The video game thread.

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Three days after its release, Sim City has achieved a whopping 1 / 5 star rating on Amazon based on only 1,175 reviews.

Bravo, EA, bravo.

:fp: :fp: :fp:
    Here is one of the few 5 star reviews for Sim City on Amazon:

You'd think I'd be mega unhappy like everyone else at the constant waiting and lack of actually being able to play a game I purchased.

Well, you'd be wrong.

The hours upon hours since launch that I haven't been able to log in, whether it be sitting in queues, or server busy messages, or just plain old not working screens, I've managed to do a heap of things that I never do when I'm locked in my man cave playing video games.

I've washed the dishes, the laundry, changed the oil in the car, mopped the floors, dusted, did a spot of gardening, greeted my children who I hadn't really seen since Christmas, walked the dog, asked how my wife's day has been and listened to the entire response, restocked the groceries and many more things! My family has never been happier that they've got a father and husband again.

In fact, I feel like Simcity has given me a new lease on life. This wouldn't have been possible without the seemingly crazy decision to have constant online connections and server side save points even for single player.

So I can only thank EA and Maxis. Your failures have been my rewards. 5 stars!
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Jason P wrote:
    Three days after its release, Sim City has achieved a whopping 1 / 5 star rating on Amazon based on only 1,175 reviews.

Bravo, EA, bravo.

:fp: :fp: :fp:
    Haha, typical EA.

Beat Far Cry 3 yesterday, pretty good indeed. Easy achievements, will have to 1000 that one before DLC is released and ruins the gamerscore!
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,279
    Very disappointed about the enormous amount of glitches in MLB The Show this year. This game has always been far from perfect. But they've hit new lows this year. I can't believe they'd have the nerve to put that shit out into stores. A complete disgrace not only to the great franchise The Show developers have made, but a disgrace to video gaming in general. If you can't get the game right by it's release date, then don't put it out. I'm sick of waiting for patches with this game.
    Way are the glitches? I was gonna pick it up this weekend but I might wait now...
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    I havent experienced any glitches on the Vita, only played RTTS though.

I plan on breaking out the PS3 version this weekend.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    mca47 wrote:
    Very disappointed about the enormous amount of glitches in MLB The Show this year. This game has always been far from perfect. But they've hit new lows this year. I can't believe they'd have the nerve to put that shit out into stores. A complete disgrace not only to the great franchise The Show developers have made, but a disgrace to video gaming in general. If you can't get the game right by it's release date, then don't put it out. I'm sick of waiting for patches with this game.
    Way are the glitches? I was gonna pick it up this weekend but I might wait now...

Among the many small ones, the huge one is that there's sometimes a lag/stutter on the animation when the pitcher releases his pitch...making it nearly impossible to hit the ball. It doesn't happen all the time. I've played a few games without it. I've played a few where it comes and goes. And a few where it was unplayable. It's not just online either...it's in all game modes. It'll be fixed on the first patch I'm sure. But it's very, VERY annoying.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Jason P wrote:
    Here is one of the few 5 star reviews for Sim City on Amazon:

You'd think I'd be mega unhappy like everyone else at the constant waiting and lack of actually being able to play a game I purchased.

Well, you'd be wrong.

The hours upon hours since launch that I haven't been able to log in, whether it be sitting in queues, or server busy messages, or just plain old not working screens, I've managed to do a heap of things that I never do when I'm locked in my man cave playing video games.

I've washed the dishes, the laundry, changed the oil in the car, mopped the floors, dusted, did a spot of gardening, greeted my children who I hadn't really seen since Christmas, walked the dog, asked how my wife's day has been and listened to the entire response, restocked the groceries and many more things! My family has never been happier that they've got a father and husband again.

In fact, I feel like Simcity has given me a new lease on life. This wouldn't have been possible without the seemingly crazy decision to have constant online connections and server side save points even for single player.

So I can only thank EA and Maxis. Your failures have been my rewards. 5 stars!

:lol:

This is the first I've heard of these problems. I wasn't really interested in the game, I enjoyed SimCity and SimCity 2000 back in the day, but they kind of ran their course with me. I figured this would be the same game, just better graphics. The commercials, which air CONSTANTLY, don't really show much gameplay or anything, it's just that guy from Workaholics being a goofball.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    mca47 wrote:

Among the many small ones, the huge one is that there's sometimes a lag/stutter on the animation when the pitcher releases his pitch...making it nearly impossible to hit the ball. It doesn't happen all the time. I've played a few games without it. I've played a few where it comes and goes. And a few where it was unplayable. It's not just online either...it's in all game modes. It'll be fixed on the first patch I'm sure. But it's very, VERY annoying.
    I sorta remember that pitch hiccup on last years game from time to time too. :?
    Don't recall if it got fixed.
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Went through the Black Ops II campaign today

Pretty intense and quite brutal at times
    Fire Emblem is making the 3DS look very tempting ...
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    Jason P wrote:
    I've heard nothing but good things about it. Monster Hunter 3 though is why i'm going to pick up a 3DS, so it's going to be awhile before i get a chance to play Fire Emblem.
    OK. I dusted off the 3ds (meant to sell it after I realized it was a mistake and bought a Vita, but never did)... and got Fire Emblem Awakening.

I played the early stages. A bunch of cut scenes and dialogue. Still has that Nintendo - Japanese feel to it. 3d is pretty decent. Game play is OK looks like it has good potential. Pretty linear so far, but Im just in the beginning. It looks like it will be neatly-bound and not overly complex which is great.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    Jason P wrote:

fantastic game, picked it up a few weeks ago. i am new to the fire emblem series (now that i think about it, it might be the first one released in north america) so i picked the easy settings route and the option to get my characters back if they die. i am about half way through the campaign and the settings i chose make the game relatively linear. if you go the harder route it looks like it can be brutal, which i will do my 2nd go around. it's one big chess match with a good story line and solid, solid graphics. it's a must for the 3ds. great streetpass features as well (exchange weapons, battle teams on various maps, etc).

this is going to be a strong year for the 3DS, nice looking crop of games coming out...
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Wow, IGN gave GOW: Ascension a 7.8

I will still be playing this game for sure.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    Wow, IGN gave GOW: Ascension a 7.8

I will still be playing this game for sure.

I have it. You'll like it.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Finished Dishonored last night. Fun game, seemed a bit easy at times on the Normal setting though.

Starting Red Dead Redemption next. I know only a few years late on that one but I got it for $15 at Target. :thumbup:
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
    Finished Dishonored last night. Fun game, seemed a bit easy at times on the Normal setting though.

Starting Red Dead Redemption next. I know only a few years late on that one but I got it for $15 at Target. :thumbup:

Fun game

I think I've been through it 4 or 5 times
    Red Dead Redemption is a top 5 all time game IMO
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685

Loved Dishonored. Will give er one or two more goes I'm sure. Some DLC coming out for it.

Went back to AC Brotherhood before starting any of my many new games/dlc haha

Fun game

I like going stealth in games rather than running into a room with my dick out and guns blazing. So I really liked this one.

Fun game

I like going stealth in games rather than running into a room with my dick out and guns blazing. So I really liked this one.

Ah. My fault

I was talking about Red Dead
    And Red Dead isn't a stealth game at all... :lol:

Hope you enjoy it, though.

Ah. My fault

I was talking about Red Dead

:lol: I thought that was a lot of times for Dishonored.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Red dead was a great game if you like to get drunk while playing games. I loved it, I was often a bit hammered, saying to myself, well, here I am a bit drunk in the open prairies on my horse and that there raccoon is gonna get shot! And i'd do some of the game and barely remember what I accomplished. :lol:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Red dead was a great game if you like to get drunk while playing games. I loved it, I was often a bit hammered, saying to myself, well, here I am a bit drunk in the open prairies on my horse and that there raccoon is gonna get shot! And i'd do some of the game and barely remember what I accomplished. :lol:

I used to get stoned every time I played but I would get sucked into games so bad that I would get kinda freaked out at times. Couldnt play games like Silent Hill or Resident Evil, got too freaked out. :shock: I liked sneaking and shooting people, still do. I tend to not play when I am drunk though for some reason. I guess I prefer to do other things when drunk like listen to or play music. I will give red dead a drunk run tonight though.
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217

I used to get stoned every time I played but I would get sucked into games so bad that I would get kinda freaked out at times. Couldnt play games like Silent Hill or Resident Evil, got too freaked out. :shock: I liked sneaking and shooting people, still do. I tend to not play when I am drunk though for some reason. I guess I prefer to do other things when drunk like listen to or play music. I will give red dead a drunk run tonight though.

:lol: yeah, being high would definitely be better for Red DEad. Its a huge game, and sometimes, there's not a lot going on in between destinations. But I loved it.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Thats kind of like Fallout 3 to me. completely under the influence and immersed in the world
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Thats kind of like Fallout 3 to me. completely under the influence and immersed in the world

Yeah, the Fallout games were great. Just the right balance of shooting humans to nonhumans. :D
    Red Dead is one of my alltime favorites. I haven't played it in a loooooong time. I may have to pop it in and play through it again!

I have and played Dishonored. I thought it was just ok. I actually got bored with it after a while. Got toward the end without finishing it. I may need to start over. I tried to be as stealthy as possible, but sometimes you just gotta light some people up! :lol:
    mca47 wrote:
    Red Dead is one of my alltime favorites. I haven't played it in a loooooong time. I may have to pop it in and play through it again!

I have and played Dishonored. I thought it was just ok. I actually got bored with it after a while. Got toward the end without finishing it. I may need to start over. I tried to be as stealthy as possible, but sometimes you just gotta light some people up! :lol:

Lol, that is exactly how I was with Dishonored too. It was fun but it got a little boring toward the end. I did finish though. I had to kill those bastards. :evil: