey...I don't miss it...
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Bloodborne looks like a must own. Heard its got a huge amount of playing time.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Kids and I are really getting into Skylanders Trapteam for Wii U.
    Great game!

• Options

Yeah, and I heard it's hard as shit! Hahaha. I think I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    It's really funny to see mentions of Civ 4 and Warcraft - when I was younger I used to play the very first editions of those games, then a few years later, particularly with Warcraft it seemed like everyone was playing it. It was never financially feasible for me to maintain a video game habit, which I'm actually pretty grateful for since i can get sucked in fairly easily. I recently allowed myself to purchase the Sims 4, then had to upgrade my ram. Games still really buggy so it eventually pisses me off so I quit for a few weeks.
    I have a Wii U but never hooked it up.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    mca47 said:

Yeah, and I heard it's hard as shit! Hahaha. I think I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow.
    Yeah, I heard its really tough. I redboxed a dark souls game a while back and just didn't have the time to dedicate to it. Part of me wants to pick up Bloodborne now that I understand how these games work (dying a million times until you perfect everything). Seems like beating one of these games is a major achievement.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    jervin007 said:

mca47 said:

Yeah, I heard its really tough. I redboxed a dark souls game a while back and just didn't have the time to dedicate to it. Part of me wants to pick up Bloodborne now that I understand how these games work (dying a million times until you perfect everything). Seems like beating one of these games is a major achievement.
    I beat Demon Souls and Dark Souls. Hit a rough patch on Dark Souls 2 and never got back to it. Def gonna check out Bloodborne!
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Eagles suck as well
    Those damn eagles! I am playing Far Cry and loving the game. Taken out 3/4 fortresses at this point. Game is just huge. Tons of playing time.

Opted to start using gamefly. Availability is rough with new releases, but its a hell of a lot cheaper than buying games.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i'm more a betamax game kinda fella.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    Anyone play Bloodborne yet? How does it compare to Dark Spuls?
    mca47 said:

jervin007 said:

mca47 said:

I beat Demon Souls and Dark Souls. Hit a rough patch on Dark Souls 2 and never got back to it. Def gonna check out Bloodborne!
    I beat dark souls, but demon souls and dark souls 2 kinda pissed me off with your health bar lowering to 1/2 max as you died. I'm ok with a fair but hard gameplay system, but i think the health bar penalty is horseshit considering how hard you work for souls and that the game is built upon knowing you will die a lot.

Just downloaded bloodborne but may be a few days before I can play it.
  • Options
    I have about ten hours of playtime into Bloodborne. It's very similar to Dark Souls from a glance. It's gameplay is more fast and fluid and you don't ever get a shield, but that is how I played Dark Souls (although I kept a shield on hand). In Dark Souls, I preferred to be light and nimble since even most enemies could kill you with a few hits. That has made Bloodborne a much easier game for me to play, especially since you can gain health with an effective parry.

One of the biggest changes is that Bloodborne seems so far to offer 1/10th of the optimization and tinkering that Dark Souls did. Plus there seem to be few weapons.

I also preferred Dark Souls atmosphere better so far because the environments would change, unlike (so far) Bloodborne looks great but the same (so far).
  • Options
    Jason P said:

I have about ten hours of playtime into Bloodborne. It's very similar to Dark Souls from a glance. It's gameplay is more fast and fluid and you don't ever get a shield, but that is how I played Dark Souls (although I kept a shield on hand). In Dark Souls, I preferred to be light and nimble since even most enemies could kill you with a few hits. That has made Bloodborne a much easier game for me to play, especially since you can gain health with an effective parry.

One of the biggest changes is that Bloodborne seems so far to offer 1/10th of the optimization and tinkering that Dark Souls did. Plus there seem to be few weapons.

I also preferred Dark Souls atmosphere better so far because the environments would change, unlike (so far) Bloodborne looks great but the same (so far).

I still haven't gotten it yet, but will soon. That's not good news for me. My builds in Dark/Deamon Souls was always mid range. Medium shield, medium weight armor so I could move around and a quick sword. I bet I'm gonna suck! hahahaha

Also, does Bloodbourne have an invasion system? That was always one of the most amazing and frustrating parts of the Souls games. Can you also lay down signs for help?
  • Options
    mca47 said:

Jason P said:

I still haven't gotten it yet, but will soon. That's not good news for me. My builds in Dark/Deamon Souls was always mid range. Medium shield, medium weight armor so I could move around and a quick sword. I bet I'm gonna suck! hahahaha

Also, does Bloodbourne have an invasion system? That was always one of the most amazing and frustrating parts of the Souls games. Can you also lay down signs for help?
    It does have the invasion system and notes, although I've been playing offline so far.

Dark Souls 2 came out today for the next gen systems.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

mca47 said:

Jason P said:

It does have the invasion system and notes, although I've been playing offline so far.

Dark Souls 2 came out today for the next gen systems.
    That's cool they have the invasion system. I've actually never played a Souls game offline. Playing online (and I rarely play games online) is so much fun!
    That's cool that DS2 is re-released. While it wasn't as good as Deamon Souls, or Dark Souls, it's still a fun game and should allow people who missed out on it's first release to get in to the Souls world. Hopefully they fixed the framerate issues. I also heard that was a bit of a problem with Bloodbourne. For such a complex and detailed game, how they can't fix the framerate issues is beyond me!
  • Options
    Picked up Bloodborne yesterday. Damn, that shit is hard! I really miss having a shield! lol!
    The Souls games made it really important to fight guys one at a time as getting ganged up pretty much meant your death. Bloodborne takes that to a whole new level.
  • Options
    Dark Souls 2 looks great on PS4. It runs at a smooth 60 FPS. I wasn't expecting it to look that much better.

The enemy layout is different then the original ... same for some item drops. From what I've seen, they are also dropping in tougher enemies where popular loot is located, just to fuck with us.

I spent about an hour reloading new characters cause I was choosing the petrified stone as my gift in hopes of getting a pretty bad ass spear from the bird nest. Now I'm just building my strength up so I can use it since I chose the mage build.
  • Options
    That's cool Jason! Amazing what a solid FPS can do for a game!
  • Options
    Well, I tried to play Bloodborne for the second time. It couldn't load my previous saved game because of an update wasn't installed or some shit. Ugh! Glad I wasn't too far in!
    Read online that the game update 1.02 installs at the same time as the disc. So when the game is finally installed, it makes the patch useless...or something along those lines.
    Trying to re-install the disc with the patch on pause. Hopefully that'll work!
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    That sounds very backwards mca!

Stranger things have happened though.
  • Options
    One of the funny things as while I was nerfing characters, I was giving them basic 80's names like Randy, Earl, Kevin etc. The character that got the spear from the petrified stone ended up being "Brad".

This could possibly be the first Brad to fight his way through Drangleic!

The only bummer ... The character that I chose before Brad was named "Blake Chambers".

If I beat this game with Brad, I think I will feel obligated to go back and kick some sweater vest ass with Blake Chambers.

Long live Blake Chambers.