The video game thread.

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    Destiny didnt hold my attention.

I like Shadow of Mordor more (but Im more of a solo gamer).

Still play the f out of The Show

Anyways, I just bought a new gaming laptop. I plan on breaking out Civ II, III, IV, V, and beyond Earth. Also Skyrim. Rocksmith and Rocksmith 2014 as well
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    As I tend to play solo and none of my friends have a PS4, Destiny is too much of a grind for me, which wouldn't be an issue if the RPG elements were done better, but I've find them pretty basic. I found myself thinking I could have spent my time better after clearing a level.
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    anyone play Red Alert Command and Conquer online pc? Its the game I play the most. A true classic, still really fun. You can dl it for free,
  • jervin007 said:

So whats the review of Destiny now that its been out for a while? I still haven't played a PS4 game. That will end with the new Assassins Creed and GTA, if not sooner.

I lost interest in it fairly quick. Shadow of mordor is a great game with the worst ending I can remember. Definitely will pick up the new AC.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Going pretty good in F1 2013 on the box now. Going through, more or less, one race weekend per evening. What is annoying about the game is that I am in between difficulties.
    F1 is generally like any other sport's norm - typically one person isn't going to win every race in a season. We all know video games aren't like that. I am after a realistic experience with the game so I am trying to find a way to make it as competitive as possible while still having a chance :P

There are 4 difficulties in the game, and I'm on the third hardest. There are two tracks in the 20-race calender I am not very good at (Monaco (look it up!) and Singapore, or as I like to call it, Monaco Jr). Those are the only ones I have no chance at. In fact, when I got to Monaco I hit pause as soon as the lights went out at the beginning of the race and retired without ever moving. No thanks.
    All of the other races I win by various margins. Last night I did the Korean GP and won by 35 seconds, which is an eon in F1. But I need more practice to be able to compete on Expert difficulty, and I'm already almost done the first season, and I'm not really getting it. I have all assists turned off (except the pit assist) and am somewhat capable at setup.

Plus no one I know has it so there's no co op season happening, unless with random people from the internet, and if you have never seen a racing lobby full of random people on the internet, go have a look and you'll know why I don't bother ;)

End rant.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,143
    Looks like I'm taking the plunge into next gen and buying an xbox one sometime next week

Getting assassin's creed IV and unity with the bundle

Will also be picking up the following titles within the first few weeks/months: Halo Collection (the real reason I'm buying the system!!!), Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2 and GTA 5.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
    All of those games are awesome, or will be ;)
    Rygar said:

Going pretty good in F1 2013 on the box now. Going through, more or less, one race weekend per evening. What is annoying about the game is that I am in between difficulties.
    F1 is generally like any other sport's norm - typically one person isn't going to win every race in a season. We all know video games aren't like that. I am after a realistic experience with the game so I am trying to find a way to make it as competitive as possible while still having a chance :P

There are 4 difficulties in the game, and I'm on the third hardest. There are two tracks in the 20-race calender I am not very good at (Monaco (look it up!) and Singapore, or as I like to call it, Monaco Jr). Those are the only ones I have no chance at. In fact, when I got to Monaco I hit pause as soon as the lights went out at the beginning of the race and retired without ever moving. No thanks.
    All of the other races I win by various margins. Last night I did the Korean GP and won by 35 seconds, which is an eon in F1. But I need more practice to be able to compete on Expert difficulty, and I'm already almost done the first season, and I'm not really getting it. I have all assists turned off (except the pit assist) and am somewhat capable at setup.

Plus no one I know has it so there's no co op season happening, unless with random people from the internet, and if you have never seen a racing lobby full of random people on the internet, go have a look and you'll know why I don't bother ;)

End rant.

We definitely should be racing one another! I'll see you on the virtual tracks one of these days. (next Gen games)
    What are you racing and on what?
    GT6 was the last racing game I played but have not touched it since I gave my wheel to a friend.

(I did play/own F1 2011/12, but again, waiting on next gen racing games)

and of course (As we talked about earlier) I need a new wheel.
    Oh yes you're a Sony guy ;)
    I do have a Microsoft Phone! ;))
    1st person mode is confirmed for the re-release of GTA5 on PS4 and Xbox1. Holy poop!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oFmRN0oadI&feature=player_embedded
  • JV130312JV130312 Posts: 2,457
    Anybody get Advanced Warfare? Not bad...
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • JV130312 said:

Yup. Campaign is pretty good, but short like all of the COD games. I only play hardcore on multiplayer and I am disappointed they didn't stick the classic mode without jetpacks in that playlist. I am not enjoying it as much but that could be because all of my usual teammates haven't gotten next gen yet. Running around with a bunch of unorganized strangers can be frustrating. Was hoping for hardcore free for all. Wish they would bring that one back. Gameplay is a little faster than usual and the maps seem a little too clean for my liking. Would like to see more multiplayer maps in actual war zones. Not just pretty buildings.

JV130312 said:

Yup. Campaign is pretty good, but short like all of the COD games. I only play hardcore on multiplayer and I am disappointed they didn't stick the classic mode without jetpacks in that playlist. I am not enjoying it as much but that could be because all of my usual teammates haven't gotten next gen yet. Running around with a bunch of unorganized strangers can be frustrating. Was hoping for hardcore free for all. Wish they would bring that one back. Gameplay is a little faster than usual and the maps seem a little too clean for my liking. Would like to see more multiplayer maps in actual war zones. Not just pretty buildings.
    Got it on release day, but (as usual) been too busy to give it a go. I think I have a free day Sunday, I'll fire it up then.
    Dragon Age: Inquisition looks like an amazing RPG. I didn't really have this game on my radar since the 2nd Dragon Age wasn't all that great, but this game looks like classic Bioware. Most reviews are saying 100 hours in there are still tons of things to do and places they have yet to visit.

I'm looking forward to next Tuesday.
  • Jason P said:

Dragon Age: Inquisition looks like an amazing RPG. I didn't really have this game on my radar since the 2nd Dragon Age wasn't all that great, but this game looks like classic Bioware. Most reviews are saying 100 hours in there are still tons of things to do and places they have yet to visit.

I'm looking forward to next Tuesday.

With all the other games coming out this month, this one snuck in under my radar. I might have to pick this up as well.
    Looks like Dragon Age has a pretty serious bug that can crash your system, at least on PS4 and PC. I may wait a few weeks to make sure it's in the clear.
  • Jason P said:

Looks like Dragon Age has a pretty serious bug that can crash your system, at least on PS4 and PC. I may wait a few weeks to make sure it's in the clear.

Thanks for the heads up.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    I have GTA V preordered. Still playing a backlog.

• MayDay10 said:

I have GTA V preordered. Still playing a backlog.

Me too. I can play that game endlessly. Checking out the new Assassin's Creed at the moment. After playing Shadow of Mordor, the attack and movement mechanics seem slow in comparison. Will take a little getting used to again.
    Played a few rounds of the COD, not bad, nothing special, just some nice mindless fun.
    Speaking of bugs, sounds like the AC Unity has more than it's share...
    joystiq.com/2014/11/11/assassins-creed-unity-review-a-tale-of-two-games/#continued

Joystiq's score is quite a bit less friendly than IGN's!
  • Rygar said:

Speaking of bugs, sounds like the AC Unity has more than it's share...
    joystiq.com/2014/11/11/assassins-creed-unity-review-a-tale-of-two-games/#continued

Joystiq's score is quite a bit less friendly than IGN's!

I've read mixed reviews as well but I can never resist these games. Bugs suck but, at least these days they can be patched. I remember a gamebreaking bug happened to me once on GTA san andreas for PS2. I couldn't progress the game and had to start all over from the beginning. I was almost finished. I was pissed.
    Very true, there'll probably be a hefty patch in the near future.

I like Assassin's Creed but after AC Brotherhood I was pretty much sequeled out. I did buy Revelations to finish off the Ezio storyline when it was 9.99 on XBL, but I haven't played it yet.

Also, anyone who is a member of the Xbox Live Rewards Program (and I assume you are if you're an XBoxer), they're offering 15$ back in the form of Reward points in your account for every game you pre-order through their store. In your account instead of your pocket, but sure beats a kick in the teeth.
    microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/list/categoryID.67937300?Icid=RewardEmail_EN_XboxPreorder_102014

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,154
    Just downloaded the Mario Kart 8 DLC pack. Link driving a Mercedes Benz driving through Temple of Time collecting coins. AWESOME!!!!
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    Playing tomb raider for PS4. Pretty cool game.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
    jervin007 said:

It is really good!
    I played it for 360 and loved it. No replay value though.
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    Rygar said:

jervin007 said:

It is really good!
    I played it for 360 and loved it. No replay value though.
    Yeah, I like how it is almost an origin story. Gives a lot of options for future titles.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11