The video game thread.

Comments

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    jervin007 said:

Rygar said:

jervin007 said:

Playing tomb raider for PS4. Pretty cool game.

It is really good!
    I played it for 360 and loved it. No replay value though.
    Yeah, I like how it is almost an origin story. Gives a lot of options for future titles.
    Yep it's a reboot. The sequel is a timed exclusive for XB1 I think.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    GTA V w/ FSP mode, Dragon Age: Inquisition, and Far Cry 4 makes for probably the biggest release week of the year.

Think I'm going to start with Dragon Age and hold back on the other two for early next year when nothing comes out.

So far the reviews are saying the FPS mode in GTA works surprisingly well.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    my hockey game is snowed out for tonight.

I see a lot of GTA V in my future!
  • MayDay10 said:

my hockey game is snowed out for tonight.

I see a lot of GTA V in my future!

Loving it.
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    I'll take my wood grain finish Atari with original joysticks anyday.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    Dragon Age is very good so far. I had to bone up on the storyline from the first two games and I'm glad I did or I would have no idea what the hell was going on.

This is a deep RPG. And for the first time in a Bioware game, there is a jump button! Novel idea, eh?
    uh.

GTA V installed all night and still isnt done. Didnt play
    haha, that's awful MayDay!
    lol. it says 17% when I checked this morning. I looked on the info though and its roughly 39GB out of the 50GB...

Wish I went physical now.

The thing I dont get is: This thing takes up like 1/8 of my PS4's usable memory. I dont even have that many games (most physical disks) and I have eaten through like 60-70% of it.

So whats gonna give? Are they going to offer some sort of external add on memory or something?
    MayDay10 said:

lol. it says 17% when I checked this morning. I looked on the info though and its roughly 39GB out of the 50GB...

Wish I went physical now.

The thing I dont get is: This thing takes up like 1/8 of my PS4's usable memory. I dont even have that many games (most physical disks) and I have eaten through like 60-70% of it.

So whats gonna give? Are they going to offer some sort of external add on memory or something?

Sony made it so you can connect an external HD to expand memory (another reason why I went with them over microsoft).

Even disc copies take up a lot of space.

I started the Dragon Age download before I went to work yesterday so it would be ready when I got home. It is crazy how long it takes to download and install a game.
    MS has also added external HD storage to the XB1's abilities, thankfully.

Disc copies also take up a lot of space but in their case it just copies from the disc onto the harddrive instead of over the internet, which is going to be faster you'd hope.
    So can you use any hd? Or is it going to be future hardware released by sony
    edited November 2014
    Don't quote me on it but I'm pretty sure you can use any HD.

Just did some googling and keep seeing information that says you can't use the external to play games. Instead you'd have to swap out the internal drive and run a sata cable to the new one. I am not sure how dated this info is so Jason is probably better suited to chime in here!

gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/69429669
    Post edited by Rygar on
  • I know I'm a little behind the times here, but thanks to suggestions here, I finally got Last of Us. Damn fine game. Cant put it down! After this, the new Assasins creed I think..
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    yeah, my fucking shit froze yesterday as for some reason my PS4 lost its wifi connection and I had to delete and start over.
    Going on another 18 hours of downloading. Going to head home for lunch and see where I am. As of 7:30 AM, I was about 33.33 of 46GB done...

Another problem I dont know what Im going to do. I may contact PSN and ask for a refund or at least exchange and they can send me a physical copy of the game.
  • MayDay10 said:

yeah, my fucking shit froze yesterday as for some reason my PS4 lost its wifi connection and I had to delete and start over.
    Going on another 18 hours of downloading. Going to head home for lunch and see where I am. As of 7:30 AM, I was about 33.33 of 46GB done...

Another problem I dont know what Im going to do. I may contact PSN and ask for a refund or at least exchange and they can send me a physical copy of the game.

That's the biggest drawback I've heard about ps4. It puzzles me because it seems PS4 is the more powerful machine. I've also read about the external HD not being able to install and run games which makes it kind of pointless. This bullshit is how they get away with selling a system down the line with a bigger internal HD. The One has 500 gb but over 100 of it is used up by the OS. Just wait until the games become even bigger and have two discs. You could conceivably use your whole HD on 3 or 4 games when that happens. 1TB hard drives should have been the starting point.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,279
    MayDay10 said:

I'm guessing Sony added the ability to connect an external HD for media playback first and foremost. Keep in mind, like the PS3, you can swap out the stock HDD for another. It just has to be the "laptop" size HDD. I did that with my PS3 and will probably have to do it with my PS4. 500GB is a joke anymore.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,154
    You gotta be kidding me!!!

Call of Duty Voted Best Franchise Ever By Guinness Book of World Records
    Activision's shooter series beats out Mario, Minecraft, Halo, Grand Theft Auto, and Zelda in recent online poll.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/call-of-duty-voted-best-franchise-ever-by-guinness/1100-6423485/

As part of the release of the Guinness World Records 2015 Gamer’s Edition, the publication polled 5,000 gamers from 140 countries around the world about what their favorite video games are. The results are now in and Activision's Call of Duty series took the top spot, receiving more votes than Super Mario Bros., Minecraft, Grand Theft Auto, Halo, and The Legend of Zelda.

According to The Independent, voters were asked to name their favorite individual games, with these results then collated to form the top 50 video game franchise list you see below.

Call of Duty
    Super Mario Bros.
    Minecraft
    Grand Theft Auto
    Halo
    The Legend of Zelda
    FIFA
    Assassin's Creed
    Battlefield
    The Elder Scrolls
    Pokémon
    Angry Birds
    Final Fantasy
    Need for Speed
    Mario Kart
    League of Legends
    Borderlands
    Metal Gear
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Counter-Strike
    Kingdom Hearts
    The Last of Us
    World of Warcraft
    The Witcher
    Pro Evolution Soccer
    God of War
    Far Cry
    Bioshock
    Resident Evil
    Uncharted
    Fallout
    Batman: Arkham
    DotA
    Gears of War
    Mass Effect
    Half-Life
    PAC-Man
    Portal
    Super Smash Bros.
    Saints Row
    WWE
    LittleBigPlanet
    Crash Bandicoot
    LEGO
    Mortal Kombat
    Red Dead Redemption
    World of Tanks
    Gran Turismo
    NBA 2K
    Just Dance

Minecraft isn't even a franchise. I don't even understand the appeal of the game.

• rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    i stopped playing COD games around the first black ops era, but there is zero denying it's popularity amongst gamers and not hard to imagine it being voted the most popular (and most profitable. holy fuck those games bring in serious cash).

living in a xbox and playstation world with gamers today, nintento takes a backseat and i would say 97% of today's youth don't appreciate the zelda's and mario's and don't give a crap about what kind of impact they had on the gaming world and the sales numbers for those franchises on the 3ds and WiiU support the fact there isn't much relevance amongst gamers anymore.

sad. because those were the building blocks of what gaming is today. today, they only care about their COD clan, boosting their k/d ratio whilst camping in a corner and spewing hateful comments about your mom.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    do love seeing FIFA that high on the list though.
    COD is the 9th best selling franchise. Surprisingly, Pokemon is the 2nd best behind Mario.
    mca47 said:

MayDay10 said:

I'm guessing Sony added the ability to connect an external HD for media playback first and foremost. Keep in mind, like the PS3, you can swap out the stock HDD for another. It just has to be the "laptop" size HDD. I did that with my PS3 and will probably have to do it with my PS4. 500GB is a joke anymore.
    Im not sure how I feel about upgrading the innards of my PS4. Im not good with that shit. I hope at some point they come out with some sort of 2TB HD that you just plug in that you can play games off of.

500GB is a joke. 100gb out of the box. I have a fairly minimal amount of games. Mostly Discs and I am going to run into 500GB soon. Updates are 1-2GB for fucks sake. I am kind of a pack rat when it comes to game data too. I still have my saves cartridges from PS1 and 2. This GTA V takes up 1/8 of my memory.

GTA V finally finished though!

As far as franchises... CoD is overrated IMO. I liked the WWII one, but overall, the single player modes on those games leave a ton to be desired. Multiplayer to me is boring. Fixed maps, players who have much more time than me leveraging level-up advantages and map experience make it stupid.

Civilization is the top.
    Elder Scrolls maybe next
    Fallout
    GTA
    NCAA Football
    The Show
    Madden
    NHL
    FIFA
    Metal Gear

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,279
    It's really easy to swap HDDs. Just one screw.
    But like others have said, the COD franchise is such a joke. I think I got everyone up to Black Ops then I was done. Same fn game every year. Singleplayer is short and unremarkable, and online is just the same crap. It's like a $65 map upgrade every year....before they release the actually map packs...x3....
    GTA V is great for PS4. I like the 1st person driving a lot. In a hectic chase its a bit tough, but if you have Franklin's ability to slow time and control it works well. 1st person battle was cool too. Also the control flashes cop lights when you are being chased by the cops which is cool.
    MayDay10 said:

GTA V is great for PS4. I like the 1st person driving a lot. In a hectic chase its a bit tough, but if you have Franklin's ability to slow time and control it works well. 1st person battle was cool too. Also the control flashes cop lights when you are being chased by the cops which is cool.

Is it easy to switch between first and third person view? Is there a button you can hit to do it fast or do you have to go to the menu?
    on ps4 it is just the huge button in the middle (dont know what its called). Switches between that, behind view, and further behind view. Yeah, fast
    MayDay10 said:

on ps4 it is just the huge button in the middle (dont know what its called). Switches between that, behind view, and further behind view. Yeah, fast

Good. I'm getting this game today ... physical disc, of course.
    :D

I'm thinking third person for most of the time except battle.
    I know GTA offers extras for people that carry their account from last gen ... but I had an xbox and now have a ps4 so I don't know if it is possible.
    and strippers