The video game thread.

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Jason P wrote:
    Here is my list for Top Five Arcade Cabinets ... EVER!

#1 - Ms. Pac Man
    #2 - Street Fighter 2
    #3 - NBA Jam
    #4 - Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off-Road
    #5 - X-Men
    We agree on #1 and 2! Good choice! :D

Do you still play video games?

:shock:
    You mean arcade games? If I see my faves, of course! Unfortunately it's rare to come across them.... Why?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    You mean arcade games? If I see my faves, of course! Unfortunately it's rare to come across them.... Why?

Never mind :o
    PJ_Soul wrote:

What?! Am I too old? :oops:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    On a sad note, Disney is closing LucasArts. Star Wars 1313 looked very promising.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

No! :o

:lol:
    Report: Xbox 360 successor can tolerate only brief Internet interruptions

Kotaku is citing two unnamed sources that it says "have a perfect track record in getting these kinds of things right" to report that Microsoft's follow-up to the Xbox 360 will need a working Internet connection to start games and apps. And the site goes on to write that the system will only tolerate brief interruptions in that connection while the game or app is being used.

"Unless something has changed recently, Durango consumer units must have an active Internet connection to be used," one source told the site, referring to the internal code name for Microsoft's next system. "If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started. If the connection is interrupted, then after a period of time—currently three minutes, if I remember correctly—the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started." Another source said this requirement was still in effect on development hardware as recently as two weeks ago.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/04/report-xbox-360-successor-can-tolerate-only-brief-internet-interruptions/

This is some buuuuuuulshiiiiit. :fp:
    Jason P wrote:
    Report: Xbox 360 successor can tolerate only brief Internet interruptions

Kotaku is citing two unnamed sources that it says "have a perfect track record in getting these kinds of things right" to report that Microsoft's follow-up to the Xbox 360 will need a working Internet connection to start games and apps. And the site goes on to write that the system will only tolerate brief interruptions in that connection while the game or app is being used.

"Unless something has changed recently, Durango consumer units must have an active Internet connection to be used," one source told the site, referring to the internal code name for Microsoft's next system. "If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started. If the connection is interrupted, then after a period of time—currently three minutes, if I remember correctly—the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started." Another source said this requirement was still in effect on development hardware as recently as two weeks ago.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/04/report-xbox-360-successor-can-tolerate-only-brief-internet-interruptions/

This is some buuuuuuulshiiiiit. :fp:

Well.

I won't be buying that
    PJ_Soul wrote:

No! :o

:lol:
    Okay good. :lol:

I wonder if there are any arcades in Chicago? There aren't any left in Vancouver except once a year at the PNE fair. :(

I also have Super Mario Brothers for Nintendo 64 and really want to play it, but I can't figure out where the fucking feather for the hat so he can fly is. It's in the very first level, and there is no point in even proceeding to the 2nd without that thing, but I can't find it anywhere! Do any of you Super Mario people remember where in the hell that flight feather is?? :D
    (oh, and Mortal Kombat on N64 is also AWESOME, but only with 2 players, and no one will play with me :lol: ).
    PJ_Soul wrote:

(oh, and Mortal Kombat on N64 is also AWESOME, but only with 2 players, and no one will play with me :lol: ).

I'd kick your ass
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I'd kick your ass
    Quite possible, but I am pretty fucking skilled and frantically pressing random buttons until my player makes his signature killer move, so I'd give you a run for your money. :lol:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I'd kick your ass
    Quite possible, but I am pretty fucking skilled and frantically pressing random buttons until my player makes his signature killer move, so I'd give you a run for your money. :lol:

My friends and I loved MK growing up... two of them actually have MK tattoos now :lol:
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    I also have Super Mario Brothers for Nintendo 64 and really want to play it, but I can't figure out where the fucking feather for the hat so he can fly is. It's in the very first level, and there is no point in even proceeding to the 2nd without that thing, but I can't find it anywhere! Do any of you Super Mario people remember where in the hell that flight feather is?? :D

And here I thought my photographic memory of every inch of Princess Toadstool's Castle would never come in handy. lol, I played the shit out of this game back when it came out. Not only finding all 120 stars, but basically finding almost every COIN. I was obsessed. Goldeneye 64 as well. My favorite era of video gaming by a mile.

Anyway, so it sounds like you're trying to get the red switch so that all the flying hat boxes are filled in right? What ya have to do is get a couple stars. You can play other levels. You can totally proceed to other levels without the hat to fly. I don't know how many stars ya need (maybe 8?) but when ya get about that many, go out in front of the staircase in the main lobby of the castle. There should be a light shining down from the ceiling. Look up at the light and it'll take you to the red switch that will fill in all the red flying hat boxes.

Let me know how ya make out. I'll help ya take down Bowser.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    PJ_Soul wrote:

I'd kick your ass

My friends and I loved MK growing up... two of them actually have MK tattoos now :lol:
    That's dedication!
    Hmm. :think: Suddenly contemplating a S.T.U.N. Runner tattoo.
    PJ_Soul wrote:

And here I thought my photographic memory of every inch of Princess Toadstool's Castle would never come in handy. lol, I played the shit out of this game back when it came out. Not only finding all 120 stars, but basically finding almost every COIN. I was obsessed. Goldeneye 64 as well. My favorite era of video gaming by a mile.

Anyway, so it sounds like you're trying to get the red switch so that all the flying hat boxes are filled in right? What ya have to do is get a couple stars. You can play other levels. You can totally proceed to other levels without the hat to fly. I don't know how many stars ya need (maybe 8?) but when ya get about that many, go out in front of the staircase in the main lobby of the castle. There should be a light shining down from the ceiling. Look up at the light and it'll take you to the red switch that will fill in all the red flying hat boxes.

Let me know how ya make out. I'll help ya take down Bowser.
    :o:o Oh my god, I didn't expect anyone to actually answer! :lol: I couldn't even find this info doing searches online! Thank you sooooo much - I will give it a try and let you know! :D
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    :o:o Oh my god, I didn't expect anyone to actually answer! :lol: I couldn't even find this info doing searches online! Thank you sooooo much - I will give it a try and let you know! :D

I got your back, man. Now I'll be going all on memory but should be able to help ya through most parts of the game if ya need it.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    This arcade game was the shit ...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3seVE2G9Pj7pIheso_H12_UXT-hFXKIvN2-IY56nmhDqf8wp5
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    About the only thing I play right now is MLB Power Pros for Wii. It's like a mildly updated RBI Baseball.

I need a new game. Anyone play NBA 2K13 for PS3?
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    Jason P wrote:

Blast from my childhood past there. All the hick bars in Wisconsin had games like that.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
    Jason P wrote:

Blast from my childhood past there. All the hick bars in Wisconsin had games like that.
    :geek: :ugeek:
  • Bogey ManBogey Man Posts: 118
    Anyone finish Bioshock Infinite yet?

It sucked me in right until the end. What the "story" of a game should be.
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec 5/05/2016
    Ottawa 5/08/2016
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Posts: 10,217
    Bogey Man wrote:

I have a friend who said he finished it in one night. Is it short?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    Bogey Man wrote:

I have a friend who said he finished it in one night. Is it short?

:think:

I'm watching a walkthrough right now
    A Microsoft idiot ... I mean Microsoft Studios Creative Director named Adam Orth went to twitter and likened requiring an Internet connection for a console to requiring electricity for a vacuum cleaner or mobile reception for a smartphone. "Sorry, I don't get the drama around having an 'always on' console," Orth tweeted. "Every device now is 'always on.' That's the world we live in. #dealwithit"

When someone brought up that places like Janesville, WI may not have a persistant internet connection, he replied "Why would I want to live there?"

Needless to say, he is getting flamed to death on the internet.

:fp:

This fucking idiot may actually get Microsoft to think twice about an always online connection because he has brought the issue to the forefront.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,279
    Jason P wrote:
    A Microsoft idiot ... I mean Microsoft Studios Creative Director named Adam Orth went to twitter and likened requiring an Internet connection for a console to requiring electricity for a vacuum cleaner or mobile reception for a smartphone. "Sorry, I don't get the drama around having an 'always on' console," Orth tweeted. "Every device now is 'always on.' That's the world we live in. #dealwithit"

When someone brought up that places like Janesville, WI may not have a persistant internet connection, he replied "Why would I want to live there?"

This fucking idiot may actually get Microsoft to think twice about an always online connection because he has brought the issue to the forefront.
    I"m not sure he's doing that alone. Look at any article about it and it seems everyone thinks this idea is ridiculous. I have fast internet, and there are times when it goes out for a second or my router needs to be reset. If that happens mid-game while playing a non-online game...that would infuriate me to no end!
    It's getting bad press across the board. I would put money down that MS changes their approach to this prior to the next Xbox being revealed.
  • Jason P wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW28VSmX ... r_embedded

:lol::lol::lol:

That's not a 'real guy' by the way, he's playing a character.

Himself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZgmM0ZMkq4
  • About the only thing I play right now is MLB Power Pros for Wii. It's like a mildly updated RBI Baseball.

its an awesome game if you're into basketball, though all i really only play is MyPlayer.
    "I want to Rock & Roll all night, and part of everyday"
    Sept.11/05 Kitchener, Ontario
    May 10/10 Buffalo, New York
    Sept.11 & Sept 12/2011, Toronto, Ontario
    Sept. 15/11 Hamilton, Ontario
    Oct. 12/13 Buffalo, New York
    Oct 16/14 Detroit, Michigan
    May 10/16 Toronto, Ontario
  • madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    About the only thing I play right now is MLB Power Pros for Wii. It's like a mildly updated RBI Baseball.

its an awesome game if you're into basketball, though all i really only play is MyPlayer.

I picked it up. It is a fun game, and depending on the settings, it can have a decent level of difficulty. I hate the menu system; it seems like no one thought about how to efficiently organize it.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    I kind of gave up on Red Dead Redemption for now. I don't know I guess I get bored if the games are too open ended. I just ended up playing poker for like 3 hours. :lol::lol:

I picked up Deus Ex and really like it so far. I'm only about 2 hours into it though.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    I kind of gave up on Red Dead Redemption for now. I don't know I guess I get bored if the games are too open ended. I just ended up playing poker for like 3 hours. :lol::lol:

I havent touched that game in like 2 years for that very reason, but i really liked the game just seemed i spent way more time playing cards then getting the story. I think the last mission i did was stopping the cows from running over the cliff.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    EZ1221C wrote:
    Anybody play Dead Space 3 yet? Thoughts? Also, anybody excited for Bioshock Infinite? Not gonna lie, I have high expectations, Bioshock 1 was and is my favorite game of all time, even after the gigantic disappointment of 2.
    I just beat 2, but from what I've read, Part 3 is a big departure in game play from the first 2. Game play is more action oriented and they have strayed away from the survival horror aspect.

I think I'm gonna wait for the inevitable PS4 sequel.

I've been playing Dead Space 3 for 3 days, and I've yet to see anything that is a departure from the first two. It's pretty identical to the others so far. A few tweaks here and there, but the same. Which is fine by me, I loved the first two. Maybe the gameplay departure comes later, but I think I'm probably getting somewhat close to the end.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"