The video game thread.

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Jason P wrote:
    I wasn't going to buy it because I heard they screwed up the skating but ended up buying in because I found it on sale for $30.

Turns out the gameplay is great and much more realistic. Poke checks are more effective and the animations look great. But for some reason I'm getting killed in face-offs.

Yeah, the skating was pretty weird at first but have gotten used to it. Poke checks are definitely more effective this year...although I have been getting a ton of penalties trying to poke check guys.
    That's why you turn the penalties off! 8-)
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    did they fix after the whistle scrums? new feature they added in '12 (maybe '11), and got old real fast! delayed the game, and usually resulted in my goalie dropping the gloves! :shock: :lol:
    rival. wrote:
    did they fix after the whistle scrums? new feature they added in '12 (maybe '11), and got old real fast! delayed the game, and usually resulted in my goalie dropping the gloves! :shock: :lol:
    I usually play with my drunken friends and we miss having the opportunity to lay people out after the whistle. :) :(

The thing I like the most about the NHL series is that it's the only game left I can play together with a group of friends all sitting in the same room.
  • Jason P wrote:
    rival. wrote:
    I usually play with my drunken friends and we miss having the opportunity to lay people out after the whistle. :) :(

The thing I like the most about the NHL series is that it's the only game left I can play together with a group of friends all sitting in the same room.

Haha...my friends and I used to do the exact same thing. Kinda a bummer with no more scrums after the whistle.

Yep, that's exactly what makes NHL games so great. My friends and I are all 29-30 years old, but we still get together every now and then and have some marathon NHL sessions. Sounds lame, but it's so much fun.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    Jason P wrote:
    rival. wrote:

same here. my friends and i used to have some SERIOUS tournaments with NHL Pro Hits for PS2. things got crazy at times!

after we all moved away, we play each other online now. love laying out friends after the whistle, i just hate the scrums against the computer or against a random online opponent. there was one xbox achievment that you were awarded if you completed an online game without taking a penalty. impossible to do after getting roped into a scrum each and every time!
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    I would have bought NHL... Mainly for the CHL rosters (LOL), but i refuse to buy anything NHL or wear any apparel until they come to agreement.

ANyways, my video game time this weekend will be dedicated to trying to finish off Borderlands.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,279
    Dark Souls 2 announced. Can't wait!!!!

I did hear that the developer mentioned something about it being made to be more "accessible" to a larger audience. This does not sound good! :?
    mca47 wrote:
    Dark Souls 2 announced. Can't wait!!!!

I did hear that the developer mentioned something about it being made to be more "accessible" to a larger audience. This does not sound good! :?

thats about what they said about Civilization V and they completely roooned it
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    Anyone watch the Video games awards the other week?

One of my friends works at Telltale games in Cali. Anywho I talked to him the other night and he mentioned that where he works won studio of the year and they also won video game of the year for the Walking Dead. Pretty cool cause he helped with making the game and stuff. :)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Anyone watch the Video games awards the other week?

One of my friends works at Telltale games in Cali. Anywho I talked to him the other night and he mentioned that where he works won studio of the year and they also won video game of the year for the Walking Dead. Pretty cool cause he helped with making the game and stuff. :)
    Was a fun game indeed!
  • Gonna get the new Halo in a couple days
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Gonna get the new Halo in a couple days

I've had it for about a week, already tired of it. The only reason I'll continue is because the story is pretty good and I want to see how it ends. I'm only about halfway through, so maybe it will get better, but at this point it's just so repetitive. At first it was really fun, Master Chief was back, there were new enemies and weapons, etc. But after a while the new wore off and the combat got to the point that it was monotonous, there's not much variation in levels/scenery or combat scenarios.

I had gotten pretty tired of the Halo series prior to this though. In the original trilogy I loved the first two, but by the third I was getting bored with it, and the third just wasn't very good IMO anyway. Halo Reach was really cool and a breath of fresh air for the series, but now it's back to the same old thing.

On top of that, the new enemies are annoying. I don't mean annoying in that they are too hard, I mean they're actually annoying. They disappear and reappear elsewhere, which is especially annoying when you have their shields all the way down and about to finally kill it, then it just teleports away. Other times they have sentinel type things with them that will shield them, or if you throw a grenade throw it back. Rather than being fun, killing these things is more like a chore.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    I saw that Journey won Game of the Year on ign.com and Gamespot. Not sure about "Game of the Year", but it was a damn good game!! Anyone else play this little gem?
    mca47 wrote:
    I saw that Journey won Game of the Year on ign.com and Gamespot. Not sure about "Game of the Year", but it was a damn good game!! Anyone else play this little gem?
    I have not played it, but I've seen the gameplay ... for it to beat out Mass Effect 3 or XCom... that is hard to comprehend.
  • Jason P wrote:
    mca47 wrote:
    I have not played it, but I've seen the gameplay ... for it to beat out Mass Effect 3 or XCom... that is hard to comprehend.

I was thinking the same thing. I watched a few minutes of gameplay on YouTube and it looked cool but a bit boring.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    My Game of the Year Nominees:

(only including games I've played)

XCom: Enemy Unknown
    Mass Effect 3
    Super Mario Bros. WiiU
    Trails Evolution
    Borderlands 2
    Halo 4
    it gets lost in the shuffle, but the NCAA Football game by EA kills it every year.
    Just saw the commercial for "Aliens: Colonial Marines", it looks awesome. I love the Alien franchise.

colonialmarines.jpg?width=460

But I swear to God, if I play with anybody online and they tell me to "stay frosty", I will team kill them.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Just saw the commercial for "Aliens: Colonial Marines", it looks awesome. I love the Alien franchise.

But I swear to God, if I play with anybody online and they tell me to "stay frosty", I will team kill them.
    I pre-ordered the other day.
    And I hadn't thought to say that, among the many other Aliens quotes I'm sure I'll be rambling on with ("Game over man" ought to be overused in about 10 seconds), but now that you mention it....
    Rygar wrote:

I pre-ordered the other day.
    And I hadn't thought to say that, among the many other Aliens quotes I'm sure I'll be rambling on with ("Game over man" ought to be overused in about 10 seconds), but now that you mention it....

Oh yeah, "Game Over Man!" will be tossed around. I'm sure "Marines! We Are LEAVING", "Get away from her you bitch!", and various others will be thrown around as well. And as soon as I get fed up and leave a game because the constant recycling of Alien/Aliens lines, somebody will probably say "Guess he didn't like the cornbread either".

Are there any benefits to pre-ordering where you did? Usually the TV commercials will say to buy it at so and so to get some extra, but the commercials I've seen haven't offered any pre-order bonuses. I'll have to do some looking before I buy or pre-order. GameStop will usually have one thing, Best Buy another, and all that.

Oh yeah, "Game Over Man!" will be tossed around. I'm sure "Marines! We Are LEAVING", "Get away from her you bitch!", and various others will be thrown around as well. And as soon as I get fed up and leave a game because the constant recycling of Alien/Aliens lines, somebody will probably say "Guess he didn't like the cornbread either".

Are there any benefits to pre-ordering where you did? Usually the TV commercials will say to buy it at so and so to get some extra, but the commercials I've seen haven't offered any pre-order bonuses. I'll have to do some looking before I buy or pre-order. GameStop will usually have one thing, Best Buy another, and all that.
    I am going to have to watch the movie the day before delivery......
    Sorry I had missed your reply. I didn't see any pre-order bonuses mentioned for this one yet, which is a bit unusual. Best Buy had the limited edition 5 dollars off and that's it.

I finished Dishonored yesterday, excellent game. I highly recommend it. I can see myself putting another 2 playthroughs in as well (one for killing no one, and one for going on a murderous rampage, naturally).
    Rygar wrote:

I am going to have to watch the movie the day before delivery......
    Sorry I had missed your reply. I didn't see any pre-order bonuses mentioned for this one yet, which is a bit unusual. Best Buy had the limited edition 5 dollars off and that's it.

I finished Dishonored yesterday, excellent game. I highly recommend it. I can see myself putting another 2 playthroughs in as well (one for killing no one, and one for going on a murderous rampage, naturally).

That's OK, I had missed yours by a week I think. This thread gets buried pretty quickly sometimes. It looks like GameStop has a pre-order bonus for multiplayer. Here's what it says...

Pre-order Aliens Colonial Marines and receive the Exclusive Competitive Multiplayer Pack!

Four Playable Movie Characters: Players will be able to fight for their squad's survival and confront hordes of enemies as the original ALIENS film icons Private Hudson, Corporal Hicks, Private Drake and Sergeant Apone.

Additional Marines Character Customization Options

Ripley's Flamethrower

I'm totally going to be Apone.

A._Apone.jpg

I'll have to stop myself from telling people I just "Apowned" them though.

I might check out Dishonored, I've heard good things. But with this Aliens game coming out and last night I saw the commercial for Dead Space 3, it might be a little bit before I get to it. I loved Dead Space and Dead Space 2. The story is so good, very fun to play, and they're scary as hell. The only problem is, for me at least, there's not much replay value. But I always enjoy the first playthrough. I just rented the first 2, but I got rid of my GameFly account and I don't know if the 1 Blockbuster alive in the area still carries games, or if they even bother to stay too up to date, so I might end up buying it. Though I kind of hate to knowing I'll only play it once.

That's OK, I had missed yours by a week I think. This thread gets buried pretty quickly sometimes. It looks like GameStop has a pre-order bonus for multiplayer. Here's what it says...

Pre-order Aliens Colonial Marines and receive the Exclusive Competitive Multiplayer Pack!

Four Playable Movie Characters: Players will be able to fight for their squad's survival and confront hordes of enemies as the original ALIENS film icons Private Hudson, Corporal Hicks, Private Drake and Sergeant Apone.

Additional Marines Character Customization Options

Ripley's Flamethrower

I'm totally going to be Apone.

A._Apone.jpg

I'll have to stop myself from telling people I just "Apowned" them though.

I might check out Dishonored, I've heard good things. But with this Aliens game coming out and last night I saw the commercial for Dead Space 3, it might be a little bit before I get to it. I loved Dead Space and Dead Space 2. The story is so good, very fun to play, and they're scary as hell. The only problem is, for me at least, there's not much replay value. But I always enjoy the first playthrough. I just rented the first 2, but I got rid of my GameFly account and I don't know if the 1 Blockbuster alive in the area still carries games, or if they even bother to stay too up to date, so I might end up buying it. Though I kind of hate to knowing I'll only play it once.

Look into my eye!

Hmm those pre-order bonuses are included with the limited edition at best buy too.
    Rygar wrote:
    Look into my eye!

Hmm those pre-order bonuses are included with the limited edition at best buy too.

I might have to just get it from Best Buy then. I have a rewards zone card and get double points for buying games, so I try to buy things there unless it's just not a good option.
    Rygar wrote:
    Look into my eye!

I might have to just get it from Best Buy then. I have a rewards zone card and get double points for buying games, so I try to buy things there unless it's just not a good option.
    Likewise. I also had a gift card so used that towards it.
    Fuck Best Buy

I pre-ordered The Show (Vita) last year from them, went to pick it up (hours before a flight I really wanted it for), and the didnt have it.
    Rygar wrote:
    Look into my eye!

Sounds like Aliens is a completely steaming pile of return!
    Rygar wrote:
    Sounds like Aliens is a completely steaming pile of return!

It is getting murdured by the review sites. Both IGN and Gamespot gave it a 4.5

Too bad as it looked to have promise. Games based on movies usually suck. I think there were two good ones; Goldeneye and KotOR.
    Very disappointing!
    I will likely return it and wait until it is properly priced at $15 to get it ;)