Options

The video game thread.

Comments

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,265

mca47 said:

If anybody is into the assasins creed or batman games, the shadow of mordor game that came out yesterday is fantastic so far. I can't comment on too much of the story line because I have been running around executing monsters for the last two days. A cool feature is the enemies getting promoted if they kill you and becoming more powerful members of Sauron's army. This game is pretty violent and the combat seems a little smoother than AC. Just my two cents so far.

Picked it up today! Great game so far. Basically AC and Batman in a Lord of Rings setting. But it works! Probably 2-3 hours in and I can't wait to play more! The AI promotion thing is really cool. Right before I logged off I was attacked by 5 captains! It did not end well! Hahaha! Good game!
    When they sound the alarm in their turf you are pretty much screwed. Hahaha.
    Yeah, I've learned to just run for it when the reinforcements come. Can't really escape like in AC, but I just try to outrun them all and avoid the arrows! Haha
    I still haven't quite figured out the "knocked down/last ditch effort thingy. I've done it a few times but I usually die not knowing what I'm doing!
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    mca47 said:

mca47 said:

If anybody is into the assasins creed or batman games, the shadow of mordor game that came out yesterday is fantastic so far. I can't comment on too much of the story line because I have been running around executing monsters for the last two days. A cool feature is the enemies getting promoted if they kill you and becoming more powerful members of Sauron's army. This game is pretty violent and the combat seems a little smoother than AC. Just my two cents so far.

Picked it up today! Great game so far. Basically AC and Batman in a Lord of Rings setting. But it works! Probably 2-3 hours in and I can't wait to play more! The AI promotion thing is really cool. Right before I logged off I was attacked by 5 captains! It did not end well! Hahaha! Good game!
    When they sound the alarm in their turf you are pretty much screwed. Hahaha.
    Yeah, I've learned to just run for it when the reinforcements come. Can't really escape like in AC, but I just try to outrun them all and avoid the arrows! Haha
    I still haven't quite figured out the "knocked down/last ditch effort thingy. I've done it a few times but I usually die not knowing what I'm doing!
    The first time you have a little more time to get the cursor inside the circle. Just make sure you hit the button it displays. The second time is really tough, you have to be super quick and get the right button. I've only managed the second one a couple times. Just don't panic when it comes up. It's hard not to though.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    I played the opening of Shadow of Mordor and then it went to the "install" screen and I went to bed. PS4 games take forever to load. Basically I have to wait 24 hours to play a game the first time I put it in the PS4 which boggles my mind. I hardly have enough free time to play a game anymore.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

I played the opening of Shadow of Mordor and then it went to the "install" screen and I went to bed. PS4 games take forever to load. Basically I have to wait 24 hours to play a game the first time I put it in the PS4 which boggles my mind. I hardly have enough free time to play a game anymore.

That's weird. It took maybe 3-5 minutes once I put the disc in til I started to play. It had to dload an update and restart the game but it went quick.
  • Options
    mca47 said:

Jason P said:

That's weird. It took maybe 3-5 minutes once I put the disc in til I started to play. It had to dload an update and restart the game but it went quick.
    I download games through PSN so that may have something to do with it. It downloads fast but the install takes well over six hours.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    cool so this shadow of mordor is an open world game?
    I youtubed gameplay..looks cool. In the recommended viewing section of YT I see there is an open world Metal Gear game coming out. Looks badass.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited October 2014

I youtubed gameplay..looks cool. In the recommended viewing section of YT I see there is an open world Metal Gear game coming out. Looks badass.

Yeah, similar to AC. Little side quests and non story missions to rank up. It seems like there are a couple different story lines I am following through the main missions. I have certainly died more times then I am used to. There is also a power struggle of the enemies amongst each other that advances each time you die. Loving it so far.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,626
    I bought the game due to your recommendations.

If I wasted $59 Im hunting you all down
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

:))
  • Options

Yeah, if you like AC games you'll like this. it's def a lot harder than AC games too! Hahaha, I pick one fight, turn my back and there is a whole fn army coming my way....

So far, I've been going after low level captains to rank up. I haven't found them to be too tough, it's only those who call in reinforcements where things get tricky. I should probably get back to the storyline a little more...
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,626
    I played it. I enjoy it. Well put together game.

I kind of wish it held your hand a bit more in the beginning. It just throws it all out there and all the leveling up, controls, and commands are pretty overwhelming. Still kind of unsure how it all "works". I kill a guy and I see points and power. Then every once in awhile it tells me to upgrade something... or purchase a rune slot for some reason
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,869
    Idris said:

Jason P said:

The yearly releases of COD burnt me out many years ago but the new one looks promising. But I tend to prefer more futuristic games.

I actually skipped the last couple. I might pick this one up. Seems like enough of a difference to maybe make it worth it this go round.
    Thinking the same thing, I may get this new one after avoiding the last 2.
    Pretty sure that's because they copied Titanfall's strategy. Vertical, more jumping, diverse maps.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,885
    Picked up Hyrule Warriors. This should be fun! :)
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Idris said:

Rygar said:

I am all in for racing sims. Next gen wheel set ups aren't looking too good right now.
    Fanatec just emailed me about a thousand-dollar wheel base and indicate they have plans for next gen wheels....but for that price they can keep them :)

The Crew for XB1 also has some potential, and Forza Horizon looks great. Played the demo and it's more or less the same as Horizon 1.

My last two wheels have been Logitech g25/27, I'll keep my eyes on fantec and see what they bring out next.

Not sure of DriveClub is more Sim than Arcade, I prefer more 'realistic' Physics, so hoping it's in line with Gran Turismo.
    DC is sounding very much like an extremely frustrating experience if your buddies aren't playing it.
    joystiq.com/2014/10/07/driveclub-review-the-stepford-drives/
  • Options
    At least we can look forward to Gran Turismo 7 being delayed in five years ... (sigh)
  • Options
    I have a feeling that Forza 6 is going to sucker me into getting an xbox1 next year. I need my next gen racing fix!
  • Options
    By that time you'll have Forza 5, Horizon 2 and The Crew to play as well! (assuming the Crew is worth playing...)
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Great game, incredibly fun, and a terrible ending.
  • Options
    Rygar said:

By that time you'll have Forza 5, Horizon 2 and The Crew to play as well! (assuming the Crew is worth playing...)

Judging on it's title alone, The Crew will not be worth playing.
  • Options
    haha, agreed on the title but wait and see, wait and see!
  • Options
    Box art for The Crew ....

• Options
    Jason P said:

Box art for The Crew ....

Fantastic!
  • Options
    llessuRllessuR Posts: 195
    Playing through Shadows right now casually. Really enjoying it, nemesis character adds quite a bit of flair and personality to the typical boss NPCs that I would typically slaughter mindlessly. I expect the system to become a staple in similar games going forward.
    http://www.audiohammock.com - Rock, Indie, and Electronic reviews, news, and the AudioHammock podcast.
    Favorite Albums of 2014 Article
    -Gorge 2005
    -Bonnaroo 2008
    -Key Arena 1 & 2 2009
    -Spokane 2013
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    I dreamt last night I had my own galaga machine, I was thrilled lol that game never tires me
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    edited October 2014
    Rygar said:

Idris said:

Rygar said:

I am all in for racing sims. Next gen wheel set ups aren't looking too good right now.
    Fanatec just emailed me about a thousand-dollar wheel base and indicate they have plans for next gen wheels....but for that price they can keep them :)

The Crew for XB1 also has some potential, and Forza Horizon looks great. Played the demo and it's more or less the same as Horizon 1.

My last two wheels have been Logitech g25/27, I'll keep my eyes on fantec and see what they bring out next.

Not sure of DriveClub is more Sim than Arcade, I prefer more 'realistic' Physics, so hoping it's in line with Gran Turismo.
    DC is sounding very much like an extremely frustrating experience if your buddies aren't playing it.
    joystiq.com/2014/10/07/driveclub-review-the-stepford-drives/
    Well, I guess I'll be skipping it!

waiting for GT7 and F12015, whenever they actually release them!
    Post edited by Idris on
  • Options
    F1 2014 is out in a week or two for 360/PS3. Rumour on next-gen F1 is that it will be 6 months from now instead of 12. I don't know if it will be '2015' or '2014'.
  • Options
    zevilonezevilone Posts: 339
    has anyone seen video games live? debating going tonight
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    a5pj said:

Idris said:

Jason P said:

The yearly releases of COD burnt me out many years ago but the new one looks promising. But I tend to prefer more futuristic games.

I actually skipped the last couple. I might pick this one up. Seems like enough of a difference to maybe make it worth it this go round.
    Thinking the same thing, I may get this new one after avoiding the last 2.
    Pretty sure that's because they copied Titanfall's strategy. Vertical, more jumping, diverse maps.
    I see, So that's a good thing right?

(I just pre ordered COD on amazon)
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,869
    Yeah, I would say so. And after playing Friday night it seemed like no one was on it, and then we realized that the new COD had just been released.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    So whats the review of Destiny now that its been out for a while? I still haven't played a PS4 game. That will end with the new Assassins Creed and GTA, if not sooner.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11