The video game thread.

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Beginning of the review of Aliens from Ars Technica:

If Aliens: Colonial Marines were a Hadley's Hope-style space colony, I'd want to visit for one very specific reason. I'd arrive early, standing at the edge of a cliff on its lifeless surface, holding up red flares as I see the legendary USS Sulaco break the atmosphere, full of eager fanboys ready to play a game with tons of promise and years of troubled development behind it. Then, I would toggle my radio transmitter to a wide-space broadcast and shout to the heavens, “Do not land! Everything here is dead! Game over, man!”

Maybe it'd fall on deaf ears in a universe that favors pre-orders, but if I could warn off even a few Aliens diehards, my sacrificial slog through this game's ugly, poorly acted monotony would not be in vain.

:mrgreen:

:fp:
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Ha, I read 1 review that was a 4/5, and the rest are all 4.5/10 or less and not very kind at all.
    Has anyone played Aliens yet? Is it really a burnt turd sandwich or does it have any redeeming quality?

:corn:
    Jason P wrote:
    Has anyone played Aliens yet? Is it really a burnt turd sandwich or does it have any redeeming quality?

:corn:
    From people I actually know I only have feedback from 1 person, who rated it as 'mediocre' and not really noteworthy.
    I bought the spec edition, which is out for delivery to me right now, and I'm returning it. Even if it is "ok" that's too much money for something that isn't great ;)

Reading this doesn't help: http://kotaku.com/aliens%7C-colonial-marines/
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Expecting big things from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    All this talk about Colonial Marines is disappointing, but I've liked games that were critically panned in the past. Obi-Wan was pretty much a critical/commercial failure, when I bought it the guy at GameStop actually tried to talk me out of it, and I loved it. Quantum Of Solace and Blood Stone weren't all that well received, but I love them. On the reverse, so many critically acclaimed games do nothing for me. Assassins Creed bored me to tears for example. I may still give this a try, though maybe I'll wait for the price drop or something.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • All this talk about Colonial Marines is disappointing, but I've liked games that were critically panned in the past. Obi-Wan was pretty much a critical/commercial failure, when I bought it the guy at GameStop actually tried to talk me out of it, and I loved it. Quantum Of Solace and Blood Stone weren't all that well received, but I love them. On the reverse, so many critically acclaimed games do nothing for me. Assassins Creed bored me to tears for example. I may still give this a try, though maybe I'll wait for the price drop or something.

Which Assassin's Creed? My understanding on that series was the first one was a repetitive bore, 2 was great and the rest were all a downhill slide.
  • All this talk about Colonial Marines is disappointing, but I've liked games that were critically panned in the past. Obi-Wan was pretty much a critical/commercial failure, when I bought it the guy at GameStop actually tried to talk me out of it, and I loved it. Quantum Of Solace and Blood Stone weren't all that well received, but I love them. On the reverse, so many critically acclaimed games do nothing for me. Assassins Creed bored me to tears for example. I may still give this a try, though maybe I'll wait for the price drop or something.

Which Assassin's Creed? My understanding on that series was the first one was a repetitive bore, 2 was great and the rest were all a downhill slide.

Assassin's Creed 1 - Boring, repetitive, but interesting story
    AC 2 - Way better. Different style completely

And then the rest, to me, get wayyy better. The story is so exciting! I love it especially since I love history stuff.
    ~Carter~

You can spend your time alone, redigesting past regrets, oh
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can't forgive yourself, oh
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense
    - Present Tense
    Beat the first AC.
    Heard the 3rd was rewangulously good.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,279
    All this talk about Colonial Marines is disappointing, but I've liked games that were critically panned in the past. Obi-Wan was pretty much a critical/commercial failure, when I bought it the guy at GameStop actually tried to talk me out of it, and I loved it. Quantum Of Solace and Blood Stone weren't all that well received, but I love them. On the reverse, so many critically acclaimed games do nothing for me. Assassins Creed bored me to tears for example. I may still give this a try, though maybe I'll wait for the price drop or something.

I thought the third AC was the best. :?

The first one really does suck. I haven't played any of the others
  • One game I recently bought even though its been out a while is Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. To me it is a mixture of Call of Duty and Gears of War. It is totally different than all the other Ghost Recon games I have played. Sadly I have not been able to play it much due to school, but it was definitely in my top 5 favorite games of 2012.
    ~Carter~

- Present Tense

It wasn't the first one, because one thing I remember was that it was picking up where a previous game left off, and I wasn't exactly up to date on what the hell was happening. This one started off in Renaissance Italy, you met Leonardo Da Vinci and shit like that. I got bored with it because it was just a bunch of climbing around and jumping from rooftop to rooftop. I seem to remember one part where I had to gather chickens or something dumb like that. I gave up on it after a couple hours of play.
  • Finally got to play Halo 4. I like it, the dialog is laughably bad, but the game is pretty solid so far.
  • Finally got to play Halo 4. I like it, the dialog is laughably bad, but the game is pretty solid so far.

You are in for a treat. Halo 4 was my favorite game of 2012. If you loved the Halo story up to that game then you will not be disappointed.
    ~Carter~

- Present Tense
    apparently there is a good chance that the PS4 will be announced tomorrow in NYC at a Sony Press Conference.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/14/ ... ent-on-ign
    apparently there is a good chance that the PS4 will be announced tomorrow in NYC at a Sony Press Conference.

Yep. They've been building this up for the last week! Should be interesting.
  • apparently there is a good chance that the PS4 will be announced tomorrow in NYC at a Sony Press Conference.

I don't know if I want to buy another console. This may be the end for me :lol:

I don't know if I want to buy another console. This may be the end for me :lol:
    How are you going to play videogames?

A computer? :fp:
    mca47 wrote:

The price numbers that are being thrown around are pretty crazy.
    Finally got to play Halo 4. I like it, the dialog is laughably bad, but the game is pretty solid so far.

I was really liking it, but I haven't played it for a few weeks, I need to get back into it. I was starting to get tired with Halo during the third game, but then I enjoyed Reach. I wasn't that excited about Halo 4, but it's surprisingly good. I can't put my finger on why exactly, it's not just the return of Master Chief, but it felt like a nice return to form. Maybe it's because the plot, which was important in making me enjoy the first two, was actually good again. I was getting tired of the story by the third, and it felt like a rehash, this one is actually interesting. New bad guys helps I think, and some mystery again.
  • Ive been playing some Max Payne 3. Great game for me. The lead character is drunk the whole time. You hide and shoot. Hide and shoot. Repeat. I dig it, but its repetitive.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    mca47 wrote:

Hmm was hearing $300 for the new Xbox as well, but with the vendetta against used games (if the rumours are to be believed) than Sony and MS are making a huge mistake.

I was really liking it, but I haven't played it for a few weeks, I need to get back into it. I was starting to get tired with Halo during the third game, but then I enjoyed Reach. I wasn't that excited about Halo 4, but it's surprisingly good. I can't put my finger on why exactly, it's not just the return of Master Chief, but it felt like a nice return to form. Maybe it's because the plot, which was important in making me enjoy the first two, was actually good again. I was getting tired of the story by the third, and it felt like a rehash, this one is actually interesting. New bad guys helps I think, and some mystery again.

Loved H4, great game!
    One game I recently bought even though its been out a while is Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. To me it is a mixture of Call of Duty and Gears of War. It is totally different than all the other Ghost Recon games I have played. Sadly I have not been able to play it much due to school, but it was definitely in my top 5 favorite games of 2012.
    I bought FS just before Christmas I think, it is still in the cellophane (I bought it because I loved GRAW 1 and 2, and it was 19.99 brand new and likely as cheap as it will ever be). It is still wrapped up because I have too many games to play ;)

F1 2012 is probably my favourite game out of the Christmas season.
    It will be interesting to see if Sony requires persistant internet connection and if games are registered to each console to prevent reselling games.

I think the iPad has really hurt the console business scheme. A good percentage of casual gamers have given up on the consoles. Doing something stupid like locking games to one user could be a nail in the coffin for the console business.
    Agreed, not sure how much I believe those rumours as you'd think they would know it is a horrible move.
    mca47 wrote:

I heard expectations were $299 for both upcoming systems. From what it sounds like, the hardware is going to be pretty comparable, so I'd imagine the price would too.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/19/ ... edly-outed

Well, this rumor has it a bit more....
    mca47 wrote:
    True but all is rumour until the details are released from the horse's mouth.

Won't be buying either right away anywho, and a PS4 will probably be a long while after a new Xbox for me, if at all.