Options

The video game thread.

Comments

• Options
    I got my PS4 at launch and have been enjoying it quite a bit. Nothing more impressive than GTAV or The Last of Us, but the experience as a whole is great for all the reasons mca47 mentioned.

If I were to rank the games I have as far as the most technically impressive when compared to last gen games from first to last, I'd have to say:

1. NBA 2k14
    2. Killzone: Shadow Fall
    3. Need for Speed: Rivals
    4. Assassin's Creed IV
    5. Madden 25
    6. Lego Marvel (hey, I needed a great co-op game for me and my son to play together ;) )

I'm not counting the PS+ games that were free, although Resogun and Warframe are a lot of fun.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,633
    You played "flower"? Got high reviews but kinda... strange

I like 2k basketball... Some things I dislike on the games point of view... Can't change the uniform for your opponent and no out of town scores or simming, boxscores, etc. Madden is the same issue. I like to take the whole League all in with sports games. Can't stand when you basically just get your schedule and go
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,267
    MayDay10 wrote:
    You played "flower"? Got high reviews but kinda... strange

I like 2k basketball... Some things I dislike on the games point of view... Can't change the uniform for your opponent and no out of town scores or simming, boxscores, etc. Madden is the same issue. I like to take the whole League all in with sports games. Can't stand when you basically just get your schedule and go
    Yeah, I played Flower on PS3 when it came out. I thought it was a great game. Very different, but just a beautiful game.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,775
    zelda: a link between worlds gets a 10. got it as an early christmas present last night and logged a couple hours.

fantastic game, fun game play, 3d works VERY well with this one.

a common complaint people have with this one is you can rent all items/equipment very early in the game (you can use the items as long as you want, but once you die, they automatically get returned to the shop). i don't see that as a weakness, because early on in the game, i can tell this can become one of the more challenging zelda games to date so you don't need to waste time & frustration trying to find the boomerang, hookshot, etc, etc.

turning link into a painting on any wall adds a whole new dynamic of strategy and thinking when you try and navigate yourself around hyrule. that is going to be crazy challenging when you are already trying to figure out what switch to hit, how to get from A to B in a dungeon and so on.

looking forward to playing this one for a while.
  • Options
    rival. wrote:
    zelda: a link between worlds gets a 10. got it as an early christmas present last night and logged a couple hours.

fantastic game, fun game play, 3d works VERY well with this one.

a common complaint people have with this one is you can rent all items/equipment very early in the game (you can use the items as long as you want, but once you die, they automatically get returned to the shop). i don't see that as a weakness, because early on in the game, i can tell this can become one of the more challenging zelda games to date so you don't need to waste time & frustration trying to find the boomerang, hookshot, etc, etc.

turning link into a painting on any wall adds a whole new dynamic of strategy and thinking when you try and navigate yourself around hyrule. that is going to be crazy challenging when you are already trying to figure out what switch to hit, how to get from A to B in a dungeon and so on.

looking forward to playing this one for a while.

I'm debating on this. Between the games on my iPad Mini and PS Vita (with all the free PS+ downloads), I'm not sure how much love a 3DS would get. I have a regular DS XL and an original 3DS, but I love the look of the 3DS XL. I just picked up the Mario and Luigi 3DS XL Bundle last night for $149 and can get the Zelda bundle for the same (Target has ALL 3DS XL systems on sale and I had some gift cards to burn). I would give one to my son eventually but I hate how the games are downloads in the bundles and not actual carts. Right now I'm not opening anything, I just think for the price you can't beat it. I really love the look of the Zelda 3DS with the triforce graphic though. Decisions decisions...
  • Options
    I'm debating on this. Between the games on my iPad Mini and PS Vita (with all the free PS+ downloads), I'm not sure how much love a 3DS would get. I have a regular DS XL and an original 3DS, but I love the look of the 3DS XL. I just picked up the Mario and Luigi 3DS XL Bundle last night for $149 and can get the Zelda bundle for the same (Target has ALL 3DS XL systems on sale and I had some gift cards to burn). I would give one to my son eventually but I hate how the games are downloads in the bundles and not actual carts. Right now I'm not opening anything, I just think for the price you can't beat it. I really love the look of the Zelda 3DS with the triforce graphic though. Decisions decisions...

debating upgrading to an XL too. i have the zelda 3ds (original size) that came with the ocarina of time bundle. i saw target had the XLs on sale for $150. missed out on the newest zelda bundle as they were sold out at all the targets by my apartment.

could pull the trigger on the all black XL, but trying to figure out if the $150 is worth it. i'll probably make up my mind and decide to pick it up when the sale is over :lol:
  • Options
    rival. wrote:

debating upgrading to an XL too. i have the zelda 3ds (original size) that came with the ocarina of time bundle. i saw target had the XLs on sale for $150. missed out on the newest zelda bundle as they were sold out at all the targets by my apartment.

could pull the trigger on the all black XL, but trying to figure out if the $150 is worth it. i'll probably make up my mind and decide to pick it up when the sale is over :lol:

My Target is actually sold out of the Zelda bundle as well but there's a lady at my Best Buy who seems to really like me and already said she would price match it for me if I wanted. They only have like 1 or 2 left and I'm going by there tomorrow to decide.
  • Options
    So I really dig my PS4 so far.
    One gripe...and maybe it's just me....I love the new controller but it doesn't seem to hold a charge nearly as long as the PS3 controllers.
    Anyone else notice this?
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,834
    mca47 wrote:
    One gripe...and maybe it's just me....I love the new controller but it doesn't seem to hold a charge nearly as long as the PS3 controllers.
    Anyone else notice this?

I need to know what the biggest difference is from the PS3. Huge or what?

Was thinking of waiting till it comes down more in price.

I don't play a ton of games and use it more as an entertainment center - does it have blu ray, netflix, all that junk as well?
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    Anyone else notice this?

I don't play a ton of games and use it more as an entertainment center - does it have blu ray, netflix, all that junk as well?
    As of now there isn't a "huge" difference as far as graphical quality.
    The XMB and user interface is fantastic and the machine is super fast. The new controller is damn near perfect (though mine doesn't seem to hold a charge as long as my PS3 controllers).
    The price likely won't come down until the "slim" comes out....which will likely be in 2 years.
    It plays Blurays and has all the entertainment apps. Oddly, it doesn't play music CDs. :?

All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,834
    mca47 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    Anyone else notice this?

As of now there isn't a "huge" difference as far as graphical quality.
    The XMB and user interface is fantastic and the machine is super fast. The new controller is damn near perfect (though mine doesn't seem to hold a charge as long as my PS3 controllers).
    The price likely won't come down until the "slim" comes out....which will likely be in 2 years.
    It plays Blurays and has all the entertainment apps. Oddly, it doesn't play music CDs. :?

All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase.

Thanks.

Yeah, I think I can wait the two years.
  • Options
    i'll wait 8-12 months and pull the trigger on an xbox one.

as far as graphics... was walking by a microsoft store the other day here in chicago and they had about five huge LCD TVs set up, with five xbox ones playing a couple games. the NBA game looked like i was watching ESPN. it looked stunning. thought there was a huge upgrade right there from the 360.

can't really speak to many other games though. watching youtube videos doesn't always give credit to where credit is due.
  • Options
    rival. wrote:
    i'll wait 8-12 months and pull the trigger on an xbox one.

as far as graphics... was walking by a microsoft store the other day here in chicago and they had about five huge LCD TVs set up, with five xbox ones playing a couple games. the NBA game looked like i was watching ESPN. it looked stunning. thought there was a huge upgrade right there from the 360.

can't really speak to many other games though. watching youtube videos doesn't always give credit to where credit is due.
    You should just get one now. The SKU will be the same in a year, the cost will be the same too.
    That 12 months of missing out on new and pretty games! :D
    I have no regrets dropping $399 on my PS4.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    finished GTA-V a few days ago. By far the worst and shortest in the series I think. Was it short to anyone else?
    I loved playing Trevor, thats about it.
    Maybe i'll check out Last of Us next.

I got a Wii for xmas...gotta find some fun two player games... My wife has a sore shoulder from bowling.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    finished GTA-V a few days ago. By far the worst and shortest in the series I think. Was it short to anyone else?

I got a Wii for xmas...gotta find some fun two player games... My wife has a sore shoulder from bowling.
    Did you do the side missions/jobs too?
    I found if you stuck to doing all the main story missions it went quick. Mix in the side jobs and it spread it out better.

Last of Us was phenomenal!
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:

I found if you stuck to doing all the main story missions it went quick. Mix in the side jobs and it spread it out better.

Yeah, I think I finished those too. I'm at about 74%, but after I finished the last story mission, I lost interest I suppose.
    I think I owned/purchased 1-2 properties. I hate to re-hash old games, but I liked GTA San andreas where you could take over gang territories. Or even Vice City and GTA-4 felt like you were taking over the city, buying stuff and making progress. This new one never felt like that.
    I will check out last of Us though!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:

Yeah, I think I finished those too. I'm at about 74%, but after I finished the last story mission, I lost interest I suppose.
    I think I owned/purchased 1-2 properties. I hate to re-hash old games, but I liked GTA San andreas where you could take over gang territories. Or even Vice City and GTA-4 felt like you were taking over the city, buying stuff and making progress. This new one never felt like that.

GTA5 online is pretty fun...especially if you play with friends.
    It's tough at first being a low level with a crappy gun in a world with 15 others at level 65 flying fighter jets. :lol:
    I think I'm around lvl 15 or so.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

GTA5 online is pretty fun...especially if you play with friends.
    It's tough at first being a low level with a crappy gun in a world with 15 others at level 65 flying fighter jets. :lol:
    I think I'm around lvl 15 or so.

fighter jets!? :lol:
    I forgot about the online...I may just have to give that a shot. :D
  • Options

Heck yeah!
    Did you ever get a fighter jet in the single player mode?
    There are a couple in the military base. It is hard to get, but you bust into the base, haul ass to the jet, hop in and and hopefully take off before you are blown to bits.
    I think it took me about 5 tries before I was able to get it. If you do it as Trevor, you can fly it to his hanger. Just park it in the hanger and it'll be there anytime you need it.
    It's a lot of fun to fly!

Not sure when it becomes available online though. My guess is around level 50-60.
    I only have a helicopter and a single engine plane available at my level. Though that single engine plane works wonders as a kamikaze option against other players! :lol:
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:

Heck yeah!
    Did you ever get a fighter jet in the single player mode?
    There are a couple in the military base. It is hard to get, but you bust into the base, haul ass to the jet, hop in and and hopefully take off before you are blown to bits.
    I think it took me about 5 tries before I was able to get it. If you do it as Trevor, you can fly it to his hanger. Just park it in the hanger and it'll be there anytime you need it.
    It's a lot of fun to fly!

Not sure when it becomes available online though. My guess is around level 50-60.
    I only have a helicopter and a single engine plane available at my level. Though that single engine plane works wonders as a kamikaze option against other players! :lol:

I was going to try that but totally forgot! I did make off with a jet from the regular airport a few times.
    So, is the online multiplayer mostly a survival game?
  • Options
    Nah, there a lots of missions to do and many that need other people to cooperate with you to finish them.
    There are a bunch of aholes who will just come up and kill you for no reason, but there are a lot of others who will help or just have fun.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,127
    So it turns out that Johnny America was really Chip McFlennigan all this time!!! :-O
  • Options
    Bravely Default for the 3DS looks pretty awesome! Old school Square Enix traditional JRPG!
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Jason P said:

Bravely Default for the 3DS looks pretty awesome! Old school Square Enix traditional JRPG!

I was thinking the same thing.

• Options
    MayDay10 said:
    Oh man, in college we'd get into huge RBI Baseball tourneys! I'd destroy everyone with the Giants!
    That game was a classic for sure!
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,633
    I actually wasnt a huge RBI fan. I didnt think the game or structure was very good, and the fat guys drove me nuts.

Baseball Stars was where it was at. Bases Loaded and Baseball Simulator 1000 were also miles better
  • Options
    RBI was best for playing against another person. Baseball Stars was great for stats and building a team (until the fucking battery would reset after playing 75 games and clean the memory out), but I didn't play against my friends often.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Love the little blue hermit you have there, it reminds me of a skills game called soltstrice it was a nintendo game, this is going way back when Grandfather was alive, anyway it was an awesome game i wish they brought it back out in xbox or something..
  • Options
    Jason P said:

RBI was best for playing against another person. Baseball Stars was great for stats and building a team (until the fucking battery would reset after playing 75 games and clean the memory out), but I didn't play against my friends often.

RBI Baseball was fantastic when playing others. It was so simple that you could play incredibly intoxicated and still do pretty well!