The video game thread.

Comments

• Finally finished Halo 4, great game, but I thought the ending was weak as hell. Not the story, but the actual execution. You don't even get to fight the Didact, it all takes place in a cutscene and Cortana mainly handles him, all you do is push the left stick a few times to make Master Chief crawl towards the bomb. Compared to endings of other Halo games, it was kind of lame. Halo had the Warthog escape with the ship crumbling around you, Halo 2 had the Arbiter vs. the gorilla guy battle, I think Halo 3 had a sort of similar ending to Halo 1, getting away in a Warthog after battling some bad guys, Halo Reach had the final battle against the Field Marshal and then getting in the cannon, followed by the blaze of glory post-credit sequence. All you do in Halo 4 is go from platform to platform fighting the same enemies you fought all game to shut down the shields, sort of similar to the next to last part of Halo. I was actually surprised the game was over, after that epic game, that was the end? No boss battle, no ticking clock, just taking out enemies to reach objective markers, like any regular level in a Halo game.

Yeah, it wasn't as great as the others.

If you haven't yet, play Spartan Ops. It continues the story, sort of. It is a side story that takes place during the game. There are ten episodes (5 missions per episode) and Season 1 just ended. It was great.
    ~Carter~

You can spend your time alone, redigesting past regrets, oh
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can't forgive yourself, oh
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense
    - Present Tense
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Just started playing Dead Space 2. Beat the first...the 2nd looks to be even better.
    This series is as good as it gets when it comes to survival horror.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Just started playing Dead Space 2. Beat the first...the 2nd looks to be even better.

I can't wait to play 3. Part 2 had kind of a slow start to me, but it gets really epic. I'd say the last 1/3 of the game is the most edge of my seat I've been playing a game.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    The new Tomb Raider looks very good.

:)

I can't wait to play 3. Part 2 had kind of a slow start to me, but it gets really epic. I'd say the last 1/3 of the game is the most edge of my seat I've been playing a game.
    Just got to Chapter 3 and I think its pretty intense already. All those godamn freaky child monsters scared the shit outta me.
    The audio in this game is ridiculous.

Just got to Chapter 3 and I think its pretty intense already. All those godamn freaky child monsters scared the shit outta me.

It was pretty intense from start to finish, but later the gameplay gets more varied, the plot picks up, and you get some changes in scenery, enemies, and some other stuff I can't really talk about without spoilers.

It was pretty intense from start to finish, but later the gameplay gets more varied, the plot picks up, and you get some changes in scenery, enemies, and some other stuff I can't really talk about without spoilers.
    Cool. Yeah, the Sprawl is getting a bit repetitive right now. I'm in the Basilica right now.
    Cool. Yeah, the Sprawl is getting a bit repetitive right now. I'm in the Basilica right now.

Yeah, that's mainly what I was thinking of when I said started slow. It's a pretty long level, boring scenery, not much changes in what you're doing, the plot doesn't advance much, etc. The whole time you're just trying to make your way to that woman, and shit just keeps getting in your way.
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    I played my way about halfway through the original Wii Zelda. I'm trying to decide if I want to try and finish it. Any thoughts?
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
    Star War Pinball is here!!!

Check it out on Pinball FX2. It's out on Xbox and iOS (I don't know if PS3 has it)
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Big sale on XBL right now.
    Dirt 2 is 2.99 (200 ms points) and Darkness 1 is 4.99 (440 pts), easily great buys!

The GRAWs and RB6 Vegas 1 are 4.99 as well.

The main sales are changing daily, first day were the Halos (except ODST) and second day was Assassins Creed.
  • nippleholicnippleholic Posts: 1,084
    Assassin's Creed IV announced: http://youtu.be/iW1rapFNwqQ
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Fort Worth (x2), Austin (x2)
    2024: Vancouver (x2), Portland, Sacramento, Las Vegas (x2), Los Angeles (x2), Dublin, Manchester, London, Berlin (x2), Barcelona (x2)

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    Happy MLB The Show Day
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,279
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Happy MLB The Show Day
    Wait, that's today? :shock:
  • nippleholicnippleholic Posts: 1,084
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Happy MLB The Show Day

GO JAYS!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OURYEtacbNQ
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Fort Worth (x2), Austin (x2)
    2024: Vancouver (x2), Portland, Sacramento, Las Vegas (x2), Los Angeles (x2), Dublin, Manchester, London, Berlin (x2), Barcelona (x2)

I got the PS3 and Vita version coming my way. Normally I stagger sports games purchases over a few years, but I want the new playoffs/realignment

Ill probably start out with the Be a Pro mode for awhile until they complete the full minors roster download. Then I will do a franchise.
    Good reviews for the new Tomb Raider, if anyone's interested in that one it looks like a good bet.
    I played Far Side 3 this weekend and I'm impressed with it.

Tomb Raider does look good. I think I'll wait for a price drop since I have game backlog.

MLB 13 makes me consider taking my PS3 out of retirement.
    Jason P wrote:

Tomb Raider does look good. I think I'll wait for a price drop since I have game backlog.

You mean Far Cry 3, right? :P
    It is pretty good. The odd glitch but nothing game breaking. Quite fun.
    Rygar wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

You mean Far Cry 3, right? :P
    It is pretty good. The odd glitch but nothing game breaking. Quite fun.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnHXcT_KylT-66Ufm5DO4jf8zGWJDMPG8FR6RpGOR85LeahjD4

:fp:

:lol:
    Jason P wrote:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnHXcT_KylT-66Ufm5DO4jf8zGWJDMPG8FR6RpGOR85LeahjD4

:fp:

:lol:
    :lol: love that one
    On the final Chapter in Dead Space 2.

The great thing about all of these solid games is the ability to buy used games off people on ebay. Just got Batman Arkham City for $10... lined up for play after I beat this one.
    Rygar wrote:
    Good reviews for the new Tomb Raider, if anyone's interested in that one it looks like a good bet.
    Yeah, I've never been a big Tomb Raider fan but this looks pretty good!
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I got the PS3 and Vita version coming my way. Normally I stagger sports games purchases over a few years, but I want the new playoffs/realignment

Ill probably start out with the Be a Pro mode for awhile until they complete the full minors roster download. Then I will do a franchise.
    I'll definitely get the PS3 version...probably this weekend. Have gotten every year since it came out! :D
    Not sure about the Vita version though. Last year's was a HUGE step up from the PSP versions but I was still a bit disappointed in it. I'm also not nearly as good on the Vita. I'll transfer my RTTS player over to the Vita, and while I'm hitting .350 on the PS3 version, I SUCK with the same character on the Vita. I don't know if it's a framerate issue, but my timing is way off!
    Just finished Dead Space 2. Was disappointed in the ending/last boss battle.
    It was a lot easier than the First ending IMO.
    Who's picking up GOW Ascension next week?
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    The Show released yet?
    LloydXmas wrote:
    The Show released yet?
    I think so. IGN gave it a 8.8/10
    Meta has it at 85
    I got both versions, played it with the Vita... Road to the Show. Overall the game looks very similar, maybe a few improvements. I do like how you can look into the game on RTTS and watch it, even if you arent batting and the ball isnt being hit to you.

It does seem like I am much better at hitting. Havent checked the difficulty yet though. Im on Zone/Timing which I havent tried yet, maybe its easier.

Im going to wait until Operation Sports comes out with the Full Minors to start a Franchise. I may dabble in the Diamond Dynasty too before then.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    Very disappointed about the enormous amount of glitches in MLB The Show this year. This game has always been far from perfect. But they've hit new lows this year. I can't believe they'd have the nerve to put that shit out into stores. A complete disgrace not only to the great franchise The Show developers have made, but a disgrace to video gaming in general. If you can't get the game right by it's release date, then don't put it out. I'm sick of waiting for patches with this game.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com