Options

The video game thread.

Comments

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Anyone try the Forza Horizon demo yet?

My xbox is in the shop (missed UPS yesterday) so I haven't gotten around to it yet....
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,625
    I dont have too much urge for the Dishonored game. It kind of reminds me of a cross between Assassins Creed I and LA Noire.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I dont have too much urge for the Dishonored game. It kind of reminds me of a cross between Assassins Creed I and LA Noire.
    I'll look for it on Amazon black friday or next year at a discount. It does look cool.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,265
    I just saw IGN's video review of Dishonored. I knew nothing of this game prior to it and i think it looks pretty sweet! A little Deus Ex meets Assassin's Creed. Might have to pick it up for the weekend! :)
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    Im thinking about picking up Sleeping Dogs for Ps3. I like the open world games cause I also like beer, and I always forget where I left off in normal sequential games. :P
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    I got XCOM: Enemy Unknown for the xbox. I was debating getting it for the PC, but reviews said the controller actually works great. After a few hours, I'd have to agree. It works like a charm and it is very natural to move everyone around and issue commands.

It's nice to have a good turn-based strategy game on a counsel system. I am pretty impressed with the game right now. There is base building mixed in with missions where you have to tactically move your team around and manage resources. And when someone dies in your squad, that's it. It sucks when someone you promoted to sergeant gets killed because you left them exposed, but I like that there are consequences in games considering how most games are so easy today.

It's a fun game, but it makes you think. I would recommend this game to anyone that likes strategy games.

Thanks for the rec.
    Picked it up yesterday and played for a bit. Still in the 'walkthrough' stages, but very cool. I like a lot of things... smaller things such as your troops having different nationalities and flags on their uniforms. You can also rename them, change their appearance, etc. I had a German guy, named him Jochan Hecht (Buffalo Sabres) and he became a sniper. I also had "Guy Smiley" from the USA. Both were killed and I was crushed.
    I have a dude from Argentina and a broad from Italy who are rolling a bit.

Very different game. I like it.
  • Options
    Forza Horizon is getting very good reviews. I shouldn't say I'm surprised, but I kinda am. The project seemed too ambitious. The IGN video review looks amazing. This looks like a must-buy for me.

It's also a good sign when a studio decides to not have a "review" embargo in place. Shows they have confidence in the final product.
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Jason P wrote:
    Forza Horizon is getting very good reviews. I shouldn't say I'm surprised, but I kinda am. The project seemed too ambitious. The IGN video review looks amazing. This looks like a must-buy for me.

It's also a good sign when a studio decides to not have a "review" embargo in place. Shows they have confidence in the final product.
    Yeah I got my 360 back yesterday so was able to give it a whirl.
    As a huge Forza Motorsport 2-4 fan, I was largely unimpressed. I mean it was fine, but I just didn't care to play it. Maybe it is the damage to the free driving genre left by TDU2....

Anyway, graphics are great, physics are good (not the same as F4 I don't think).
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Thanks for the rec.
    Picked it up yesterday and played for a bit. Still in the 'walkthrough' stages, but very cool. I like a lot of things... smaller things such as your troops having different nationalities and flags on their uniforms. You can also rename them, change their appearance, etc. I had a German guy, named him Jochan Hecht (Buffalo Sabres) and he became a sniper. I also had "Guy Smiley" from the USA. Both were killed and I was crushed.

I'm playing on easy right now. I'll probably start over on medium once I start to figure out what mistakes I'm making in base building, resource management, squad promotion, tactics, etc.

Besides the three that died in the walk-through mission, I've not lost any troops ... although many have been gravely injured.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Thanks for the rec.

I'm playing on easy right now. I'll probably start over on medium once I start to figure out what mistakes I'm making in base building, resource management, squad promotion, tactics, etc.

Besides the three that died in the walk-through mission, I've not lost any troops ... although many have been gravely injured.

I'm playing on classic and i'm just barely holding my own. I was a big fan of the original and this doesn't disappoint. The UK left after the first month and a few other nations are close to leaving. Not sure if I'll last this month. I would have played Ironman mode too but I'm worried about encountering a bug and having the whole game scrapped.
  • Options
    I'm playing on classic and i'm just barely holding my own. I was a big fan of the original and this doesn't disappoint. The UK left after the first month and a few other nations are close to leaving. Not sure if I'll last this month. I would have played Ironman mode too but I'm worried about encountering a bug and having the whole game scrapped.
    How does the gameplay compare to the original? Are you able to use past-strategy?
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    How does the gameplay compare to the original? Are you able to use past-strategy?

Not at all. Game mechanics have changed significantly. There was a lot more freedom in the OG with a different moving system. You could build multiple bases around the world and have upto 14 men in a squad. The changes are good and are more 'sreamlined' I guess. Giving the soldiers abilities offsets the overcumbersome amount of men to move in the OG. Loving it so far but I just botched a terror mission. Looks like I'm gonna have to restart :lol:
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I was bouncing back and forth between Dishonored and XCom yesterday. By the time I arrived at the game store, I'd pretty much settled on XCom. Then the staff there convinced me to go the other route and get Dishonored. They told me to get that, play it for a week or two, finish it and trade it back (plus some dollars), for XCom. If I don't get it done I'll probably just buy XCom anyway.
  • Options
    I was bouncing back and forth between Dishonored and XCom yesterday. By the time I arrived at the game store, I'd pretty much settled on XCom. Then the staff there convinced me to go the other route and get Dishonored. They told me to get that, play it for a week or two, finish it and trade it back (plus some dollars), for XCom. If I don't get it done I'll probably just buy XCom anyway.

Sounds like good advice to be fair. XCom is a long game and you may want to have multiple play throughs.

Don't know a great deal about Dishonoured but its getting some very impressive reviews. XCom is the first Xbox game i've bought in 12 months.
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    Sounds like good advice to be fair. XCom is a long game and you may want to have multiple play throughs.

Don't know a great deal about Dishonoured but its getting some very impressive reviews. XCom is the first Xbox game i've bought in 12 months.
    That's fair, Dishonored was my first game purchase (except for Soul Calibur V), since December. I wanted something to fill my no-hockey void. I figured XCom would occupy a lot of my time and I'd never get around to Dishonored, so doing it this way gives me the opportunity to play both.
  • Options
    lol:
    XCOM:
    The game went from like a 3 difficulty to a 10 when the Aliens attacked Vancouver. I went down to save a bunch of people. Brought my best troops (luckily my 2 best were injured and resting).

Those Floaters were new and different. OK, I could deal with those.... But those insectoid things that turn people into zombies who burst into more zombie-making aliens if you dont kill them quick enough... It was a bloodbath and all 5 troops I had out there were massacred and all the people died.
  • Options
    Assassins Creed III and Need for Speed are out today.

UBISOFT still has the review embargo up on AC3 which usually isn't a good sign ... at least they didn't delay sending out copies to review sites like EA did with Medal of Honor Warfighter which turned out to be a steaming pile of poop.

Criterion is producing Need for Speed so I have high hopes for it.

HALO 4 NEXT WEEK!
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Jason P wrote:
    Assassins Creed III and Need for Speed are out today.

UBISOFT still has the review embargo up on AC3 which usually isn't a good sign ... at least they didn't delay sending out copies to review sites like EA did with Medal of Honor Warfighter which turned out to be a steaming pile of poop.

Criterion is producing Need for Speed so I have high hopes for it.

HALO 4 NEXT WEEK!

Damn... MOH looked sweet... AC3 looks stupid to me. I dunno, I think the Revolutionary War thing is kind of a turnoff for me... having that kind of an assassin there seems really out of place.
  • Options
    NFS Most wanted or Forza Horizon?

:think:
  • Options
    The Halo 4 review embargo has been lifted early ... and the results look stellar. I was a little concerned with the end product since a new studio took over but it looks like all is right.
  • Options
    Still got XCom, havent had a chance to hit it in the past week.

Grabbed the Silent Hill for the Vita.

Also thinking about going with either Borderlands 2, AC3, or Dishonored.
  • Options
    Anybody else thinking about picking up Nintendos new system? Had no intention of buying it until I heard about ZombieU.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Cant wait to see the first latest trailer for GTAV
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Anybody else thinking about picking up Nintendos new system? Had no intention of buying it until I heard about ZombieU.
    I imagine they will be hard to find just like the Wii for at least a year.

I'm not sold on it so far.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    I imagine they will be hard to find just like the Wii for at least a year.

I'm not sold on it so far.
    The deluxe versions seem to be selling out online, but the regular ones seems to be in stock at most sites. They really aren't advertising it well though. Supposedly the first tv ad in the states just came out and the system is being released in a few weeks. That and the ad makes it seem like an add on for the wii instead of an actual new system.
  • Options
    Another year will be coming to an end...
    Another year with me NOT playing a video game..

I now think it is 30 years, without me playing a video game.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    Another year will be coming to an end...
    Another year with me NOT playing a video game..

I now think it is 30 years, without me playing a video game.

I don't give a rats ass about whether you play video games or not
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,255
    To all the gamers out there, you must check out Wreck It Ralph! Does a great job of combining some old video games and the newer latests ones.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I just got Madden 13 in the mail today. I didn't even know I had it coming. Apparently it's my free gift from Sports Illustrated this year. I'm excited to check it out.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I just got Madden 13 in the mail today. I didn't even know I had it coming. Apparently it's my free gift from Sports Illustrated this year. I'm excited to check it out.
    Better than a football phone.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.