Options

The video game thread.

Comments

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,267

Anyone play diablo 3 on xb1?

I am on PS4. I'd say I'm probably 4-5 hours in. While it's entertaining, it's sooooo easy. I haven't even come close to dying yet. I remember playing the original Diablo on my PC back in the day....taking baby steps because so many things were waiting to kill you. Now, I run through dungeons without a care because I can take on like 30 enemies at once without dying.
    The story is also quite bad....but hey....it's Diablo!
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,127

I've been playing it on PS4. The controls work great. It's also a good game to play with friends on the couch.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I cant decide between getting Last of Us or Watch Dogs next.
    Any suggestions? :)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,632
    Watch Dogs is on sale today on Amazon 40% off. So that one.
  • Options

Last of Us is one of the best videogames ever.
    Watch Dogs was just ok.

There is my 2c....ha!
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    mca47 said:

Last of Us is one of the best videogames ever.
    Watch Dogs was just ok.

There is my 2c....ha!
    I haven't played either but everything my friends have said are the same as MCA's opinion.
  • Options
    Last of Us it is! Thanks guys.
    I just remember seeing the first trailers for Watrch Dogs and thinking it was going to be amazing...but I keep hearing otherwise.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Im not really so sure.

Visually Last of Us is nice. Its got a good story. But the action is linear and is pretty mechanical/repetitive. Cashes in on the zombie genre/craze, and I guess I never really got into that.

Watchdogs is open-world.

to me, unless the game is butchered, open world beats linear almost every time.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    I was pumped for Watchdogs. It looked amazing and a cool concept for an open world game....
    But...
    The story is quite weak. The driving mechanic is horrible. I played it for maybe 4-5 hours when I got it but haven't gone back. I will...I hate not beating a game, but there are too many things about it that don't get me excited to pick it up again.

You're right that the Last of Us is linear, but the story, the acting and the character development is phenomenal. I've never played a game that was so emotionally powerful with so much attention to detail. 5 minutes in, I was hooked and even the players' relationship with the characters evolves/grows over the course of the game.
    To me it was much more than a zombie/survival game. I think they could have done a number of other apocalyptic scenarios and still made it a classic.
    I really wish they had it so if you bought the PS3 game, you could get the remastered PS4 version for like $10-15. Oh well.
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    For PS4 owners, are there any bugs with the system? Trying to decide if I should pick one up now or wait a few months. Kind of hoping for an assassins creed or uncharted ps4 package
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    jervin007 said:

For PS4 owners, are there any bugs with the system? Trying to decide if I should pick one up now or wait a few months. Kind of hoping for an assassins creed or uncharted ps4 package

I've had my PS4 since release (or just shortly after) and haven't had one bug or issue. From what I've heard, both systems are very solid...or if there are issues they seem pretty small.
    I guess my only gripe is that the DS4 controller battery life isn't nearly as "lasting" as the PS3's. That said, despite the battery life...the controller is waaaay better than the PS3s.
    There won't be an Uncharted game anytime soon. There is a Last of Us bundle....if you've never played that....get it! Great fn game!
  • Options
    joberschlakejoberschlake Columbus, OH Posts: 1,179
    Jason P said:

I've been playing it on PS4. The controls work great. It's also a good game to play with friends on the couch.
    So would you guys recommend it? I'm finishing up Watchdogs now. Have Diablo 3 for mac, but would prefer it on the console. I get tired of clicking the mouse.... Is it worth the re-purchase?
    1998: Cleveland
    2000: Cincinnati, Columbus
    2003: Cleveland, Columbus
    2004: Toledo
    2006: Cleveland, Cincinnati, Gorge Night 1
    2008: Washington D.C.
    2009: Chicago Night 1, Seattle Night 1, Philadelphia Night 3, Philadelphia Night 4
    2010: Columbus, Indianapolis, Cleveland
    2011: Detroit EV, Chicago 1 EV
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Chicago, Pittsburgh
    2014: Cincinnati
  • Options
    mca47 said:

jervin007 said:

I guess my only gripe is that the DS4 controller battery life isn't nearly as "lasting" as the PS3's. That said, despite the battery life...the controller is waaaay better than the PS3s.
    With that said though, the power port is the same as most small electronics (at least mine). Kindles, androids, samsung phones, etc. So its no problem to keep at least one charged.

I loooove the headphone output in the controller as well.
  • Options
    mca47 said:

I was pumped for Watchdogs. It looked amazing and a cool concept for an open world game....
    But...
    The story is quite weak. The driving mechanic is horrible. I played it for maybe 4-5 hours when I got it but haven't gone back. I will...I hate not beating a game, but there are too many things about it that don't get me excited to pick it up again.

You're right that the Last of Us is linear, but the story, the acting and the character development is phenomenal. I've never played a game that was so emotionally powerful with so much attention to detail. 5 minutes in, I was hooked and even the players' relationship with the characters evolves/grows over the course of the game.
    To me it was much more than a zombie/survival game. I think they could have done a number of other apocalyptic scenarios and still made it a classic.
    I really wish they had it so if you bought the PS3 game, you could get the remastered PS4 version for like $10-15. Oh well.

Cool Mca, I usually love most open world games, but I just heard about the driving and story being weak in Watch dogs from another friend too. I assumed Last of Us would be similar in the linear fashion as Uncharted. I loved those games and didnt mind so much how linear because there was a good story and characters.

btw, I am still playing Assasins Creed - the one on the boats-- its awesome fun! Gets a tad repetitive about half way in, but I enjoy it still :)
  • Options
    IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    mca47 said:

jervin007 said:

I've had my PS4 since release (or just shortly after) and haven't had one bug or issue. From what I've heard, both systems are very solid...or if there are issues they seem pretty small.
    There won't be an Uncharted game anytime soon. There is a Last of Us bundle....if you've never played that....get it! Great fn game!
    My PS4 gets here Sept 9, I think its with bundled with Destiny?...its the glacier white ps4)

I'm about to order a few games, I guess last of us will be one, maybe whatever the new EA NHL is, 2015? Maybe a couple more games, NBA2k? FIFA?
  • Options
    The show.
  • Options

mca47 said:

But...

Cool Mca, I usually love most open world games, but I just heard about the driving and story being weak in Watch dogs from another friend too. I assumed Last of Us would be similar in the linear fashion as Uncharted. I loved those games and didnt mind so much how linear because there was a good story and characters.

btw, I am still playing Assasins Creed - the one on the boats-- its awesome fun! Gets a tad repetitive about half way in, but I enjoy it still :)
    I played Assiasins Creed - Boat Version quite a bit when I got my PS4. It was ok. Repetitive like most AC games...but it was still entertaining. The boat part of the game got annoying. Got through prob 80% of it before I got annoyed/bored.
    I like open world games too. Red Dead Redemption is easily a top 10 game all time for me. That game was just so well done! GTA5 was pretty cool too. Watchdogs just kinda dropped the ball when I feel it could have been really cool.
    Last of Us is just as linear as Uncharted games, but it's story and acting is infinitely better.
    Are we Playstation pals Pistashio, if not hit me up!
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

mca47 said:

jervin007 said:

With that said though, the power port is the same as most small electronics (at least mine). Kindles, androids, samsung phones, etc. So its no problem to keep at least one charged.

Yeah, I still have one controller. I suppose if I had a second it wouldn't be as annoying. That white one coming out looks cool!
  • Options
    mca47 said:

jervin007 said:

Yeah, I beat last of us for ps3. It's awesome! Not sure if I really have any desire to play it again anytime soon though. Not great replay value in my opinion.

I heard new uncharted in early 2015 and assassins creed in October I think. We'll see if the put a bundle together for that release! The only other bundle I have seen is the Destiny bundle, but I have never been a big online first person shooter game.

PJ:
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

• Options

Jason P said:

So would you guys recommend it? I'm finishing up Watchdogs now. Have Diablo 3 for mac, but would prefer it on the console. I get tired of clicking the mouse.... Is it worth the re-purchase?
    I've never played it on the computer. It seems to me you have much better control via a controller versus a mouse. I like it cause my friends and I can play it in the same room. NHL is the only other game where four people can play together in the same room
  • Options
    Madden on the PS4 is pretty amazing. It looks and plays great. I'm playing as the Colts and got throttled by Peyton Manning in the opening game. It's like getting your ass kicked by Bizarro Superman if you are a Colts fan. It is still weird to see him in a Broncos jersey of all jerseys. At least the Patriots didn't sign him. And fuck the Broncos. At least they have a chance to witness a true QB for once. Fuck John Elway. :)
  • Options
    mca47 said:

mca47 said:

But...

I played Assiasins Creed - Boat Version quite a bit when I got my PS4. It was ok. Repetitive like most AC games...but it was still entertaining. The boat part of the game got annoying. Got through prob 80% of it before I got annoyed/bored.
    I like open world games too. Red Dead Redemption is easily a top 10 game all time for me. That game was just so well done! GTA5 was pretty cool too. Watchdogs just kinda dropped the ball when I feel it could have been really cool.
    Last of Us is just as linear as Uncharted games, but it's story and acting is infinitely better.
    I really loved Red dead. Its the only game ive played twice. I liked all the GTa games, but found the missions on the last one to be kinda lame compared to older games. Not enough ass kicking! haha

mca, have you played Sleeping Dogs? Its an open world game that is also one of my favorites. It took me a little while to get into it, but once I did, I loved it. Its modeled after Hong Kong I think. There's a lot of hand to hand fighting...kiinda reminded me of old school arcade game called Double Dragon.
    I havent explored much in the way of playstation network mca, but I'll do that next time i'm on :)
  • Options
    Sleeping Dogs was one of the free XBL games with gold a few months back. I am looking forward to checking that one out.
  • Options
    I cant wait for Fallout 4, whenever that is.

I wont get the new Madden. I link the NCAA draft classes to Madden for the dynasties/franchise, No more NCAA for awhile and Ill stick with Madden 25 on PS3 for now (I have it on PS4 too, but no draft classes).
  • Options

Jason P said:

I played the original and Diablo 2 on the PC way back when. I'm surprised I didn't break my mouse playing those games. You clicked to move, you clicked to attack....it was way too much fn clicking! The controller works waaaaaaaay better!
  • Options

mca47 said:

mca47 said:

But...

I really loved Red dead. Its the only game ive played twice. I liked all the GTa games, but found the missions on the last one to be kinda lame compared to older games. Not enough ass kicking! haha

mca, have you played Sleeping Dogs? Its an open world game that is also one of my favorites. It took me a little while to get into it, but once I did, I loved it. Its modeled after Hong Kong I think. There's a lot of hand to hand fighting...kiinda reminded me of old school arcade game called Double Dragon.
    I havent explored much in the way of playstation network mca, but I'll do that next time i'm on :)
    Whoa! "Like Double Dragon"? I'm sold! God, I played so much Double Dragon as a kid! Game was awesome!
    Like everything else, my PSN name is wait for it......"mca47". ha!
  • Options
    mca47 said:

Whoa! "Like Double Dragon"? I'm sold! God, I played so much Double Dragon as a kid! Game was awesome!
    Like everything else, my PSN name is wait for it......"mca47". ha!

Actually it looks like GTA meets Double Dragon haha

http://www.twitch.tv/lambertsson
  • Options
    Yes, double dragon was awesome haha.. I think my ps name is longwave11 or something like that. I really should keep all these damned names the same like you.

Yeah Rygar that about sums it up!
  • Options
    Screw it. Had $450 in credit at my local record store (which sells PS4's) so I bought a PS4 this afternoon. Otherwise I would have kept buying vinyl! Now I just need to get a new TV and maybe invest in a SONOS playbar before I set the system up!
    PJ:

• Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    mca47 said:

MayDay10 said:

mca47 said:

jervin007 said:

Yeah, I still have one controller. I suppose if I had a second it wouldn't be as annoying. That white one coming out looks cool!
    I picked up an usb extension cable. It sucks having to play it wired while it's charging, but it's nice to have the option to keep going when the battery dies.