Options

OFFICIAL 2021 Tour de France thread

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Pats54 wrote:
    They don't stop the clock on a TT if you have a problem.

AC can settle all of this by winning with a 2+ minute cushion.

Always hate it when the tour ends

you aren't really racing against the clock in a regular stage ... you are racing your fellow competitors relative to each other ... i believe tradition in sport is a good thing ... especially when it comes to fair play ... in soccer if a guy is really hurt - the other team kicks the ball away and then gets the ball right back ... i think this is one of those good traditions in cycling ... alberto believes in it hence his apology ...

sucks it's a rest day ... as for the tour itself ... i'm kinda torn ... although there has been some fantastic stuff early on ... the pyrenees have been a dud except for chaingate ... hardly much change at the top of the GC capped off by yesterday's stage ... so, i'm really hoping for some carnage in the GC standings tomorrow and a TT that will be close ...
  • Options
    Pats54Pats54 Posts: 276
    polaris_x wrote:
    Pats54 wrote:
    They don't stop the clock on a TT if you have a problem.

AC can settle all of this by winning with a 2+ minute cushion.

Always hate it when the tour ends

you aren't really racing against the clock in a regular stage ... you are racing your fellow competitors relative to each other ... i believe tradition in sport is a good thing ... especially when it comes to fair play ... in soccer if a guy is really hurt - the other team kicks the ball away and then gets the ball right back ... i think this is one of those good traditions in cycling ... alberto believes in it hence his apology ...

sucks it's a rest day ... as for the tour itself ... i'm kinda torn ... although there has been some fantastic stuff early on ... the pyrenees have been a dud except for chaingate ... hardly much change at the top of the GC capped off by yesterday's stage ... so, i'm really hoping for some carnage in the GC standings tomorrow and a TT that will be close ...

Just throwing that out there. I feel he should have waited as that is the tradition in cycling. He can end it all by putting in a monster ride tomorrow and put some time between himself and AS.

Agreed, how can you have huge climbs like yesterday and not have a shake-up in the GC with some real fireworks on the road. Really disappointing. Saw a show the other night recapping on of LA's wins ( think it was 03). Really miss big Jan. Can't believe how he rode up those mountain passes and never stood up. His knee's must be junk. The question I have is will AC win a stage this year???
  • Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    Turns out AC apologized to AS, and the apology was accepted, so all the talk about this incident should stop now, and all of us should appreciate tomorrow's stage, which I hope will be a huge - and fair - battle between the two. (The atmosphere in Luxembourg is pretty heated up because of this now, and I as a Luxembourger think that it's not gonna be those 30-something seconds that will win or lose the TDF for either of the two, so people should really calm down now...) May the better win, simple as that.

As to whether AC will win a stage, either tomorrow (although I hope - and dare to think - that AS is stronger in the mountains this year and will win tomorrow, however without opening a significant enough time gap over AC to win it all), or Saturday's time trial (which may depend on how well Cancellara has recovered from his mid-week illness - reports have it he had a slight cold - because I think those two will be the ones that it comes down to in that stage) are the last remaining chances.
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    [urhttp://www.cyclingnews.com/news/roche-furious-at-gadret-for-not-helping-with-tyrel][/url]

The same day as the chain dropping incident, Roche's (AG2R) team-mate Gadret refused to stop and help Roche when he had a flat. Apparently Roche is team leader. Not only did Gadret refuse to stop but he attacked! Ha! Roche was/is furious. He said if Gadret was found dead in his hotel room he [Roche] would be the number 1 suspect. I bet their team dinners are a little stressful.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:
    Just throwing that out there. I feel he should have waited as that is the tradition in cycling. He can end it all by putting in a monster ride tomorrow and put some time between himself and AS.

Agreed, how can you have huge climbs like yesterday and not have a shake-up in the GC with some real fireworks on the road. Really disappointing. Saw a show the other night recapping on of LA's wins ( think it was 03). Really miss big Jan. Can't believe how he rode up those mountain passes and never stood up. His knee's must be junk. The question I have is will AC win a stage this year???

ya ... big Jan that guy rode up the alps on his big ring! ... i still can see him riding off the mtn into a creek and carrying his bike up the hill while lance waited ... hahahaha

AC's only chance a stage win is tomorrow ... however, i don't think any teams are strong enough to contain breakaways ... if a couple of nobody's break off - no one is gonna want to do the work to contain them similar to yesterday ... saxo bank is pretty much depleted and astana need to conserve to work on the final climb ... i can see a few guys take off and win tomorrow ... but they have to be nobody's well down in the GC ... i don't see AC winning the TT although both Cancellara and Millar are both fighting things so maybe ...

and kloddz - totally agree ... it helps that both AC and AS are good friends ... i suspect Andy will need at least 1.5 minutes on AC tomorrow for a chance at yellow in paris ... i also feel that if frank was around - andy would have at least that amount of time on AC by now ... poor Andy has been riding by himself with very little support ...
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Can't wait for tomorrow. That looks like quite a big hill at the end! :lol::lol:
    Think I might watch the whole lot live and not just the highlights like I normally do.

Also a big hats in the air to the commentators. They can keep going if nothing is happening. Brilliant :clap::clap:
  • Options
    I agree on the lacking support for Andy on the Saxo team after Frank crashed out, it's a real shame. Contador in comparison had Vinokourov, now that's another caliber... But: I hear both Schleck brothers will be running in the Vuelta in about a month (Frank is already back on the bike two weeks after the collarbone fracture, man these guys are real tough material :twisted: ) and maybe they will be able to support each other there the way they intended to do in the Tour - so good things to come. :) Plus, a new (Luxembourg based) team is in the talks for next year, with both of them as the corner stones of course, and hopefully some strong guys in support. And rumor has it that Riis (Saxo team manager) will try to lure Contador to Saxo to replace the Schlecks, which would be kinda odd...

As for tomorrow: yep, I also think a minute and a half would be the strict minimum advance Andy needs to have a shot at winning the GC, two would be better but will be tough to come by... Anyways, I'm looking forward to it! (And an unproductive day because my attention will be split between work and watching the live stream from around 4pm on :lol: )
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

• Options
    PJGirl321PJGirl321 Posts: 377
    quote]I believe he is racing next year just not at the TDF. The one crash where he slide on is back at 40MPH I think really took a lot out of him. Really tough for him to compete with the younger riders at this point in his career. Would love to see him ride some of the one day spring classics (Paris Roubaix) Nice to see him on the break yesterday. When was the last time we saw that. Terrible stage b/c the finish was all downhill. With those MT's should have been a MT finish.
    Yes a PJ Jersey that says I'm still alive as I haul my ass up the big hills here in central mass.[/quote]

Yes no doubt that Armstrong will do other races. Not to mention that Radio Shack put a lot of money and committement into building a team around him. But I don't think he wanted to leave TDF in this way. He was on the podium last year. On another note AC should have waited for Schlek. I know there is a lot of debate about it but precedents have been set in the sport.

We need a PJ Jersey. Stones, Dead, Floyd - they all have cycling jerseys.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,492

The same day as the chain dropping incident, Roche's (AG2R) team-mate Gadret refused to stop and help Roche when he had a flat. Apparently Roche is team leader. Not only did Gadret refuse to stop but he attacked! Ha! Roche was/is furious. He said if Gadret was found dead in his hotel room he [Roche] would be the number 1 suspect. I bet their team dinners are a little stressful.
    :shock: :shock: :lol:

astana just seems like a monster. AC never seems to be w/o protection. who's the teamate with the breathe right strip, the gold medallion and the perpetually exhausted look? :? :lol:

i'm rooting for andy and i'm hoping for some big time drama on the tormalet tomorrow....no more of this "same time" crap! :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    whoa!!! old news, i'm sure, but paul and phil are having words! :shock:

"you've never ridden a tour de france, phil"

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    i'm rooting for andy and i'm hoping for some big time drama on the tormalet tomorrow....no more of this "same time" crap! :mrgreen:

yes! ... give me some carnage dammit!! ... haha :evil:
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    whoa!!! old news, i'm sure, but paul and phil are having words! :shock:

"you've never ridden a tour de france, phil"

Thought I heard that last night, too funny. The two riders who got in a fight and the rensahw headbutt must and the overall weirdness of this tour must have inspired them.
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

:shock: :shock: :lol:

astana just seems like a monster. AC never seems to be w/o protection. who's the teamate with the breathe right strip, the gold medallion and the perpetually exhausted look? :? :lol:

Agreed it does seem like AC has about 5 riders around him at all times, with Vino 5 minutes up the road. Can't wait for the tormalet.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    No the racing can be great.
    Especially those uphill climbs to the finish line when there are a few leaders fighting it out.
    And yes the scenery is great.
    I am a bit of a cycling fan and love bike riding in summer 8-)
    isn't it summertime on a daily basis in australia?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick is a fan? :wtf: ;):lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    This is a cool cycling blog....

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/

He's also covering the TDF for Universal Sports.com.

Tomorrow will be exciting. Schlek! :thumbup:
  • Options
    :lol::lol::lol:

"Still, for general smugness, you just can't beat a good old-fashioned bike move, and here's one that took place recently in Boulder, CO"

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2010/06 ... -quiz.html
  • Options
    I hate rest days. Watched the history of the pyrenees on vs. They finished with 2003 when LA crashed as he caught a fan, then he slipped off he pedals and crunched forward on the handle bars. Then as he wins the stage Paul says "this is amazing Amrstrong was on the pavement and almost lost his manhhod on his handlebars, now he is poised to win the stage"
  • Options
    PJGirl321 wrote:

very nice :thumbup:
    consider it bookmarked.
    just what i need....another site to waste time on. :?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    imalive wrote:
    PJGirl321 wrote:

very nice :thumbup:
    consider it bookmarked.
    just what i need....another site to waste time on. :?

here's another one!

http://therobbyy.com/2010.html
  • Options
    will we see our first attacks on the sulour or are we gonna have to wait for the tourmalet!?? ... so far, it's playing out as expected ... lead group gets out and there really is no one team that can or wants to reel them in ...
  • Options
    I think the real business will start in the Tourmalet, an earlier attack would have been to, well, early... Too much of an energy waste while risking to be caught back in the descent.

Also, let me quite Uncle Jimi here: "Rainy day, rain all day." 8-)
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

• Options
    I'm working from home today so able to watch the TDF live in the background. Shout out to Fabian Cancellara for doing a great job. He led out the peleton and just dropped back. Hope he kicks butt in the time trial. He is a true champion and team player. (And he's a gorgeous man!!) :D

Fabian is the Eddie Vedder of cycling. :thumbup:
  • Options
    Good job Andy, nothing more he could do. Two great champions we're seeing this year.
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

• Options
    looking fwd to watching this evening
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:
    looking fwd to watching this evening

It's a good one!!
  • Options
    frig ... was in meetings all morning ... just watched the last 2 km on steephill.tv ... IN FLEMISH!! ... hahaha ...

great class by AC not to contest the sprint ...

BIG SHOUT OUT TO RYDER HESJEDAL!! ... 4th today!! ... that is awesome!!

here's hoping Andy can put in a blistering TT and maintain his second position overall!!
  • Options
    Tour de France: Carlos Sastre says pro cyclists are turning into 'spoiled brats'
    by Steve Jones at 3:23 PM EST
    Categories: Pro Cycling, Tour de France

Spaniard chimes in on cycling's "unwritten rules"
    Spaniard Carlos Sastre (Cervélo TestTeam) went out on the attack today in an attempt to seize his final chance at a stage victory in the 2010 Tour de France. The last day in the Pyrénées also gave the 2008 Tour winner an opportunity to reflect on recent events in cycling, and took time to speak his mind on those that have recently cried foul.

“Today was full of action and inspired a lot of talk. For some it has been a crazy day, for others it was a day filled with stupidity, and for a few it was a day of bravery and courage... As far as I was concerned, it was a day to enjoy myself on my bike,” Sastre said candidly of the Tour's last mountain stage.

Sastre had his sights set on reaching the Col du Tourmalet at the front of the race, and staying there until he hit the finish line. He ended up missing the first group of seven that formed the break of the day, but refused to write himself off and began what ended up being a 100 kilometer solo effort to the base of the legendary climb.

His lone sortie between the peloton and the breakaway started off on a resounding note that he felt compelled to echo at the end of the day with a bit of reflection.

“When I was starting [my attack], Alberto Contador came to tell me that there had been a fall behind. I told him that all that seemed well and good, but at the time I had a teammate up in front. They stopped [neutralized the race] and then when I reached the finish line they told me who had taken a fall”.

Euskaltel-Euskadi's Samuel Sánchez was in contention for the overall, but had hit the pavement hard during the stage. The sensativity of the peloton is at an all-time high following Andy Schleck's (Saxo Bank) mechanical earlier this week that cost him the yellow jersey. So much so, that the benefactor, Alberto Contador (Astana), did the unthinkable and "gifted" today's stage to the rider atop the Tourmalet.

“Whoever wants to start debating or raising controversy about this matter can do so freely. I’ve fallen in this Tour, I fell in the Giro d'Italia, I’ve had technical problems and no one has ever waited for me," he pointed out sharply. "I think we’re turning cycling into a sport for spoiled brats and that is what happens in these kinds of circumstances."

Many will agree with Sastre's comments, as it points out just how selective the "unwritten rules" in cycling are. Whether the rules are enforced seems to tie in with a popularity contest and, when they're not followed, a convenient excuse to hang failure on.

There are plenty of incidents this year that, when examined closely, may just put an end to riders being gifted second chances in the future. During stage three over the cobblestones nobody waited for Contador or the maillot jaune at the time, Sylvain Chavanel, and there were no complaints from the Astana or Quick Step camps. Conversely, the Spaniard's move in the heat of battle on the hors category Port de Balès was frowned upon. In retrospect, had stage two not been neutralized, Schleck's race would have been over a long time ago, and all of the friction up until now would be a moot point. As it stands, more times than not in this Tour the unwritten rules have yielded an unfair advantage rather than the intended honorable gesture since they have not been followed with any consistency.
  • Options
    PJGirl321 wrote:
    Tour de France: Carlos Sastre says pro cyclists are turning into 'spoiled brats'
    by Steve Jones at 3:23 PM EST
    Categories: Pro Cycling, Tour de France

Spaniard chimes in on cycling's "unwritten rules"
    Spaniard Carlos Sastre (Cervélo TestTeam) went out on the attack today in an attempt to seize his final chance at a stage victory in the 2010 Tour de France. The last day in the Pyrénées also gave the 2008 Tour winner an opportunity to reflect on recent events in cycling, and took time to speak his mind on those that have recently cried foul.

“Today was full of action and inspired a lot of talk. For some it has been a crazy day, for others it was a day filled with stupidity, and for a few it was a day of bravery and courage... As far as I was concerned, it was a day to enjoy myself on my bike,” Sastre said candidly of the Tour's last mountain stage.

Sastre had his sights set on reaching the Col du Tourmalet at the front of the race, and staying there until he hit the finish line. He ended up missing the first group of seven that formed the break of the day, but refused to write himself off and began what ended up being a 100 kilometer solo effort to the base of the legendary climb.

His lone sortie between the peloton and the breakaway started off on a resounding note that he felt compelled to echo at the end of the day with a bit of reflection.

“When I was starting [my attack], Alberto Contador came to tell me that there had been a fall behind. I told him that all that seemed well and good, but at the time I had a teammate up in front. They stopped [neutralized the race] and then when I reached the finish line they told me who had taken a fall”.

Euskaltel-Euskadi's Samuel Sánchez was in contention for the overall, but had hit the pavement hard during the stage. The sensativity of the peloton is at an all-time high following Andy Schleck's (Saxo Bank) mechanical earlier this week that cost him the yellow jersey. So much so, that the benefactor, Alberto Contador (Astana), did the unthinkable and "gifted" today's stage to the rider atop the Tourmalet.

“Whoever wants to start debating or raising controversy about this matter can do so freely. I’ve fallen in this Tour, I fell in the Giro d'Italia, I’ve had technical problems and no one has ever waited for me," he pointed out sharply. "I think we’re turning cycling into a sport for spoiled brats and that is what happens in these kinds of circumstances."

Many will agree with Sastre's comments, as it points out just how selective the "unwritten rules" in cycling are. Whether the rules are enforced seems to tie in with a popularity contest and, when they're not followed, a convenient excuse to hang failure on.

There are plenty of incidents this year that, when examined closely, may just put an end to riders being gifted second chances in the future. During stage three over the cobblestones nobody waited for Contador or the maillot jaune at the time, Sylvain Chavanel, and there were no complaints from the Astana or Quick Step camps. Conversely, the Spaniard's move in the heat of battle on the hors category Port de Balès was frowned upon. In retrospect, had stage two not been neutralized, Schleck's race would have been over a long time ago, and all of the friction up until now would be a moot point. As it stands, more times than not in this Tour the unwritten rules have yielded an unfair advantage rather than the intended honorable gesture since they have not been followed with any consistency.[/quote

I just read this. Love Sastre's comment's "it was a day to enjoy myself on my bike" also "that's well and good but I have a teamate up in front" Basically FU AC I am gone. Didn't LA gift a stage win to Pantanni one year and Pantanni was pissed. AC potentially wins the tour w/o winning a stage WTF (unless he wins the TT).
  • Options
    Pats54 wrote:
    I just read this. Love Sastre's comment's "it was a day to enjoy myself on my bike" also "that's well and good but I have a teamate up in front" Basically FU AC I am gone. Didn't LA gift a stage win to Pantanni one year and Pantanni was pissed. AC potentially wins the tour w/o winning a stage WTF (unless he wins the TT).

i don't think AC cares whether he wins a stage or not ... to me it's not really relevant ... look at the stage winners in general ... outside of shleck - they are all sandbagging the other stages so they can have a go at the other ones ... class move by contador to concede stage win considering chaingate and the fact andy did all the work ...

loved Andy's comment about how when he looked into Alberto's eyes - he saw that he was fine and that kinda killed him ... hahaha

i'm not sure why Sastre didn't ease up when his gap wasn't going down ... let the peleton catch up and then work on the tourmalet ... guess he knew he couldn't win the stage without being in the lead ...